Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

1. Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama*
HT: 6-foot-1 | WT: 218 | Previously: 2

Tagovailoa is my new top prospect, but he has had the same grade as the next two guys over the past few months. It's really tight at the top. The lefty is completing 73.6% of his passes -- up from 69% -- with 27 touchdowns and only one interception this season. He's averaging 11 yards per attempt, and his 96.1 Total QBR ranks first in FBS. He has been tremendous and even more efficient than his stellar 2018. Tagovailoa has elite accuracy and great footwork, and his arm strength looks improved in his second season as the full-time starter. I'm already circling Nov. 9 on my calendar -- that's LSU at Bama. Can't wait to see Tagovailoa and Joe Burrow on the same field.

i

2. Chase Young, DE, Ohio State*
HT: 6-foot-5 | WT: 265 | Previously: 3
Sometimes we hype up prospects before the season, and then they're slow to make an impact. Not Young. He has 8.5 sacks in six games, and those numbers don't show his full dominance. Just watch the tape from Ohio State's big win over Miami (Ohio), in which he had two strip sacks, and the Redhawks' offensive tackles had no chance to stop him. The NFL loves twitchy edge rushers who can get after quarterbacks, and that's Young. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go off the board first in April. He caught my eye as a true freshman in 2017, and he really came on last season, picking up the production with Nick Bosa sidelined. Young finished with 9.5 sacks and 14.5 total tackles for loss in 2018.

i

3. Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama*
Height: 6-foot-1 | Weight: 192 | Previously: 1

Jeudy was No. 1 on my past two Big Boards, and he has lived up to his ranking, catching 42 passes for 538 yards with six touchdowns this season. He hasn't scored the past two games, but he has 14 catches. He's unguardable at the college level, and he should immediately become a No. 1 NFL receiver after he gets drafted. I said in May that he's the most talented receiver to enter the NFL since the duo of Julio Jones and A.J. Green went in Round 1 in 2011. Jeudy can run every route and has elite ball skills, and he runs by SEC defensive backs every week. He's the best wideout in what could be a special 2020 class.

i

4. Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio State*
HT: 6-foot-1 | WT: 200 | Previously: 4

Credit Todd McShay here -- he had Okudah at No. 4 overall in his preseason rankings. When I went back through the 2018 tape, I saw why Todd was so fired up. This is a potential top-5 pick with a high ceiling based on talent alone. The problem? Okudah hadn't picked off a single pass in his two seasons for the Buckeyes. He has three interceptions over his past three games this season, including two picks in the blowout of Nebraska. Okudah broke up eight passes last season, and he has three so far in 2019.

i

5. Grant Delpit, S, LSU*
HT: 6-foot-3 | WT: 203 | Previously: 5

Going through the 2018 LSU tape again, it's easy to see why NFL scouts raved about Delpit. He made plays everywhere for this defense, picking up 74 tackles, 5 interceptions and 5 sacks. Delpit is a complete safety in the mold of former LSU star Jamal Adams. Both can stick running backs in the hole on one play, cover the slot receiver on the next and play the deep middle of the field on the same drive. I really like watching Delpit play. He has 27 tackles, an interception and three pass breakups so far this season.

i

6. Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon
HT: 6-foot-6 | WT: 237 | Previously: 6

As I wrote in May, Herbert just looks like a potential No. 1 overall pick -- great size, a powerful arm to make every throw, limited interceptions, good athleticism. Yet he took a step back in consistency in 2018, and that's why I thought he made a good decision to return to Oregon for his senior season. What I wanted to see this season was improved accuracy, better decision-making and him going through his reads to find open passers. So far, so good for Herbert, who has completed 69.1% of his passes with 17 touchdowns and one interception. Herbert was good, not great, in the season-opening loss to Auburn, but he has bounced back well. He made some tremendous throws in the Ducks' blowout of Colorado.

i

7. Isaiah Simmons, OLB, Clemson*
HT: 6-foot-4 | WT: 225 | Previously: 9

A converted safety who had 89 tackles and 9.5 tackles for loss last season, Simmons is exactly what NFL teams look for in three-down linebackers in today's game. He has the size and speed to run sideline to sideline to chase down tailbacks, and he has the athletic ability to cover tight ends in the slot. He could even flip his hips and play some safety. Simmons is a combo player in the mold of Keanu Neal. He has 51 tackles, 4 sacks and 8 total tackles for loss this season.

i

8. Henry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama*
HT: 6-foot | WT: 190 | Previously: 7

As Tagovailoa's other favorite target, Ruggs' game is all about speed, though he improved as a route runner last season, when he had 46 catches for 741 yards and 11 touchdowns. He looks great so far in 2019, catching 18 passes for 394 yards and five TDs. He is, though, dealing with an hip injury. Check out this route on a 74-yard TD catch on which he almost outruns the throw. Ruggs is the early favorite to be the fastest prospect in the 2020 class, and he's perfect for today's NFL.

i

9. CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma*
HT: 6-foot-2 | WT: 191 | Previously: 18

Lamb showed how special he can be in the Sooners' win over Texas, catching 10 passes for 171 yards and three touchdowns. But you should really just watch the highlights because the overall numbers don't quite capture his dominance. He couldn't be tackled. Lamb had 65 catches for 1,158 yards and 11 touchdowns last season, and that was as the Sooners' No. 2 target. With Marquise Brown off to the NFL, he has become the top target for Jalen Hurts. He is an advanced route runner, has outstanding hands and can get open against any defender. He doesn't have elite speed, but he'll test well athletically. I'm high on Lamb's potential.

i

10. Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn
HT: 6-foot-5 | WT: 318 | Previously: 11

I wrote about Brown last month, when he had two sacks and a forced fumble in the Tigers' win at Texas A&M. He had another sack and forced fumble -- plus two fumble recoveries -- in Auburn's loss at Florida. Brown is starting to come on and show production -- that's what he needed to do this season. NFL teams want interior disruptors who can knock down quarterbacks, and Brown hasn't shown that he can consistently do that. Yet. He's still raw, but he has top-five talent in a massive frame.

i

11. Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia*
HT: 6-foot-5 | WT: 320 | Previously: 10

There haven't been many top-tier offensive tackle talents lately -- the last time a tackle was picked in the top 5 was 2015 (Brandon Scherff). Could 2020 be the year of the tackle resurgence? I'm not going to go that far just yet, but there are some talented big men to watch, such as Tristan Wirfs and Thomas. I wouldn't be shocked to see a couple of them in the top 10. Thomas, who started at right tackle as a true freshman in 2017, switched to the left side last season, has long arms and good feet. He's a steady player who doesn't make mistakes.

i

12. Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson*
HT: 6-foot-4 | WT: 205 | Previously: 16

It's the size that sticks out with Higgins -- he has a huge frame to create mismatches. But he's also a better-than-expected route runner, and he can stretch the field for quarterback Trevor Lawrence. He can box out smaller cornerbacks in the red zone, and he can high-point the ball on sideline throws. Check out this catch-and-run from last season. Higgins was a touchdown machine in 2018, scoring 12 times on 59 catches, and he's averaging 22.9 yards per catch on his 18 receptions this season, with three TDs.

i

13. Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin*
HT: 5-foot-11 | WT: 220 | Previously: 13

This is an interesting running back class, and there's no first-round lock. Combine workouts are going to be extremely important for all of these guys to show true top-end speed. Taylor, though, is making his case and moving up draft boards. After rushing for 4,171 yards and 29 touchdowns the past two seasons -- seriously, those are ridiculous numbers -- Taylor is the Badgers' workhorse back, averaging 6.4 yards per carry with 18 total touchdowns. He has the size, athleticism and ability to be the first back off the board in April. Wisconsin has gotten him involved in the receiving game a little this season, too -- he has 15 catches for 136 yards.

i

14. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
HT: 6-foot-3 | WT: 215 | Previously: NR

I'm moving Burrow way up after his hot start. McShay and I wrote about him extensively earlier this week -- he has been so improved. He doesn't look like the same guy from last season. With a great release, much better accuracy at all levels of the field and enough athleticism to maneuver the pocket to evade rushers, Burrow reminds me of Tony Romo. Coaches rave about his leadership and toughness, too. Burrow is playing like a top-15 pick.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

15. D'Andre Swift, RB, Georgia*
HT: 5-foot-9 | WT: 215 | Previously: 17

Just watch Swift on this 48-yard screen against Arkansas State. He runs through and by defenders, showing off what has scouts so excited about his potential. It starts with speed, as Swift is one of the fastest running backs in the country. But he also has a physical side, and he makes tacklers miss. After running for 1,049 yards as part of a rotation last season, Swift is the Bulldogs' clear No. 1 back. He's averaging 6.4 yards per carry with six total touchdowns. He caught 32 passes last season, so he is already a third-down threat. That versatility will be important for his future.

i

16. Yetur Gross-Matos, DE, Penn State*
HT: 6-foot-5 | WT: 262 | Previously: 23

When I rewatched the Penn State defensive line to get a feel for 2019 draft pick Shareef Miller's season, I kept coming back to Gross-Matos, who was the most productive player from the group. He had eight sacks and 20 total tackles for loss. Gross-Matos is a pure pass-rusher with a big frame -- he wears size 17 shoes -- and he still has room to grow. He's raw, but he has a high ceiling. He has 5.5 sacks and 8.5 total tackles for loss so far this season.

i

17. Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama
HT: 6-foot-2 | WT: 207 | Previously: 22

A broken foot limited Diggs to six games last season, but he was great in those games, breaking up six passes and adding an interception. And he looks fully recovered from his foot injury, picking off two passes so far this season. Diggs, whose brother Stefon is a wide receiver for the Minnesota Vikings, is a versatile defensive back who can excel in man-to-man coverage, and he's a decent tackler. This projection will come down to whether Diggs can show that he's at full strength for the entire season. So far, so good.

