Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
AFC SOUTH
i

Jacksonville Jaguars
Offseason grade: B+

First-round pick Dante Fowler Jr. and veteran tight end Julius Thomas were the big-ticket personnel additions for Jacksonville last season. Both got hurt. Neither factored as anticipated, which means Bill Polian's comments from last offseason might still apply: "They are in a situation where everything goes wrong all the time, but they are working hard enough that their luck will change." Bringing back former quarterbacks coach Greg Olson as offensive coordinator and adding to the offensive personnel panned out. The Jaguars jumped from 32nd to 14th in points scored and from 31st to 21st in offensive expected points added per game. If only they could have realized similar gains on the defensive side of the ball.

Re-grade: C+

i

Houston Texans
Offseason grade: C+

The Texans re-signed Ryan Mallett, added Brian Hoyer and parted with Ryan Fitzpatrick. It wasn't much of a solution at quarterback, but then again, what were the options? Getting a second crack at the 2014 quarterback draft class was not one of them, so the Texans spun their wheels and probably lost some ground at the position. The moves they made in the secondary paid off. First-round choice Kevin Johnson joined the re-signed Johnathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson to give Houston a good combination of talent and depth. Getting a career-high 12 sacks from the newly re-signed Whitney Mercilus was another plus for Houston.

Re-grade: B-

i

Indianapolis Colts
Offseason grade: C+

The Colts made a series of boom-or-bust moves that went bust. They still nearly won the AFC South, but they finally paid the price for failing to build an effective offensive line and scheme to protect quarterback Andrew Luck. With Luck struggling before finally leaving the lineup with a multitude of injuries, the Colts failed to maximize veteran offseason additions Frank Gore and Andre Johnson. They also had a hard time getting value from first-round receiver Phillip Dorsett, who missed five games entirely and played more than 35 percent of the snaps just once all season -- in Week 17.

Re-grade: D-

i

Tennessee Titans
Offseason grade: B-

First-round pick Marcus Mariota finished his first season with the fifth-highest QBR (61.0) among 29 qualifying rookies over the past decade. That was a notch better than Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater and Cam Newton as first-year players -- and just behind Andrew Luck. The addition of Mariota salvages an offseason marked by decent but not highly impactful moves. Brian Orakpo was about what the Titans expected, particularly before Derrick Morgan's injury (re-signing Morgan was another plus from the offseason). Free-agent addition Perrish Cox signed for too much money. Watching Michael Oher fare better elsewhere after leaving Tennessee had to hurt.

AFC WEST
i

Denver Broncos
Offseason grade: C

The middling grade for Denver reflected a feeling that the team failed to upgrade its offensive line sufficiently after reducing Peyton Manning's salary. On-field results justified those concerns. A season-ending injury to left tackle Ryan Clady was both unfortunate and not entirely surprising given that he missed 14 games in 2013. The Broncos did not get much from their draft class, which came as little surprise. Denver weathered these deficiencies and Manning's sharp decline to reach the Super Bowl thanks in part to the addition of Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator. That move must go down as one of the best a team made this past offseason. It's why the Broncos' offseason mark is higher now.

i

Kansas City Chiefs
Offseason grade: B

Adding receiver Jeremy Maclin through free agency and cornerback Marcus Peters through the draft armed Kansas City with a key playmaker on each side of the ball. Both played prominent roles in Kansas City reaching the postseason. Second-round choice Mitch Morse also became a valued contributor on the offensive line. The Chiefs were able to re-sign both Justin Houston (long term) and Tamba Hali (short term), while committing to versatile defensive back Ron Parker. Those moves helped Kansas City win with its defense for much of the season.

Re-grade: B+

i

Oakland Raiders

Adding Amari Cooper, Mario Edwards Jr. and Clive Walford through the draft paid immediate dividends, as did re-signing safety Charles Woodson. The Raiders also got good value on the veteran market by signing receiver Michael Crabtree to a deal worth $3.2 million annually. Oakland got about what it expected from pricier free-agent additions in center Rodney Hudson and two-down defensive tackle Dan Williams. Aldon Smith was a miss, but the cost was minuscule. Improving from 3-13 in 2014 to 7-9 in Jack Del Rio's first season reflected well on his hiring as the team's sixth head coach in the past decade.

i

San Diego Chargers

Linebacker Denzel Perryman provided immediate positive impact as a second-round pick. Veteran cornerback Patrick Robinson was a success story on a contract averaging $2 million per year. Tackle Joe Barksdale was also a good value on a one-year deal. Those were notable successes, but the Chargers didn't get great value from their pricier free-agent additions. Orlando Franklin, Stevie Johnson and Donald Brown underwhelmed. Cornerback Brandon Flowersstruggled after re-signing for $9.1 million per year. Philip Rivers' contract situation was resolved, but the Eric Weddle situation remained uncomfortable. The Chargers also got little from first-round pick Melvin Gordon, who had fumbling issues and struggled behind a poor line. Is he the answer?

