Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
my bad

it still works for me though? can you google:

Updated Top 25 AAU rankings: Georgia Stars ascend to No. 1

Updated Top 25 AAU rankings: Georgia Stars ascend to No. 1
The July recruiting period is now over, which means the four-month sprint from late March until late July that constitutes "grassroots season" is also complete. Most of the talking points coming out of the month focus on which players boosted their stock or will rise in the rankings, but it’s also a great time to take final inventory of the best AAU teams in the country. Before the first live period began three weeks ago, we ranked the top 25, based about 50 percent on pure talent and 50 percent on spring results. With three more weeks of results in the books, and no more AAU games to be played for another eight months, it’s time to focus mostly on results. "Potential" is no longer a factor when assessing teams -- July was 'put up or shut up' time. 1. Georgia Stars (Nike)

Previous Rank: 3

It took about 10 minutes in early April to figure out the Stars had the most dominant personnel group on the circuit. July solidified that. They steamrolled their way to the Nike Peach Jam championship, then followed it up with a Las Vegas Classic championship.

2. St. Louis Eagles (Nike)

Previous Rank: 6

A blowout loss in the Peach Jam title game is essentially the only blemish on a terrific July performance for the Eagles. They were runners-up at Peach Jam, and then won the Jayhawk Summer Finale during the third period.

3. CP3 (Nike)

Previous Rank: 1
The Harry Giles-led group fall from the top spot after a buzzer-beating loss in the Peach Jam semifinals to the St. Louis Eagles. I’m not sure anyone was beating the Georgia Stars this month, but Giles and Alterique Gilbert might have given them a run.

4. Team Loaded VA (Adidas)

Previous Rank: 10

The Adidas Uprising events were highly competitive at the top, but Loaded VA solidified its case as the best Adidas team with a title at the Adidas Uprising Summer Championships. Late addition Sacha Killeya-Jones earned MVP honors.

5. Team Loaded NC (Adidas)

Previous Rank: 2

They had arguably the best inside-outside tandem on the circuit in Dennis Smith Jr. and Edrice "Bam" Adebayo, but it didn't result in any titles. They lost in the quarterfinals of the Adidas Gauntlet Finale and the semis of the Summer Championships.

6. Canada Elite (Under Armour)

Previous Rank: 12

It’s tough to find the clear-cut best team on the UA circuit, but a dominant month from Thon Maker and a title-game appearance in the UA Finals tournament gives Canada Elite the edge. Maker was flat-out unstoppable all month.

7. NY Rens (Adidas)

Previous Rank: 14
Rawle Alkins led this group to a championship at the Adidas Gauntlet Finale, but with Alkins out for the third period, they had to settle for a Round of 16 appearance in the Summer Championships. With Alkins, this team was tough to beat.

8. PSA Cardinals (Nike)

Previous Rank: 13

This is another team that was highly impressive when fully healthy. They went 5-0 in pool play at the Nike Peach Jam before falling in the quarterfinals of bracket play. A healthy Omari Spellman could have pushed this team to the next level.

9. King James (Nike)

Previous Rank: 15

Like we said, results count the most. There are no five-star players on the roster, but they went 4-1 in Peach Jam pool play and got knocked out in the quarterfinals. They finished off with a championship at the AAU Super Showcase.

10. MWA (Under Armour)

Previous Rank: 8

A couple more wins along the way, and they might be a couple spots higher. MWA lost in the semifinals of the UA Finals as well as the Fab 48 -- but beat Pro Skills and Each 1 Teach 1 along the way. Billy Preston emerged as a truly elite prospect.

11. Atlanta Celtics (Adidas)

Previous Rank: 4

One of the most talented teams on the circuit, the Celtics never put it together to get a championship. They lost in the finals of the Adidas Gauntlet Finale and then fell in the quarterfinals of the Summer Championships.

12. WeR1 (Under Armour)

Previous Rank: 5

Keep an eye on them as a potential preseason No. 1 next year, as they have an unbelievable 2017 backcourt in Trevon Duval and Quade Green. This time around they lost in the UA Finals quarterfinals and the Fab 48 semifinals.

13. Each 1 Teach 1 (Nike)

Previous Rank: 7

The performance at Peach Jam looks just fine -- 4-1 in pool play and a quarterfinal appearance -- but they were also run out of the gym by the PSA Cardinals. With a depleted group in Las Vegas, it’s hard to take their Fab 48 performance into account.

14. Houston Hoops (Nike)

Previous Rank: 9

A healthy Jarred Vanderbilt could have pushed Hoops further in Peach Jam bracket play, but they went 3-2 in pool play and reached the quarterfinals. Most notably, De'Aaron Fox stated his case loud and clear as the best point guard in the 2016 class.

15. Team Takeover (Nike)

Previous Rank: 20

We said at the beginning of the month that it’s impossible to count out a Keith Stevens-coached team -- and they went 4-1 in pool play at the Nike Peach Jam and reached the semifinals before bowing out. A balanced roster, for the most part.

16. Arkansas Wings (Nike)

Previous Rank: 11
Malik Monk had a collection of high-level performances, but the Wings failed to reach bracket play at the Nike Peach Jam, and also lost to Team Takeover. However, they bounced back with a title at The 8 in Las Vegas.

