Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Who is your No. 1 prospect right now?
Givony: I'm going with Ball, both because of the things I described earlier as well as some of the reservations I have about Edwards.

For as impressive a half as Edwards had against Michigan State, part of me wonders if there's some fool's gold there. His attempts were so tough that it might be unlikely to expect that production on a game-by-game basis. Until I see Edwards consistently create and convert as many easy looks for himself and teammates as he does difficult ones, my vote for No. 1 will be with Ball.

A bigger, stronger, longer, more athletic version of Lou Williams sounds awesome in theory, but you need more than that to win games on nights when the jumper isn't falling. Let's see if Edwards is able to get going inside the arc a little more as the season moves on. So far his finishing in the half court has been fairly pedestrian -- he's shooting under 50% inside the paint, per Synergy Sports tracking, and he's not even getting there very often, averaging fewer than four shots per game. On top of that, he's sporting a near 1-1 assist-to-turnover ratio. Part of that is due to the personnel around him -- and partially due to his own propensity to settle -- but there's a lot of room for improvement.

Ball's sample size is bigger and more impressive at the moment. But we still have a lot of basketball left.

Schmitz: For as high as I am on Edwards, I still give the slight edge to Ball. His feel and creativity as a 6-7 point guard gives him franchise-changing potential. There's no question that Edwards has all the ingredients to become a future star and eventually one of the more dynamic scorers in the NBA, but Ball's vision, basketball instincts, flair and never-ending confidence give him superstar upside pending his landing spot and how he develops. Edwards is certainly more physically gifted and a better half-court scorer. However, his feel for the game remains a question.

I don't think there's a huge gap between the two, though. It's more a matter of preference, as they're very different prospects. Should Edwards continue improving his habits and start taking over games for Georgia, he'll certainly challenge Ball for the top spot. But for now, I'll roll with LaMelo.

Kimo_bud

Banned
Daps
Reppin
LWO
I would not pick ball. He been around the world and in a reality series? Nah dude them warning signs are there

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Ranking the top 25 high school players regardless of class

In June, ESPN took a crack at ranking the best players in the top three classes of high school basketball, regardless of class, with the sensational Emoni Bates topping our list back then. The list has undergone some revision since that time, but the top three have remained unchanged, with Bates, USC-bound Evan Mobley, and Oklahoma State-bound Cade Cunningham still occupying the initial spots.

In this update, we've also provided a player comparison for each of the 25 stars on our list. To be clear, the prospects below don't yet have the skills of the established NBA talents listed, but they do have the potential to develop based on their similar games and makeup.

1. Emoni Bates (2022 class; SF, 6-foot-8, 200 pounds, Lincoln/Ypsilanti, Michigan)

Bates checks every box you want in a basketball player: advanced ball skills on the perimeter; and his handle to drive and eye discipline to make the assist are impressive. He is posting high-level performances regularly and oozes with potential down the road.
Player comparison: Kevin Durant

2. Evan Mobley (2020 class; C, 7-0, 205, Rancho Christian School/Temecula, California) -- committed to USC

Mobley demonstrates fluidity and mobility to combine with a soft scoring touch both inside and out. Will change any game with his shot-blocking prowess. Upside is in his strength.
Player comparison: Chris Bosh

3. Cade Cunningham (2020 class; PG, 6-7, 215, Montverde Academy (Florida)/Arlington, Texas) -- committed to Oklahoma State

Combines talent, leadership traits and toughness. A strong sit-and-slide defender with the talent to play anywhere on the perimeter. His jump shot is showing more consistency. An alpha who affects winning.
Player comparison: Malcolm Brogdon

4. Jonathan Kuminga (2021 class; SF, 6-7, 210, The Patrick School (New Jersey)/Elizabeth, New Jersey)

A powerful, college-ready frame with versatility. A high-level athlete whose skill set is making progress. His upside as a switch defender is there if he gets serious about defense.
Player comparison: Andrew Wiggins

5. Chet Holmgren (2021 class; C, 7-0, 175, Minnehaha Academy/Minneapolis)

Holmgren owns the size of a center with the floor game of a guard. A true unicorn at his size, as he displays high-level ball skills with athleticism to match. Enormous length and wingspan make him an automatic rim protector.
Player comparison: Kristaps Porzingis

6. Jalen Green (2020 class; SG, 6-5, 180, Prolific Prep (California)/Fresno, California)

An NBA athlete right now and one of the best finishers and dunkers in all of high school basketball. Potential is there to be a scary defender with his length, speed and quickness. Can be as good as he wants.
Player comparison: Andrew Wiggins

