The Official Feminist/Womanist/Women's Issues Thread :umad:

agnosticlady

AL loves da kids : )
Daps
I don't understand the point of black women being feminist, or womanist. When that black woman Sandra Bland was killed in Texas I didn't see a group of feminist come out for her. When Pharell/Robin Thicke/T.I. made that video and women were WILLINGLY dancing around it feminist were going crazy. I see this time and time again.

agnosticlady

Daps
Its not shaming, its a question as to what is it that you are now "primed" to do, if you're not a mother/wife.........

Second question is in line with the first.....what is the end goal for this feminist/womanist movement........it looks as if the end goal that we've encountered in our communities are broken families, while this movement to want "something else" continue.....

I've been saying the same thing. I don't understand the point of black women being feminist trying to fight a racist patriarchal oppressive system alone. So after all the talking and educating is done what happens next? Although black men and black women have some distinct issues when it comes to be oppressed in this racist system we're all seen as black before we are seen as any gender. They are spreading feminism in Africa. What kills me is the fact that they are talking about women rights and women finally having opportunities. They are subliminally disrespecting the men by saying, "We are finally bringing you opportunities that your men would never let you have.". People fail to realize that women in Africa were and are respected (sometimes depending on the culture). Women also held high positions in society, but European colonization and etc ruined the infrastructure and society that Africans had built. It was the Europeans that originally started the, "bytch go make my sandwich" movement.

Medicate

Old School New School Need To Learn Though
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Ok, so from the little bit of Googling I've done, it seems Gloria Steinem's CIA involvement was concerning propaganda. They first used her in Vienna to combat Soviet propaganda.

Then I found this page: (I saw many articles written by men but I wanted to get an less biased account)
harrietfraad - Writings - The Feminist Movement - What Happened and Why?

So it seems, that within the second wave of feminism, there were two groups: The Women's Liberation Movement which was inclusive, inspired by the Civil Rights movement and touted justice for all; and the gendered feminist group, run by priveleged educated mainly white women. With alleged CIA funding, Steinem became the face nc leader of Second Wave Feminism, overshadowing the Women's Lib Movement. That's the gist that I got.

:ld:

Not surprising. Propaganda is a powerful tool used for social conditioning and engineering. Gloria Steinem herself is a self proclaimed "radical feminist", has multiple times mentioned her (previous) connection with the CIA.

Now onto the "juicy" bit:

http://www.wrongkindofgreen.org/2012/05/01/black-feminism-the-cia-and-gloria-steinem/
This article claims, Steinem ghost wrote and promoted a book, "Black Macho and the Myth of Black Superwoman" for Michelle Wallace.

The book then insulted Black men and the Black Power Movement, inspiring Black Feminism and "Hate Black Men" media. :skip:

Here is a recent article on the website for Steinem's magazine which featured and promoted Wallace and her book.
Black History Month: The Myth of the Black Superwoman, Revisited

And here is Wallace's own blog:
Soul Pictures: Black Feminist Generations: Photo Essay: Black Macho and The Myth of The Superwoman 1970s

My response:
It is sad how Wallace was treated and used by people to push their own agenda. However, again I am not surprised by any of this. Feminism is not a monolithic group. Within feminism there are different groups and ideologies. Every thinks they know what's best for women.

I am glad that you brought this up, because it encourages people to do their own research, to question what they hear and read and to come to their own conclusions.

I don't think most Black Feminists/ Womanists hate black men or want to tear apart Black families. I think whenever you have a disadvantaged group trying to regain power or find their strength there is going to be some resistance and power struggles. Most people don't like change. I do think tho that Black women are more oppressed by White men, the ones in power, but we also have issues with men in general. We still have to deal with issues in our community and in the home.

Women are multi-taskers we are able to make decisions based on multiple varying factors. Men in general think more compartmentalized, solve one problem first, then move on to the next. Men are more black/white, while women are more shades of grey. Men are more like opened/closed circuits, on/off switches while women are more like dimmers lol.