17. Team Charlotte (Under Armour)

Previous Rank: Unranked

We said we’re heavily weighing results in this version, so we can no longer keep Team Charlotte out -- they went out and won the UA Finals and their bracket at the Phenom Hoops Summer Havoc. This came after a 9-3 record on the UA spring circuit.

18. Indiana Elite (Adidas)

Previous Rank: 17

The summer additions of Quentin Goodin and Nick Rakocevic gave them a small boost, making a run to the Adidas Gauntlet Finale semifinals and the round of 16 in the Summer Championships. Virginia commit Kyle Guy was a major talking point all month.

19. MoKan Elite (Nike)

Previous Rank: 18

This is another team that will be higher next year thanks to the duo of Michael Porter Jr. and Trae Young -- both five-stars in 2017. They went just 2-3 in their Peach Jam pool, but won the KC Hardwood Classic to finish off the third period.

20. The Family (Nike)

Previous Rank: 25
Miles Bridges performing the way he did at the Peach Jam earns The Family a boost in the rankings. They beat Las Vegas Prospects and Pro Skills, and went 2-2 in their pool. Side note: Bridges switched to Mac Irvin Fire for Las Vegas events, and led them to second-place finishes at The 8 and Las Vegas Classic.

21. 1 Nation (Under Armour)

Any time you have Josh Jackson, you have a chance to make statements. They lost to Canada Elite early at the UA Finals, but won the Fab 48 after beating MWA, WeR1, BABC and the NJ Playaz. Jackson was good enough to carry them for stretches.

22. Las Vegas Prospects (Nike)

Previous Rank: 19

Keep an eye on them next season, with three five-star 2017 prospects on the perimeter. They went just 2-3 at the Peach Jam, but all three losses came against top-20 teams. They reached the quarterfinals of the Las Vegas Classic.

23. Pro Skills (Nike)

Marques Bolden was battling an injury for most of Peach Jam, but they still beat Houston Hoops despite going just 2-3 in pool play. They went 3-0 during Fab 48 pool play before making a run to the quarterfinals of the bracket.

24. Mass Rivals (Adidas)

They would have been a few spots higher if not for blowing a second-half lead in the title game of the Adidas Uprising Summer Championships. Their improvement over the month was noticeable, and Wenyen Gabriel boosted his stock as much as anyone.

25. Texas Pro (Adidas)

They carried over the momentum of a 5-0 performance in the second April period into this month, where they rattled off wins against Team Loaded NC, NY Rens, Utah Prospects, MBA Hoops and others en route to a quarterfinal appearance in the Summer Championships.

Others considered: DC Blue Devils (Under Armour), Big Ballers XVT (Adidas), Utah Prospects (Adidas), New England Playaz (Adidas), Team Breakdown (Under Armour), BABC (Nike), Team Final (Nike), Compton Magic (Adidas), NJ Playaz (Nike), MBA Hoops (Adidas)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Scout's Take: Maverick Rowan reclassifies, commits to NC State

NC State landed a late pledge from ESPN 100 shooting guard Maverick Rowan, who announced he would be reclassifying to the Class of 2015 and joining the Wolfpack for the coming season.

Why he committed: Rowan cited his relationship with the coaches and potential to be utilized the same way as T.J. Warren and Trevor Lacey were in the past. But the bottom line is he wasn’t going to leave the high school ranks a year early unless there was an immediate and significant opportunity in front of him, and that’s exactly what NC State and coach Mark Gottfried had to offer. The Wolfpack very much needed another perimeter scorer to add to their lineup this season, so Rowan should have every opportunity to make his presence felt from day one.

What he brings: Rowan is a big wing and skilled scorer. His primary weapon is his ability to shoot the basketball, but he’s more than just a spot-up shooter from beyond the arc. He’s very adept at reading and running his man off screens and is probably just as dangerous in the midrange area as he is from long range. He has a special ability to make tough pull-ups and can square his shoulders even on his way up into his release. He’ll utilize his size to score over smaller defenders, not just off the dribble but also curling screens and sometimes even by taking smaller defenders to the block. Rowan has some sneaky bounce and won’t hesitate to challenge people at the rim, but he needs to continue to work on his overall foot speed and lateral quickness.

How he fits: His ability to play off screens and generate his own offense is going to make him one of NC State’s top perimeter scoring threats, and the type of player Gottfried will be able to draw plays up for right away. Rowan will undoubtedly play significant minutes and most likely have a chance to compete for a starting spot from day one as well. His addition to the backcourt rotation, regardless of whether he starts or comes off the bench, will be a welcome one as it will help the Wolfpack address not just their need for perimeter scoring, but also overall depth. That group will also have good collective size and plenty of talent as Rowan joins Anthony Barber, Caleb and Cody Martin, andTerry Henderson.

How the class is shaping up: Rowan joins Shaun Kirk, a versatile 6-foot-7 forward, as the second member of Gottfried’s 2015 recruiting class. With both Lacey and Kyle Washington (who transferred to Cincinnati) leaving early, at one point it looked like NC State might only carry eight active scholarship players on this season's roster, so Rowan provides just the late boost of talent the Wolfpack had been desperately looking for in recent months.