7. Jalen Johnson (2020 class; SF, 6-8, 210, IMG Academy (Florida)/Glendale, Wisconsin) -- committed to Duke

He epitomizes the word versatility, as his game touches many different categories. A big wing who handles with control, facilitates with vision and accuracy, and has scoring instincts to produce points. A possible triple-double threat at the end of a game.
Player comparison: Ben Simmons

8. Ziaire Williams (2020 class; SF, 6-8, 180, Sierra Canyon/Chatsworth, California)

The jumper is silky soft, and he is equally comfortable and confident shooting off the catch or from a rhythm-dribble pull-up. Easily one of the most dangerous shooters in the game. Finesse and fluidness make him special.
Player comparison: Paul George

9. Jalen Suggs (2020 class; PG, 6-4, 195, Minnehaha Academy/Minneapolis)

Extremely explosive with great speed in the open floor. Can play on or off the ball to score or distribute. Also plays quarterback in football, which enhances his competitiveness, leadership and toughness.
Player comparison: Jrue Holiday

10. Terrence Clarke (2020 class; SF, 6-7, 190, Brewster Academy/Wolfeboro, New Hampshire) -- committed to Kentucky

It's hard to find a player who combines more athletic ability and scoring ability than Clarke. A slender frame with elite fast-twitch fibers and the natural ability to create his own shot or score off the ball.
Player comparison: Tracy McGrady

11. Patrick Baldwin Jr. (2021 class; PF, 6-9, 200, Hamilton/Sussex, Wisconsin)

One of the elite shooters in the high school game. Shot preparation is strong, and balance on his shot is pure. Brings a strong basketball IQ to the floor. His father, Patrick Sr., is the men's basketball head coach at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
Player comparison: Klay Thompson

12. Scottie Barnes (2020 class; PF, 6-7, 210, Montverde Academy/West Palm Beach, Florida) -- committed to Florida State

Dominates the game inside the arc and inside the paint on both ends of the floor. Advanced playmaker, rebounder and defender. His intensity level has been much more consistent of late.
Player comparison: Draymond Green

13. Paolo Banchero (2021 class; PF, 6-8, 230, O'Dea/Seattle)

Loves to carve out space and rebound with his strong lower body. Confident and under control with his back to the basket, and will sprinkle in a high post drive or jumper. Clever, effective and productive at a young age.
Player comparison: Carlos Boozer

14. Jabari Smith (2021 class; PF, 6-8, 190, Sandy Creek/Tyrone, Georgia)

Exudes potential and production keeps improving. He owns length, finesse and enough physicality to play both inside and out. Footwork is smooth as he operates from the high post or the wing. He is tracking toward the top of his class.
Player comparison: Paul Millsap

15. Greg Brown (2020 class; PF, 6-8, 205, Vandegrift/Austin, Texas)

Beyond explosive in terms of his quick and powerful vertical jump. Also enjoys an impressive second jump. Brown thrives in the transition game while finalizing plays and is ambitious on the glass. A track star as a high jumper too.
Player comparison: Aaron Gordon

16. Makur Maker (2020 class; C, 6-11, 235, Orange Lutheran/Orange, California)

The cousin of Thon Maker, he runs with effort and displays outstanding mobility for a 7-footer. An ambitious rebounder who understands how to create space underneath. His ballhandling is evident in the open floor, as is his passing vision, and he scores at a high percentage inside the arc.
Player comparison: A stronger Thon Maker

17. Jalen Duren (2022 class; C, 6-9, 210, Roman Catholic/Philadelphia)

Physically imposing at his age, Duren utilizes his strong and mobile frame as high-level rebounder, and he is a good rim protector. He will finalize the play with his impressive frame and great hands.
Player comparison: Chris Webber

18. Josh Christopher (2020 class; SG, 6-4, 205, Mayfair/Lakewood, California)

Strong and powerful body with a dynamic flair in the open floor. Earns plenty of three-point plays finishing through contact. Also knocks down 3s. Loves to rebound, push and make plays.
Player comparison: Emmanuel Mudiay.

19. B.J. Boston (2020 class; SF, 6-6, 175, Sierra Canyon/Chatsworth, California) -- committed to Kentucky

A slender scoring machine with a smooth jumper and wiggle in his drive game to elude defenders. Rebounds with length and shows a natural feel for the offensive end.
Player comparison: Brandon Ingram

20. Isaiah Todd (2020 class; PF, 6-9, 215, Word of God Christian Academy (North Carolina)/Richmond, Virginia) -- committed to Michigan

Size, skill and athletic ability allow Todd to score in the paint and beyond the arc. Displays versatility to finish with either hand inside or can trail the break and utilize his mobility and jumper to score.
Player comparison: Bobby Portis

21. Jaden Hardy (2021 class; SG, 6-4, 185, Coronado/Henderson, Nevada)

A pure combination guard who can light up the scoreboard or be a playmaker, Hardy handles the ball in the open floor or off a ball screen with effectiveness, and his big body and body control allows his to finish at the rim.
Player comparison: D'Angelo Russell.

