Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Dominique Wilkins

Georgia Dawg
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA

The signing deadline for this year's drafted players has passed, with few surprises -- every true first-rounder signed for the first time since 2007 -- and I've already reordered the top 50 prospects in the minors (although that ranking already has come to dust courtesy of a few key promotions). Here now is a very temporary ranking of the five strongest farm systems in baseball.

Two teams not on this list who at least have a chance to make a big leap between now and August 1 are the Philadelphia Phillies and Cincinnati Reds, two teams that need to sell without remorse or compunction at this year's trade deadline.

Plenty has changed since I last ranked the farm systems (back in January), so without further ado, here are the current top five major league farm systems:

bos.gif
1. Boston Red Sox
January rank: 5
Number of top-50 prospects: 5

Top prospects: Rafael Devers, 3B (ranked 8th in top 50); Yoan Moncada, 2B (11); Manuel Margot, CF (14); Henry Owens, LHP (37); Javier Guerra, SS (48)

The Red Sox have as much potential ceiling -- in terms of players who have at least a fighting chance to become well-above-average regulars or more -- as any organization in baseball, as well as tremendous depth in both position players and pitchers. This sets them up well to make a trade for some major league impact now or this winter.

The top three players in their system are all international signings who have shown huge early promise, as has Guerra and their main signing from July 2, 2014, right-hander Anderson Espinoza, who is already throwing well at age 17 in the Gulf Coast League. They also added, via this year's draft, Golden Spikes Award winner Andrew Benintendi, a power-hitting center fielder with above-average speed who's off to a great start in short-season ball, while fast-rising first baseman Sam Travis (former teammate of Cubs rookie Kyle Schwarber at Indiana) already has hit his way to Double-A. And they still have players like third baseman Garin Cecchini, shortstop Deven Marrero and center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr., who would be on the major league rosters of many other MLB teams but are completely blocked in Boston.

The only weakness in the system now is near-term pitching after Owens, since Eduardo Rodriguez and Brian Johnson already have graduated to the majors, while former high picks such as Trey Ball and Teddy Stankiewicz have struggled in high-A ball.

atl.gif
2. Atlanta Braves
January rank: 6
Number of top-50 prospects: 1

Top prospects: Ozhaino Albies, SS (25th in top 50); Kolby Allard, LHP (honorable mention)

Although the Braves placed just one player in my recent top 50, they have a half-dozen players who would be candidates for the next 50, including right-handers Mike Foltynewicz, Matt Wisler and Tyrell Jenkins, all acquired in trades since the World Series ended; infielder/center fielder Jose Peraza, who has slipped with the exposure of some of his flaws at the plate this year; and first baseman/left fielder Braxton Davidson, who is showing great plate discipline and a little power at age 19 in the Class A South Atlantic League. Wisler came in the Craig Kimbrel/Melvin Upton Jr. trade, while outfielder Mallex Smith and lefty Max Fried, the latter of whom is a former top-10 pick (taken seventh overall by the Padres in 2012) now on his way back from Tommy John surgery, were acquired for Justin Upton. Right-hander Andrew Thurman, acquired with Foltynewicz in the Evan Gattis trade, just returned from a nearly two-month DL stay after he was injured in a team bus crash, but the command and control that seemed to evaporate on him last year appear to be back.

The system is a little light on future stars other than Albies and Allard, but there's a tremendous amount of depth here, especially pitching, which Atlanta desperately needed coming out of the Frank Wren Reign of Error.

tex.gif
3. Texas Rangers
January rank: 11
Number of top-50 prospects: 4

Top prospects: Joey Gallo, 3B (5th in top 50); Nomar Mazara, RF (6); Dillon Tate, RHP (46); Jorge Alfaro, C (49); Jake Thompson, RHP (honorable mention).

The Rangers drafted for ceiling for years and adopted the same approach in Latin America, with the fruits of that huge wave of talent signed in 2011-12 starting to reach the majors or get close this year, with Gallo debuting early and Mazara starring in Double-A at age 20. A strong draft this year added Tate and Duke right-hander Michael Matuella, a likely top-five pick who missed most of his junior season after Tommy John surgery, along with the usual array of raw high school athletes. They also have quite a bit of starting pitching that is major league-ready or close to it, including Thompson, Chi Chi Gonzalez, Luke Jackson and Alec Asher; all four are in either Double- or Triple-A and have a chance to be major league starters. First-rounder Luis Ortiz was throwing the heck out of the ball for low-A Hickory and might have the highest ceiling of any pitcher in the system, though he's on the shelf now due to a strained flexor tendon. Even the mythical David Perez, injured for most of the past three seasons, has managed to pop back up as a relief prospect in Class A ball.