Who he reminds us of: We'll call him Klay Thompson "lite" since it probably wouldn't be fair to compare a guy who would otherwise be preparing for his senior year of high school to one of the best shooters on the planet, but there are some similarities between the two. Like Thompson, Rowan is a big-scoring shot-maker who has a special ability to make tough shots from various spots on the floor, a similarly high and compact release, and even a comparable floor game.

Anthony Cowan helps Maryland see post-Melo future

CHARLOTTE -- When it comes to discussing the preseason No. 1 ranking for the upcoming college basketball season, Maryland is among the first teams mentioned. Head coach Mark Turgeon has all the pieces needed to make a run at a national title.

But with two seniors -- Rasheed Sulaimon and Jake Layman -- expected to be in the starting lineup, along with All-American point guard Melo Trimble getting looks from the NBA, there are some holes to fill in order to continue the potential success in two seasons.

Anthony Cowan Jr. is doing his best to minimize the concerns at the point guard spot. The four-star prospect pledged to Maryland back in January, and Trimble’s rise over the course of the season has made Cowan even more of a necessity for the Terrapins.

“They said Turgeon loves a team with guards,” Cowan said at the Under Armour All-American Camp last week. “And with Melo maybe leaving to go to the draft, that just gets me in the perfect place to take his spot and be able to continue the winning tradition.”

Cowan was one of the most impressive prospects at the camp, putting up monster numbers all week. He finished fourth in scoring (20.0 ppg), second in assists (7.2 apg) and second in steals (3.2 spg).
In one particularly outstanding outing, Cowan went for 30 points, nine rebounds, 10 assists and four steals -- while also getting to the free-throw line 23 times.

“Obviously I’m coming here to make a name for myself,” he said. “I can’t really think about the rankings and stuff too much. I try not to look at them too much, but I always try to find something to push me a little harder.”

The St. John’s College High School (D.C.) product won’t need much motivation once he arrives in College Park, as he could be expected to take the reins of the Maryland offense right away. Trimble obviously set the bar very high for freshman point guards at Maryland, but Cowan is looking forward to his time with the Terrapins.

“I just loved the atmosphere up there,” he said. “I have a good relationship with the coaches and some of the players. It was the right fit for me. Coach Turgeon made me feel comfortable when I was on campus. And it’s obviously just 15 minutes away from my house.”

With Sulaimon and Layman departing, though, Cowan wants to make sure he has as much talent as possible surrounding him. Robert Carter and incoming freshman Diamond Stone will form a dominant inside duo -- if Stone returns for his sophomore season -- while Dion Wiley and Jared Nickens will return on the wings. But Maryland is aiming high in the 2016 class, with elite prospect Josh Jackson (No. 3 in the ESPN 100) and five-star scorer Markelle Fultz(No. 21) atop the wish list.

Both Jackson and Fultz were at the Under Armour camp last week.

Said Cowan: “I’m definitely over here recruiting.”

Udoka Azubuike making name as rim protector -- and rim destroyer

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. -- Running any event involving Udoka Azubuike has to be a nerve-wracking ordeal. Not because the five-star 2016 prospect causes drama -- but because every time Azubuike gets the ball near the basket, there’s a chance he tears down the rim.

It’s not just an idle threat; Azubuike already broke a rim during the high school season.

“I pulled down the rim one time,” Azubuike told ESPN.com last week at the Nike EYBL Finals at the Peach Jam. “I didn’t break the glass, but I broke the rim. The rim broke off. It was fun, it was wild. Everyone was like, ‘Wooow.’”

He doesn’t shy away from it, either. When asked if he wants to tear down another rim during a game, Azubuike was enthusiastic: “Yeah, definitely!”

At 6-foot-10 and 280 pounds, Azubuike is an absolute load for opponents to defend in the low post. Nothing about his game is finesse; Azubuike is power, power, power.

“It’s something from inside,” he said. “Each time I get the ball, I feel like, ‘Just go over there and just dominate. Go over there and dunk it.’”

As a result, it might surprise some to know that Azubuike was only 185 pounds when he came to the United States from Nigeria three-and-a-half years ago. Back home, Azubuike had really only played soccer growing up. It’s tough to imagine present-day Azubuike kicking around a soccer ball, but there just wasn’t much basketball to be played.

Azubuike was brought to the United States through The Potter’s House International Ministries in Jacksonville, Florida, where Harry Coxsome is a pastor. The church was bringing kids over from Nigeria, and Coxsome and his wife were asked if they wanted to be host parents.

They never expected they'd be hosting a potential NBA player.

“He was very shy when we first got him,” said Coxsome, Azubuike's host parent and guardian. “We’ve watched him over the years, he’s very mature for his age. The guys that brought him over saw he was 6-foot-9, and they thought he had a chance. He was very raw. It took a while, but after his first year here, we saw he had a lot of talent. He’s very eager, wanting to learn.”

Despite not really understanding the game of basketball until coming to the United States, it was impossible to keep Azubuike a secret for long once he started playing on American soil. He showed flashes at a Basketball Without Borders camp in Nigeria but really took off during his sophomore year at Potter’s House. Azubuike also played in the international game of the Jordan Brand Classic in 2014, finishing with 10 points, nine rebounds and three blocks.