Re-grade: C-

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
NFC NORTH
i

Chicago Bears

New coach John Fox and new GM Ryan Pace stuck with quarterback Jay Cutler and had a plan for managing the volatility out of his game -- all while gaining about three points per game in scoring differential. They spent big forPernell McPhee in free agency and were not disappointed. Led by surprise fifth-round pick Adrian Amos, their rookies ranked second in snaps played, despite Chicago first-round receiver Kevin White missing every game with a shin injury. White's absence made the Bears miss Brandon Marshall, whom they had traded away. That was bad luck, not bad management.

Re-grade: B

i

Detroit Lions

The moves Detroit made along its offensive line, including using a first-round pick for guard Laken Tomlinson, did not produce desired results. Second-round running back Ameer Abdullah showed great promise, but fumbling problems made it tough for the Lions to trust him. And while re-signing linebacker DeAndre Levy was a smart move, the defense wasn't close to the same without Suh, Nick Fairley and others. Levy's injury problems also contributed. The Lions might have struck gold with sixth-round corner Quandre Diggs, but the moves they made last offseason weren't enough to keep the team competitive. A strong finish to the 2015 season does provide some hope.

Re-grade: C

i

Green Bay Packers
Offseason grade: A-

The Packers did make the right personnel moves, notably re-signing tackle Bryan Bulaga and receiver Randall Cobb. It was tough to know whether Green Bay would get much from its draft class, but as Mel Kiper pointed out in his 2015 draft re-grade, that group exceeded first-year expectations. Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins, Ty Montgomery and Jake Ryan all contributed. Losing top receiver Jordy Nelson to a season-ending injury during camp wound up hurting the offense more than I would have anticipated. Finding a comparable replacement for him in late August was not realistic. The Packers' grade fell a bit mostly because Mike McCarthy's decision to relinquish play-calling duties went badly enough (in his view) for the head coach to reclaim those duties during the season.

i

Minnesota Vikings

The Vikings acquired receiver Mike Wallace from Miami and paid him $9.85 million in salary for pedestrian production (39-473-2). That was not such an exciting move in retrospect, but Minnesota could feel good about getting 3,275 snaps from rookies, fifth most in the NFL. Second-rounder Eric Kendricks, third-rounder Danielle Hunter and fifth-rounder Stefon Diggs look like keepers. First-rounder Trae Waynes disappointed as a rookie, playing only 189 snaps with one start, but the addition of Terence Newman allowed the Vikings to take their time with the young CB. The team's ability to work through differences with running back Adrian Peterson was another key offseason victory for Minnesota.

NFC SOUTH
i

Atlanta Falcons

How should the Falcons feel about their first three draft choices (Vic Beasley Jr., Jalen Collins and Tevin Coleman)? How should they feel about new coach Dan Quinn after they lost eight of their final 11 games to finish 8-8? How should they feel about Matt Ryan's prospects under new offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan after Ryan matched his single-season high with 21 turnovers? Questions outnumber answers for the Falcons, which is why their 2015 offseason isn't looking quite as good now. Receiver Julio Jones showed he was worth his new contract. The Falcons' move to acquire guard Andy Levitre helped their running game, but he was not consistently effective.

i

Carolina Panthers
Offseason grade: C

Who can argue with a 17-1 record? No one. The Panthers have gotten nine interceptions from free-agent addition Kurt Coleman, a signing that made much more sense for them than it would have for other teams, based on his familiarity with coordinator Sean McDermott's defense. The Panthers are also getting more from free-agent addition Michael Oher than Tennessee got from him, a positive reflection on the player, the coaching staff and the organization in general. Bringing back Ted Ginn Jr. proved to be an excellent move despite his inconsistent hands. Re-signing Greg Olsen was a no-brainer. Time will tell whether Carolina gets much from its draft class. Shaq Thompson and Devin Funchess are supporting players at this point. There's no shame in that when the record is 17-1.

i

New Orleans Saints

The Saints got a league-high 3,040 defensive snaps from their rookies, which sounds great, but the New Orleans defense was once again the NFL's worst by just about any meaningful measure. That makes it tough to applaud New Orleans with much vigor for the young talent added on the defensive side, even if linebacker Stephone Anthony looks like a keeper. The Saints scored a short-term victory over Seattle in the Jimmy Graham-for-Max Unger trade, and re-signing Cameron Jordan certainly made sense. The Saints did well in finding cornerback Delvin Breaux from the CFL, and Tim Hightower's resurgence partly offset a disappointing first season in New Orleans for C.J. Spiller. But first-round pick Andrus Peat bounced around various spots along the offensive line without getting a shot to settle down, and not many free-agent deals worked out worse than the one New Orleans gave cornerback Brandon Browner.