The Rangers have been down a little for the past year and a half, but there's a cascade of talent coming to help the major league club.

nym.gif
4. New York Mets
January rank: 4
Number of top-50 prospects: 2

Top prospects: Michael Conforto, OF (12th in top 50); Dominic Smith (40).

Even after the promotions of top pitching prospects Noah Syndergaardand Steven Matz, the Mets still have a system loaded with high-probability big leaguers, including a couple of potential stars in Conforto, Smith and shortstop Amed Rosario. The re-emergence of Gavin Cecchini as a legitimate offensive prospect -- built on a good finish last summer -- gives the Mets some options for their infield going forward, especially important when the team is owned by John Elwes (i,e., a Scrooge). Casey Meisner, one of my two sleeper prospects for this system coming into the year, had a breakout first half for St. Lucie, and Michael Fulmer has been healthy and effective in Double-A after missing the first two weeks of the season. There's a ton of pitching in here, most of it potentially useful in trades because of the depth of the Mets' rotation, but they also have some bats coming -- five guys I'd tab as regulars or better -- to help that very sad major league offense as soon as next year.

was.gif
5. Washington Nationals
January rank: 9
Number of top-50 prospects: 3

Top prospects: Lucas Giolito, RHP (3rd in top 50); Trea Turner, SS (16); Joe Ross, RHP (28); Reynaldo Lopez, RHP (honorable mention).

The Nationals would be a spot or two lower had they not traded 26-year-old rookie Steven Souza, now hitting .210/.301/.417 for Tampa Bay, for both Turner and Ross in what looked at the time like a great deal for the team and has only improved since. They already had a strong trio of starting pitching prospects in high-A in Giolito, Lopez and Nick Pivetta, the last of whom already has been promoted to a Double-A club in Harrisburg that has at least a half-dozen players likely to make it to at least backups in the majors.

Their 2014 first-rounder, right-hander Erick Fedde, is coming back quickly from the Tommy John surgery he underwent last May; he's back up to 92-94 mph with good fastball life, while the slider is lagging a little behind. And center fielder Victor Robles, signed for just $225,000 in July 2013, has emerged as one of the system's top-10 prospects; he's a plus-plus runner with good feel to hit. Or as one scout told me about him the other day, Robles is "a GUY."

Just outside the top five: Pittsburgh Pirates, Colorado Rockies.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
2016 free-agent Big Board 1.0: LeBron and Durant lead a top-heavy class

Well, that escalated quickly!

Free agency 2015 went by in the blink of an eye, with most of the non-minimum-salary free agents getting snatched off the board within the first 72 hours. It ran in stark contrast to 2014, when the entire market sat and waited to see what LeBron James did.

The way things are panning out, 2016 might go by even more quickly. No fewer than 15 teams are expected to have at least $20 million in cap space, as the first year of inflated salary caps fueled by the new television deal revenues takes effect. The list of desirable free agents is considerably thinner than years past, and an abundance of cash, combined with a shortage of talent, means free agency will get only crazier.

Here's my first look at the top 10 of my 2016 free-agent Big Board, sorted by the average annual value (AAV) of the new contracts I believe each player deserves under the rules of the CBA. The contract valuations for many of these players are almost guaranteed to change, as their 2014-15 performances will affect their worth, but it is important to get a gauge of where the different prospects stand.

To make my contract value estimates, I used many of the same factors I considered as a member of the Phoenix Suns' front office: age, injury history, value of recent comparable player contracts, irreplaceability of skill set, contribution to winning, history of production, fit with style and culture, marketability and current cap situation, among other things.

Remember,this is not a ranking of the best free agents -- it lines them up based on projected AAV. And the AAVs listed below represent my estimation of the approximate value of each player,not a prediction of what the player will receive on the market in 2016. (Values denoted in millions of dollars.)