i

18. CJ Henderson, CB, Florida*
HT: 6-foot-1 | WT: 202 | Previously: 15

Henderson has dealt with an ankle injury this season, and he sat out a few games. He returned for the past two tough matchups with Auburn and LSU, and he had three pass breakups in each of those matchups. Henderson is a lockdown cover corner who needs to improve on the little things to make his all-around game better. With six interceptions from 2017-18, Henderson has tremendous ball skills, and he has the athletic traits to be a No. 1 corner in the NFL.

i

19. Jacob Eason, QB, Washington*
HT: 6-foot-6 | WT: 225 | Previously: 25

I love the upside here. I mentioned him before the season as a potential riser, as he was getting some buzz. He has a huge 6-foot-6 frame and the arm to match it, but he has, frankly, looked a little rusty this season. Eason, if you recall, started 12 games for Georgia in 2016 and showed some flashes. There were a few throws that made me inch closer to the screen. But he was injured in 2017, lost his job to Fromm, then transferred back to his home state and has waited two years to be able to start again. McShay and I hit on Eason's season earlier this week, and I think he could use another year at Washington in 2020. He needs more time, but he has the "wow" factor.

i

20. Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama*
HT: 6-foot-6 | WT: 310 | Previously: 12

After starting at guard as a sophomore in 2018, Leatherwood replaced first-round pick Jonah Williams as Bama's left tackle this season. Through four games, he has been a rock. With a massive frame and great athleticism for the position, Leatherwood also packs a punch in the run game. He's rising quickly.

i

21. Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina
HT: 6-foot-6 | WT: 310 | Previously: NR

With a massive frame and great athleticism for his size, Kinlaw is physically gifted. And we know that NFL teams are looking for interior pass-rushers, which is what Kinlaw can bring. After putting up 4.5 sacks all of last season, he already has five in 2019. And he's getting to quarterbacks with quickness and power. Kinlaw moves really well for his size, and he can eat up blockers in the run game.

i

22. Terrell Lewis, OLB, Alabama*
HT: 6-foot-5 | WT: 250 | Previously: NR

I had Lewis in my way-too-early Big Board back in May, and I noted that it was all about projection because Lewis hadn't gotten to play much in his career. After hurting his elbow in 2017 and playing in only four games, he tore his ACL before the 2018 season and missed the entire year. Lewis, though, has come back strong, showing upside as an edge rusher. He has four sacks and six total QB hurries this season. After Chase Young, there's no clear-cut No. 2 edge rusher in this class. Lewis has a chance to rise.

i

23. Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida State*
HT: 6-foot-5 | WT: 311 | Previously: 14

A five-star prospect in the 2017 class, Wilson took some time to come into his own. He was good as a sophomore last season, but he had a phenomenal start to 2019, dominating Louisville in September with two sacks and recovering a fumble. He's quick off the ball, stellar against the run and has shown the ability to penetrate past guards and centers. Wilson doesn't have a sack in his past two games, but he's playing well. And he has stepped up as a leader this season.

i

24. Laviska Shenault Jr., WR, Colorado*
HT: 6-foot-2 | WT: 220 | Previously: 21
Shenault is such a fun prospect. He plays wide receiver like a running back, as he's phenomenal after the catch, and the Colorado staff has been smart in moving him up all over the field to get the ball in his hands, even playing him as a Wildcat quarterback at times. Shenault had 86 catches for 1,011 yards and 11 total touchdowns (five rushing) in 2018, and he has two receiving TDs and one rushing score this season. Although he isn't as developed of a route runner as the other receivers in my top 25, that should come with more reps. He has the versatility and traits that will have NFL teams interested.

i

25. J.K. Dobbins, RB, Ohio State*
HT: 5-foot-10 | WT: 215 | Previously: NR

Dobbins is a home-run hitter. He looked like a future first-rounder as a freshman in 2017 before taking a step back last season. He looks much quicker and more explosive this season, as he ranks second in FBS with 826 yards while averaging 7.1 yards per carry. He also has seven total touchdowns. The 40-yard dash will be extremely important for Dobbins if he enters the 2020 draft, but he has a shot to be the top back off the board.

Top 10 prospects at each position
An asterisk denotes that the prospect is an underclassman:

Quarterbacks
1. *Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama
2. Justin Herbert, Oregon
3. Joe Burrow, LSU
4. *Jacob Eason, Washington
5. *Jake Fromm, Georgia
6. *Jordan Love, Utah State
7. *Sam Ehlinger, Texas
8. Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma
9. Steven Montez, Colorado
10. Nate Stanley, Iowa

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Running backs
1. *Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin
2. *D'Andre Swift, Georgia
3. *J.K. Dobbins, Ohio State
4. *Travis Etienne, Clemson
5. Ke'Shawn Vaughn, Vanderbilt
6. Darius Anderson, TCU
7. Zack Moss, Utah
8. *Kylin Hill, Mississippi State
9. Lamical Perine, Florida
10. Rico Dowdle, South Carolina

Wide receivers
1. *Jerry Jeudy, Alabama
2. *Henry Ruggs III, Alabama
3. *CeeDee Lamb, Oklahoma
4. *Tee Higgins, Clemson
5. *Laviska Shenault Jr., Colorado
6. *DeVonta Smith, Alabama
7. *Jalen Reagor, TCU
8. *Lynn Bowden Jr., Kentucky
9. *Justin Jefferson, LSU
10. Michael Pittman Jr., USC

Tight ends
1. Jared Pinkney, Vanderbilt
2. *Albert Okwuegbunam, Missouri
3. Adam Trautman, Dayton
4. Brycen Hopkins, Purdue
5. *Cole Kmet, Notre Dame
6. *Colby Parkinson, Stanford
7. Stephen Sullivan, LSU
8. Harrison Bryant, Florida Atlantic
9. *Hunter Bryant, Washington
10. C.J. O'Grady, Arkansas
Note: Oregon's Jacob Breeland, who would have been on this list, is out for the season after suffering a leg injury.

Offensive tackles
1. *Andrew Thomas, Georgia
2. *Alex Leatherwood, Alabama
3. Matt Peart, Connecticut
4. Josh Jones, Houston
5. Trey Adams, Washington
6. Lucas Niang, TCU
7. *Tristan Wirfs, Iowa
8. *Samuel Cosmi, Texas
9. *Saahdiq Charles, LSU
10. Prince Tega Wanogho, Auburn
Note: Stanford's Walker Little, who would have been on this list, is out for the season with a knee injury.

Guards
1. Ben Bredeson, Michigan
2. *Netane Muti, Fresno State
3. John Simpson, Clemson
4. Logan Stenberg, Kentucky
5. Robert Hunt, Louisiana-Lafayette
6. *Jack Anderson, Texas Tech
7. Tremayne Anchrum, Clemson
8. *Solomon Kindley, Georgia
9. Gage Cervenka, Clemson
10. Daishawn Dixon, San Diego State

Centers
1. *Tyler Biadasz, Wisconsin
2. *Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma
3. *Keith Ismael, San Diego State
4. Nick Harris, Washington
5. *Matt Hennessy, Temple
6. *Lloyd Cushenberry III, LSU
7. Cohl Cabral, Arizona State
8. Darryl Williams, Mississippi State
9. Frederick Mauigoa, Washington State
10. Luke Juriga, Western Michigan

Defensive ends
1. *Chase Young, Ohio State
2. *Yetur Gross-Matos, Penn State
3. *A.J. Epenesa, Iowa
4. Carlos "Boogie" Basham, Wake Forest
5. *James Lynch, Baylor
6. D.J. Wonnum, South Carolina
7. Khalid Kareem, Notre Dame
8. Jason Strowbridge, North Carolina
9. Jabari Zuniga, Florida
10. Marlon Davidson, Auburn

Defensive tackles
1. Derrick Brown, Auburn
2. Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina
3. *Marvin Wilson, Florida State
4. Raekwon Davis, Alabama
5. Neville Gallimore, Oklahoma
6. *Jordan Elliott, Missouri
7. Leki Fotu, Utah
8. Raequan Williams, Michigan State
9. Darrion Daniels, Nebraska
10. Davon Hamilton, Ohio State

Inside linebackers
1. Jordyn Brooks, Texas Tech
2. *Kenneth Murray, Oklahoma
3. Kamal Martin, Minnesota
4. Evan Weaver, California
5. Shaq Quarterman, Miami (Fla)
6. Shaun Bradley, Temple
7. Troy Dye, Oregon
8. Malik Harrison, Ohio State
9. Logan Wilson, Wyoming
10. Joe Bachie, Michigan State
Note: Alabama's Dylan Moses, who would be on this list, suffered a knee injury and is out for the season.

Outside linebackers
1. *Isaiah Simmons, Clemson
2. *Terrell Lewis, Alabama
3. Julian Okwara, Notre Dame
4. *Curtis Weaver, Boise State
5. Anfernee Jennings, Alabama
6. *K'Lavon Chaisson, LSU
7. Josh Uche, Michigan
8. Justin Strnad, Wake Forest
9. Zack Baun, Wisconsin
10. Jonathan Greenard, Florida

Cornerbacks
1. *Jeff Okudah, Ohio State
2. Trevon Diggs, Alabama
3. *C.J. Henderson, Florida
4. Kristian Fulton, LSU
5. Troy Pride Jr., Notre Dame
6. *Paulson Adebo, Stanford
7. Jeff Gladney, TCU
8. Damon Arnette, Ohio State
9. *A.J. Terrell, Clemson
10. Lamar Jackson, Nebraska
Note: Virginia's Bryce Hall, who would have been on this list, suffered a leg injury and is out for the season.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Safeties
1. *Grant Delpit, LSU
2. *Xavier McKinney, Alabama
3. Ashtyn Davis, California
4. Chris Miller, Baylor
5. Davion Taylor, Colorado
6. Brian Cole II, Mississippi State
7. Shyheim Carter, Alabama
8. Jalen Elliott, Notre Dame
9. Kyle Dugger, Lenoir-Rhyne
10. Jeremy Chinn, So. Illinois

Kickers and punters
1. Braden Mann, Texas A&M (P)
2. Alex Pechin, Bucknell (P)
3. Joseph Charlton, South Carolina (P)
4. *Drue Chrisman, Ohio State (P)
5. Sterling Hofrichter, Syracuse (P)
6. *Max Duffy, Kentucky (P)
7. Blake Cusick, Fresno State (P)
8. *Oscar Bradburn, Virginia Tech (P)
9. Rodrigo Blankenship, Georgia (K)
10. Connor Limpert, Arkansas (K)

Long snappers

1. Blake Ferguson, LSU
2. Steve Wirtel, Iowa State
3. Rex Sunahara, West Virginia
4. *John Shannon, Notre Dame
5. A.J. Carty, Washington

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
NBA bonus watch: Supermaxes and incentives in 2019-20

The summer of 2019 featured rapid roster turnover across the NBA as players switched teams via free agency and trades. In the middle of all those transactions, front offices showed off their creativity when structuring contracts.