i

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

This grade holds firm after the Buccaneers upped their victory total from two (2014) to six this past season while getting a league-high 4,868 snaps from their rookies. That was 1,243 more offensive and defensive snaps than any other team got from its first-year players. First-rounder Jameis Winston, second-rounder Ali Marpet and fourth-rounder Kwon Alexander all look like they have bright futures. Another second-round choice, left tackle Donovan Smith, played every snap, with mixed results. Winston's 58.6 Total QBR ranks sixth among 29 qualifying rookies over the past decade. Tampa Bay largely refrained from the veteran market after whiffing on high-priced veterans a year earlier.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
NFC WEST
i

Arizona Cardinals

The Cardinals did well in signing coach Bruce Arians and GM Steve Keim to contract extensions. Arians' bet on James Bettcher as Todd Bowles' replacement at defensive coordinator seemed to work out exactly how the Cardinals hoped it would. Arizona got a career year from franchise icon Larry Fitzgerald after resolving a tricky contract situation. The Cardinals also got positive results from their running game after adding guard Mike Iupati in free agency and running back David Johnson in the draft's third round. The re-grade would be higher if Arizona had been able to lift its pass rush onto a more solid long-term foundation.

i

Los Angeles Rams

The Rams' grade took a hit largely because acquiring Nick Foles made a shaky offense demonstrably less potent. Foles' 30.0 QBR ranked dead last out of 35 qualifying quarterbacks, 10.9 points worse than the 34th QB (Joe Flacco). Sam Bradford was only 33rd on that list, but at least he was trending upward later in the season. Foles was on the Rams' bench at that point, and it's questionable whether he can be salvaged. That's bad news considering the Rams signed Foles to a two-year extension worth $24.5 million before the season started. The 2015 season also was one-and-done for Frank Cignetti, Jeff Fisher's latest offensive coordinator. Those two failures -- missing on the QB, firing the OC -- made the offseason a failure as well. The Rams' other moves worked out well enough. Akeem Ayers and Nick Fairley contributed to a solid defense. Todd Gurley met expectations at running back, and second-rounder Rob Havenstein showed promise at right tackle.

Re-grade: D

i

San Francisco 49ers
Offseason grade: D+

Promoting Jim Tomsula to the head-coaching job was the ultimate "trust us" move by the 49ers' ownership and front office. It did not work out well enough for the team to give Tomsula a second season, which explains why San Francisco emerged with the second-lowest re-grade. The coaching change predictably did not produce immediate positive results for a team that was turning over its roster to become one of the NFL's younger teams almost overnight. Draft choices Arik Armstead and Jaquiski Tartt showed promise. Torrey Smith could have been a solid addition at wide receiver if the 49ers had gotten better quarterback play. Overall, the personnel additions San Francisco made could not offset the long list of key losses, some of which were beyond the team's control.

Re-grade: D-

i

Seattle Seahawks

The B-plus grade reflected moves made before the Seahawks re-signed quarterback Russell Wilson, which helps elevate Seattle now. Rookies Tyler Lockett and Thomas Rawls (undrafted) showed star potential, while second-rounderFrank Clark flashed as a pass-rusher. Veteran Ahtyba Rubin became the latest midpriced veteran defensive lineman to flourish in Seattle. On the down side, Seattle whiffed on $7 million-per-year free-agent cornerback Cary Williams, releasing him during the season. And while Jimmy Graham was gaining momentum before he was injured, Seattle underestimated how much center Max Unger would be missed. The Seahawks also overestimated their offensive line talent in general.

Re-grade: A-

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Daily Fantasy Basketball: Best Buys for Feb. 2

Each day, we'll provide you with the players to target in your daily leagues, from the high-priced studs to the solid midrange values to the cheaper, riskier players with upside.

In general, you want to use safer options in your cash games and rely on some riskier, high-upside options in your bigger tournaments. If you can average five to six points per $1,000 of salary on DraftKings, you'll typically end up with some cash in your pocket.

Note: We're sending out these Insider tips early in the day, and much can change after these are posted. Be sure to follow this Twitter list of NBA reporters, bloggers and announcers for late-breaking injury updates and lineup changes.
Point guard
High-priced studs

Damian Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers ($9,200) vs. MIL: Lillard went for 23 points, five rebounds and seven assists the first time the Blazers and Bucks met this season, and he has one of the highest ceilings of anyone on Tuesday's five-game slate. Lillard enters the night with four games in a row of at least 39 fantasy points.

Kyle Lowry, Toronto Raptors ($8,700) at PHO: You can count on the Suns having a little extra pep in their step in their first game under interim coach Earl Watson, which means this game could stay close throughout. That bodes well for Lowry in a matchup against a Suns team that allows more DraftKings points to point guards than any other team in the league.