The power game that first brought him attention isn’t going anywhere, although he’s looking to add wrinkles to his face-up game. Don’t expect Azubuike to suddenly become the next Dirk Nowitzki, though.

“Some big men like shooting jumpers and fancy stuff, I just like doing the basic stuff that big men do,” Azubuike said. “That’s my game. That’s the kind of game I like to play.”

Since becoming a national name, there have been some questions about Azubuike’s “real” age. The combination of his size and strength, in addition to the fact he only came to the United States a few years ago, has raised eyebrows.

Coxsome said Azubuike is 15 years old and will turn 16 in September.

“We would go to the basketball games, and I would see people in the stands with signs: ‘This is a grown man, there’s no way he can be 15,’” Coxsome said. “It bothered us at first, and we told him to basically ignore it, because I know it bothered him also. We dealt with it, and we know his age, so we moved on.”

Concerns about his age have impacted neither his development nor his recruitment a great deal. Azubuike is ranked No. 19 in the ESPN 100 for the 2016 class, the third-best center in the country. He’s coming off a championship at the Nike Peach Jam, where he capped off an impressive spring and summer that saw him average 13.1 points, 7.6 rebounds and 2.0 blocks on the Nike EYBL circuit. Azubuike also shot 66 percent from the floor.

Azubuike listed Florida State, Kansas, North Carolina, UConn and Florida, while also mentioning he spoke to Duke last month.

“We’re going to sit down and see what we have and then make a decision some time during his senior year,” Coxsome said.

Any of those schools would obviously love to get their hands on Azubuike.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
J.J. Watt deserves No. 1 player ranking

So #NFLRANK has broken cover and Aaron Rodgers was edged out for the top spot by J.J. Watt.

Rodgers is the best quarterback in the game and given the way the modern NFL is, by definition also it's most valuable player, but does that necessarily mean he is also the best player period?

Hard as it is to believe, Watt may still be underrated by the vast majority of people out there who don't quite grasp just how good he is. We are way past the point of calling Watt merely a great player and we are now into the realm of generationally great, and possibly greatest of all time. We are often too quick to leap to those designations for players, but Watt belongs with them. By the time he hangs them up he may go down in history as the greatest defensive player to play the game.

Those are the kind of terms we need to start appreciating Watt in, rather than just accepting that he is definitely elite.

Any discussion of Watt needs to focus on just how much better and more dominant he is than comparable players. He stands clear of his peers in a way that Rodgers does not.

Rodgers may lead the league in categories or PFF grading, but he doesn't put up numbers that make it look like he is playing a different game to other players. During last season I wrote a story that attempted to put Watt's dominance into quarterback terms. His dominance on the defensive line is the equivalent of a 7,100-yard, 70-touchdown passing season, or a 2,800-yard rushing season.

Comparing Watt to the rest of the field at his position is like looking at the difference between Aaron Rodgers and Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Alex Smith. The gulf between them is colossal.

As just the latest example of numbers that come up and make you do a double-take when it comes to Watt, PFF noted that Gerald McCoy has led all defensive tackles with 125 total pressures (sacks, hits and hurries) over the past two seasons. Watt had 119 just last season, and McCoy is really good.

Watt more than doubled the second best figure at his position for total pressures last season, and that is more or less a trend across the board. His PFF grade was more than double that of Sheldon Richardson in second. He had double the number of batted passes of the next best player, more than double the sacks, and more than three times the next best pass-rushing grade.

He holds the best three seasons that PFF has graded for 3-4 defensive ends with an average grade of +100.5. Justin Smith was the best 3-4 end in the league before Watt arrived and he averaged just +36.4 over the three-year span in which he led the league in grade.

Typically, edge rushers generate pressure at a much greater rate than interior defenders. They have further to travel to get to the quarterback but they have more space to work with and they're less likely to be right in the quarterback's field of vision. Edge rushers generate pressure on average on 11.5 percent of their pass rushing snaps in the NFL, while interior defenders get pressure on just 7.5 percent of theirs. Watt generated pressure on 18.8 percent of his pass-rushing snaps in 2014, which wasn't just way better than the average, but was better than every edge rusher in the NFL other than Justin Houston (19.1 percent).

Ndamukong Suh led all defensive tackles in total pressures last season with 57 (only 61 fewer than Watt), and he generated pressure on just 10.9 percent of his pass rushing snaps. Gerald McCoy was at 11.8 percent, Calais Campbell at 9.3 percent. Watt is in a different stratosphere than these guys, and is redefining what we thought was possible for a player at his position.

Only 10 men have ever notched 20 sacks or more in a single season, and Watt has done it twice in his first four years in the league. He already has 57 career sacks, which is as many as LaMarr Woodley and half a sack less than Richard Seymour or Ed 'Too Tall" Jones managed in their entire careers. If he notches another 20-sack season he would finish the year with more than Jevon Kearse, Mark Gastineau (who has a 20-sack season to his name) and James Harrison.

Bruce Smith is the NFL's all-time sack leader with 200, but it took him 18 seasons to get there. At 18 seasons of Watt's current pace (which included his 5-sack rookie season) he would finish with 256.5 sacks. If he plays for 15 years (the same as Reggie White) he would have 214 sacks, and if anything sacks to date have been underselling his impact as a pass-rusher.