We saw the Brooklyn Nets' Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving make a rare move for superstars by having their contracts laden with incentives. The Houston Rockets' Eric Gordon signed an extension that becomes fully guaranteed for $21 million in the final year of the deal if the team wins an NBA championship.

Here's our look at the new bonuses to monitor this season, teams with luxury tax concerns and potential supermax deals at stake.

The new bonuses
Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant | Brooklyn Nets

Because there was not a sign-and-trade agreement in place for D'Angelo Russell when Brooklyn's new stars committed on July 30, Irving and Durant at first were set to have $4-5 million in unlikely bonuses in their contracts. That extra $10 million -- generated because unlikely bonuses don't count toward the salary cap -- would have allowed the team to sign Irving and Durant outright and use the remaining room on free agent DeAndre Jordan and second-round pick Nicolas Claxton.

However, both players caught a financial break when Golden State approached Brooklyn later that night about the possibility of acquiring Russell in a sign-and-trade for Durant. Because cap space was not required to sign Durant, Brooklyn needed to structure only $1 million in unlikely bonuses for Irving to still have room for Jordan and Claxton. In total, Durant and Irving could have opened the door to losing a combined $16 million had the Warriors not stepped in at the last minute.

The $1 million in unlikely incentives for Irving is broken into eight $125,000 bonuses, ranging from games played, statistical benchmarks and offensive/defensive rating. All eight are deemed unlikely for cap purposes since they weren't achieved in 2018-19.

Durant still has a $1 million bonus based on the success of the team -- even if he doesn't play this season. If the Nets reach the first round of the playoffs or win at least 43 games, Durant fulfills the criterion.

Nene Hilario | Houston Rockets

Editor's note: The NBA has ruled Nene's contract as valid -- the $7.4M of "likely" bonuses will remain. But for trade purposes, the contract will only count as $2.56M toward incoming and outgoing salary.

Although Nene signed with the Houston Rockets on Sept. 6, the NBA has yet to officially approve the deal. The 10-day delay is a result of the NBA discussing internally whether it should disapprove details in the contract, according to multiple sources. Despite the contract technically falling within the limits of the collective bargaining agreement, the NBA is allowed to interpret the agreement as a violation of the spirit of the rules.

Here's why: Nene's contract includes more than $7 million in bonuses that have been deemed likely for cap purposes, the largest amount in NBA history. However, it's extremely unlikely he'll hit those criteria this season, at least with the Rockets.

Nene was signed as a trade chip. Houston offered a two-year, $20 million contract structured in two phases: $2.56 million of guaranteed base compensation and $7.44 million in these bonuses:

• $2.4 million for playing at least 10 games and the team winning at least 52 games
  • $2.5 million for playing at least 25 games and the team winning at least 52 games
  • $2.5 million for playing at least 40 games and the team winning at least 52 games
Those games played stipulations are key. Because Nene played in 42 games in 2018-19 and the Rockets won 53 games, the bonuses are considered likely and are allowed to reach $7 million plus. If the bonuses were deemed unlikely, they would be capped at 15% of the Nene's base salary.

Starting on Jan. 15, Nene's full $10 million cap hit can be used as outgoing salary in a trade, while his contract would count as $2.56 million in incoming salary -- if the team trading for him did not win 52 games during the 2018-19 season and Nene hadn't met any of the games-played criteria.

Here's an example of how Houston could take advantage: The Rockets could sign free agent Iman Shumpert to a similar contract and package him with Nene, creating enough matching salary to acquire the Memphis Grizzlies' Andre Iguodala (or a different player whose salary falls within 125% of $20 million).

Because only $4.9 million for both players is guaranteed -- and not the $15 million in bonuses -- the receiving team would gain significant savings, with Houston likely throwing in a draft asset to complete the deal. The Rockets still have first-rounders in 2020 and 2022 as well as second-rounders in 2021 and 2023 available to move.

Even with these bonuses officially deemed likely, the NBA could determine that the contract is comparable to a player with a $2.6 million guaranteed deal so only the $2.6 million should count as outgoing salary. But there's currently no clear path to make that justification, at least not according to the CBA.

The Lakers did something similar when they signed Yi Jianlian in 2016, but he was waived before the season started.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope | Los Angeles Lakers

Caldwell-Pope benefited when Kawhi Leonard chose to sign with the LA Clippers. Not only did the shooting guard land a two-year, $16.6 million contract but it also comes with the possibility of earning an additional $1.2 million in bonuses.

While the $163,000 incentive for being named to either all-defense team is unlikely, there's a total of $1 million available in reachable bonuses that have been deemed unlikely. If the Lakers advance to the Western Conference finals, KCP will earn $50,000. There's also $350,000 available for per-game assists (1.85), per-game rebounds (4.0) and per-game steals (1.2). He reached those three statistical criteria during the 2017-18 season but not in 2018-19.

Rudy Gay | San Antonio Spurs

Gay's $14.5 million cap hit this season is his largest salary since tearing his left Achilles tendon in January 2017. Included in that salary is $500,000 in a likely bonus if Gay plays in more than 60 games. Last season, the forward appeared in 69 games, his most since 2015-16.

Gay can earn an additional total of $1.5 million if the Spurs win 52 games (with Gay playing a minimum of 60 games), if he shoots 37.5% from 3 (minimum 100 makes) and if he posts a defensive rating below 103 and a defensive rebounding rate above 20%. Last season, Gay shot a career-high 40.2% from 3-point range but on only 74 made field goals.

Tyus Jones and Delon Wright | Grizzlies/Mavs

The former 2015 first-round picks both changed teams this offseason, and both signed deals with incentives.

Jones has $858,000 in a likely bonus if the Memphis Grizzlies win 33 games, the same number the team won last season. Wright's incentives are more of a long shot. The Dallas Mavericks guard can earn $350,000 for each of these three criteria: win Most Improved Player, earn an All-Star selection and/or make either all-defense team.

Maxi Kleber | Dallas Mavericks

The undrafted Kleber is on a new four-year, $34 million deal. His cap hit can increase an additional $475,000 for reaching the following incentives:

• Either all-defense team: $150,000
  • Free throw percentage (at least 80%): $75,000
  • Minutes played divided by rebounds (greater than 4.0): $100,000
  • 3-point percentage (at least 40%): $150,000
Julius Randle | New York Knicks

Randle earned $22.4 million in the first five seasons of his career, and he can make nearly that much this season if he achieves the incentives in his contract.

On top of his $18 million salary, Randle also has $900,000 available for three benchmarks: either all-defense team, an All-Star selection and making the playoffs (if Randle appears in at least 65 games). Although all three are unlikely, keep an eye on Randle posting All-Star type numbers this season for a New York team that is rebuilding.

Terrence Ross | Orlando Magic

The Sixth Man of the Year contender is on a four-year, $50 million contract that also includes $1 million per year in unlikely bonuses. To earn an extra $500,000, the guard has to have a defensive rating below 100 and play at least 63 games while averaging at least 22 MPG. Last season, Ross posted a defensive rating of 105.9.

The other half of the incentive is tied to reaching the NBA Finals.

Dewayne Dedmon | Sacramento Kings

Dedmon had one of the most complex sets of bonuses in his contract the past two seasons with the Atlanta Hawks. Now with Sacramento, Dedmon has two sets of simpler incentives:

• $150,000 for total games played (70) with the Kings winning 48 games
  • $150,000 if Sacramento reaches the second round of the playoffs
The last time the Kings won at least 49 games was in 2004-05, and the previous season they advanced to the second round.

Thaddeus Young | Chicago Bulls

The success of the Bulls will determine whether Young's $12.9 million salary gets a slight bump. If the Bulls reach the first round of the playoffs, Young will earn a $150,000 bonus. There is an additional $150,000 available if the team wins at least 48 games.

As in his previous contract, Young also has incentives for earning MVP, most improved or either all-defense team.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
The financial incentive of the postseason
Eric Gordon and Clint Capela | Houston Rockets

Gordon recently agreed to a four-year, $75.5 million extension with Houston, and last season Capela signed a five-year, $80 million contract. Both contracts comes with postseason incentives.

Capela will receive $1 million if the Rockets advance to the Western Conference finals, and Gordon will see the $20.9 million non-guaranteed salary in the final year of his extension become fully protected if Houston wins the NBA championship at any point during the contract. Gordon also will have to play either a minimum of 500 regular-season minutes or 750 minutes combined in the regular season and postseason. That $20.9 million also becomes guaranteed if Gordon is named an All-Star for the first time in his career.

Capela could earn $500,000 if he shoots greater than 65% from the free throw line and another $500,000 if his defensive rebounding rate is better than 30%. Capela improved his free throw shooting last season, increasing it from 56% in 2017-18 to 63.6%. However, his rebounding rate dropped from 27.8% to 24.1%

Al Horford | Philadelphia 76ers

At first, people around the league were skeptical of Horford's four-year, $109 million contract with Philadelphia. Why would the 76ers commit $26.5 million in 2022-23 to a 36-year-old Horford?