Isaiah Thomas, Boston Celtics ($7,500) at NY: Thomas lives for the big moment, much like another player with the same name did back in the 1980s and 90s, and there is no bigger stage than Madison Square Garden. Thomas has played well in two games against the Knicks this season, too: 27.5 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 7 APG, 0.5 SPG.

Cheap with upside

Patrick Beverley, Houston Rockets ($4,500) vs. MIA: Beverley comes cheap despite having scored over 26 fantasy points in four of the last five games, including back to back games with over 30.

Cory Joseph, Toronto Raptors ($3,900) at PHO: Phoenix is the worst team in the league at defending point guards, and Joseph could very well see more minutes than usual if the Raptors pull away.
Shooting guard
High-priced studs

James Harden, Houston Rockets ($10,300) vs. MIA: Harden's shooting percentage keeps rising after an icy start to the season; the Beard is shooting 47 percent over his last 10 games, and the rest of his numbers are equally impressive (27.6 PPG, 7.6 RPG, 7.8 APG, 1.3 SPG).

DeMar DeRozan, Toronto Raptors ($8,100) at PHO: DeRozan's big-time scoring ability and Phoenix's poor backcourt defense are the recipe of a monster game out of the Raptors swingman. Last time he faced the Suns, he went for 29 points and added three rebounds, seven assists and a blocked shot.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

Get the latest fantasy updates, tips and stories from our experts straight to your newsfeed. ESPN FANTASY ON FACEBOOK

Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat ($7,300) at HOU: Wade scored 20 points and added two rebounds, eight assists and two steals in his first meeting against the Rockets this season and continues to play good basketball at age 34. This game is expected to be one of the highest scoring of the night, and the opportunity is there for another strong performance out of Wade.

Khris Middleton, Milwaukee Bucks ($7,100) at POR: Middleton comes in averaging 20.3 points, 4.5 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 1.7 steals over the last 10 games, and he has the size to exploit a smaller defender like Portland's C.J. McCollum.

Solid values

Devin Booker, Phoenix Suns ($5,600) vs. TOR: Booker needs about 26 fantasy points to reach his salary value tonight, and that's a mark he has reached in six of the past seven games. His heavy workload and scoring/shooting ability give him a high ceiling, despite him being the youngest player in the league.

Cheap with upside

Evan Turner, Boston Celtics ($4,800) at NY: Prior to Sunday's game at Orlando, when Turner had 19 fantasy points, he had scored over 30 in three straight and over 20 in seven straight. Needless to say, he's a solid value at this price.
Small forward
High-priced studs

Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks ($8,400) vs. BOS: Melo posted double-doubles in each of his past two games (Phoenix and Golden State) and averaged five assists in those games as well. He is priced higher than we'd like against a highly rated defense like Boston's, but he also has a higher ceiling than most small forwards on the short slate. Anthony has scored over 45 fantasy points in six of the last 15 games.

Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks ($7,300) at POR: The Greek Freak is shooting a torrid 54 percent from the field in his last 10 games, and played well in an earlier matchup against the Blazers this season (17 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 2 blocks).

Solid values

Trevor Ariza, Houston Rockets ($5,900) vs. MIA: Ariza is playing his best ball of the season right now, having scored over 30 fantasy points in five of the last six games. That's all he has to do tonight in order to reach his salary value.

Cheap with upside

Justise Winslow, Miami Heat ($4,400) at HOU: Winslow has a ceiling in the high 20s, but he is playing right around 35 minutes a game these days and has a good chance to reach that ceiling against Houston's 26th-ranked defense.
Power forward
High-priced studs

Chris Bosh, Miami Heat ($7,700) at HOU: Bosh is a safe option. He may not reach the 38 fantasy points needed to reach his salary value, but he will very likely come close. The veteran big man won't have Hassan Whiteside next to him tonight, which means more rebounding opportunities, and he comes in having scored at least 30 fantasy points in 12 of the last 15 games (never scoring under 27 during that span).

Kristaps Porzingis, New York Knicks ($7,000) vs. BOS: Porzingis is playing well again, and he has already shown a fondness for playing the Celtics. In two previous meetings this season, the 7-foot-3 rookie has averaged 21 points, nine rebounds, two steals and 2.5 blocks per game. Anything close to those averages tonight would make him a steal at this salary.

Solid values

Julius Randle, Los Angeles Lakers ($6,400) vs. MIN: Minnesota ranks in the middle of the league in terms of defending power forwards, and Randle finds himself in a nice little groove with at least 25 fantasy points in seven of the past eight games.

Jabari Parker, Milwaukee Bucks ($5,300) at POR: Parker has averaged right around 25 fantasy points per game over the last six games, and he has a good chance to exceed that against Portland's 20th-ranked defense.

