The Official Feminist/Womanist/Women's Issues Thread :umad:

PlainSight

Anon
Daps
Reppin
UK
I feel like a hypocrite when it comes to male gaze because I like looking at womens bodies.... :mjcry:
I'm addicted. It's not just one type, it's all types. I see fat girls that I think are sexy. I can't help but look sometimes - but sometimes I feel creepy afterwards :russ:. When I chopped it up with a girl I dated very briefly, she said it wasn't a big problem and that it's more of a problem when it's portrayed as a media phenomenon, and it's only really started to change recently with male bodies being subject to increasing objectification - although nowhere near the same way women experience sexual objectification, which I assume is the argument against male gaze.

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
I'm addicted. It's not just one type, it's all types. I see fat girls that I think are sexy. I can't help but look sometimes - but sometimes I feel creepy afterwards :russ:. When I chopped it up with a girl I dated very briefly, she said it wasn't a big problem and that it's more of a problem when it's portrayed as a media phenomenon, and it's only really started to change recently with male bodies being subject to increasing objectification - although nowhere near the same way women experience sexual objectification, which I assume is the argument against male gaze.
I feel you breh :noah:
I feel like theres nothing wrong with it as long as you keep it discreet
nothing wrong with being attracted to women
I guess the argument is how women are used to attract male gaze, in media like you said
women being props pretty much

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
I wanted to get some opinions on the male gaze :ehh:

I understand that this is a problem that sometimes ties in with street harassment, and I've been conscious of myself looking at girls a bit too hard in the last year. Like most men, I'm very much an admirer of a woman's beauty, I'd wager quite a lot. But at the same time, is it uncomfortable when men look a bit too hard? :lupe:

Most of the time, I can't help it :russ:
It's ok to look but if I catch you have the decency to look away or something. If I turn away and look disinterested, stop staring.

Some guys will do the :shaq: stare until you finally look up at them and then they think it's an invitation to come talk to you. So I have to try to avoid eye contact with people when I'm out and about.

bcrusaderw

Banned
Supporter
Daps
To tie into this I think that women wouldn't talk about it this much if men were objectified in the same way. Men don't want that. Do you know how many people have complained about my eggplant thread, but who participate in and enjoy the many threads here that objectify women (@SuperCoolP_Cal comes to mind), yet most women here don't complain about those threads. Dudes don't like it when "beauty standards" are placed on them.

PlainSight

Anon
Daps
Reppin
UK
It's ok to look but if I catch you have the decency to look away or something. If I turn away and look disinterested, stop staring.

Some guys will do the :shaq: stare until you finally look up at them and then they think it's an invitation to come talk to you. So I have to try to avoid eye contact with people when I'm out and about.
Yeah, I used to look away guilty like I got caught stealing :russ:

I'm much more discreet about it now that I'm a bit older and more socially aware.

William F. Russell

11x Champion; 5x MVP; 1st Black Coach
Supporter
Daps
To tie into this I think that women wouldn't talk about it this much if men were objectified in the same way. Men don't want that. Do you know how many people have complained about my eggplant thread, but who participate in and enjoy the many threads here that objectify women (@SuperCoolP_Cal comes to mind), yet most women here don't complain about those threads. Dudes don't like it when "beauty standards" are placed on them.

Receipts on me objectifying women or :camby:

Keep my name out of your posts.

PlainSight

Anon
Daps
Reppin
UK
I don't mind compliments, just silently staring or making rude gestures is creepy.
I find that the least intimidating and least inappropriate way for me to play it off is to smile softly and then look away in a relaxed and passive manner. The smile tends to be returned and that's that. Probably the only time it's more difficult is when it's dark and a woman is on her own walking past me. I tend to move away towards the other side of the pavement and let her past. Sometimes we will give each other a knowing look, because I recognize how shytty guys can be when women are on their own going down the street at night time, particularly in certain areas of London.

I've seen that more in real life - hell, I've even experienced it. I remember when girls we grew up around all wanted us to have our hair long and look like Omarion - I hated B2K when I was young :russ:. It puts the shoe on the other foot, which - while isn't necessarily a good thing either - at least allows a young man to understand just a microcosm of a woman's experience. Just a small smidgen though, as I can never really understand that experience.

I feel like most feminists get misunderstood in all honesty. Any time I've spoken at length with one, it's been relatively easy for me to understand where she's coming from without taking offense to her critique of men - most ideologies tend to have different branches within and feminism is no different. Much like listening to Classical music - some people prefer the technical qualities of Baroque or Renaissance compositions, but I prefer the Romantic Era. To some people, it's all "classical shyt that I don't listen to :manny:". I feel like guys take that attitude with feminism.

Also, many feel feminism has a hand in destroying the nuclear family unit, but is that the only acceptable way to exist in society?

William F. Russell

11x Champion; 5x MVP; 1st Black Coach
Supporter
Daps
You objectified me when you sent me those dikk pics. :mjcry:

You're a certified retard. How does one who sends a pic of himself to another person objectify the recipient of said pic?

I honestly think you liked the pics. You bring up every chance you get. From now on, I won't respond to any provocation from you. I'll simply neg you every 3 days.

thirdeye

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I wanted to get some opinions on the male gaze :ehh:

I understand that this is a problem that sometimes ties in with street harassment, and I've been conscious of myself looking at girls a bit too hard in the last year. Like most men, I'm very much an admirer of a woman's beauty, I'd wager quite a lot. But at the same time, is it uncomfortable when men look a bit too hard? :lupe:

Most of the time, I can't help it :russ:

I'd rather a guy come up to me and be like hey, you look great than lurk from afar. Only because him gazing from afar would make me all self-conscious and sweaty :mjcry:

bcrusaderw

Banned
Supporter
Daps
You're a certified retard. How does one who sends a pic of himself to another person objectify the recipient of said pic?

I honestly think you liked the pics. You bring up every chance you get. From now on, I won't respond to any provocation from you. I'll simply neg you every 3 days.
:dead: I'm clearly fukking with you something you seem to enjoy. :shaq: Dedicating your time to neg me every three days? I'll be waiting, bae.