But Philadelphia took a unique approach by adding guaranteed language for the last season. If Philadelphia reaches the NBA Finals during the first three years of the contract, Horford's base compensation will increase from $14.5 million to $19.5 million. The Sixers winning an NBA championship for the first time since 1982-83 will make Horford's full $26.5 million guaranteed.

Kyle Lowry | Toronto Raptors

The Raptors' postseason success in 2018-19 also benefited Lowry financially. On top of earning $200,000 for his selection to the All-Star Game, Lowry also received $1.5 million for reaching the conference finals and NBA Finals and winning the championship. Because all of those same incentives are now deemed likely, Lowry has a current cap hit of $35 million.

Lowry has two additional $500,000 bonuses: first- or second-team all-defense and first- or second-team All-NBA. The total amount of bonus money is capped at $2.3 million, even if Lowry earns the $2.7 million available.

Luxury tax implications
Denver Nuggets

Already pressed against the luxury tax, the Nuggets could see their $979,000 buffer shrink if shooting guard Gary Harris stays healthy and the team has a deep playoff run.

As part of his four-year, $74 million rookie extension, Harris has $2.4 million in incentives for team playoff success and individual honors -- similar to Nikola Jokic and Paul Millsap. However, while Jokic earned $931,000 and Paul Millsap got $350,000 a year ago when Denver reached the second round, Harris failed to meet the criteria because he played only 57 games.

If Harris plays 60 games (which he has done only twice in five seasons), the Nuggets reach the NBA Finals and the team logs 57 wins, Harris will earn $775,000. Winning an NBA championship would push that total to $975,000 and leave the Nuggets just inches away from paying the tax.

Houston Rockets

A year ago at this time, Houston was $9.1 million over the tax threshold and faced with a $14.6 million penalty. Then the Rockets made five trades in four months while Capela fell short of his $2 million in incentives. That was enough to get the team under the tax line.

This season, the Rockets start $358,000 below the line but will go over if Capela meets his bonus criteria and Houston trades Nene for more than his $2.56 million salary. Despite the possibility of becoming a luxury tax team for only the third time since 2002-03, ownership has approved a budget that would allow Houston to take back money even if that means spending into the tax.

Miami Heat

Miami currently is $3.8 million over the tax and facing a $5.7 million penalty.

Barring a trade during the season, that tax penalty could increase to $8.3 million if Dion Waiters plays more than 70 games (worth $1.2 million) and the Heat return to the playoffs (Kelly Olynyk has a $400,000 incentive in his contract). Olynyk also has a $1.4 million bonus for minutes played (1,700) that is deemed likely.

Portland Trail Blazers

The Blazers will see their luxury tax penalty decrease from $22.2 million to $19 million before we even get to Dec 1.

The savings are a result of Jusuf Nurkic being likely to miss the early part of the season as he rehabs from a fractured left tibia and fibula. Nurkic earned a $1.25 million bonus in 2018-19 when he appeared in more than 70 games and the Trail Blazers won more than 50 games, but he's not expected to return in time to reach that bar this season.

All-NBA and the supermax
No player has more on the line financially this season than Joel Embiid. The Sixers center will have his remaining annual salaries of $29.5 million, $31.6 million and $33.6 million become guaranteed once he reaches 1,650 minutes this season. Embiid also will become supermax eligible if he is named All-NBA for a second consecutive season. Because he is one season short of the years of service minimum for a supermax, Embiid will have to wait until 2021 to potentially sign a four-year, $212 million extension.

Besides Embiid, the Wizards' Bradley Beal and Pistons' Andre Drummond are supermax eligible if they earn All-NBA in 2019-20. Beal is also extension eligible up until Oct. 21 for a three-year, $112 million contract. If Beal does make the All-NBA team, the Wizards can offer him a five-year, $253.7 million contract in July 2020.

Drummond, has a $28.7 million player option for 2020-21 and would be eligible for either a five-year, $237.5 million contract (if he opts out) or a four-year, $196 million deal. Last season, Drummond finished with three All-NBA votes.

Giannis Antetokounmpo and Rudy Gobert already met the supermax criteria and are eligible to sign a $253.7 million extension next summer.

Other players with bonuses: Davis Bertans, Bismack Biyombo, Dante Exum, Derrick Favors, Evan Fournier, Rudy Gobert, Aaron Gordon, Maurice Harkless, John Henson, Solomon Hill, Jrue Holiday, Joe Ingles, Patty Mills, Victor Oladipo, Miles Plumlee, Dennis Schroder, Tony Snell, Myles Turner, T.J. Warren

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
NBA mock draft: Top prospects for 2021

This weekend, 84 of the top American prospects in high school basketball congregated in Colorado Springs, Colorado, for the annual USA Basketball junior national team minicamp, giving us an excellent opportunity to get a jump-start on analyzing what appears to be a deep and talented 2021 draft class.

For the first time, NBA teams were allowed to send one representative to scout the final two days of this event. Only 24 of the 30 teams elected to attend, with some sending their top front-office decision-maker for the coveted slot, while others gave the opportunity to younger scouts seeking experience.

Here's who we consider to be the top prospects in attendance, along with their initial rankings in our first 2021 mock draft.

Note: We used the same projected standing from our latest 2020 mock draft in this 2021 edition. Although the 2021 draft is too far away to reasonably predict the team order, this gives a sense of picks owed and owned.

2021 NBA mock draft
Pick Player Team HT POS Age
1. CLE
Cade Cunningham Undecided 6-6 PG 18.0
2. CHA Evan Mobley USC 7-0 PF/C 18.3
3. NYK Jalen Green Undecided 6-5 SG 17.6
4. MEM Ziaire Williams Undecided 6-8 SG/SF 18.0
5. PHX Terrence Clarke Kentucky 6-6 SF 18.1
6. WAS Jonathan Kuminga Undecided 6-7 SF 17.0
7. CHI Jalen Johnson Duke 6-8 PF 17.8
8. OKC Usman Garuba Real Madrid 6-8 PF 17.5
9. ATL Greg Brown Undecided 6-8 PF 18.1
10. SAC B.J. Boston Kentucky 6-6 SG 17.8
11. MIN Caleb Love North Carolina 6-3 PG 18.0
12. DET Ibou Dianko Badji Barcelona 2 7-1 C 17.0
13. NOP Keon Johnson Tennessee 6-5 SG 17.5
14. NYK (via DAL) Juhann Begarin Paris 6-4 SG 17.1
15. ORL Roko Prkacin Cibona Zagreb 6-9 PF 16.8
16. SAS D.J. Steward Duke 6-3 PG 18.0
17. OKC (via MIA) Daishen Nix UCLA 6-4 PG 17.6
18. TOR Franz Wagner Alba Berlin 6-8 SF 18.1
19. BKN Boogie Ellis Memphis 6-3 PG/SG 18.8
20. IND Earl Timberlake Undecided 6-6 SF 17.9
21. POR Makur Maker Undecided 6-11 C 18.8
22. BOS Josh Christopher Undecided 6-5 SG 17.8
23. GSW Bryan Antoine Villanova 6-5 SG 19.4
24. LAL Jalen Suggs Undecided 6-4 SG 18.3
25. UTA Isaac Okoro Auburn 6-6 SF 18.7
26. HOU Scottie Barnes Florida State 6-8 PF 18.1
27. LAC Adam Miller Undecided 6-3 SG 17.7
28. DEN Isaiah Mobley USC 6-9 PF 20.0
29. PHI Moses Moody Undecided 6-6 SG 17.3
30. MIL Johnny Juzang Kentucky 6-7 SF 18.3
31. CLE Mojave King NBA Global Academy 6-5 SG 17.3
32. NYK (via CHA) Jahmi'us Ramsey Texas Tech 6-4 PG/SG 18.3
33. PHI (via NYK) Alonzo Gaffney Ohio State 6-7 SF/PF 19.7
34. SAC (via MEM) Tristan Enaruna Kansas 6-8 SF/PF 18.2
35. MEM (via PHX) Aleksej Pokusevski Olympiakos 7-0 PF 17.7
36. NOP (via WAS) Jeremiah Robinson-Earl Villanova 6-9 PF 18.9
37. CHI Onyeka Okongwu USC 6-9 PF/C 18.8
38. OKC Tre Mann Florida 6-1 PG 18.6
39. BKN (via ATL) Sam Williamson Louisville 6-7 SF 19.0
40. SAC Isaac Likekele Oklahoma St. 6-4 PG/SG 19.6
41. MIN Aaron Henry Michigan St. 6-6 SG 20.1
42. LAC (via DET) Aaron Wiggins Maryland 6-6 SG 20.7
43. NOP Yam Madar Hapoel Tel Aviv 6-2 PG 18.8
44. DAL C.J. Walker Oregon 6-8 PF 18.5
45. ORL Devin Vassell Florida St. 6-5 SG/SF 19.1
46. SAS Joe Wieskamp Iowa 6-6 SF 20.1
47. SAC (via MIA) Kenny Baptiste Quimper 6-8 SF/PF 19.7
48. BKN (via TOR) Ochai Agbaji Kansas 6-5 SF 19.4
49. CHA (via BKN) Leandro Bolmaro Barcelona 6-7 SG 19.0
50. IND Xavier Tillman Michigan St. 6-8 C 20.7
51. MEM (via POR) Quentin Grimes Houston 6-5 SG 19.4
52. BOS Carlos Alocen Zaragoza 6-5 PG 18.7
53. UTA (via GSW) Andrew Nembhard Florida 6-4 PG 19.7
54. DET (via LAL) Nahziah Carter Washington 6-6 SF 20.1
55. IND (via UTA) MarJon Beauchamp Chameleon BX 6-7 SG/SF 18.0
56. HOU DeJon Jarreau Houston 6-5 PG/SG 21.7
57. CHA (via LAC) Jalen Pickett Siena 6-4 PG 19.9
58. PHI (via DEN) Isaiah Livers Michigan 6-7 PF 21.2
59. PHI Vit Krejci Zaragoza 6-7 PG/SG 19.3
60. IND (via MIL) John Petty Alabama 6-6 SG 20.8

Evan Mobley | 7-0 | C | Age: 18.3

Mock rank: No. 2

A legitimate contender for the No. 1 pick, Mobley was far and away the most consistently dominant defensive presence, and he has as high a floor as any player in his class. With a steadily improving frame, a 7-4 wingspan and tremendous agility for his size, the USC commit is exactly what teams want in a modern big on the defensive end. Possessing tools similar to Chris Bosh's at the same age, he can step out and switch onto the perimeter gracefully while putting a lid on the rim in the paint thanks to his outstanding instincts, sharp timing and competitiveness. He stays down on shot fakes, holds his own in the post and can glide out of his area for blocks with either hand. Thanks in part to his evolving frame, Mobley is also able to rebound in traffic.