Cheap with upside

Josh Smith, Houston Rockets ($4,300) vs. MIA:Dwight Howard's one-game suspension thrusts Smith into a bigger role on Tuesday, and it wouldn't be surprising to see him get some run at center if the Rockets go to a small-ball lineup against the Whiteside-less Heat.
Center
High-priced studs

Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota Timberwolves ($7,800) at LAL: The best play of the night in the minds of many, Towns has averaged 20 points, 13 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in two games against the Lakers this season. He comes in with at least 49 fantasy points in five of the last six games, and is glaringly underpriced in this matchup against the league's worst defense.

Greg Monroe, Milwaukee Bucks ($7,000) at POR: If you don't go with Towns at center, Monroe is the next-best option. He is just about as consistent as anyone out there in DFS these days, and his 48.5 fantasy points on Monday against Sacramento extended his streak with at least 30 fantasy points to 12. His ceiling is impressive, too; he eclipsed 40 fantasy points in five of those games.

Solid values

Gorgui Dieng, Minnesota Timberwolves ($5,400) at LAL: An excellent value against an inferior defense, Dieng comes in scoring over 31 fantasy points in each of the last three games, which came against tough interior defenses (Utah and Oklahoma City). He has also averaged 38.5 minutes in his last two games.

Cheap with upside

Kelly Olynyk, Boston Celtics ($4,800) at NY: Olynyk has averaged 12 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.4 assists over the past five games, which puts him right around 20 fantasy points per game. But his offensive upside is big for someone at this price point, and that makes him a lottery ticket in tonight's short-slate where there will be many similar rosters.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Daily Fantasy Basketball: Between the lines for Feb. 4

The highest-scoring NBA games can be a great source of value for daily fantasy. Here, we’ll consider a few of the highest-scoring contests, highlighting must-own players, sneaky starts and guys to fade. In addition to the total, we’ll consider the spread and how it might affect the game’s stars or open up opportunities for bench players. To be successful in NBA DFS, you have to be attuned to talent, minutes, matchups and salaries. We’ll consider those attributes of key players from these high-scoring games. Let's go between the lines in the NBA tonight.

NOTE: Lines can change at a moment's notice based on the actual bets placed on each game. Therefore, while any lines or odds mentioned in this column were accurate at the time of writing, they may have moved slightly since then. Because we're using this information only as an aid in our daily ranking process and nothing else, any such discrepancies shouldn't matter to the reader.

Lines are provided by the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook, and are accurate as of Thursday at 11:30 a.m. ET.
Houston Rockets (-8) at Phoenix Suns
Point total: 213.5

These teams have not squared off previously this season., but it’s no surprise that this game sports the highest over/under of the night at 214 points. The Suns rank 27th in defensive rating over the past three weeks and the Rockets rank 26th. Both teams also rank in the top half of teams in pace over that stretch, with the Suns (14th) playing up in pace against the Rockets (7th).

The biggest difference between these teams is reflected in their offensive efficiency ratings. The Rockets rank 12th over the past three weeks, which isn’t anything to write home about, but it is far better than the Suns, who rank dead last over that stretch. In other words, there should be plenty of missed shots, which should create extra rebounding chances for both squads.

The Rockets are dealing with some issues of note in their frontcourt. Terrence Jones was involved in a car accident Wednesday, and though he apparently avoided any injuries, he will be held out of tonight’s tilt as a precaution. Clint Capela is listed as questionable due to a thigh issue. With Jones out and Capela iffy, Josh Smith ($4,800) should be in position to play 30-plus minutes tonight.

The Suns also have some issues, as Brandon Knight remains sidelined indefinitely and T.J. Warren just underwent season-ending surgery to repair a fractured foot. That means Archie Goodwin ($5,900) and Devin Booker ($6,000) will continue to dominate minutes in the backcourt and P.J. Tucker ($5,400) will own the small forward spot, while Mirza Teletovic ($4,000) and Sonny Weems ($3,000) could see some extra action.

Meanwhile, with the trade deadline nearing, the Suns are giving extra run and touches to both veterans Tucker and Markieff Morris ($5,700), who aren’t in their long-term plans.
Los Angeles Lakers at New Orleans Pelicans (-10.5)
Point total: 209.5

The Lakers earned a 95-91 victory at home on January 12, the only previous meeting between these teams this season. However, those lineups were quite different than they are now. Back then, the Pelicans played without Anthony Davis ($10,000) and still had Eric Gordon and Tyreke Evans in action. Unibrow will be on the hardwood tonight, but Gordon is out and Evans is highly unlikely to return from his nagging knee injury.

The Lakers had Larry Nance Jr. starting at power forward and Julius Randle ($6,700) coming off of the bench in mid-January. However, the Lakers won’t have Nance in action tonight, as he is sidelined through the All-Star break with a knee injury, so Randle will continue to start.

