Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
McShay: 2016 Mock Draft
Here's a way-too-early mock of how next year's first round might unfold, and it starts off with quarterbacks.
McShay

It would be much appreciated
Way-too-early 2016 NFL mock draft

If you saw some of our TV segments on Monday, you'll know that putting together the way-too-early mock draft for the following season is not my favorite assignment here at ESPN. (You also probably noticed Mel Kiper celebrating the fact that I have to do it.)

But I understand that there is great interest already from fans as to what college football players enter the 2015 season as the top prospects for next year's draft, so I've done my best here to match up many of those players with team fits that make sense.

A couple of important notes:

• I have not done full tape studies on any of these players yet. We will begin going through the 2016 class next week and produce preseason scouting evaluations that will run in August. I made picks here based on what I've been able to see from these players in person, on TV and on limited tape and also what I've heard from league sources.

• The draft order below was generated for us by Football Outsiders, using their early projected records for the 2015 season.

Here is our way-too-early NFL mock draft for 2016.

i

1. Washington Redskins (Football Outsiders' projected 2015 record: 5-11)

Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State: We don't yet know what the future holds for Robert Griffin III, but if the projected records here from Football Outsiders come true, it's safe to assume Washington might be looking for a new franchise quarterback. Hackenberg struggled in 2014 with a 12-touchdown, 15-interception season, but he's a big-time talent with a pro-style skill set.

i

2. Cleveland Browns (Projected record: 5-11)

Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State: Josh McCown is a short-term fix at quarterback for the Browns, and Johnny Manziel's future is up in the air. Cook has good size at 6-foot-4, 220 pounds and is coming off of back-to-back productive seasons as a starter, including leading the Spartans to Cotton Bowl and Rose Bowl victories.

i

3. Oakland Raiders (Projected record: 5-11)

Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State: Bosa was dominant as a true sophomore last season. He's a very strong run defender who is also effective at rushing the passer with his ability to convert speed to power. He's one of the few prospects here that I've studied enough tape on to feel confident in his early evaluation. Assuming he stays healthy and continues to develop, it's hard to imagine Bosa falling out of the top 10 picks in the 2016 draft -- and if you made me choose right now, I'd say he's the top-rated prospect in next year's draft class.

i

4. Tennessee Titans (Projected record: 6-10)

Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss: This pick would provide additional pass protection for 2015 first-round QB Marcus Mariota opposite 2014 first-round OT Taylor Lewan. Tunsil has very good length, power and agility as a pass protector and is able to get good push as a run-blocker.

i

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Projected record: 6-10)

Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State: I'm probably slotting him too early here, but Ogbah has an intriguing skill set and was highly productive during the 2014 season. The Bucs should be able to prioritize defense in next year's draft after taking QB Jameis Winston No. 1 in 2015, and they need a pass-rushing defensive end.

i

6. Jacksonville Jaguars (Projected record: 6-10)

Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida: He's smaller than ideal for a cornerback in Gus Bradley's defense, but he's an elite talent. His man-to-man cover skills are outstanding, and he's a playmaker due to his instincts and anticipation.

i

7. New York Jets (Projected record: 6-10)

Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State: First he has to win the Buckeyes' starting job in 2015. But if he can gain more experience and improve his ability to read defenses and take care of the football, he has the potential to rise up teams' draft boards. He has a big, strong frame and the arm strength to easily drive the football down the field.

i

8. St. Louis Rams (Projected record: 6-10)

Duke Williams, WR, Auburn: Williams established himself as a big-play threat in his first season at Auburn after transferring from junior college, averaging 16.2 yards per reception on 45 catches. He needs to improve his consistency, but has the physical tools (he's 6-2, 224 pounds) to be a very good NFL receiver.

i

9. Arizona Cardinals (Projected record: 6-10)

Jared Goff, QB, California: The Cardinals eventually need to find a long-term replacement at quarterback for Carson Palmer, who will turn 36 this year. Goff has good size (6-4, 210 pounds), a big arm and is a naturally accurate passer. He was really productive as a true sophomore in 2014: 3,973 yards, 35 TDs, 7 INTs.

i

10. Minnesota Vikings (Projected record: 6-10)

Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame: Stanley has very good size for the offensive tackle position at 6-6, 315, and he brings with him the versatility of having played a full season at right tackle and another at left tackle. The Vikings could be looking for offensive line help next offseason.

i

11. Carolina Panthers (Projected record: 7-9)

Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State: The Panthers waited until the fourth round to address their lackluster offensive line in the 2015 draft (Oklahoma OT Daryl Williams), so they could still be in the market for O-line help next year. Decker is another long (6-8, 315) offensive tackle prospect who could play his way into first-round territory.

i

12. Chicago Bears (Projected record: 7-9)

Jalen Ramsey, S, Florida State: I love watching this guy. He plays really hard and makes plays all over the field. He was awesome on the tape I watched of the Miami (FL) game, as he recorded four pass breakups and an interception. The Bears need to keep improving their secondary.

i

13. San Francisco 49ers (Projected record: 7-9)

Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss: He is coming off a nasty broken ankle against Auburn this season, so his recovery and long-term durability prognosis will be closely monitored. But when healthy, Treadwell is a big (6-2, 229), explosive athlete with the physicality and leaping ability to win jump-ball situations.

i

14. Detroit Lions (Projected record: 7-9)

Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State: He has great size (6-6, 317) and two years of starting experience at left tackle for the Spartans. The offensive line isn't an area of strength for the Lions, so here they'd be able to bolster it with the help of a local product.

i

15. Houston Texans (Projected record: 8-8)

Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State: Elliott was one of the Buckeyes' star performers during their championship run, scoring four touchdowns in their title game win over Oregon. The Texans could make him their running back of the future, with Arian Foster an unrestricted free agent in 2017.

i

16. Buffalo Bills (Projected record: 8-8)

Shawn Oakman, DE, Baylor: This is a pick based on potential, not production. We were underwhelmed by Oakman's performance on tape this past season, but he is very physically gifted (he's listed at 6-9, 280) and could rise up draft boards this year if he plays with more urgency and consistency.

i

17. Cincinnati Bengals (Projected record: 8-8)

Robert Nkemdiche, DL, Ole Miss: He was the headliner of the Rebels' outstanding 2013 recruiting class, and he's played multiple spots along the Ole Miss defensive front. He has good length, upper-body strength and initial explosiveness.

i

18. Pittsburgh Steelers (Projected record: 8-8)

A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama: He is used in multiple roles in Alabama's multiple-front defense, with the size (6-4, 320) and power to clog up the middle of the line and the length to set the edge against the run. He's also disruptive against the pass with his ability to push the pocket and get his hands up in passing lanes.

i

19. Philadelphia Eagles (Projected record: 9-7)

Su'a Cravens, S, USC: The Eagles need to continue to improve their secondary, and we know how much Chip Kelly likes Pac-12 players. Cravens has the size (6-1, 225 pounds) of an in-the-box safety who can also play some weakside linebacker. He has trouble covering the quickest slot receivers, but he can hold up in coverage for the most part because of his length and instincts.