Offensively, Mobley is still a bit of a blank canvas. He's extremely unselfish, with the ability to grab and go in transition or take slower-footed bigs off the bounce from the perimeter. He can make necessary short roll reads and does a nice job handling consistent double-teams. But he still doesn't have a consistent way to score in the half court against a set defense and does most of his damage on drop-offs or putbacks. He shows potential on his perimeter jumper all the way out to the 3, but he has yet to evolve into a consistent threat from beyond the arc.

At the very least, though, he's a future Defensive Player of the Year candidate with the ability to handle and pass in space, even if he doesn't quite have the skill set or approach to function as a No. 1 scoring option right now. -- Schmitz

Jalen Green | 6-5 | SG | Age: 17.6
Mock rank: No. 3

Green appears to be on a significant upward trajectory and had a highly productive weekend that had some scouts mentioning his name as a potential No. 1 overall pick. Green, Cade Cunningham and Evan Mobley have cemented themselves as the cream of the crop by a wide margin and will likely continue to battle it out for consideration as the No. 1 prospect in the class.

Always considered a freak athlete in the open floor with elite scoring instincts, Green has become a more consistent shooter while also showing improvement with his decision-making in the half court and playing with more consistent energy defensively. He still has room to improve his frame, ballhandling skills, playmaking and ability to operate off the ball -- he tends to catch and hold excessively and is heavily reliant on his isolation game -- but his talent level and overall athleticism are so high that scouts will be willing to be patient with him as his game continues to round out. -- Givony

Greg Brown | 6-8 | PF | Age: 18.1

Mock rank: No. 9

Brown looked every bit a potential top-10 pick thanks to his freakish leaping ability, high motor and developing perimeter shooting. The springy 6-8 forward punched home poster dunk after poster dunk, blowing scouts away with his ability to rise up in traffic while also using his physical gifts to snatch rebounds and fly around defensively.

The type of NBA player Brown can become rests largely on his perimeter shooting, which has improved by leaps and bounds but remains a mixed bag. He gets healthy rotation on the ball, shoots it on the hop and even tossed in a few step-back jumpers, but his release point is far from textbook and he has a tendency to shoot on the way down. Even with notable improvements, Brown remains more athlete than shot creator or playmaker at this stage. He is better suited at the 4, where he can play off of others. With that said, he's built more like a big wing, with a 193-pound frame and good-not-great length (6-10 wingspan).

Even with his light frame, Brown still impacts the game defensively thanks to his energy and athletic gifts, as he looked comfortable switching on the perimeter, staying with guards before erasing shots at the rim. He rotates for blocks and is an active rebounder. Overall, NBA scouts consider him a high-floor prospect with clear lottery potential. -- Schmitz

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Caleb Love | 6-3 | PG | Age: 18.0

Mock rank: No. 11

Always blessed with outstanding physical tools in terms of size, frame, length and athleticism, Love has started to round out his skill level and basketball IQ. He looked far more comfortable running a team and making teammates better than in previous settings. He's an unselfish player who is comfortable playing at different speeds. He sees both sides of the floor, and he's a capable shooter, giving him a terrific framework to build off projecting to the NBA. After being the best player on the floor on the opening night of scrimmages, Love came down to earth a bit as the camp moved on and began to show some of his flaws, primarily in terms of his ability to finish through contact in the paint, use his off hand and make high-level reads out of pick-and-rolls with bigger defenders on him.

Ranked in the 20s by the various recruiting services, Love looked like a top-10 player in stretches, but he still needs to continue to add more consistency to his game. He'll likely benefit from the green light he'll enjoy under Roy Williams at North Carolina, even if he's a far different player than the point guards preceding him in Coby White and Cole Anthony. -- Givony

Keon Johnson | 6-5 | SG | Age: 17.5
Mock rank: No. 13

Johnson had the biggest breakout performance in Colorado Springs, earmarking himself as a potential lottery prospect despite being ranked in the Nos. 20-35 range by recruiting services.

Get the best of ESPN sent to your inbox
Privacy PolicyRead the Latest1676

Growing up on the baseball field as a shortstop, Johnson comes from an unconventional background, not playing on any of the major sneaker company AAU circuits until the spring prior to his senior year. Despite his relative lack of experience, he looked extremely comfortable playing against the best prospects, appearing nearly unstoppable in the open court, making a major impact defensively and showing glimpses of potential as a half-court creator and passer.

Johnson had a strong case to be considered the best athlete here, as his ability to accelerate from a standstill and elevate off the floor in the blink of an eye for exhilarating finishes resulted in a number of highlight dunks and blocks. The aggressiveness and competitiveness he displays on both ends of the floor allows him to utilize this freakish explosiveness consistently.

Johnson's ability to live up to the lofty placement in this initial mock draft will depend on his development as a perimeter shooter. In eight games in the Adidas Gauntlet this spring and summer, Johnson shot just 10-for-32 (24%) from 3 and 32-for-55 (58%) from the free throw line. His shooting mechanics aren't conventional, with a one-handed release that gets good rotation but tends to fall apart when he's asked to shoot off the dribble. -- Givony

D.J. Steward | 6-2 | PG | Age: 18.0

Mock rank: No. 16

The Duke commit was steady all weekend long, showing off his shifty nature, slick handle, sharp feel for the game and shooting touch. Despite a 6-6 wingspan, Steward doesn't blow you away physically, with a lean 160-pound frame and average size. He's not freakishly explosive either, but he has an excellent pace to his game, effortlessly shifting gears to keep defenders on their heels to set up scoring opportunities. The 18-year-old Steward, who exploded on the EYBL Circuit playing for Mean Streets, has very few holes in his game at this stage.

Seen as more of a scoring guard on the AAU circuit, Steward ran the show impressively here, showing patience in pick-and-roll while delivering pinpoint pocket passes, hook passes to the pop man and flashy drop-offs when he gets a piece of the paint. Steward is also more than capable of getting going from the perimeter. He sports sound, compact mechanics from 3, can get to midrange spots off the bounce and has the wiggle to break down defenders, even if he's not a great finisher through contact at this stage.

On the other side of the ball, Steward is a competitor with quick hands and feet to go along with sharp instincts. Given his frame, there will certainly be questions about his defensive versatility and upside, but Steward's smarts will allow him to at the very least be an adequate defender in the ACC. -- Schmitz

Josh Christopher | 6-5 | SG | Age: 17.8
Mock rank: No. 22

Christopher was an absolutely dominant force at times, but he also had his fair share of head-scratching moments that have long given talent evaluators reason for pause when trying to project his long-term outlook.

Blessed with a huge frame, the ability to change speeds powerfully and highlight-reel explosiveness, Christopher is a bulldozer in the open floor and nearly impossible for opponents to contain at this level. He relishes contact around the basket, but he can find the open man on the move when he's intent on playing the right way, something that comes and goes. When Christopher is locked in and playing to his full potential with his infectious energy, he's easily one of the most difficult players to slow down in this class, as he can get going in a hurry with his jumper and knock down a barrage of 3-pointers off the dribble, while also playing lockdown defense. You never quite know what version of Christopher you'll get on a night-to-night basis, though, which is why it's important for him to end up in the right situation at his next stop.

Finding a more consistent release point on his 3-ball will be important, as will adding a little more shake and craft to his half-court creation ability, while playing with more consistent energy defensively. -- Givony

Scottie Barnes | 6-8 | PF/C | Age: 18.1

Mock rank: No. 26

A key member of the USA Basketball program since he was 15, Barnes has hit a bit of a snag offensively. While there's still a lot to like about Barnes' hustle, defensive versatility, physical tools and passing feel, his upside is in question if he's unable to turn into at least a respectable standstill shooter given his average explosion and mediocre touch around the rim.

With that said, Barnes still finds ways to put his imprint on the game. He regularly slid with guards in the backcourt, rotated from the weak side for blocks thanks to his 7-1 wingspan and facilitated in space. Despite playing up a year, he was quite productive at the U19 world championships this summer, posting a 21.9 PER over seven games.

He can still be effective at the highest level. But for Barnes to maximize the long-term potential that was once heavily praised, he has to be more of a threat in the half court against a set defense. -- Schmitz

Adam Miller | 6-3 | PG/SG | Age: 17.7
Mock rank: No. 27

Miller helped himself in the scrimmages by shooting the ball with more consistency than he had demonstrated in AAU play, while displaying excellent defense and making a number of impressive open-court plays thanks to his strong frame and plus athleticism. At times criticized for his shot selection, Miller did a good job of buying into a more compact 3-and-D role and making better decisions with the ball.