Also of note is that Kobe Bryant ($5,900) is questionable due to a sore shoulder. That may be the result of hoisting 21 shots and a dozen free throws on his way to 38 points against the Minnesota Timberwolves on Tuesday. Kobe averaged 24.7 minutes and 12.5 field goal attempts per game in January. If he sits, Anthony Brown ($3,100) likely would start, though Jordan Clarkson ($5,500) and D'Angelo Russell ($4,800) probably would be the biggest beneficiaries in the box score.

Neither the Lakers nor Pelicans runs a high-paced offense; over the past three weeks, the Lakers rank 21st in pace and the Pelicans rank 27th. However, as in the other game above, this tilt features two of the worst teams in defensive efficiency and there is a big difference between the Lakers and Pelicans in offensive efficiency. No team has been worse in defensive efficiency over the past three weeks than the Lakers, while the Pelicans rank 22nd. The gap in offensive efficiency couldn’t be much bigger. The Lakers rank 29th over that stretch and the Pelicans are fifth.

Looking at the battle on the glass, the Pelicans have been a middle-of-the pack 13th in rebounding rate in recent weeks, while the Lakers rank 25th. That is a big enough difference that you may think twice about using Randle. He has been dominating the glass lately, reeling in at least 11 boards in seven of his past nine games. The issue is that his contract has risen to $6,700. That means he isn’t a shoo-in value play; he will have to come through with a solid double-double to pay off, which may be tough in this matchup.

As for position-specific advantages you may be able to exploit or avoid, consider that over the past three weeks, the Pelicans have allowed the most DraftKings points to centers but the fifth-fewest to point guards. Unfortunately, the Lakers don’t have a center who can score on the Pelicans, so tossing in the rebounding disadvantage, there isn’t much to exploit there. You may want to keep expectations in check for Lakers point guards Louis Williams ($5,800) and Russell.

On the other side of the court, the Lakers have allowed the most DraftKings points to shooting guards and the second-most to power forwards over the past few weeks. Needless to say, that’s great news for Davis’ chances of paying off his huge contract. It also puts Bryce Dejean-Jones ($4,200) on the radar as a wild card at shooting guard.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
5-on-5: Predicting the biggest trades in the East

Which team will trade its way into title contention? And who will be the biggest name on the move? Our experts break down the most interesting storylines in the Eastern Conference heading into the NBA trade deadline.

1. Which Eastern Conference finals contender should make a deal at the deadline?

Chad Ford, ESPN Insider: The Toronto Raptors. They sit just two games behind the Cavs in the East and are a power forward away from really giving them a scare. The Raptors have a valuable 2016 lottery pick -- the lesser of the Nuggets' and Knicks' first-round picks -- to offer teams. If that can land them an upgrade over Luis Scola and Patrick Patterson, they need to bite.

Amin Elhassan, ESPN Insider: Miami. The Heat don't necessarily need to execute a blockbuster deal, but the loss of Tyler Johnson hurts on several levels. He was one of the best 3-point threats on the team, a very good on-ball defender and a versatile stalwart in second-unit lineups.

The Heat would do well to acquire a similar role player, especially as Johnson might be out for the remainder of the season and postseason, according to the Miami Herald.

Kevin Pelton, ESPN Insider: Boston Celtics. Third in the East, the Celtics are contenders and have plenty of draft picks to offer in exchange for another creator for a playoff run.

Finding a fit is tricky. Will Barton would be perfect if Boston were willing to buy high. Otherwise, the Celtics might have to weigh taking on a player like Lou Williams, whose long-term contract would limit their flexibility.

Tom Haberstroh, ESPN Insider: TheMiami Heat, though you can quibble about whether they qualify as a contender. They beat Charlotte last week with zero 3-pointers made, but that was a mirage. Having Goran Dragic and Dwyane Wade on the same team without a fleet of floor-spacers is like buying a Porsche and filling the gas tank with mud.

David Thorpe, ESPN Insider: "Should" is too strong a word, but Toronto has to think this season represents the best chance in franchise history to win the East. With a dearth of competition between them and the Cavs, who have their own issues to solve, the Raptors can only help their chances by improving at power forward or getting more scoring off the bench.

2. Which East playoff contender should make a trade?
Elhassan: Detroit. Despite being in the top third of the league in 3-point makes (and attempts), they're in the bottom third in 3-point percentage. It's no secret that Stan Van Gundy likes to play "four out" and spread the floor, which is why we've heard of Detroit's interest in New Orleans' Ryan Anderson.

A more available target might be Orlando's Channing Frye, who has the added benefit of a cap-friendly deal for the next two seasons.

Ford: The Celtics. They have the motivation and the assets, including the Nets' unprotected lottery pick, to net someone substantial.

But it's risky for both the Celtics and a potential trade partner. If that pick becomes Ben Simmons, Boston will wish it had been patient. And yet, right now that's only 15 percent likely, according to ESPN's Basketball Power Index (BPI) -- so how do you put a value on that when it's not clear who a team would take if Simmons isn't available?