i

20. San Diego Chargers (Projected record: 9-7)

Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia: Floyd was one of the most explosive edge rushers in all of college football last season, with outstanding length and athleticism. The Chargers need to continue to upgrade their pass rush.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

21. New Orleans (Projected record: 9-7)

Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech: The younger brother of Bears 2014 first-round CB Kyle Fuller, Kendall had a strong true sophomore campaign for the Hokies last season. He uses his hands very well and has good size, athleticism and instincts.

i

22. New York Giants (Projected record: 9-7)

Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA: Clark jumped off the tape when I was studying the Bruins defense for DE Owa Odighizuwa and LB Eric Kendricks for the 2015 draft. He has good size (6-3, 308) and playmaking ability. The Giants are always looking to add talented players to their defensive line.

i

23. Baltimore Ravens (Projected record: 9-7)

Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn: He missed the entire 2014 season due to injury, but he was an elite recruit who flashed as a true freshman with his explosive athleticism and natural power. He has the potential to develop into an impact player as an edge rusher.

i

24. Kansas City Chiefs (Projected record: 9-7)

Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame: Smith has flashed a lot of raw talent during his Notre Dame career, and has played both inside and outside linebacker in the Fighting Irish defense. He'd fit best as a weak inside linebacker in the Chiefs' 3-4 defense.

i

25. Atlanta Falcons (Projected record: 10-6)

Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA: Jack is similar to 2015 first-round pick Shaq Thompson in that he's a defensive player who also starred at times at running back. His NFL projection is as a weakside linebacker. He has outstanding range against the run and is a playmaker in coverage.

i

26. Indianapolis Colts (Projected record: 10-6)

Spencer Drango, OT, Baylor: The Colts didn't address their offensive line until the seventh round of the 2015 draft, so tackle could be a glaring need by this time next year. Drango has good size (6-6, 310) and experience (three-year starter) at left tackle. He underwent back surgery last offseason.

i

27. Green Bay Packers (Projected record: 10-6)

Maliek Collins, DT, Nebraska: Collins had a very good true sophomore season, leading the Huskers in tackles for loss and trailing only Cowboys 2015 second-rounder Randy Gregory for the team lead in sacks. The Packers need to make some long-term fixes to their defensive line.

i

28. Denver Broncos (Projected record: 10-6)

Scooby Wright, ILB, Arizona: He won the Bednarik award in 2014 as a true sophomore for being the best defensive player in college football. He isn't an elite athlete, but his effort level and playmaking instincts are outstanding. He's effective at pressuring the quarterback as a blitzer as well as when he's lined up as an edge rusher -- he totaled 14 sacks last year.

i

29. Miami Dolphins (Projected record: 11-5)

Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama: He has great size (6-3, 242 pounds) and exceptional power, and he was very effective for the Crimson Tide last season: 990 yards, 5.8 yards per carry and 11 touchdowns to go with two receiving TDs. He isn't the most elusive back, but he's a tough runner with good balance.

i

30. Dallas Cowboys (Projected record: 11-5)

Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State: He was a big-time playmaker for the Buckeyes' defense as a redshirt freshman last season. He lacks ideal size and strength at 6-2, 228, but his combination of athleticism, instincts, savvy and coverage skills is outstanding.

i

31. New England Patriots (Projected record: 11-5)

Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU: Despite losing starters Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner in free agency, the Patriots didn't draft a cornerback until the seventh round of the 2015 draft, so this could still be a need position next year. White is a very talented player who started for LSU his true freshman and sophomore seasons and also serves as one of the team's returners.

i

32. Seattle Seahawks (Projected record: 12-4)

Max Tuerk, C/G, USC: Offensive line might be the weakest spot on the Seahawks' roster, and they didn't choose a lineman until the fourth round of the 2015 draft. Tuerk possesses excellent versatility, having started games at left tackle as a true freshman before starting the full season at left guard in 2013 and the full season at center in 2014.

Other players considered

I couldn't fit these players into the 2016 mock, but all were under consideration:

-- DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
-- Tyler Boyd, WR, Pittsburgh
-- Tony Conner, S, Ole Miss
-- Chris Jones, DT, Mississippi State
-- Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Top committed players in the ESPN 100, and how they'll fit

With the updated ESPN 100 rankings now in place, here are a few of the top committed players and how each will fit into the school they have selected.
150.gif

No. 2 Jayson Tatum, Duke Blue Devils (SF, 6-8, 205, Chaminade/St. Louis, MO)

Tatum brings the best mid-range game in high school basketball to the Blue Devils. Coach K will have the luxury of moving Tatum around within the halfcourt offense in order to create favorable matchups -- very similar to how he featured Jabari Parker.

52.gif

No. 9 Jonathan Isaac, Florida State Seminoles (SF, 6-9, 200, IMG Academy/Bradenton, FL)

Isaac will provide coach Leonard Hamilton with a wing who has off-the-charts upside. His length, skill and versatility is what makes Isaac special. Expect Isaac to be an immediate contributor on the offensive end of the floor, and get better as the season progresses.

333.gif

No. 10 Terrance Ferguson, Alabama Crimson Tide (SG, 6-5, 195, Prime Prep, Dallas, TX)

New Crimson Tide coach Avery Johnson hit the jackpot by landing Ferguson, who has NBA athleticism to go along with the ability to knock down the open three on a consistent basis. Ferguson, is a sure-shot, immediate impact player who also possesses great versatility, basketball IQ and tremendous upside. And when he adds strength to his frame, watch out.

26.gif

No. 11 Lonzo Ball, UCLA Bruins (PG, 6-5, 185, Chino Hills/Chino Hills, CA)

Ball is the type of point guard that his future coach -- former Indiana sharpshooter Steve Alford -- would have loved to play alongside when he was in college. Ball is a pass-first guard with great size, length, court vision and feel for the game. His passes are on time and on target, and he is a dime-dropper supreme who makes his teammates better.

264.gif

No. 12 Markelle Fultz, Washington Huskies (SG, 6-4, 185, DeMatha Catholic/Hyattsville, MD)

Fultz will be an above-the-rim finisher on the break and a dependable scorer from a variety of areas within the halfcourt set, thanks to his excellent mid-range
game. Fultz is a matchup problem on the wing, and a scouting report nightmare for opposing coaches.

222.gif

No. 16 Omari Spellman, Villanova Wildcats (PF, 6-9, 275, MacDuffie/Springfield, MA)

Spellman will give coach Jay Wright a go-to guy on the low block, and this big-body post is also versatile enough to face up and step out to the arc while pulling frontcourt defenders away from the basket. The terrific Wildcat guards will have a big target to get the ball, one who can produce right away in the scoring and rebounding departments.