Rodgers ended last season atop PFF's grading for quarterbacks with a score of +40.4. Drew Brees was second with a +32.6 (81 percent of Rodgers' score). As good as Rodgers was, PFF graded Peyton Manning's 2013 better. Rodgers threw 38 touchdowns (third) had a passer rating of 112.2 (second), gained 8.4 yards per attempt (second), threw an interception on just 1.0 percent of his pass attempts (first) and completed 65.6 percent of his passes (10th). All of this adds up to the best quarterback in the NFL when you throw in the great intangible, immeasurable things, but it's not the same magnitude of dominance over the field that Watt has.

You could make a pretty good argument that Brees is as good, or Peyton Manning, even Ben Roethlisberger. Even if they're not quite there, it's a valid debate. There is nobody you can even hold up to Watt and discuss whether they are as good, nobody even in the conversation.

Rodgers is the best quarterback in football, and he may end up going down as an all-time great. J.J. Watt is something else entirely. He is a generationally great player, and is already one of the best to ever play the game. The only question is how long his career will be and how high up the record charts he will climb.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 History shows not to expect more than one title from LeBron in Cleveland

The panel has spoken. Fret not, Cavaliers fans. We think LeBron James will finally bring a championship to Cleveland. But don't expect much more than that.

In an ESPN Summer Forecast survey of 32 NBA experts that asked how many titles James will win in Cleveland, the most common vote was one (44 percent). The next most popular estimate was two titles (34 percent) followed by three (19 percent). There was one lone vote for zero titles. (No, Pat Riley was not on the panel.)

Worth noting: The question to the panel was not phrased with the assumption that he'd stay in Cleveland the rest of his career. It could be that those voters who do not envision multiple titles in Cleveland are leaving the door open that James could switch teams.

But let's assume for this breakdown that James will indeed unpack his bags for good and stay in Cleveland. If we tally up all the responses, it turns out that we're expecting James to win 1.7 titles as a Cav, just shy of his two championships in Miami.

So, is just one title a pessimistic outlook for James? For someone as good as the King, how many more titles can we reasonably expect now that he's 30 years old? Let's look at what Michael Jordan, Oscar Robertson and the rest of his statistical peers accomplished in their 30s to see if we're being hard on James' outlook.

What history says
The clock is ticking for James. In his age-30 season, he came within two victories of winning the Cavs' first championship in the team's 45-year history. But our forecast sees him getting over the hump and pulling down at least another title.

James is endlessly compared to the greats. Is this a bearish outlook compared to them? To help answer that question, I pulled up the top 10 in win shares through their age-30 season, according to Basketball-Reference.com. James leads the pack with 178.9 cumulative win shares, followed by some names you might know. To create a baseline expectation, I dug up how many titles each player won after his age-30 season. (I emphasize "after" age-30 season because Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan both won titles during their age-30 season, but those were not counted here so that we're comparing apples to apples.)

What did we learn? Let's take a look:

Superstar championships after age 30
Player Titles Win shares
LeBron James ? 178.9
Wilt Chamberlain 1 163.2
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 5 161.6
Michael Jordan 3 147.6
Oscar Robertson 1 142.8
Kevin Garnett 1 138.4
Dirk Nowitzki 1 137.9
Magic Johnson 0 136.8
Kobe Bryant 1 136.5
Shaquille O'Neal 1 135.5
Tim Duncan 1 130.3
Average 1.5

The panel looks to be spot-on. Eight of the 10 all-timers did not win multiple titles after James' age. Magic Johnson, who never won it all after his 1988 championship, is a bit of an outlier; he left the game when he was 32 years old after he was diagnosed as having HIV. On the other end of the spectrum, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar grabbed five of his six career championships after he turned 30, which is a stunning figure. It helps to play into your 40s. Keeping doing that yoga, LeBron.

It might surprise folks that even the best players of all time didn't win multiple titles late in their career. Jordan, of course, did. So naturally, every player who doesn't live up to that expectation has failed miserably and should just quit now out of shame . . .

The greats averaged 1.5 titles after turning 30, which makes the panel's expectation of 1.7 for James a tad more bullish than the historical baseline. If James wins just one title in Cleveland the rest of the way, he'll be as successful as Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki and Shaquille O'Neal as they left their primes. If James wins two, he'd outperform the norm.

The mileage factor
Comparing James to those greats seems foolish. He is a freakish physical specimen like we've never seen in NBA history. He's as durable as they come, having never missed more than 15 games in any season.

But as the saying goes, Father Time is undefeated. Sports scientists around the world agreed James looked exhausted in the Finals last season, firing up missed jumper after missed jumper while handling the ball practically at all times. Durability also means miles. And all those miles could be catching up.

Including the playoffs, James has played 43,330 minutes through age 30, which is about 2,000 more minutes than the next-highest all-time figure. In other words, James has broken the record and played an additional season on top of that.