Pelton: Miami Heat. I'd look to cash in on Hassan Whiteside's value before he hits free agency this summer. Because the Heat won't have full Bird rights, Whiteside's next contract would have to come out of their cap space.

I'd try to flip Whiteside for a center on a rookie contract who will count less against the cap next summer.

Haberstroh: Detroit Pistons. Markieff Morris is a borderline All-Star when he plays with his brother Marcus. The Pistons could use some help in the frontcourt as their bench has been one of the worst in the NBA. It's time to make Detroit the Morris City.

Thorpe: The Wizards. John Wall is too good to not get a return to the playoffs, where he dominated last season before getting hurt. Making a late run would add to the Kevin Durant drama, which is fun for us all. If they're lucky, they will get one more good deal out of Tommy Sheppard before the Wiz VP potentially moves north to transform the Nets.

3. Which likely lottery team in the East should look to sell?
Ford: The Bucks, although I would say "will" more than "should." Jason Kidd is unhappy with his team's performance and has the authority to make moves. In play are Michael Carter-Williams (acquired a year ago), Greg Monroe (signed in July) and Jabari Parker, who arrived via the 2014 draft and was immediately designated a franchise savior.

Pelton: Washington Wizards. The Wizards need to be realistic about their playoff chances, currently estimated at 6.5 percent by BPI. Washington should admit a playoff run probably isn't happening and look to move impending free agents such as Jared Dudley and Nene Hilario.

Haberstroh: Brooklyn. I'm surprised the fire sale hasn't happened already. Joe Johnson, Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young should all be on the table as the team tries to replenish their assets in the wake of the Billy King era. Even though they don't have a lottery pick this year (Boston owns it), the veterans should address some seeds for the future. Just don't expect much.

Thorpe: I'm not a believer in "selling" just because the season is going poorly. Teams can make quick jumps if they stay the course and make a key deal. But I think the Bucks will struggle to help John Henson reach his potential because of Jabari Parker's presence.

It would be great to see Henson go to Phoenix (with a couple of other small pieces) for Markieff Morris, who would give the Bucks more deep shooting with the potential to play alongside Parker. (As a bonus, Markieff would be closer to his twin Marcus.)

Elhassan: Brooklyn. The Nets are destined to have one of the worst records this season and might as well move some of their most "attractive" assets (and I use that word in the loosest of meanings) for draft picks. This situation doesn't get turned around without Brooklyn adding some cheap young talent.

4. Which big-name East player is most likely to be on the move?
Elhassan: Depends on what you mean by "big name." Does Brook Lopez count? He has a definable NBA talent and plays for a team that doesn't stand to benefit by holding onto him at this point. I'm not crazy about Lopez as a star talent given his shortcomings, but he can help a good team with his low-post scoring.

Thorpe: I don't know, but I have some candidates in mind.

Is Carmelo part of the solution in New York? Do the Wizards really want to sign Bradley Beal to a long-term deal given his injury issues? Does anyone in Miami think Hassan Whiteside can handle a max deal? Do the Bulls trade Derrick Rose while he is having some success on offense? And could the Nets gets something special for Brook Lopez?

Ford: Probably nobody. If Kevin Love is staying put in Cleveland, I don't think you'll see an star moved. The closest might be Jeff Teague, an All-Star in 2015 before tailing off this season. Atlanta could move him to Milwaukee, which signed him to the offer sheet in 2013 that became his current deal.

Pelton: Hassan Whiteside. Not saying this is even a 50-50 proposition, but Whiteside has never really fit the Miami culture or need for floor spacing, and re-signing him and Dwyane Wade this summer could be an either/or proposition. Those same issues limit the pool of suitors, but the Heat should be able to get something of value for Whiteside if they want.

Haberstroh: I mentioned the Nets' trio already, but you can throw Greg Monroe in the mix as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he moved to a contending team who needs a scoring punch off the bench like Enes Kanter. He's not exactly too old to be on the Milwaukee roster, but he doesn't make much sense on a team headed for 30 wins.

5. What is a trade would you like to see in the East?
Haberstroh: I've mentioned it before but Ryan Anderson for Luol Deng and Hassan Whiteside makes sense for both sides as the Heat need shooting and the Pelicans need a defensive anchor not named Omer Asik. I could also see the Celtics trading David Lee and a package of picks to the Nuggets for Danilo Gallinari.

Ford: Detroit's Stan Van Gundy wants to make a playoff splash, and a Pistons-Pelicans deal would make sense.

Ryan Anderson and Tyreke Evans for Stanley Johnson, Brandon Jennings and Ersan Ilyasova would give both teams what they need. Detroit would get upgrades at the 4 and the 3 (and an opportunity to re-sign Andersen), and the Pelicans get a 2015 lottery pick (Johnson), a salary dump (Evans) and two expiring contracts.