127.gif

No. 17 Josh Langford, Michigan State Spartans (SG, 6-5, 215, Madison Academy/Huntsville, AL)

Langford is the type of guard coach Tom Izzo loves -- great size, strength, versatility and tough as nails. Langford can score, rebound and defend multiple positions, and also has great versatility and playmaking ability. Langford has the tools to do whatever his team needs to be successful. He is a high-level glue guy.

2.gif

No. 24 Mustapha Heron, Auburn Tigers (SG, 6-4, 210, Sacred Heart/Waterbury, CT)

A former Pittsburgh commit, Heron is now taking his talent down south to play within the up-tempo system of coach Bruce Pearl. Heron is a physical lefty guard who attacks the rim, makes plays on offense and puts the handcuffs on opponents on the defensive end of the floor.

258.gif

No. 25 Kyle Guy, Virginia Cavaliers (SG, 6-2, 180, Lawrence Central/Indianapolis, IN)

Guy is a competitive, attacking guard who can score, has three-point range and is very underrated off the bounce. Coach Tony Bennett has a player in Guy who fits his blocker-and-mover, motion-style offense and Pack-Line defensive system perfectly.

97.gif

No. 27 V.J. King, Louisville Cardinals (SF, 6-7, 200, Paul VI/Fairfax, VA)

King will bring great versatility to both ends of the floor for coach Rick Pitino, thanks to his ability to play both forward positions (depending on the lineup). On offense, King can score inside and out to the mid-range areas with great consistency, and can also rebound from the perimeter. He is a matchup nightmare when aggressive, and defensively can be moved around to multiple positions in the press, man-to-man and zone schemes of the Cardinals.

Next 5:

No. 28 Alterique Gilbert, Connecticut Huskies (PG, 6-0, 180, Miller Grove/Lithonia, GA); No. 31 Sacha Killeya-Jones, Kentucky Wildcats (PF, 6-9, 220, Episcopal/Lynchburg, VA); No. 36 Tyus Battle, Syracuse Orange (SG, 6-5, 200, Gill-St. Bernard/Gladstone, NJ); No. 37 Mamadi Diakite, Virginia Cavaliers (PF, 6-8, 210, Blue Ridge/Dyke, VA); No. 39 Sam Cunliffe, Arizona State Sun Devils (SF, 6-6, 190, Blanchet, Seattle, WA)

Players on the cusp of the ESPN 60

The ESPN 60 for 2017 was revealed Thursday, and below are a few players who just missed our list for this round. Look for each of these five players to threaten for the next version of the list:

Mayan Kiir (PF, 6-9, 215, Victory Rock/Bradenton, FL)

Kiir has continued to improve. He is a high-energy, long, athletic power forward who attacks the rim in transition and can face up out to about 15 feet and hit the open jumper. Kiir rebounds on both ends and also blocks shots, both on the ball or coming to the aid of a teammate from the weak side.

Victor Uyaelunmo (C, 7-0, 207, Gulliver Prep/Miami, FL)

Uyaelunmo, who was No. 60 in the previous release of the rankings, has length and athleticism that allows him to block shots with the power of volleyball spikes. He rebounds at rim level and has excellent mobility and quickness to the ball for a player of his size. Uyaelunmo is a strong above-the-rim finisher with tremendous upside.

Xavier Tillman (PF, 6-8, 235, Central/Grand Rapids, MI)

Tillman, who was No. 42 in the previous release of the rankings, is a strong and physical power forward who competes on both ends of the floor. Tillman rebounds and finishes through contact with ease.

Alex Barcello (PG, 6-2, 175, Corona Del Sol/Phoenix, AZ)

Barcello -- No. 44 in the last version of the rankings -- is a point guard who commands defensive attention due to his ability to knock down open shots. He is versatile enough to slide off the ball and make plays as well. Barcello has a great feel for the game and makes excellent basketball decisions.

Justin Smith (SF, 6-5, 200, Stevenson/Lincolnshire, IL)

Smith was No. 51 in the previous version of the ESPN 60, and is a skilled wing who makes scoring plays not only at a high level in transition, but within the halfcourt offense as well. He is an athletic, above-the-rim finisher and we love the direction his game is headed.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Biggest risers, fallers in latest ESPN 100 rankings

It’s been a busy summer, and so plenty has changed in our recently updated ESPN 100 for the class of 2016.

The biggest area of movement on the list is just on the periphery of the top 10, where a number of products have made a charge within the last couple of months.

Alabama commit Terrance Ferguson might have already been ranked 14th in the country, but his stock has risen dramatically in our eyes. While his pure jumper and elite athleticism, not to mention his size and length for his position, have always been the basis for his potential, the basketball IQ he showed during his stint with USA basketball was a notable development this summer and a big part of the reason for his jump to No. 10.

Frank Jackson (No. 14), Washington commit Markelle Fultz (No. 12) and Rawle Alkins (No. 15) were previously ranked in succession from 20-22, but are all now challenging closer to the top 10 after big summers. For Jackson, it was the combination of his high skill level and deceptive athleticism that made him so appealing. He gets buckets at all three levels, but is able to do it efficiently because he reads the game so well at a young age.

For Fultz, the thing that stands out the most is his learning curve. The story has been over-told at this point, but he went from JV player as a sophomore to league MVP as a junior at the legendary DeMatha Catholic. Equally noteworthy is the fact that he keeps improving and adding new elements to his game. He’s already as good as it gets in the open floor and his development shows no signs of plateauing any time soon, so he’s definitely a riser as well.

Alkins’ rise came by virtue of undeniable production this summer. He played to rave reviews at the Adidas EuroCamp, led his team to the Gauntlet Finale championship in Atlanta and then won the MVP at Adidas Nations. His DNA is as a power player on the wing and a volume scorer, but he has also made notable improvements with his three-point shot and has become a better halfcourt defender and passer than he typically gets credit for.

While those four players now find themselves on the brink of the top 10, the biggest riser in the ESPN 100 is Wenyen Gabriel, who jumped 60 spots from 83 to 23. Gabriel’s rise was gradual through the first two weeks of July but he absolutely exploded in Las Vegas. Gabriel attracted arguably the biggest line of head coaches in Sin City -- Mike Krzyzewski, John Calipari, Bill Self, Roy Williams, Kevin Ollie, Mark Turgeon, Ed Cooley, Jay Wright, Shaka Smart, Mike Brey and more. Gabriel is another late-bloomer, who has grown two inches in the past year. He’s often credited for developing his perimeter skill in that time as well, but the reality is that the perimeter skill has always been there. It’s actually been the progression of his game on the interior, much of which stems from his high motor, that has been so notable. The bottom line is that Gabriel is a 6-foot-10 four-man, a huge mismatch problem and still a long way from being a finished product.

Other notable risers in the top half of the ESPN 100 include a pair of Virginia pledges, Kyle Guy (No. 44 to. No. 25) and Mamadi Diakite (No. 69 to No. 37), along with a trio of guards from the northeast region in Bruce Brown (No. 55 to No. 30), Kevin Huerter (No. 72 to No. 41) and Shamorie Ponds (No. 66 to 42). First-timers including Andrew Jones (No. 35) and Arizona State commit Sam Cunliffe (No. 39) climbed directly to the top half of the list as well.