Most minutes through age-30 season
Player Total Regular season Postseason
LeBron James 43,330 35,769 7,561
Kobe Bryant 41,419 34,531 6,888
Kevin Garnett 37,538 35,535 2,003
Magic Johnson 35,934 29,354 6,580
Isiah Thomas 35,060 30,844 4,216
Tony Parker 34,975 28,688 6,287
Dirk Nowitzki 34,760 30,692 4,068
Tim Duncan 33,503 27,966 5,537
Shaquille O'Neal 33,494 28,029 5,465
Chris Bosh 33,289 30,158 3,131

As crazy as it sounds, James has already played more career minutes than Larry Bird, Steve Nash and Magic Johnson. Yes, more than A.C. Green, who played 15 straight seasons without missing a game. James has already racked up more miles than the guy they called "Iron Man."
Two names you won't find on the above list: Abdul-Jabbar and Jordan -- the guys who won multiple titles in their 30s. Playing in college kept their minutes totals lower than the preps-to-pros guys like James, Bryant and Garnett. In fact, James has played 13,000 minutes more than Jordan did at age 30. And even if we include college minutes, their seasons are half as long as the NBA's grind anyway. Looking at it this way, it's possible that Abdul-Jabbar and Jordan were more fresh during their title windows.

James will start to show signs of breaking down soon if he hasn't already. James' productivity declined by 12 percent last season, according to player efficiency rating (PER), and 25 percent if we use win shares per minute as a barometer. That puts the onus on Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love to shoulder the load as they enter their primes while James leaves his behind.

If we use history as a guide, we should expect at least one more title in James' future. That would make Cleveland's title drought history.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Five mid-majors to watch this season

Everyone wants to know which teams will have a chance to knock off the big boys come March.

Who will be Cinderella?

We'll give you a handful of teams to keep an eye in 2015-16, which will likely hail from one-bid leagues. We're not counting Evansville out of the Missouri Valley or UAB from Conference USA.

So here are five "true" mid-majors to watch:

i

1. Hofstra Pride
Two years ago, Joe Mihalich won just 10 games in his first season after coming from Niagara. Now he'll have the Pride as the overwhelming favorite to win the CAA, largely because of Juan'ya Green and Ameen Tanksley, who followed him from Niagara. Green, a tremendous passer who also averaged 17.1 PPG, will likely be the conference preseason player of the year. "We've got a star," Mihalich said of Green. "And everyone on the team is OK with it." Tanksley (16.2 PPG, 5.5 RPG) is a tough, versatile wing and a fifth-year senior. Starter Brian Bernardi (11.6 PPG) is also back, and Mihalich has replacements for Dion Nesmith and big man Moussa Kone in fifth-year Princeton grad transfer Denton Koon and skilled 6-foot-10 forward and Clemson transfer Ibrahim Djambo. That means Milhalich can throw out a lineup of Green, Tanksley, Bernardi, Koon and Djambo, who enter the season with a combined 19 years in college.

i

2. Valparaiso Crusaders
When Horizon League defensive player of the year Vashil Fernandez was granted another year by the NCAA over the summer, it meant coach Bryce Drew and the Crusaders returned everyone except for seldom-used reserve David Chadwick (2.3 PPG) from a team that won a school-record 28 games and went to the NCAA tournament last season. Alec Peters (16.8 PPG, 6.7 RPG, 47 percent success rate on 3-pointers) is the Crusaders star, but he has plenty of help from a supporting cast that includes seniors Darien Walker, Keith Carter, Fernandez and E. Victor Nickerson, as well as junior Tevonn Walker. Drew took his team to Canada and raved about the play of LSU transfer Shane Hammink, who is the team's most athletic player. "I'm not sure if he'll start or not, but he'll play -- a lot," Drew said.

i

3. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
Brad Underwood and the Lumberjacks have been to the NCAA tournament each of the past two seasons and have a 61-8 record in that span. Sure, the loss of Jacob Parker will hurt, but Underwood returns seven of his top nine players, including versatile standout Thomas Walkup and emerging sophomore star Ty Charles. Two-year starting point guard Trey Pinkney also returns, and Underwood is banking on Pinkney's fellow senior Clide Geffrard (8.5 PPG) making a jump and moving into the starting lineup. "We have unbelievable leadership, and we have the option to play big this year, something we haven't had the last two years." Underwood is hoping to get quality minutes this season from either 6-foot-9, 250-pound junior college product JaQuan Smith or 7-foot Serbian freshman Jovan Grujic.

i

4. Central Michigan Chippewas
Few (if any) oberservers figured on the Chippewas being in this position entering Keno Davis' fourth season. But the former Providence head coach won 23 games last season and returns five players who each started every single game a year ago, including potential MAC player of the year Chris Fowler. "He's a pro," Davis said of his senior floor leader. "He broke our all-time assist mark last year and also led us in scoring. Chris just makes everyone better." Central Michigan has experience with five seniors (three will start) and no shortage of shooters (the Chippewas shot 37 percent from the 3-point line last season). Davis employs a three-point guard offense (Fowler, Braylon Rayson andRayshawn Simmons), but the key to the team could be the development of 6-foot-11 sophomore Luke Meyer.

i

5. Weber State Wildcats
Yes, this team went 13-17 last season and was 8-10 in the Big Sky. But Randy Rahe's track record is impressive, with seven postseason appearances in nine years at Weber. Rahe has four starters back, including a potential NBA guy in Kenneth Faried-type Joel Bolomboy (13.3 PPG, 10.2 RPG) and junior guard Jeremy Senglin (16.4 PPG). Rahe is excited about a handful of new faces, and is hopeful that 6-foot-9, 250-pound redshirt freshman big man Zach Braxtoncan make an impact and team with Bolomboy to form a potent inside duo. "We've got a nice balance of veterans and young guys, we're much deeper, we shoot it better and our skill level has improved," Rahe said.