In the short run, the move would also boost the Pelicans' lottery odds from the current estimate of a 4 percent chance to add LSU star Ben Simmons next to Anthony Davis.

Elhassan: Can I say none? It could be a quiet deadline, if we don't have enough "sellers." And to buy, a team has to be willing to shake up its chemistry. It's nice to say Team X could get over the hump with a blockbuster deal, but it's easier said than done.

Pelton: Washington trades Jared Dudley to Indiana for Chase Budinger and a 2016 second-round pick. I'm not ready to give up on the idea of the Pacers playing smaller lineups just yet. C.J. Miles was, well, a stretch as a stretch-4; he's not even a particularly strong small forward. Dudley would give Indiana a better alternative at a relatively low cost.

Thorpe: I'd like Miami to find a way to be a serious contender. I love what Dwyane Wade and Bosh represent and what they accomplished alongside LeBron. To me, Miami versus Cleveland in the East Conference finals would be more compelling than a Warriors-Spurs battle in the West.

So how about a deal with Minnesota, sending Nikola Pekovic, Kevin Martin and Andre Miller to the Heat for Luol Deng, Chris Andersen and Beno Udrih. I think it makes sense for both sides.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Meet the top 10 players from the class of 2019

ESPN's top 25 player rankings for the Class of 2019 will be officially unveiled later this year, but it's not too early to provide a glimpse at some of the names who are already getting plenty of consideration from our scouts at the top of the rankings.

Led by Montverde Academy star R.J. Barrett, here's what the top-10 would look like if the rankings were announced today:

1. R.J. Barrett, SF, 6-5, 180, Montverde Academy/Missisauga (Ontario)

Barrett, the son of former St. John’s great Rowan Barrett (1992-96), is a lefty wing who is a terrific athlete, a good scorer and slasher, and a solid shooter to 19 feet. Reminds us of: A young, left-handed DeMar DeRozen.

2. Charles Bassey, PF/C, 6-9, 195, St. Anthony (NJ)/San Antonio, TX

Long, lanky and skilled, Bassey is a good player right now -- but also has phenomenal upside.

Reminds us of: Bassey evokes Kevin Garnett at the same stage of his development.

3. Trendon Watford, SF/PF, 6-7, 185, Mountain Brook/Mountain Brook, AL

Watford, the brother of ex-Indiana standout Christian Watford (2009-13), is a very versatile and skilled combo forward.

Reminds us of: Watford's game reminds you of a younger Carmelo Anthony.

4. Cassius Stanley, SG, 6-4, 180, Harvard Westlake/North Hollywood, CA

Stanley is a super-athletic wing who has improving skill. At this stage he's a slashing scorer, and his jump shot is developing.

Reminds us of: Stanley's game is reminiscent of a young Dwyane Wade.

5. Chandler Lawson, PF/SF, 6-7, 195, East/Memphis, TN

Lawson, whose brothers Dedric Lawson and K.J. Lawson are both at Memphis (where their father Keelon is an assistant) is walking upside. He is all arms and elbows right now, but with continued development he could easily be the best of the Lawson bunch.

Reminds us of: The youngest Lawson reminds you of a young, right-handed Thaddeus Young.

6. D.J. Jeffries, SF/PF, 6-6, 185, Olive Branch/Olive Branch, MS

Another versatile and skilled combo forward, Jeffries is best suited to playing the 3, where he can score from the perimeter and attack the basket.

Reminds us of: Reminiscent of a developing Joe Johnson.

7. Onyeka Okongwu, C/PF, 6-9, 200, Chino Hills/Chino Hills, CA

Okongwu, who plays on the same Chino Hills team as UCLA-bound Lonzo Ball and his talented brothers, is a big time insider/rebounder. He is the paint presence for a Chino Hills squad that likes to get up and down the floor.

Reminds us of: Okongwu reminds you of a young Nerlens Noel.

8. Cole Anthony, PG/SG, 6-1, 170, Archbishop Malloy/Briarwood, NY

Anthony, the son of former UNLV star and NBA point guard Greg Anthony, is making his own name for himself on the floor. Anthony is best described as a scoring point guard.

Reminds us of: More so than his famous father, Anthony is reminiscent of Kyrie Irving at the same stage.

9. Balsa Koprivica, C, 6-10, 215, University School of Nova Southeastern University/Davie, FL

Koprivica, a native of Serbia, is very skilled for a player at such a young age. He's already a low-post machine.

Reminds us of: Koprivica's Euro-style game evokes a young Pau Gasol.

10. Chol Marial, C, 7-1, 210, Cheshire Academy/Cheshire, CT

Marial is obviously very tall, especially for a 9th-grader. But what makes him special is the fact that he can really run. Marial blocks shots and can score on the block.

Reminds us of: Marial reminds you of a young Manute Bol, but moves better than Bol did and doesn’t shoot three-pointers, at least at this point!