22. Michael Foster (2021 class; PF, 6-8, 220, Hillcrest Prep/Milwaukee)

A hard-dunking lob-catcher who shows a dominant inside post game along with a developing ability to stretch the floor via his jumper and drive game.
Player comparison: Jeff Green

23. Moussa Diabate (2021 class; PF, 6-10, 190, IMG Academy/Bradenton, Florida)

A slim frame with a persistent motor who can grab it off the board, push it and finish with a dunk. The native of France has an effective face-up game from inside the arc.
Player comparison: Pascal Siakam

24. Moussa Cisse (2021 class; C, 6-11, 210, Lausanne Collegiate School/Memphis)

Changes the game on the defensive end with his shot-blocking prowess and rebounding. Runs well and finishes at the rim with strength and explosion.
Player comparison: Clint Capela

25. A.J. Griffin (2021 class; SF, 6-6, 195, Archbishop Stepinac/White Plains, New York) -- committed to Duke

The Duke commit Griffin comes from an athletic family. His father, Adrian, played at Seton Hall and then nine years in the NBA, and his mom, Audrey, was an All-American in track for the Pirates. His passing and shot-blocking proficiency stand out.
Player comparison: Jimmy Butler

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

1. Cincinnati Bengals
Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

Accuracy, toughness and pocket awareness -- the total package. That's what the Bengals would get with Burrow in their first No. 1 overall pick since Carson Palmer in 2003. Andy Dalton isn't owed any guaranteed money in 2020 and could be released, and Ryan Finley didn't look like the long-term answer in his terrible three-game stint as starter. It's time to get Zac Taylor a quarterback to build around.

i

2. New York Giants
Chase Young, DE, Ohio State*

The Giants need help everywhere, especially on defense. Enter Young and his 16.5 sacks. New York hasn't had anyone hit double-digit sacks since 2014 (Jason Pierre-Paul, 12.5), and Young is the best edge-rushing prospect I've seen since Von Miller entered the draft. The Heisman Trophy finalist would be a fantastic get for this rebuilding club.

i

3. Washington Redskins

Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama*

Washington needs an offensive tackle and some cornerback help, but it also has to get more playmakers around rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins. And it would be really hard to pass on adding Jeudy opposite Terry McLaurin. Jeudy is by far the best route runner in the country.

i

4. Miami Dolphins
Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama*

Let's start off the Dolphins' draft -- which includes three first-rounders and an assortment of picks -- with a franchise quarterback. There obviously are some medical concerns, but with Ryan Fitzpatrick still under contract for 2020, Tagovailoa wouldn't need to be immediately forced onto the field. And when he does get the call, he brings high-end accuracy and excellent anticipation.

i

5. Detroit Lions
Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State*

It's time for the Lions to take their first Day 1 cornerback since Terry Fair in 1998. The big and athletic Okudah has all the tools to be a No. 1 corner in the NFL and would be the sixth Buckeyes defensive back in the past five years to go in Round 1.

i

6. Arizona Cardinals
CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma*

The Cards got their quarterback last April, but they really need to find Kyler Murray some help in the offense, especially considering Larry Fitzgerald will be 37 years old next season and isn't currently signed after this year. So how about Murray's former Oklahoma teammate? Lamb can create separation and is extremely talented creating after the catch.

i

7. New York Jets
Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia*

When you invest an early draft pick in a franchise quarterback, as the Jets did with Sam Darnold in 2018, you have to protect him. New York hasn't, allowing 48 sacks this season (fourth most in the NFL). Both tackle positions could be upgraded in the offseason. Thomas is athletic and powerful, and he shows natural ability in the trenches.

i

8. Jacksonville Jaguars
Isaiah Simmons, OLB, Clemson*

Simmons is a perfect fit for today's NFL and is simply too talented to pass on here. He can pass rush off the edge, and he can drop in coverage. He does it all. The defensive line is stacked, but Simmons would help the second level of the Jags' front seven as a replacement for Telvin Smith.

i

9. Carolina Panthers
Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn

I thought about Justin Herbert here, but the Oregon quarterback has been too inconsistent. I'd rather keep developing Kyle Allen and Will Grier right now. Instead, let's hand Carolina a difference-maker on the interior of the defensive line, especially since Dontari Poe is likely gone after the season. Brown is a complete player with the length and quickness that NFL teams seek.