Five more to watch: Belmont, Chattanooga, South Dakota State, UC Irvine, Louisiana-Lafayette

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Scout's Take: ESPN 100 C Tony Bradley commits to North Carolina

ESPN 100 center Tony Bradley ended his recruitment Wednesday night when he committed to Roy Williams and North Carolina, choosing the Tar Heels over Miami, Alabama, Vanderbilt, Florida State, Kansas, NC State and Florida. Here’s a look at what type of player is headed to Chapel Hill.

Why he committed:
"I am very comfortable with the coaching staff, players and style of play," Bradley said. "Everything just fit."

What he brings: The five-star center is a wide-bodied, back-to-the-basket scoring threat. Bradley has great size at 6-foot-10 and 230 pounds. He has excellent hands, touch and foot work. He can score over both shoulders and is a very good area rebounder and low post position defender.

How he fits: Bradley, the No. 26 player in the Class of 2016, will provide Williams and UNC with a go-to guy in the low post, one that can score in their four-out, one-in and box set plays. Bradley has the potential to command a double-team and will be an excellent area rebounder on both ends of the floor. Williams loves to throw the ball inside, and Bradley will be a great option to establish the Tar Heels' low post scoring when they are in the halfcourt.

Who he reminds us of: Bradley immediately brings to mind former North Carolina post Sean May, but he might be further along offensively at this stage than was May. Both are wide-body true centers with hands, touch, feel and footwork in the low post that pose a scoring threat over both shoulders, and the ability to finish through contact.

How the class is shaping up: Bradley is the first commitment in the Class of 2016, and having a five-star center in the fold gets the Tar Heels off to a tremendous start.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
NFL 25 Under 25 Rankings: Khalil Mack is No. 1

The value of elite young talent has perhaps never been greater in the NFL. With the rookie wage scale, savvy teams can draft top-tier production for bargain prices and build the core of a perennial Super Bowl contender (see: Seattle Seahawks).

The list below assesses the top 25 players under age 25. After two consecutive years on top, Andrew Luck no longer qualified (must be 24 or younger by Week 1 of the 2015 NFL season). But growing older does come with its perks: The Colts QB is in line for a significant pay raise in the not-too-distant future.

Without further delay, our top 25 under 25.

i

1. Khalil Mack, OLB, Oakland Raiders
Jack Del Rio's move from Denver to Oakland naturally has generated talk about Mack becoming a Von Miller-type playmaker. Mack actually edged Miller for the top spot in Pro Football Focus' grading for 4-3 outside linebackers last season, largely due to his strength in defending the run. Mack's sack total should rise from four last season: He had 40 hurries, according to PFF's charting -- seven fewer than Miller had and more than triple the total of any other 4-3 outside linebacker.

i

2. Tyron Smith, LT, Dallas Cowboys
Every aspect of the position appears to be a strength for Smith. He's technically sound and physically lean and long-armed; he's savvy enough to set up opponents and athletic enough to pull on the perimeter; he's devastating as a finisher and patient as a pass-protector. Smith has, on occasion, driven defenders off the all-22 video screen entirely. Smith also plays a position of importance, putting him in the running for the top spot. He looks like a Hall of Fame talent.

i

3. Luke Kuechly, MLB, Carolina Panthers
Bill Polian has called Kuechly the "best diagnose guy" in the league and someone who "sees the play and gets to the ball faster than anybody" at the position. Kuechly is a three-down player, which adds to his value. PFF had him as its top-graded inside linebacker for 2014. He was easily the top-ranked coverage player at the position. Kuechly and the Cowboys' Smith are the only two-time AP All-Pros under 25 years old.

i

4. Aaron Donald, DT, St. Louis Rams
Donald was PFF's highest-graded defensive tackle as a rookie last season, coming in ahead of Gerald McCoy and Ndamukong Suh. Detroit could have selected Donald 10th overall in 2014 as a hedge against losing Suh, but instead the Lions took tight end Eric Ebron. Donald's lack of prototypical size (he is 6-foot-1, 285 pounds) might have led to him slipping to the Rams at No. 13. If teams could draft with hindsight, Donald would presumably go ahead of 2014 selections Jadeveon Clowney (first), Greg Robinson (second), Justin Gilbert (eighth) and Ebron (10th), among others. (Speaking of Clowney, we decided to leave him off the list for now amid uncertainty over how his knee will respond to microfracture surgery.)

i

5. Le'Veon Bell, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers
Bell's weakness would be ... what? His vision and awareness show up not only in his ability to find running lanes and set up defenders, but also in how ably he works as a pass-protector against the blitz. Bell can line up as a wide receiver and beat defenders with his route running (he even caught a back-shoulder throw for a touchdown against Baltimore last season). He was second in the league in yards from scrimmage last season -- 46 yards behind leaderDeMarco Murray despite receiving 78 fewer touches.