Whenever there are risers, there have to be fallers, but sometimes that is less about prospects who fail to meet expectations than it is simply a consequence of other, like the aforementioned group, progressing at an unexpectedly rapid rate and leapfrogging others in the process.

In the instance where a player has made a significant drop, it’s typically for one of two reasons. There is a definite sliding scale that exists in evaluating, as we measure potential against production. As underclassmen, those unteachable tools and long-term upside can tend to resonate the most, but as rising seniors, if we’ve yet to see that potential turn to production on a consistent enough basis, it will be reflected in the rankings. Similarly, those who might have been producing at an early age, but haven’t been able to evolve or maintain those same levels of production, relative to the rest of the top players in the class, are likely to slip as well.

A total of 12 players dropped out of the most recent iteration of the ESPN 100 (as did No. 49 Isaac Humphries and No. 99 Kassoum Yakwe, who both reclassified to 2015 in the past week). While all of those remain "on the cusp," Rice commit Joshua Hall (previously No. 45) and Gorjok Gak (No. 68) may have to best chance to crack the rankings again before the year comes to an end. Hall is an exceptional defender who just needs to add to his offensive game while Gak is a high "motor man" who needs to show some progression with his skill set.

DeAndre Ayton, Wendell Carter, Billy Preston and a top-heavy '17 class

Earlier this week we launched the ESPN 100 for the class of 2016, and today we focus on the rising juniors -- the class of 2017. While it does not have the overall talent or depth at this point, the 2017 class can be considered top heavy, with a franchise player sitting at No. 1 in DeAndre Ayton.

Ayton is a 7-foot-plus center who possesses unique mobility in the paint (and beyond), along with soft hands to catch the ball in traffic, and fluid footwork. His skills have continued to grow -- he is a force inside and can play facing the basket with confidence -- that’s a combination you don’t often see at his size or his age. Ayton is special now and will become a difference-maker in college, with a great chance to become the number one pick in the 2018 NBA draft and a potential all-star at the next level.

Away from the game, Ayton's high school coach, Zach Jones, described the Nassau, Bahamas native this way: “DeAndre is a very compassionate kid off the court," Jones said. "That’s how he was raised by his mother. To care for others.”

Ayton's biggest challenge is not to get bored with the game, because things seem to come so easy for him most times. He is lacking endurance and the ability to play each possession like it was his last, but if those two components change we are looking at the next great big man in the game.

Wendell Carter keeps moving up

Outside of Ayton, there are many prospects inside the top 20 who have shown us their enormous upside, including Wendell Carter, who moves up two spots from No. 4 to No. 2. That move is a real indication of his high-level performance, and combination of consistent productivity and plenty of potential.

Carter plays a power game and plays it well, with a wide, thick base and secure hands. Carter does a good job at working for post position, and demonstrates the ability to make and maintain contact with his defender for angles to the rim from either the wing or from a high-low entry. He scores easily on drop-off passes, and will also go to a jump-hook for a basket. Perhaps his greatest impact on the game comes from Carter's persistence on the glass, where he has large, secure hands and uses his wide body to carve out real estate. Defensively, he is a barrier to the rim with his body and shot-blocking talent.

Jayson Tatum (Duke) who has competed against Carter on several occasion and most recently in the Bahamas has high praise for the PF from Georgia. “ He plays really well around the basket, he scores inside and rebounds the ball with two hands," Tatum said of Carter. "I like the way he stays and plays inside the paint where he is best -- he dominates the game inside.”

It’s early in the recruiting process but Carter has Duke, Kentucky, Harvard, Georgia, North Carolina, Kansas, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest all showing him major attention.

"We are not in any rush,” said Carter's father, Wendell Carter Sr.

Preston's major rebound

When he entered the high school ranks, Billy Preston had all the makings of one of the best freshmen in the country. He was 6-7, and showed flashes of brilliance thanks to enormous skills including ball handling, shooting and passing along with instincts for the game. It was then that the hype began around Preston, but he would soon find out that as you go up in levels, talent alone won’t be the reason a prospect is successful -- you need a work ethic and a desire to improve. As a sophomore, Preston seemed to level off, and showed more holes in his game than upside -- there was an inconsistency in his performances.

But this summer Preston seemed to have found his way, combining his outstanding instincts and talent with a new and improved focus -- a combination that produced results in terms of his performances and helped him move from No. 20 all the way to No. 6 in our rankings.

The Dallas native is gifted with a power forward's frame and a guard's skill package. If he plays a balanced inside-outside game and brings great effort, he certainly has the ability to rack up not only double-double performances but also triple-doubles -- his passing skills are sharp.

Preston has the talent and skill to dominate any game, and once he gets the mental part of the process down he will close the gap between potential and player even more.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
How good will Marvin Bagley III, other top players in the ESPN 25 be?

The ESPN 25 group, which is comprised of rising sophomores, is just starting to scratch the surface of its ability. But the initial evaluation of this group tells us we have a wealth of size, exciting skill and athletic ability, as 13 of our top 25 prospects are either power forwards or centers.

When you try to forecast two and three years down the road, a lot can happen both good and bad. The words upside, high ceiling and potential are often used to describe young prospects. There are plenty of what ifs, and more questions than answers when we talk about rising sophomores. Will they accept coaching? Will they work hard to improve, or coast on their physical gifts? Do they love the game, or just play the sport?

What we do know is there are a few prospects who have really caught our eye at this formative stage, and turned heads with their impressive performances and enormous potential. Marvin Bagley III -- meet the 6-10 sophomore with outside game

We have gone into detail on how great Harry Giles and DeAndre Ayton are, and can be in the future. The next No. 1 prospect to break down and discuss is Marvin Bagley III.

Bagley is different than the other two because he is a perimeter player by nature, with a paint game. Bagley displays length, quickness and a fluid set of skills facing the basket that you don’t see very often at his size and age. Giles and Ayton can bump and grind in the post, as they clearly know how to locate their defender and spin away from the pressure, as well as play in traffic and through contact with success. But Bagley has set himself apart by demonstrating a three-point shot that is dependable, and the lefty has also displayed a jump hook over his right shoulder.

Bagley is a unique prospect and a mismatch right now but not in a traditional way. Most at his height and grade try to overpower the opponent with size and strength. He does so with length, finesse and skill, much of which comes naturally to him. He is an instinctive shot-blocker with timing, a lob finisher, a rebound-and-push it-type forward in the open floor, and he can finish the break by either scoring or facilitating. When the pace of the game slows down, he still conquers opponents with his scoring and nifty passing when double- and sometimes triple-teamed. Gaining strength will be vital to his development and success, but Bagley’s future looks extremely bright -- he’s special.