i

10. Los Angeles Chargers
Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon

Philip Rivers is a 38-year-old pending free agent, so the Chargers absolutely have to think quarterback this year. As mentioned, Herbert still has some consistency issues, but he has great, 6-foot-6 size, good mobility and a really live arm. Tyrod Taylor has another year on his contract, and he served as a bridge to Baker Mayfield for Cleveland in the past; Taylor could do it again in L.A. with Herbert.

i

11. Las Vegas Raiders
Paulson Adebo, CB, Stanford*

With the Raiders' first of two Day 1 picks in their first year in Vegas, a playmaking ball hawk in the secondary could do wonders. The Raiders are tied for the ninth-fewest interceptions in the NFL (nine), and no Oakland corner has multiple picks. Meanwhile, 2017 first-rounder Gareon Conley was dealt to Houston at midseason. Adebo has eight interceptions over the past two seasons at Stanford.

i

12. Denver Broncos
Grant Delpit, S, LSU*

Denver could lose soon-to-be free agents Chris Harris Jr. and Justin Simmons from its secondary, and Delpit is a rangy, instinctive safety who would help fill a moderate need. The Broncos could also badly use an upgrade at offensive tackle, but there just isn't one who fits at No. 12. And I like Drew Lock, but if the Broncos aren't sold on the rookie QB, it's not out of the question for them to move up for Herbert. Lots of options for Denver.

i

13. Atlanta Falcons
CJ Henderson, CB, Florida*

It's too early to reach for an edge rusher -- this isn't a deep class of first-round pass-rushers -- so let's check off another box: cornerback. Henderson's speed makes him a strong man-coverage defender, and he would be welcomed into a defense that allows 253.7 passing yards per game.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

14. Cleveland Browns
Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson*

I'd love to get Baker Mayfield some protection, but there isn't a lineman still available whom I rate high enough to take the plunge here. And considering the lack of depth behind Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry, wide receiver is actually a sneaky need for the Browns. Higgins gives Mayfield a super-strong, 6-foot-4 target for the red zone.

i

15. Indianapolis Colts
Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU*

Seven of 10 Indianapolis picks in 2019 went toward the defense. One of the other three was second-rounder Parris Campbell, who has been limited by injuries to seven games this season. Coupling that with T.Y. Hilton's own battle with the injury list, the Colts should address the wideout position. Jefferson gives Jacoby Brissett a reliable pass-catcher on the outside who excels at adjusting his routes to get open.

i

16. Las Vegas Raiders (from CHI)
Laviska Shenault Jr., WR, Colorado*

We went playmaking corner at No. 11 for the Raiders. Now let's go playmaking wide receiver here. Coach Jon Gruden will love Shenault's versatility and after-the-catch skill set. After the Antonio Brown trade didn't work out, only two teams' receivers have tallied fewer receiving yards this season than the Raiders'.

i

17. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina

The Bucs still need to answer the "Is Jameis Winston our quarterback?" question, and that offensive line shouldn't be ignored. But with no value available on the board at either position, we turn to the best available player: Kinlaw. Ndamukong Suh, Beau Allen and Jason Pierre-Paul are all set to hit the open market, so Tampa Bay could use Kinlaw's versatility and twitchiness on that defensive line.

i

18. Philadelphia Eagles
Henry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama*

Alshon Jeffrey and Nelson Agholor lead the Eagles' wide receivers in yards with 490 and 363, respectively. And both have dealt with injuries this season. Last year's second-rounder J.J. Arcega-Whiteside has just eight catches. Plain and simple: Philly must have speed and difference-makers at the position, and while Ruggs needs some development as a route runner, you can't coach his 4.3 speed. He just explodes off the line of scrimmage.

i

19. Jacksonville Jaguars (from LAR)
Raekwon Davis, DT, Alabama

With little value in the way of offensive line here, let's continue building a top-notch front seven after taking Simmons in the top 10. Davis might not be a high-end pass-rusher, but he is disruptive and a physical freak who comes with versatility. And former first-rounder Taven Bryan hasn't worked out in the middle. The Jags' run defense is giving up 140-plus yards on the ground per game (fourth most in the NFL).

i

20. Miami Dolphins (from PIT)
Curtis Weaver, DE, Boise State*

It makes the most sense, considering the range, value and need, to go with an edge rusher here for Miami's second pick. Weaver is extremely productive -- 13.5 sacks this season -- and one of the more underrated talents in the class. Stacking him next to 2019 top pick Christian Wilkins is certainly a good place to start in rebuilding the defensive line.