i

6. Fletcher Cox, DE, Philadelphia Eagles
Three reporters at the Philadelphia Daily News recently named Cox as the Eagles player most likely to earn All-Pro recognition this season. PFF had Cox as its fifth-rated 3-4 defensive end last season. Unless your name is J.J. Watt, it's tough for 3-4 defensive ends to collect enough sacks to gain notoriety. Cox has averaged a shade over 4.0 sacks in his three pro seasons.

i

7. Odell Beckham Jr., WR, New York Giants
Beckham quickly proved to be a dynamic performer during his 2014 rookie season, edging Dez Bryant for third in PFF grading despite playing fewer snaps than anyone in the top five. Beckham would rank higher on this list if pre-draft concerns over strength and durability had not persisted. An evaluator who watched the Giants' recent preseason game against Jacksonville thought Beckham got frustrated and lost interest. Only preseason? Perhaps, but multiple evaluators polled this offseason weren't willing to bet on Beckham playing as well as he did last season on a consistent basis. It's just a matter of needing to see him perform over the course of a full 16-game season.

i

8. Sammy Watkins, WR, Buffalo Bills
The draft capital Buffalo surrendered for the right to select Watkins suggested the team was serious about developing its offense. The moves to trade for running back LeSean McCoy and add tight end Charles Clay in free agency reinforced the message. Going another year without an established or promising quarterback will not help Watkins maximize his production, but adding Greg Roman as coordinator might. Watkins will look to string together a full season of consistent play -- he had 38 catches for 590 yards and five TDs in his first eight games in 2014 before stumbling to the finish line (27/392/1).

i

9. C.J. Mosley, ILB, Baltimore Ravens
Mosley topped 1,000 snaps, made 129 tackles, collected three sacks and picked off two passes during a rookie season that saw him rank third among inside linebackers in PFF grading against the run (he was 10th overall). The performance lessened concerns over his strength and durability. Mosley appeared comfortable making pre-snap calls, as well. He looks like the total package

i

10. Mike Evans, WR, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Evans topped 1,000 yards, averaged 15.5 yards per catch and scored 12 touchdowns as a rookie despite the Bucs' instability at offensive coordinator, quarterback and along the offensive line.

i

11. Travis Frederick, C, Dallas Cowboys
Frederick, the No. 2 center in PFF grading last season, is one of three Dallas offensive linemen on this list -- all of whom have at least one Pro Bowl and one AP All-Pro selection.

i

12. Zack Martin, G, Dallas Cowboys
A coach who studied the Cowboys' line pointed to plays Martin made at Seattle when illustrating the special ability he demonstrated as a rookie in 2014. On one play, Martin rocked strong safety Kam Chancellor. On another, he dropped defensive lineman Michael Bennett to the ground with a hard initial punch. Martin finished the season tied for sixth in PFF grading for guards.

i

13. Joel Bitonio, G, Cleveland Browns
Bitonio ranked fifth among guards in PFF grading as a rookie last season and has meshed well with a line featuring perennial Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas. Both Thomas and coach Mike Pettine have lauded Bitonio's professionalism and maturity, which should help enable sustained success for the 23-year-old.

i

14. Terron Armstead, LT, New Orleans Saints
Armstead experienced wild performance swings while making 14 starts last season, but the Saints are convinced he can become one of the very best tackles in the league. A pro personnel director concurred.

i

15. Sheldon Richardson, DE, New York Jets
Richardson finished 2014 ranked second among 3-4 defensive ends in PFF grading, but the Jets expressed concern for his decision-making after several traffic charges stemming from driving 143 mph in a road race this offseason. (Richardson has an Oct. 5 court date after pleading not guilty Monday to charges that included resisting arrest.)

i

16. Derek Carr, QB, Oakland Raiders
Positional value and perceived potential come into play for quarterbacks, boosting Carr into the top 15 after a statistically weak rookie season. Coaches and personnel people around the league almost unanimously love what they've seen from Carr to this point, noting that a poor supporting cast was to blame for the subpar production. But time will tell whether Carr's physical abilities are fool's gold. Concerns over how he handles the rush remain justified.

i

17. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Minnesota Vikings
A mostly strong finish to Bridgewater's rookie season put him on an upward trajectory. An opposing corner I spoke with recently said he thought Bridgewater's poise and ability to manage a game stood out as positive signs for the future. Coaches and evaluators see only average physical gifts.

i

18. Brandin Cooks, WR, New Orleans Saints
Cooks' talent is obvious and he should get plenty of chances in an offense that no longer features Jimmy Graham, among others. He won't even turn 22 years old until Sept. 25. The way he performed during joint practices with New England and a subsequent preseason game drew praise from Bill Belichick and Sean Payton alike.

i

19. Stephon Gilmore, CB, Buffalo Bills
Gilmore ranked only 26th in PFF grading for corners last season, but a coach who studied the fourth-year pro saw a complete corner who held up well against Green Bay and Denver. Buffalo finished 2014 ranked first in both defensive expected points added (EPA) and Total QBR allowed. The Bills are hoping the preseason shoulder injury Gilmore suffered was not serious.