Other stars near the top

Sitting at No. 2 is Silvio De Souza, a difference maker at the rim who can reject shots and finalize plays. This strong athlete is not satisfied just scoring -- he wants to dunk every time he has the chance, and make a statement in doing so. His vertical jump is quick, high and explosive, as he will tip-dunk a missed shot or slam one home after running the floor in transition. If you watch him play live, or on a highlight, you will be sure to see his elbows and head at or above the rim. This summer he made two SC Top 10 dunkson the same day -- the next step for this stud is to work on his skill to score and shoot it from the low-mid and high post.

Holding steady at No. 3 is E.J. Montgomery, who continues to show signs of progress. Montgomery is a long and lanky forward who has played well when the game goes up and down without whistles. He finishes plays, rebounds with length, and runs the floor to take advantage of slower big men. We will be watching to see if Montgomery can start to assert himself in the paint, on the glass and at the rim this season.

Nazreon Reid bumped up a notch to No. 6, and possesses a powerful body with skill, touch and instincts to score whenever he wants inside the arc. As Reid learns the art of competing on every possession, his advancement in the game could be scary.

Biggest risers, fallers in latest ESPN 25 rankings

There are nine new faces in the ESPN 25, and by extension nine players who no longer find themselves among the 2018 national rankings.

Ranking prospects is tricky business, ranking underclassmen is trickier and ranking such a select number of them trickiest of all.

The reality is that while there were certainly some new underclassmen who made a name for themselves this summer, even the ones who were hopped over in the process still have extraordinarily high upsides.

Bol Bol might be the best example of that. Previously ranked No. 19 in the class, you won’t find his name on the current ESPN 25, but there’s no denying that with his combination of size, length and budding skill he has a chance to play the game at the highest levels down the road -- and will certainly be back among our national rankings before too long.

As for the newcomers, here’s a look at the names you’ll need to know: Keldon Johnson (No. 9 in ESPN 25, Park View/South Hill, VA) -- He’s a swingman right now, but Johnson is a 6-foot-4 potential big guard in the making. He has long arms to match his size and the type of smooth scoring instincts that can’t be taught. We’ll be watching to see how he evolves physically, but his upside is as a big scoring guard who can get buckets in all three ranges.

Emmitt Williams (No. 11, Lehigh/Lehigh Acres, FL) -- 6-foot-7 and already 200-plus pounds, Williams is a warrior inside and man among boys who bullies his peers on the glass, scoring within 5-7 feet of the rim and even blocking shots. He has a decent feel for the game offensively but if he can stretch out at least another inch and continue developing his offensive game he should be a top prospect in 2018.

Zion Williamson (No. 13, Day/Spartanburg, SC) -- A 6-foot-4 scorer on the wing, Williamson is cut from a similar cloth as Johnson, he's just maybe a tad bit behind him at the moment. Williamson is a decent shooter but definitely at his best scoring off the dribble. He looks like he’s going to grow some more andit will be interesting to see if the development of his physical tools and skill set makes him more of a wing or secondary guard down the road.

Antoine Jones (No. 16, Sickles/Tampa, FL) -- He’s a big guard with a power-based game who scores either over smaller defenders or just goes through those who can match his strength off the dribble at this stage. He’s undeniably impactful right now but he’s a good, not great, athlete, so his game is going to have to evolve down the road as his peers begin to close the gap physically.

Robert Woodard (No. 20, Columbus/Columbus, MS) -- In many ways he’s the wing version of Jones, already big and strong and so able to assert his will and be extremely productive at this stage. The question is his physical upside, because his body is already mature and there’s not a ton of explosion in his game. Having said that, there’s nothing anybody can do with him right now in a U15 AAU game.

Kamaka Hepa (No. 21, Barrow/Barrow, AK) -- Extremely intriguing, Hepa is a native of Alaska who stood out at the Adidas Summer Championships with his local AAU club. He’s got a great combination of size and skill at a young age, and even played the point for stretches this summer. He’s long, versatile and skilled with clear upside but has to get stronger, more comfortable against contact and used to high-level competition.

Players on the cusp of the ESPN 25

With only 25 spots in our ESPN list for the Class of 2018, a number of terrific players ended up just on the outside. These five players were all on the previous version of our list, and will have an excellent chance of being on the next one: Kenny Nwuba (C, 6-10, 210, Oak Hill Academy (VA)/Jackson, MS)

Previously No. 17 in the ESPN 25, Nwuba is an extra long and athletic post who is extremely mobile. He runs the floor and finishes above the rim with power, and is also a high-level rebounder and shot-blocker with tremendous upside.

Bol Bol (PF, 6-10, 190, Bishop Miege/Kansas City, MO)

Bol, who was No. 19 in the previous version of the rankings, is long and possesses excellent skill and mobility for a player of his size. He can knock down open jumpers with range to the arc, and can simply elevate over smaller defenders in the lane. The son of former NBA player, the late Manute Bol, Bol has excellent upside and is a very unique talent.

Reggie Perry (SF, 6-7, 200, Maclay/Tallahassee, FL)

Perry, who was No. 11 in our last ESPN 25, is a wing loaded with potential. He can handle the ball, is a willing passer and his range has continued to evolve. He finishes above the rim on the break as well, and has the potential to be a multiple-position defender.

Brandon Johns (PF, 6-7, 195, East Lansing/East Lansing, MI)

Johns was No. 12 on the previous list, and our scouts really love his versatility. He knows how to play, and does a great job making high-level basketball plays with his basketball IQ. He is productive inside and out, and his all-around game is impressive.

T.J. Moss (SG, 6-3, 175, East/Memphis, TN)

Moss, who was No. 18 last time out, is an athletic shooting guard who has a nice stroke. He can make plays on the open court, and all the tools to be an excellent all-around scorer as his game continues to develop.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Oh, Canada!: Northern neighbors a future threat to Team USA

Despite pumping players into the NBA in recent seasons, including the No. 1 draft picks in 2013 and 2014, Canada's development into a basketball pipeline has yet to translate to international competition. Canada finished a disappointing sixth in the 2013 FIBA Americas Championship, and was passed over for a wild-card spot in last summer's FIBA Basketball World Cup.

That figures to change at this year's FIBA Americas tournament, which begins Monday. Having gone 4-0 this week in the warm-up Tuto Marchand Cup, Canada now heads to Mexico City as favorites to not only claim one of the two automatic berths in the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics but win FIBA Americas for the first time in the country's history.

NBA-Heavy Canadian squad
Canada still has to make one more cut to its 13-player roster, but head coach Jay Triano -- the former Toronto Raptors coach who is now an assistant for the Portland Trail Blazers -- will have at least eight players at his disposal currently under NBA contract. That total doesn't include Olivier Hanlan, who was drafted in this year's second round by the Utah Jazz but has yet to sign a contract.

With USA Basketball sitting this summer out, having already qualified for the Olympics by winning the World Cup, no international team will have more current NBA players on its roster than Canada. France will have seven NBA players for EuroBasket, which starts next week, while powerhouse Spain's preliminary 14-player Eurobasket roster features just two (Pau Gasol and Nikola Mirotic) currently under NBA contract.