i

21. Tennessee Titans
D'Andre Swift, RB, Georgia*

Despite being right in the thick of a playoff hunt, the Titans do have a few areas of immediate need. And, of course, they'll need to evaluate their options with quarterback Ryan Tannehill. But Derrick Henry is a pending free agent, which means Swift's explosiveness would provide either insurance in case Tennessee loses Henry in the offseason or a potential upgrade from pass-catching scatback Dion Lewis alongside Henry in the more likely case he stays in Nashville.

i

22. Dallas Cowboys
Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama*

Dallas has needed a safety for years. And now with the possibility of cornerback Byron Jones leaving in the offseason, the Cowboys can't keep waiting to address the secondary. McKinney has range and fills holes in the run game.

i

23. Buffalo Bills
Brandon Aiyuk, WR, Arizona State

Yes, John Brown and Cole Beasley have been a big part of the Bills' offense in quarterback Josh Allen's second season, but that doesn't mean the team doesn't need more help on that side of the ball. Aiyuk improves Buffalo's receiving corps with his versatility and speed. But don't be surprised if the Bills consider an edge rusher or cornerback here.

i

24. Miami Dolphins (from HOU)
Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama*

Miami has allowed an NFL-high 54 sacks, and there are two games yet to be played. And if you're going to use a top-five pick on a quarterback with an injury history, you better take a long look at your offensive line, too. Leatherwood can play tackle or guard and has good pop and quickness. This is a great value pick here to close out Miami's eventful first round.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

25. Minnesota Vikings
Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia

Hall's season was cut short by an ankle injury, but he has speed and length and is particularly strong in zone looks. Xavier Rhodes has struggled in coverage this season, and both Trae Waynes and Mackensie Alexander will be free agents in the spring. And coach Mike Zimmer loves his corners: Minnesota has drafted four in the first or second round since 2013.

i

26. Green Bay Packers
DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama*

My arm is getting tired from banging the table for more help for Aaron Rodgers. The Packers chose to go defense in the first round in April, and they haven't taken a Day 1 wide receiver since Javon Walker in 2002. Let's end that streak with Smith, who has great hands and ability after the catch. He would join Jeudy and Ruggs as the first three wideouts from one college to be taken in the first round of the same draft in the common draft era (since 1967).

i

27. Seattle Seahawks
Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida State*

Free agency could demolish the Seahawks' personnel in the trenches. On defense alone, they might lose Jadeveon Clowney, Jarran Reed, Al Woods, Ezekiel Ansah and Quinton Jefferson. Wilson won't give you high sack totals, but he is very disruptive on the interior of the line.

i

28. Kansas City Chiefs
Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU

With the unit's top three guys -- Bashaud Breeland, Kendall Fuller and Morris Claiborne -- all staring at free agency, the Chiefs once again might need to fixate on the secondary. Fulton might be a bit of a reach, but at this stage in the first round, focusing on a need isn't a bad idea for Kansas City. He makes splash plays with his high-end ball skills, acceleration and instincts.

i

29. New Orleans Saints
A.J. Epenesa, DE, Iowa*

The Saints' defensive line depth has been ravaged this season, and Epenesa is a powerful end with a high ceiling. The Saints also have a need at receiver, and they could keep a close eye on the quarterback class, with Drew Brees and Teddy Bridgewater headed to free agency. But Epenesa offers the best value at No. 29, and adding a quality edge rusher is never a bad call.

i

30. New England Patriots
Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa*

The obvious need here is quarterback, though New England might want more time to evaluate Jarrett Stidham as the future if Tom Brady ever calls it quits. But losing Trent Brown after the 2018 season opened a need for an offensive tackle opposite Isaiah Wynn. Wirfs is athletic and has some upside.

i

31. San Francisco 49ers
J.K. Dobbins, RB, Ohio State*

The Niners are No. 2 in the NFL in rushing and have used a plethora of backs to get there. But considering Matt Breida will be a free agent after San Francisco's playoff bid, Tevin Coleman's $0 in guaranteed money after this season and the high value Dobbins presents here, I like the idea of bringing in another versatile offensive weapon for Jimmy Garoppolo and padding a strength for this team. But don't be surprised to see the 49ers trade out of the spot altogether with just six picks in the entire draft and only one before Day 3.

i

32. Baltimore Ravens
Yetur Gross-Matos, DE, Penn State*

I thought about Wisconsin center Tyler Biadasz here, but Baltimore really needs another edge rusher. The Ravens have a middle-of-the-road sack total this season (34), and Matthew Judon will hit free agency. Gross-Matos needs some development, but he is an above-average pass-rusher and closes well.