Miller is not the most advanced ball handler or pick-and-roll player at the moment, struggling to create high-percentage offense in the half court and needing to add more craft and force to his driving ability to take advantage of his strong physical tools. The toughness he displayed locking up opponents with full-court pressure and ability to switch and contain bigger players give him nice potential to grow into when paired with his improving shot-making ability, giving him a ready-made role once he reaches the NBA. If he can continue to evolve as a playmaker, facilitator and creator over the next 20 months, he will see his stock rise even more. -- Givony

Moses Moody | 6-5 | SG/SF | Age: 17.3

Mock rank: No. 29

Although not the most consistent performer here, Moody showed enough flashes to warrant one-and-done consideration as a 3-and-D-style prospect. Moody, who compares favorably to Allen Crabbe physically, catches your eye immediately with his long arms and wide shoulders with a 7-0 wingspan. While not an explosive athlete, he has long strides to the rim and moves with fluidity, which helps him on the defensive end of the floor. He's fairly competitive, with the tools to check multiple positions once his body fills out. Offensively, Moody's NBA ticket is turning himself into a knockdown shooter. He has strong mechanics, and the ball comes out with great rotation. With that said, he's far streakier than you'd like and most recently converted only 26.7% of his triples over 18 Nike EYBL games. Playing a more restricted role at Montverde, he shot the ball at a much better clip, and he has consistently been a reliable free throw shooter in a variety of settings, suggesting that he'll ultimately evolve into a valuable spacer.

Ranked outside the top 25 by recruiting services, Moody is at his best when he keeps the game simple. While he can make a one- or two-dribble pull-up, he's not the most advanced ball handler or accurate passer out of pick-and-roll. He lacks a degree of shiftiness with the ball, especially going left, and he can add more variety to his finishing package.

Not turning 18 until May 31, the uncommitted guard is still rounding out his offensive attack, but there are enough ingredients there for scouts to consider him a legitimate NBA prospect worth tracking. -- Schmitz

Looking ahead to the 2022 NBA draft

USA Basketball does an excellent job of identifying the top prospects in America -- even among players who are two or more years away from being drafted -- and an early evaluation is helpful as a baseline for future comparisons.

Outside of Paolo Banchero and Jonathan Kuminga, who were not in attendance, here are the three players drawing the most attention early on in the 2021 high school class.

Jabari Smith | 6-9 | PF | Age: 16.4

Smith put himself on the radar as a potential No. 1 pick given his upside on both ends. With his frame, long arms, big hands, fluid athleticism, strong feel for the game and versatility, Smith has everything you look for in a young prospect. He is already comfortable facing the basket, and he showed the ability to take a rebound off the defensive glass, initiate the offense and create for others. He also made a number of jumpers with silky touch. Defensively, he has the ability to switch onto guards, move his feet and make plays around the rim, though he could stand to play with a higher degree of intensity. His next steps as a prospect: continuing to carefully add bulk to his frame, developing his interior game and playing with more force around the basket. -- Givony

Chet Holmgren | 7-0 | PF/C | Age: 17.4

Holmgren looked the part of a top pick thanks to his blend of length, agility, skill and competitiveness. He is at an extremely early stage of his physical development, but he fits the modern game with his feathery stroke, ability to put the ball on the floor and defensive versatility. Holmgren shoots an easy ball out to 3 and he's capable of attacking off the bounce, often spinning through the lane and extending with either hand. Even more impressive is how often he seeks out contact at the rim despite his thin frame. On defense, he'll rotate for blocks and cover ground on closeouts. His lack of strength deems him ineffective against bruisers right now, but his skills should shine as his frame fills out. He arguably holds as much upside as any prospect to take the floor here. -- Schmitz

Patrick Baldwin | 6-10 | PF | Age: 16.8

Noted early on as the potential No. 1 prospect in the class, Baldwin doesn't appear to possess the same upside as some of his peers. However, he still has plenty of gifts that will undoubtedly make him an excellent college player and eventual a high NBA draft pick. He towers over opponents, allowing him to see plenty of time as a stretch-5. He's extremely skilled for a player his age, as he's a high-level shooter who rarely misses when left open. Capable of handling in the open floor, passing on the move and making plays defensively, Baldwin is far from a one-dimensional player. He's certainly lacking a degree of high-level agility, quickness and explosiveness, and he doesn't have the most athletic body type. Baldwin did a nice job of playing with energy over the weekend and certainly has a promising future, even if there are questions about how much these skills will translate to the highest levels. -- Schmitz

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Top 25 players for the 2019-20 college basketball season

In this last fleeting moment before actual basketball, let's look at our expectations regarding star players for 2019-20.

This set of rankings will quickly be rendered a moot point by happenings on the court, so it's good to get this down on the record now. After all, last year at this time Zion Williamson was being voted second-team All-ACC.

Just a reminder, these are rankings based on expected college performance, and not a mock draft.

Here are my preseason selections for the top 25 players in college hoops.

i

1. Cassius Winston, Michigan State Spartans

You can make a case that we were insufficiently impressed by what Winston did last season. Yes, he'd been effective as a sophomore in 2017-18, but that was when he was playing alongside Jaren Jackson and Miles Bridges. Then Winston went out and topped that performance in 2018-19, despite the absence of the injured Josh Langford. It appears that Winston and the Spartans will have to do without Langford for a bit longer. Tom Izzo is fortunate he can call upon a 6-foot-1 senior point guard who takes care of the ball and serves as an accurate volume shooter within an exceedingly accurate attack. As this top-25 list said last season, Winston is prolific, trustworthy and essential.

i

2. Markus Howard, Marquette Golden Eagles

Here is a complete list of major-conference players who have used as high a percentage of their team's possessions as Howard did for Marquette last season: Trae Young. That's it. So, yes, to watch Howard is to enjoy witnessing the same kind of all-encompassing wave of offense as we were treated to when watching Young or, back in the day, Stephen Curry at Davidson. Any entry on Howard should additionally mention that he scored 53 points in an overtime game at Creighton that his team won by two. Howard may even have a chip on his shoulder: He finished his junior season making just five of his last 23 tries from beyond the arc, and his team lost by 19 in the round of 64 to a No. 12 seed (Murray State). If we're lucky, Howard will play like he still has something to prove. Sit back and enjoy.

i

3. Cole Anthony, North Carolina Tar Heels

Anthony arrives in Chapel Hill as the latest in a long and illustrious line of lead guards, and the scouting reports suggest he can embrace that challenge and thrive in the spotlight. At 6-3, he carries a reputation for attacking the rim fearlessly and effectively, yet he also kept opponents honest from beyond the arc in his most recent EYBL campaign. Anyway, Roy Williams apparently thinks his freshman is pretty special. At UNC's media day, Anthony (the son of Greg Anthony) became the first Tar Heels freshman in recorded history to be allowed to speak with the media in the preseason. He is currently projected to be a top-five pick in the 2020 draft.

i

4. Udoka Azubuike, Kansas Jayhawks

If it's possible for a career 74% 2-point shooter on a national title contender to be overlooked, it kind of feels like that's what is happening with respect to Azubuike. He alters the picture dramatically on both sides of the ball for Kansas -- or, at least, he holds the power to do so. In the nine games he played last season before his hand injury, Azubuike was the featured scorer and showed uncanny efficiency. But he struggled to stay on the floor, and the efficiency was lessened by catastrophic shooting at the line. Put it this way: Opponents fear the day when Azubuike decides to brave the ridicule and shoot his free throws underhanded. There is -- how should one put this? -- ample room for improvement over 39%. Fortune rewards the bold.

i

5. Jordan Nwora, Louisville Cardinals

Nwora's combination of perimeter range and defensive rebounding makes him valuable and versatile. When your team is being picked by many to win the ACC and you, individually, are being named the conference's preseason player of the year, you're not going to sneak up on anyone. Nevertheless, if Nwora's sophomore year is any guide, he and the Cardinals are up to that challenge. His effortless 29-minute domination of Notre Dame in the ACC tournament (24 points, nine defensive boards) certainly felt like it was presaging triumphs still to come.

i

6. Kaleb Wesson, Ohio State Buckeyes

Ohio State made the 2019 NCAA tournament by the narrowest of margins and upset No. 6-seeded Iowa State before losing by 15 to Houston. The Buckeyes project to have a much less stressful Selection Sunday next March, however, thanks in large part to Wesson. After excelling in efficiency as a freshman and in volume as a sophomore, Wesson could well put all of the above together in 2019-20. To do so, Wesson will have to be on the floor. As a junior, he picked up at least four fouls in 14 of his 32 appearances.

i

7. Myles Powell, Seton Hall Pirates

Powell suffered through some fairly weak perimeter shooting over the second half of his junior season, and last season's below-average (in Big East play) Seton Hall offense could have used some makes from beyond the arc. Still, imagining this team without Powell is its own kind of abject lesson. Kevin Willard's star is just a complete basketball player. One example plucked fairly at random: Powell had four or more steals in a game last season on seven occasions. At 6-2, he gets to the rim consistently and he's a career 82% shooter at the line. The Pirates need more points this season, and it will be great TV watching a player of Powell's caliber try to deliver them.

i

8. James Wiseman, Memphis Tigers

The expectation for Wiseman is that he's not "just" your standard one-and-done big man. The 7-1 freshman is billed as possessing traits more commonly attributed by default to smaller types. "Hoops IQ," "nimble," take your pick, the point is that Penny Hardaway's star is making his debut with a loftier-than-average standard, even for a lottery prospect. We've become accustomed to the (mostly) rote translations between high school recruit rankings one season and first-round draft order the next. With Wiseman, however, the thinking is additionally that he can seize the moment and live up to the billing on the floor in the present tense. Wiseman has a shot at being a great college player.

i

9. Anthony Cowan, Maryland Terrapins

If there's a player on this list whose performance will be more critical to his team than Cowan's, you'd be hard-pressed to find him. A starter at point guard since Day 1 of his career in College Park, Cowan enters his senior season knowing exactly what the Terrapins need to fulfill their potential. Maryland needs chances to score, period. Cowan influences that bottom line not only with the peaks or valleys of his own turnover rate, but also by steering this offense into its most efficient channels. The Terps have shown they can crash the glass and hit their 3s ... they just require parity in scoring opportunities. Sounds like a job for a nationally prominent senior point guard.