Of course, playing in the NBA is hardly a foolproof measure of ability. Spain wouldn't pass on long-time stars Rudy Fernandez and Sergio Rodriguez just because they've decided to play at home in the ACB rather than continuing their careers in the NBA. But it's still an impressive testament to the development of Canadian basketball that more players from Canada appeared in NBA games last season than from any other nation outside the United States.

NBA players in int'l play this summer
Country NBA players
Canada 12
France 10
Australia 7
Spain* 7
Brazil 6
Turkey 5
*Includes Serge Ibaka and Nikola Mirotic, naturalized Spanish players

As recently as 2010-11, just three Canadian players appeared in NBA games: Steve Nash (who is now the GM of the senior men's national team), Jamaal Magloire and Joel Anthony. Anthony has been joined by 12 newcomers to the league within the past four seasons, eight of them first-round picks -- not counting 2015 lottery pick Trey Lyles, who has represented both the U.S. and Canada at the youth level.

Potential over performance
Canada doesn't fare nearly so well if we change the perspective from quantity to quality. The 12 Canadians in the league combined for 4.9 wins above replacement player (WARP), ranking them 14th among all countries, behind two (Poland, with Marcin Gortat, and Senegal, with Gorgui Dieng) that had a single player in the league.

That's understandable given the youth of Canada's top prospects. Anthony was the only one of the 11 Canadians to see NBA action last season who is older than 25. Robert Sacre has since turned 26, but he's the second-oldest player on Canada's preliminary FIBA Americas roster after 29-year-old international veteran Aaron Doornekamp.

FIBA Americas Mexico 2015

Tournament preview: 10 teams will fight for two direct slots left for the Americas for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games. Martín » | Deportes »
Argentina's Golden Generation: Basketball glory for Argentina in the last three Olympics is a distant memory. Perez | ESPN Argentina »
Puerto Rico's slide: Since defeating the Dream Team in Athens 2004 Olympics, Puerto Rico is in a downward spiral. Jimenez | Deportes »
Oh Canada!: Northern neighbors are a future threat to Team USA. Pelton | Deportes »
Why is Rick Pitino coaching PR?: He's a Hall of Famer and won two national championships. So what is in it for him?. Goodman | Deportes »
Players to watch: Andrew Wiggins and seven other players in the FIBA Americas tournament. Fraschilla | Deportes »
Schedule: The 2015 FIBA Americas tournament will be held from Aug. 31 to Sept. 12 in Mexico City. Results

The best days for Canada are still in the future. My SCHOENE projection system forecasts modest improvement in 2015-16, to 6.6 WARP as a group, with more surely to come beyond that. After all, Canada's centerpiece is 2014-15 rookie of the year Andrew Wiggins, who's old enough (20) to drink legally in his home country but not in the U.S.

Still, Canada's depth should be an asset at FIBA Americas against teams with more experience but far less talent. Brazil, which automatically qualifies for the Olympics as its host, isn't bringing any of its NBA players to Mexico City, meaning Canada will have more current NBA players on its roster than everyone else at the tournament combined. That gives Triano plenty of options, which is important with teams that reach the medal round playing 10 games in 13 days -- at altitude.

Finishing in the top two in Mexico City is important for Canada in part to convert the potential its basketball program has shown into results beyond the silver medal a young group claimed on home soil at the Pan Am Games in Toronto. More than that, though, qualifying for the Olympics is a crucial step in Canada's development on the international stage.

While Canada is probably too young to seriously contend in the 2016 Olympics, the 2019 World Cup and 2020 Summer Olympics are realistic targets for Canada to claim the role of greatest threat to the U.S.'s international dominance. By then, Wiggins will be nearing the prime of his career and the rest of Canada's NBA players should also be maturing as role players. Add in even younger talent like Jamal Murray, the Kentucky-bound guard who starred in the Pan Am Games but withdrew from the World Cup to prepare for his college season, and Canada could be stacked for the next major cycle of international basketball.

First, though, Canada's future stars need international experience. This is the first appearance for Wiggins with the senior national team, and he and his teammates need to make it count by securing a spot in the Olympics.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Scout's Take: ESPN 100 PG Payton Pritchard to Oregon

iESPN 100 point guard (No. 43 overall) Payton Pritchard ended his recruitment on Friday with a verbal commitment to the in-state Oregon Ducks. Here's a look at what he'll bring to the Pac-12 next year.

Why he committed: Oregon averages close to 80.0 points per game under head coach Dana Altman, and that fast scoring style really appealed to Pritchard.

"I like how they are going to use my abilities as a point guard," Pritchard told ESPN.com. "I love the pace they play at and I can be one of the leaders of the team."

"He felt it was time to make his decision and he knew in his heat he wanted to stay home," his father, Terry, added. "He is a hometown kid and wants to help Oregon go far in basketball."

What he brings: Pritchard is a sharp shooting combo-guard who thinks setup first but can nail a three-point shot or pull up from the mid-range with effectiveness. What makes him special is he can help his team by having a big scoring night or by distributing the ball. Speaking of passing, Pritchard will keep the ball moving to create flow but when he is ready to find the open man he owns the uncanny ability to make the assist. When the game gets going at a frenetic pace, Pritchard is comfortable spotting up for transition threes or driving and kicking to an open teammate. He competes at a high level and works on the defensive end, but that is an area that he needs to tighten up. He can carry a team when needed but is best when talent surrounds him -- and Oregon will return a strong roster.

How he fits: In the conversion game Oregon likes to use a drag ball screen so Pritchard will be setting the pace with the ball in his hands, and that’s where he shines. A dangerous player in space and a confident player on ball screens, he reads a screen with his high IQ, understands how to create separation between defenders, and then goes to work. In the halfcourt offense Altman has always been about his four-out, one post spread which gives gifted players space to operate and to score. Oregon likes to start the offense in a two-guard alignment and have the point guard hit the wing or the opposite guard. The lead guard can basket-cut or receive a flare screen, be the primary ball-handler and decision maker on side ball-screens, or the cutter off a weak side staggered double action. Altman’s concepts are motion-based and endless.

Who he reminds us of: A few comparisons come to mind including J.J. Barrea, who keeps the pressure on a defense and is always reading the help and taking advantage of defensive mistakes. Pritchard also has the qualities of a T.J. McConnell, who can make his teammates better with the his floor game. Pritchard shoots it better that the former Wildcat, but those winning traits are similar.

How the class is shaping up: The Ducks already have Keith Smith from Rainier Beach (Washington), who is a former San Diego State commit. Keep an eye on the Ducks' recruitment of ESPN No.5 Malik Monk, as they are in there strong and could make his final list. Oregon needs size so look for Dana Altman and his staff to pursue Jayce Johnson, Abdul Ado and Michael Cage Jr. The Ducks win big here with the best player in the state staying home.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Andrew Wiggins is the top player to watch at FIBA Americas

The FIBA Americas qualifying tournament tips off in Mexico City on Monday with two spots in the 2016 Olympics at stake. A total of 12 teams from around the world will play next August in Rio de Janeiro.