Both ways of thinking are important.

:hug:Great breakdown.....See I already studied this stuff, but I understand most probably haven't and I'm glad I was able to steer you a little towards the truth, while still maintaining your own thought, which in itself isn't wrong, everything you said was correct, even your own take..I think our people, especially black women, rather the older gen or the current gen, along with the bros should remain open minded on this, but make sure to identify the ills and the gains........

Medicate

Old School New School Need To Learn Though
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
It's all about priorities.

Women do not want to have to rely on a man, because if you don't have one you are pretty much SOL. So they fight for opportunities for women.

Some women put career first, sacrificing family. Some women put family first sacrificing career. Now, the problem occurs when women want both. They stretch themselves thin. I'm I saying it's impossible? No, but I do believe in the importance of two parent households. Just because you can raise a child alone doesn't mean you should or that it is ideal.

Women who put their career first have children later in life, which is more risky for both mother and child, which is why fertility clinics make so much money today. People are waiting later to have kids. Men too, men don't want to settle down as early, they want to play the field.

Now, career women actually help with the Black struggle. Women are becoming more educated. Like I said, both masculine and feminine ways of thinking and action are needed. However, we need to remember to work together. I do agree that white supremacy succeeds when we fight eachother. We both need to be receptive to eachothers issues and learn to effective communicate without putting eachother down. We are a family, a unit. We have more power when we work together.

If what you imply is true, then yes, the CIA used Steinem to twist real issues and use them as an opportunity to divide black men and women. They didn't create the issues tho. They were already there for centuries.

Men are strong, but you are even stronger and wiser when you have women backing you up. You must also value and protect your women.

On point. I can't disagree with any parts......:leon:

bcrusaderw

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I don't understand the point of black women being feminist, or womanist. When that black woman Sandra Bland was killed in Texas I didn't see a group of feminist come out for her. When Pharell/Robin Thicke/T.I. made that video and women were WILLINGLY dancing around it feminist were going crazy. I see this time and time again.
Just NO.

agnosticlady

Daps

It's true. Feminist run their mouth all day every day. I did not see feminist/womanist as a whole come out for Sandra. I did see black women speak up but the vast majority of feminist were quite. You can lie to yourself all you want, but if it helps you sleep better at night then ok.

bcrusaderw

Banned
Supporter
Daps
It's true. Feminist run their mouth all day every day. I did not see feminist/womanist as a whole come out for Sandra. I did see black women speak up but the vast majority of feminist were quite. You can lie to yourself all you want, but if it helps you sleep better at night then ok.
:dead: You don't follow any black feminists. If you did you'd know that black feminists have been at the forefront of police brutality cases PERIOD, but especially the female cases that get no recognition.

agnosticlady

Daps
:dead: You don't follow any black feminists. If you did you'd know that black feminists have been at the forefront of police brutality cases PERIOD, but especially the female cases that get no recognition.

No, I know black feminist and most of them are illogical.

bcrusaderw

Banned
Supporter
Daps
No, I know black feminist and most of them are illogical.
You prove every day how illogical you are. The 10 max black feminists you know represent all womanosts/black feminists? You are a true simpleton, but what could one expect from someone who considered a degree in Fashion at one point?

agnosticlady

Daps
You prove every day how illogical you are. The 10 max black feminists you know represent all womanosts/black feminists? You are a true simpleton, but what could one expect from someone who considered a degree in Fashion at one point?

I3M6VMZ.gif

agnosticlady

Daps
but you did, that's why you responded
Seriously, you have said yourself that you don't believe in feminism/womanism.
You hate it so much but you stay in threads trying to dispute others' viewpoints.
Just Leave! It's so obvious what you're doing, it's sad and pathetic at this point.:smh:

So I can't express my opinion? Clearly the OP asked for one's opnion concerning it and I answered. There are threads on here black feminist disagree with yet they still post in those threads. No I didn't read @bcrusaderw post. I'm not going back and forth with a person that is borderline mentally ill, and wants a lapdog for a man.