i

10. Tristan Clark, Baylor Bears

Clark is coming off knee surgery, and Scott Drew's already cautioning that his junior likely won't be at full speed in November or possibly even in December. Understood. When Clark is up and running, he's a threat to be Big 12 Player of the Year. At 6-9, he opened Big 12 play last season with 34 points on 13-of-22 shooting against TCU and Iowa State before missing the rest of the year. Even those efforts paled next to his 27 points on a neutral floor against Ole Miss last November. We're yet to see a healthy Clark playing as the seasoned focal point of the Bears offense, but when that happens it could be something special.

i

11. Anthony Edwards, Georgia Bulldogs

Be advised that Edwards' ranking here probably is lower than his draft slot will be next summer. That's fine, and perhaps he will be elevated in the next iteration of these rankings. For now, however, the NBA has its reasons (Edwards is not only preternaturally talented, he's also younger than any other lottery-track prospect other than LaMelo Ball) and this list has its own (very young players occasionally look like it as freshmen). The 6-5 freshman did have an impressive outing in Georgia's opening exhibition win over a D-II opponent, scoring 18 points on 7-of-11 shooting from the floor. The lion's share of those stats came from the contest's first 23 minutes.

i

12. Tyrese Haliburton, Iowa State Cyclones

It's possible we haven't seen an ultra-low-possession-usage point guard on a first-round trajectory like Haliburton since Kendall Marshall was at North Carolina a few years back. When talent coincides with infrequent shot attempts, it will be said the player in question needs to score more. Sure enough, it's being said Haliburton needs to score more, and, to be clear, it would be close to impossible to shoot less often than the sophomore did last season. Do bear in mind, however, that ISU scored a robust 1.08 points per trip in Big 12 play last season with Haliburton being Haliburton. If he unleashes an inner Mamba he has been hiding all this time, great. If not, the Cyclones still project to be quite good on offense.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

13. Jarron Cumberland, Cincinnati Bearcats

Cumberland is vying to join former SMU star Nic Moore as the only American Athletic Conference standouts to win the league's player of the year award two seasons in a row. True, the conference has only been around since 2013-14, but it would still be a nice feather in the cap. Anyway, if you weren't impressed by Cumberland last season, you weren't paying enough attention. On a team that had just lost Gary Clark (2018 American POY), Jacob Evans and Kyle Washington, Cumberland stepped forward and carried the UC offense to the promised land of "good enough." That plus garden-variety Bearcat D netted the team a No. 7 seed in the NCAA tournament. The senior will give coach John Brannen a running start in his first season at the helm.

i

14. Kerry Blackshear, Florida Gators

The last time you saw Blackshear, he was single-handedly threatening Duke with elimination in the Sweet 16 thanks to his late-game heroics on Virginia Tech's offensive glass. (Blackshear had 11 offensive boards in that game. The Blue Devils, as a team, had eight.) Now he's at Florida, where Mike White has brought in two consecutive elite recruiting classes to pair with Blackshear, the preseason SEC Player of the Year. Offensive rebounds and 2s are Blackshear's thing, and both at a high volume. The 6-10 senior is also an exceptional distributor from the post.

i

15. Sam Merrill, Utah State Aggies

Merrill had what for him was a slightly "off" season shooting 3s last year, which must be pretty frightening for opponents, considering he has been named preseason Mountain West Player of the Year. The respect is well-deserved. Merrill takes what opposing defenses give him and, at 6-5, he's perfectly capable of creating his own opportunities. The Aggies may be hard-pressed to repeat last season's 15-3 run through the MWC, but, between Merrill and Neemias Queta, they might still end up claiming the two best players in the league.

i

16. Tre Jones, Duke Blue Devils

Few players who struggle to make 3s have come in for quite as much grief as Jones, including UCF reportedly shouting "Shoot it!" and "Hell, nah!" during a round of 32 nail-biter last March. No, the sophomore isn't going to blossom into JJ Redikk in one season, but, hey, he may do better than the 26% accuracy on 3s he recorded last season. The conversation sure has come a long way from where it was last January, when Jones was injured and it was said (Zion who?) that he truly is Duke's most indispensable player. That may well be correct this season, for no one doubts that Jones is a deft distributor who can get to the rim and who also just happens to play excellent D.

i

17. Antoine Davis, Detroit Mercy Titans

For a few heady days last November, Davis looked like he might have a go at the record Stephen Curry set at Davidson in 2007-08 for most made 3-pointers in a season (162). After just six games, the freshman had already drained 39 shots from beyond the arc. Instead, it was Wofford's Fletcher Magee who made Curry sweat before falling short. Now Davis is the leading returning 3-point shooter by volume in Division I, as well as being a pretty fair point guard who excels at getting to the line.

i

18. Tyler Bey, Colorado Buffaloes

Forget forecasting sophomore breakouts -- Bey just had one. Now he projects to loom large in the frontcourt despite a listed height of 6-7. Naturally, players of that size who haven't shown they can make 3s (Bey is 5-of-28 over his first two seasons) will not be spoken of in the same breath as Pac-12 players who are larger and/or who do make 3s. That's fine for pro scouting purposes. Just keep in mind that, in the present tense, Bey's an exceptionally effective college player. Bey is the master of all he surveys on the defensive glass and takes fully 60% of his shots at the rim while carrying a heavy load on offense alongside McKinley Wright.

i

19. Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois Fighting Illini

It has been a while since an Illinois player needed to affirmatively announce he was passing up a shot at the professional ranks, but Dosunmu surprised some observers when he did just that in April. Granted, the surprise was due more to his potential than being a player who didn't make third-team All-Big Ten last season coming back for another go. (He was named honorable mention.) The time for that potential to be realized is now: Dosunmu has good size (6-5) for a combo guard, and he already has a season under his belt functioning as a co-featured scorer alongside Giorgi Bezhanishvili and Trent Frazier. His perimeter accuracy faded a bit late in his freshman season even as his handle improved, but if Dosunmu puts everything together, Illinois will improve for a third straight season.

Get the best of ESPN sent to your inbox
Privacy PolicyRead the Latest1676

i

20. Kamar Baldwin, Butler Bulldogs

The best indication of Baldwin's motor may be the fact that, as an undersized (6-1), high-volume scoring guard playing in a major conference, he is a career 51% shooter inside the arc. While perimeter success has been hit-and-miss over his three seasons, the senior has always played D and hit his free throws. After missing the NCAA tournament last season, the Bulldogs are a safe bet to improve in 2020. As for Baldwin, he's on track to finish his career as one of Butler's all-time leading scorers and, possibly, in the NCAA tournament, where BU belongs.

i

21. Desmond Bane, TCU Horned Frogs

No one on this list has been shooting as accurately for as long as Bane, who enters his senior season as a career 43% shooter beyond the arc and 57% inside it. Though it may have escaped your notice in real time, Bane brought those percentages to life in a 30-point outing (on 10-of-15 shooting) against Nebraska in the NIT last March. The Big 12's not going to be a picnic for any team, and an NCAA bid may be a stretch for the Horned Frogs. Nevertheless, Bane can keep TCU in that hunt, particularly if coach Jamie Dixon can find a way to defend the paint this season.

i

22. Devon Dotson, Kansas Jayhawks

Dotson has already emerged after just one season as one of the best two-way players in the Big 12. Moreover, he ended his freshman campaign on a tear, scoring 78 points and connecting on 59% of his 2s in five neutral-floor games across the Big 12 and NCAA tournaments. His defense is a clear benefit to the Jayhawks, and Dotson's 25-10 double-double in KU's overtime win at TCU in February raised hopes in Lawrence that the string of Big 12 titles might continue after all (even though it did not). The 6-2 sophomore gives every indication that he's about to deliver a commanding 2019-20.

i

23. Ashton Hagans, Kentucky Wildcats

In just his third collegiate start, Hagans personally ambushed North Carolina and recorded eight steals in Kentucky's 80-72 win last season at the United Center in Chicago. When he's not terrorizing opposing offenses this season, the sophomore will likely be found dishing assists and converting 2s. True, Hagans has turnover issues and perimeter range is a work in progress. (Nor did he fare especially well against Auburn in the Elite Eight.) Still, John Calipari's point guard is a proven distributor who's already quite accomplished at two aspects of the game that young players often need to work on, namely free throws and D. The rest (or enough of the rest) could fall into place pretty soon.

i

24. Jay Huff, Virginia Cavaliers

Many observers have Mamadi Diakite teed up for "player from defending national champion goes here" individual honors and, well, those observers may be correct. Who knows, we may even see multiple representatives from Tony Bennett's roster the next time we do this list. But for now, we'll go with Huff simply because he's a "great leap forward" waiting to happen. True, the junior will have to rein in his fouling now that he's a necessity and not a carpe diem reserve. Assuming that does indeed take place, it behooves us to keep an eye on a 7-1 rim-defender whose career effective FG% is 68.6, and who used an above-average share of an eventual No. 1 seed's possessions during his (admittedly scarce) sophomore minutes.

i

25. Jalen Pickett, Siena Saints

Meet your preseason MAAC Player of the Year, as voted on by the league's coaches. Pickett's only a sophomore, yet he sports one of the highest assist rates of any returning player in the country. (We see you, too, Kai Toews.) He also makes his shots from both sides of the arc, forces turnovers and even, at 6-4, blocks an occasional shot. Pickett will carry even more of the load on offense for Siena now that Evan Fisher has graduated.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

NBA draft No. 1 pick debate: Who are the real contenders in 2020?

After starting off last year at No. 3 in our draft rankings behind teammate R.J. Barrett and UNC's Nassir Little, Duke's Zion Williamson quickly climbed to No. 1 and held down that consensus top spot for the rest of the year.

How is the race for the No. 1 pick shaping up in 2020?

Memphis big man James Wiseman starts off the year on top. Why does he have the spot? How deep does the field of contenders go? And which prospect has the highest ceiling?

Our draft experts answer the big questions about this year's race before the college season begins.

Why is Wiseman No. 1 to start the year?