The United States has already qualified by virtue of being the current FIBA World Champions. Brazil has also qualified because it will host the 2016 Games. That leaves spots for the top-two finishers in the upcoming 10-team tournament that includes favorites Argentina, Canada, Puerto Rico and Mexico.

While the tournament is not stocked with high-level NBA talent, there are some important players to keep your eye on.

Andrew Wiggins | F | Canada

Wiggins, the NBA's Rookie of the Year and No.1 pick in the 2014 NBA draft, is making his first appearance in a major international event for Canada. After averaging 16.9 points and starting all 82 games for the Minnesota Timberwolves, he is expected to play a dominant role for coach Jay Triano's young team that has nine current NBA players on its roster.

Luis Scola | F | Argentina

FIBA Americas Mexico 2015

Tournament preview: 10 teams will fight for two direct slots left for the Americas for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games. Martín » | Deportes »
Argentina's Golden Generation: Basketball glory for Argentina in the last three Olympics is a distant memory. Perez | ESPN Argentina »
Puerto Rico's slide: Since defeating the Dream Team in Athens 2004 Olympics, Puerto Rico is in a downward spiral. Jimenez | Deportes »
Oh Canada!: Northern neighbors are a future threat to Team USA. Pelton | Deportes »
Why is Rick Pitino coaching PR?: He's a Hall of Famer and won two national championships. So what is in it for him?. Goodman | Deportes »
Players to watch: Andrew Wiggins and seven other players in the FIBA Americas tournament. Fraschilla | Deportes »
Schedule: The 2015 FIBA Americas tournament will be held from Aug. 31 to Sept. 12 in Mexico City. Results

The Toronto Raptors' Scola has been representing Argentina almost as long as Wiggins has been alive. In 1995, he helped Argentina to a South American Cadet gold medal. In fact, he has earned 16 medals playing for his country, including Olympic gold in 2004.

With many of Scola's teammates from Argentina's "Golden Generation" now in retirement, he has been asked to lead a young team that does not have the country's usual level of NBA talent. Nicolas Laprovittola, a 25-year old point guard who will play in Lithuania this season, will have an important supporting role.

Anthony Bennett | F | Canada

Bennett is in a different place than his Minnesota teammate. After two disappointing seasons in the NBA, he is fighting for his career.

Bennett enjoyed a promising performance during Canada's run to the silver medal in the recent Pan Am Games in Toronto. He averaged 15.6 points and 9.4 rebounds while shooting 56 percent from the floor. He could be a big reason why Canada qualifies for its first Olympics since 2000 if he plays as well as he did in July.

Augusto Lima | F | Brazil

Since the Brazilians have already qualified for next summer's Olympics, this tournament will not see NBA players Nene Hilario, Leandro Barbosa or Tiago Splitter. Instead the legendary coach Ruben Magnano has added some young talent to a roster that already captured the Pan Am gold medal earlier this summer.

While point guard Vitor Benite may be Magnano's best player, the top NBA prospect is most likely Lima, a 6-foot-10 forward who currently plays in Spain. Although Lima was not drafted in 2013, he has improved and matured. At 23 years old, he is an active big man who may be on an NBA roster next year.

Edgar Sosa | G | Dominican Republic

Without mainstays Al Horford and Karl-Anthony Towns, who have elected not to play in this tournament for the Dominican Republic, one of the leaders of this team is Sosa, a former Louisville point guard.

Sosa, who has spent much of his career playing in Europe, will try to lead his country to an Olympic berth along with another former Cardinal and NBA player: Francisco Garcia.

Cory Joseph | G | Canada

Joseph, an important role player on some very good San Antonio Spurs teams, signed a free-agent contract with the Raptors this summer. After backing up future Hall of Famer Tony Parker, he left the Spurs to represent his hometown team.

On Triano's team, he will be anything but a role player. In fact, Joseph will be Canada's most important guy. With the departure of 19-year-old phenom Jamal Murray to Kentucky for the start of his freshman year, Joseph will be his team's only true point guard.

J.J. Barea | G | Puerto Rico

Barea, who helped the Dallas Mavericks to an NBA title in 2011, has been part of Puerto Rico's national team since 2006. In fact, he led the FIBA World Cup in scoring last year, averaging 22 points per game.

This year, he is teaming with Louisville coach Rick Pitino. Current Trail Blazer Moe Harkless -- who is only 22 years old -- will try to help, pending a recent ankle sprain.

Gustavo Ayon | F | Mexico

The 6-foot-9 Ayon, who has played for four NBA teams, is the mainstay for the host team in the tournament. This past season, he helped Real Madrid to the Eurobasket and Spanish League championships.

In 2013, Ayon helped Mexico to its first FIBA Americas championship and earned the tournament

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Which first-year coaches can win now?
Being a first-year coach in a major conference is very, very difficult. Ask Fred Hoiberg.

The new head coach of the Chicago Bulls might fairly be said to be pre-eminent in his field at the moment, but in his first season at the helm at Iowa State in 2010-11 he went just 3-13 in the Big 12. In fact over the past five seasons, first-year head coaches have won just 34 percent of their league games in the nation's top six conferences (the ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC).

Granted, there are exceptions to that rule. Frank Haith memorably guided a veteran Missouri team to a 30-5 record in his first campaign as the head man in Columbia in 2011-12, and just last season Chris Holtmann led Butler to a surprisingly strong 12-6 finish in Big East play. Still, the key phrase there is "exceptions to the rule." Of the last 50 seasons recorded by rookie head coaches in the major conferences, 37 of those introductory campaigns netted a below-.500 record in league play.

Keep these numbers in mind as you look at this season's crop of first-year coaches. Here are my rankings of this season's chances of success (and not a given coach's overall ability) for the new guys in the major conferences, from the brightest 2015-16 forecast to the darkest:
i

1. Steve Prohm, Iowa State Cyclones
Prohm is inheriting a much stronger roster from Hoiberg than the one Hoiberg had to work with in 2010-11. This season, the new Cyclone head coach will face life in the Big 12 with Georges Niang, Jameel McKay, Monte Morris, Abdel Nader, Naz Long and (after the first semester) Marquette transfer Deonte Burton.

In Big 12 play last season Iowa State was the best shooting team in the league by a mile, and with veterans like Niang and Nader on hand the Cyclones have the potential to approach that same level of accuracy in 2015-16. Moreover Prohm knows his way around an efficient offense -- Murray State averaged an incredible 1.17 points per trip in Ohio Valley play in 2014-15 -- and so far the coach has been sounding all the right Hoibergian notes (share the ball and space the floor") about the approach he intends to take this season. ISU should be able to score some points.
i

2. Mike White, Florida Gators
Last spring Florida missed the NCAA tournament for the first time in six years, and then longtime coach Billy Donovan left over the summer to become the head coach of the Oklahoma City Thunder. Throw in Eli Carter's decision to transfer and the fact that UF's incoming freshman class lacks any top-50 recruits for the first time since the inception of the ESPN 100 in 2007, and one is left with a rather gloomy portrait of the program.

Yet somehow White's inheriting a surprisingly strong rotation led by Dorian Finney-Smith, Kasey Hill, Chris Chiozza, DeVon Walker and Alex Murphy. Florida's main problem last season was simply that the Gators couldn't make any 3s. Then again White's Louisiana Tech team was also poor from the perimeter, but the Bulldogs somehow managed to record 1.07 points per possession in Conference USA play. Florida will be quite respectable in 2015-16, and indeed by first-year-coach standards the Gators will be downright mighty.
i

3. Shaka Smart, Texas Longhorns

Forget Havoc, I'm interested in seeing what transpires on offense this season at Texas. The story so far: Isaiah Taylor has decided to return to Austin for his junior season, a development that may well have led Smart to both give thanks and take stock. On the one hand Taylor developed into an exemplary point guard as a sophomore, posting a glittering assist rate and hitting 84 percent of his commendably frequent free throws. On the other hand Taylor's career shooting percentages from the field are, to be as charitable as the circumstances warrant, not good: 28 percent on 3s, 41 percent on 2s. Now put yourself in Smart's shoes. What's the answer here? The UT rotation, while experienced, isn't exactly brimming with featured-scorer types.

I trust the Longhorn defense -- which was already quite good even in a 2014-15 season that ended with the coach being fired -- will be just fine. If Smart and Taylor can solve the riddle on offense, Texas could yet surprise people.
i

4.Will Wade, VCU Rams
Strictly speaking, Wade isn't at a major-conference program like the rest of these guys, but I wanted to bring my list up to a numerically tidy 10 coaches, and anyway, the Rams are no strangers to March's bright glare. Indeed in Wade's first season, the former Chattanooga coach will be trying to take Virginia Commonwealth to its sixth consecutive NCAA tournament.

VCU lost two pillars of the program after last season when seniors Treveon Graham and Briante Weber departed (in addition to losing a valued rotation player when Terry Larrier elected to transfer to Connecticut), but returnees like Melvin Johnson, JeQuan Lewis, Mo Alie-Cox and Jordan Burgess should keep the Rams in the hunt for an Atlantic 10 title. Wade will also welcome Oral Roberts transfer Korey Billbury to a rotation whose most pressing issues could be perimeter shooting and defensive rebounding.
i

5. Bobby Hurley, Arizona State Sun Devils
The Sun Devils return four starters from a team that finished .500 in the Pac-12 last season (after an 0-4 start, no less). Hurley says he'll play at a fast tempo and, for once, there are grounds to believe a new coach when he says he'll play at a fast tempo. (Bearing in mind that even Tony Bennett had to at least pay lip service to a faster pace when he was hired at Virginia in 2009.)

Hurley actually did play at a brisk pace at Buffalo, but the larger point to be made here is that, at any speed, the next coach in Tempe is poised to reap some good luck. Last season the Pac-12 drained 38 percent of its 3s against the Sun Devils, who by the way were busily turning the ball over left and right. Assuming Hurley can get Gerry Blakes, Tra Holder and Savon Goodman to hold on to the rock, normal perimeter shooting from opponents could get writers holding forth sooner rather than later about the "culture change" that the new coach has brought to campus.
i

6. Rick Barnes, Tennessee Volunteers

When Donnie Tyndall embarked on what turned out to be a one-and-done tenure at Tennessee last season, it was said that he had a painfully inexperienced roster with just one senior. So I suppose the good news for Barnes is that the Volunteers lost only that one senior from last season -- Josh Richardson -- and return just about everyone else.

"Everyone else" includes starters Armani Moore, Kevin Punter and Robert Hubbs III, as well as occasional starter Derek Reese. Barnes' top priority will be getting some interior D out of his veterans, for last season the SEC shot 51 percent inside the arc against UT. Forcing misses will be crucial, because under Barnes the Vols won't force as many turnovers as they did in 2014-15.
i

7. Ben Howland, Mississippi State Bulldogs

Usually when a new head coach is hired, he chooses to stress the importance of hoary old standbys like "discipline" and "fundamentals." And usually when a new head coach talks like that we all roll our eyes and move on.

But you'll forgive Howland if he does indeed stress the importance of things like discipline and fundamentals. Last season, Mississippi State was quite simply off the charts in terms of such measurable outcomes as turnover percentage (last in the league by far in SEC play). If combo guard Craig Sword can improve his own personal numbers in that category -- and stay out of foul trouble -- he could be primed for a strong senior season. Carrying out the rather thankless task of being the featured scorer for a 13-19 team, Sword nevertheless connected on half his 2s and 36 percent of his 3s.
i

8. Avery Johnson, Alabama Crimson Tide
Johnson has already made a splash in Tuscaloosa, signing national top-15 recruit Terrance Ferguson as well as Memphis transfer Nick King. Alas, neither of those guys will be in uniform for the Crimson Tide until 2016-17.

In the meantime Alabama figures to look very much like a team under a first-year coach. Leading scorers Levi Randolph, Ricky Tarrant and Rodney Cooper have all departed, and Johnson will now see what he can get from Shannon Hale, Retin Obasohan, Michael Kessens, Jimmie Taylor and Riley Norris. Last season the Tide attempted -- and missed -- a very high number of 3s at a very slow pace. Expect Alabama to veer toward the mean on both fronts in Year 1 of the Johnson era.
i

9. Dave Leitao, DePaul Blue Demons

DePaul has had one of the worst defenses in major-conference basketball in seven of the last eight seasons, a truly extraordinary run of futility that has spanned the tenures of Jerry Wainwright and Oliver Purnell. Now the coach who preceded Wainwright, Leitao, is back to set things straight in Chicago, and why not? At least his Blue Demon defenses were statistically average.

So, sure, other things being equal it's a positive that Leitao inherits a team with four returning starters. But what I wrote almost a year ago still applies on the North Side. Until DePaul at last decides to play some defense, any talk of the things that usually matter with a basketball team -- things like talent or experience -- is premature at best.

i

10. Chris Mullin, St. John's Red Storm

Just about any St. John's player that comes to mind from last season is gone. D'Angelo Harrison, Phil Greene IV, Sir'Dominic Pointer and Jamal Branch all completed their eligibility after 2014-15. Rysheed Jordan left school to turn pro and Chris Obekpa transferred to UNLV.

As a result of all these departures, the Red Storm's leading returning scorer is now Amar Alibegovic. True, Pittsburgh transfer Durand Johnson can certainly give Mullin a lift on offense (even if Jamie Dixon didn't exactly sound heartbroken to see Johnson leave), and freshman point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. has potential. Nevertheless the St. John's program is, for the moment, depleted where talent is concerned. Mullin has a blank canvas.