Jonathan Givony: That's a great question, one we've been wrestling with for the past six months. Our initial projection had Washington forward Jaden McDaniels at No. 1, Georgia guard Anthony Edwards at No. 2 and Wiseman at No. 3. A rough senior year for McDaniels, highlighted by an especially poor showing on the high school all-star game circuit, eventually convinced us to move him all the way down to No. 9, with Wiseman moving up to No. 1 after strong showings at the McDonald's All-American Game, Nike Hoop Summit and Jordan Brand Classic.

Wiseman might be more of a placeholder at the top until a more solid candidate emerges. We debated moving both LaMelo Ball (whom NBA teams have yet to fully warm to) and Edwards (the least known of the group in scouting circles) to No. 1 this week. That could still happen fairly early in the college season. This draft is wide open at the top.

The clearest reason to go with Wiseman now is that he's who most NBA teams have atop their board. Another surprising reason is positional scarcity. After a 2019 draft that featured just one center in the lottery and two in the top 25, there's a case that the teams at the top of the 2020 draft will have a real need for a big man in Wiseman's mold.

Look at the five teams at the bottom of ESPN's power rankings: the New York Knicks, Sacramento Kings, Cleveland Cavaliers, Charlotte Hornets and Washington Wizards. All of them could at least consider picking a franchise-caliber center at No. 1 if given the opportunity. While post-ups are unlikely to return as a default option for coaches, everyone needs an athletic, pick-and-roll-finishing, rim-protecting, switchy 7-footer who can contend with Joel Embiid, Karl-Anthony Towns and Nikola Jokic.

Still, Wiseman needs a productive, efficient, winning season to hold this spot once draft day rolls around. All the mystery around him sitting out Memphis' exhibitions isn't helping matters. Unlike last year, I suspect we're going to be having this No. 1 pick conversation for a while.

Mike, what do you think?

Mike Schmitz: Wiseman's body of work and his freakish physical profile certainly warrant consideration at the No. 1 spot. But I do wonder if we (myself included) put a little too much stock in Wiseman's showing at the 2019 Hoop Summit, which has proved to be fool's gold at times in the past (see Skal Labissiere).

In Portland, Wiseman was dominant as a defensive anchor, blocking six shots in just 22 minutes while smoothly knocking down face-up jumpers and running the floor impressively. He was equally as dominant during the Jordan Brand Classic practices and game.

But it's fair to wonder: Did Wiseman simply turn it on at the right time against lesser competition? Will he revert back to the big we saw float through games? If he's not playing with a consistent motor and toughness, what does he reliably bring to the table?

I was riding high on Wiseman myself after those performances, and I do think he's the guy NBA teams feel most comfortable with at this point. But rewatching bigs such as Evan Mobley and Isaiah Stewart go at him time and time again at the high school level reminded me why we had questions about him in the first place.

I might have some recency bias, having just returned from a scouting trip to Australia, but I'd rather take LaMelo Ball. I also don't think Wiseman has the highest floor. I'd actually lean Edwards there.

Wiseman figures to be a useful player, but if he never becomes a defensive anchor or a legitimate floor spacer, what's his greatest value add on the floor? Most of the bigs finding success today can really read the game, and that's an area where Wiseman still has work to do. At the very least with Edwards, you're getting an aggressive, confident three-level scorer with two-way potential and the exact athletic profile of several successful NBA guards.

Who has the highest ceiling?
Schmitz: JG, What are your thoughts on Edwards, and who do you think has the highest superstar ceiling?

Givony: While last year's playoffs reemphasized the importance of the NBA big man, the high pace and scoring outputs we're seeing so far this season unquestionably tell us how important it is to have a go-to creator who can get you a bucket. Edwards has the most upside there.

We don't have a ton of data points on Edwards at this stage. He was a late bloomer on a weak high school squad with very little help or structure. He played on the weaker Under Armour circuit with a team that lost more games than it won. He surprisingly declined an invite to USA Basketball a year ago, which likely cost him a spot at the Nike Hoop Summit in April. And he is one of the youngest players in this class, having elected to reclassify up a year, which removed even more opportunities to evaluate him against top-level competition. But what we have seen of Edwards is awfully impressive.

He is perhaps the most physically gifted guard in this class, listed at 6-foot-5, 225 pounds by Georgia, with a wingspan nearing 7 feet and impressive athletic ability. His potential operating out of ball screens is off the charts because of his ability to get into his pull-up jumper, the way he bounces off opponents en route to the rim and his dynamic play in transition. He shows you flashes as a passer and defender -- two areas in which he perhaps has the most room for growth. And he really doesn't have major holes in his game besides his lack of experience.

How Edwards looks in February and March will be a lot more important to me than how he looks in November, and how much growth he displays will hopefully tell us a lot about his overall upside. Edwards (and North Carolina guard Cole Anthony) will provide some of the best entertainment value for casual fans to observe over the course of the college season.

How many No. 1 pick contenders are there?
Givony: Mike, how deep does the list of realistic No. 1 pick contenders go? Is there anyone we're not talking about who could leap up that high?

Schmitz: For now, the list includes Edwards, Wiseman, Ball and Anthony. Personally, I think the first three have a leg up on Anthony in terms of NBA upside, but given his EYBL production and how electric Coby White looked under Roy Williams last season, I'd expect the UNC freshman to be one of the most productive players in the country. That should keep him in the discussion.

As for potential No. 1 sleepers, a couple of months back I likely would have said Deni Avdija deserved at least a sniff at the top, but his lack of playing time and productivity with Maccabi Tel Aviv thus far likely takes him out of contention. However, if he were in the NCAA getting 35 minutes a game, I think he'd be in the mix, and I'm still enamored with his versatility.

I don't actually see a realistic dark horse No. 1 pick at this juncture, but there are a few top-10-caliber prospects I'll be watching closely early on, starting with Jaden McDaniels. There's a reason he was once No. 1 on our board. I was at Washington practice a few weeks ago, and it's fair to say he's one of the most tantalizing prospects in the draft. He's at least 6-10, moves fluidly across the court, has great feet defensively, can handle and pass and carries the potential to make shots with his feet set or off the dribble. He could earn some Cam Reddish comparisons with his inconsistent production. But if he maximizes his talent, he could easily reenter the top-five discussion and emerge as a threat toward the top of the draft. He's that talented.

After McDaniels, I have my eye on Tyrese Haliburton and Tyrese Maxey. While they may not end up being as productive, I wonder if the gap between them and Anthony is as large as we currently project. Haliburton was outstanding while operating strictly on the ball this summer at the U19 World Championships. He plays both ends with incredible instincts at 6-foot-5, and he knocks down standstill 3s at a high clip, despite funky mechanics. I've always loved the way Maxey plays, and his off-the-dribble shooting and scoring instincts should earn him fans among NBA front offices.

JG, what will you be watching most closely in the No. 1 pick race to start the season?

Givony: I want to see how Anthony opens the season. He's drawing the widest variance of opinions from NBA teams. Even though he was the MVP of both McDonald's and Jordan Brand and would have been the MVP of the Hoop Summit if that were awarded, there was quite a bit of negativity around him this spring when I talked privately with NBA scouts.

It's easy to nitpick Anthony, as he can play a ball-dominant and sometimes ugly style of basketball, with plenty of bad shots, head-down drives and questionable body language. He came up flat in some of his biggest high school games, getting dominated by Cade Cunningham and Montverde, shooting 4-for-16 from the field in the Geico Nationals semifinals in a loss to La Lumiere and losing to an unheralded Imhotep team at the City of Palms semifinals. A lot of that was put to bed in the spring with the way he played on the all-star circuit, and he certainly couldn't have picked a better place to showcase himself than at North Carolina, where the ball will be in his hands on one of the fastest-paced teams in the country.

Say what you want about Anthony's style, but you have to respect his scoring instincts, hunger for getting into the teeth of the defense, shot-making prowess and willingness to put his body on the line for hustle plays. He's a better passer than he gets credit for, especially when he's letting the game come to him, and he can really get up and guard people when he's operating at maximum intensity.

It will be fascinating to see which version of Anthony we get over the course of the season. How much will he help UNC win and will he make his teammates better? Is he more Derrick Rose or Collin Sexton?

Mike, if the draft were today, who would you select No. 1?

Schmitz: LaMelo Ball.

Do I think this is the route that NBA teams will ultimately go? No. There still seems to be a fair amount of skepticism surrounding what comes along with drafting Ball. Whichever franchise selects him likely needs to feel it has the proper infrastructure in place to handle the potential distractions that could follow him, and teams with that type of stability usually aren't the ones drafting at the top. Unlike NBA teams, though, I don't have to think about having Facebook cameras in my locker room, so it's far easier for me to rank Ball at No. 1 than an NBA general manager trying to build a team culture or fighting to keep his job.

But I believe Ball is the best prospect in the draft at the moment. He and Edwards are close, and I could very well have a different answer after getting an extensive look at Georgia. However, I haven't seen many 18-year-olds with Ball's passing feel, creativity and overall basketball instincts. He makes one or two wow plays every single game, and his production in Australia's National Basketball League thus far has been admirable given the lack of weapons on his team.

He's rarely rattled, with the confidence and ability to turn broken plays into magic like few other prospects I've evaluated. Simply put, these other prospects can become better shooters, decision makers or defenders, but they'll never have LaMelo's creativity with the ball. On top of that, he's far shiftier than his brother Lonzo, with more upside as a scorer. Yes, he can become a more disciplined, willing defender. Yes, he would benefit from relying on fewer deep pull-ups. Yes, he still uses somewhat of a low release push shot and is hitting just 18.4% of his 3-point attempts. Yes, he may not be one for grueling practice sessions.

But Ball can roll out of bed and give you a triple-double while making deliveries few other players on the planet would even think of attempting. If it all clicks, Ball has a chance to be special. Give me the 6-7 point guard who can make every read, put defenders on skates, make shots with range and who at least has the tools and instincts to be a factor defensively. With teammate Aaron Brooks now out for the year with a torn Achilles and the Illawarra Hawks at 1-6, we'll certainly have our eye on how Ball's role changes and whether he remains engaged during what could be a long season for his club.