1. LeBron James | Cleveland Cavaliers | SF
i

2015-16 salary: $23.0 million
Suggested AAV: $30.7 million/year ($61.4 million over two years, player option)
FA status: Player option

Let's do it again! James has this constant free-agency thing down to a science, but this would probably be the last summer it's financially more viable for him to sign a short-term deal. Moving past 2016, he'll have full Bird rights, and the cap explosion should stabilize, but most importantly, both the NBA and the NBPA have the right to opt out of the current CBA in December 2016. This could mean an elimination (or loosening) of max deals in the next CBA, allowing James to make his true market value. Then again, it could also mean more restrictive spending penalties, limiting his earning potential.

2. Dwight Howard | Houston Rockets | C
i

2015-16 salary: $22.4 million
Suggested AAV: $30.7 million/year ($61.4 million over two years)
FA status: Player option

Howard's a lightning rod for criticism, but he's still one of the premier centers in the game for his ability to affect either end of the floor. He's one of the best defensive deterrents at the rim and efficient offensively on the other end. I'd be hesitant to commit long term without some givebacks on the back end, because Howard does rely heavily on his athleticism to be effective.

3. Kevin Durant | Oklahoma City Thunder | SF
i

2015-16 salary: $20.2 million
Suggested AAV: $27.3 million/year ($81.8 million over three years, player option)
FA status: Unrestricted free agent

Durant's eligible for five years, $146 million from Oklahoma City. If that number sounds familiar, it's because it's the same deal Anthony Davis signed under the Rose Rule provision. Durant will be one year shy of hitting the 10-year experience mark that bumps him up to the highest max contract bracket (35 percent of the cap), so signing a long-term deal wouldn't be in his best interest. A three-year deal with a player option after the second gives him some security (should injury woes continue to bedevil him), while staying flexible enough to re-enter the market under the 35 percent bracket (or if max contracts get eliminated in the next CBA).

4. Mike Conley | Memphis Grizzlies | PG
i

2015-16 salary: $9.6 million
Suggested AAV: $24.0 million/year ($96.0 million over four years)

The drop-off between Conley and the next best point guard available on the market next summer is massive, and his representatives will certainly exploit that fact. He's been criminally underrated, perhaps the most of any player in the league, and is a brilliant game-manager, playmaker and tenacious defender who has improved his shooting every year in the league and has one of the deadliest in-between games. The closest "new money" comparison would be Damian Lillard's extension, but whatever Conley signs for is going to be the new standard for point guard contracts.

5. Andre Drummond | Detroit Pistons | C
i

2015-16 salary: $3.3 million
Suggested AAV: $23.5 million/year ($94.1 million over four years, player option)
FA status: Restricted free agent

Drummond will be barely 23 years old next summer, with potential to continue growing as a dominant center in the league. He's probably a true point guard away from realizing his full potential, but there will be no shortage of suitors for his services. A four-year max deal with an opt-out after the third keeps his options open.

6. Bradley Beal | Washington Wizards | SG
i

2015-16 salary: $5.7 million
Suggested AAV: $23.5 million/year ($94.1 million over four years, player option)
FA status: Restricted free agent

Don't let John Wall see this entry, lest he get even more confused by the concept of a rising cap. Beal has been anointed as the next great shooting guard in the league, and like Conley, he'll benefit from a lack of viable alternatives on the market. Again, a four-year max with an opt-out after three makes him the highest-paid shooting guard, but gives him an opportunity to re-enter the market.

7. Al Horford | Atlanta Hawks | PF/C
i

2015-16 salary: $12.0 million
Suggested AAV: $22.0 million/year ($88.0 million over four years, partial guarantee)

If Conley is the most underrated player in the game, Horford isn't far behind. So much of the Hawks' success this past season was predicated on Horford's ability to remain a mismatch on the offensive end while holding his own defensively. One of the main concerns about Horford is durability, as he twice has suffered torn pectoral muscles (albeit different sides), so a partial guarantee based on minutes played in prior seasons could protect the team should he miss significant time.

8. Hassan Whiteside | Miami Heat | C
i

2015-16 salary: $981,348
Suggested AAV: $18.8 million/year ($56.4 million over three years, team option on third year)

Whiteside burst on the scene last season, but based on his history it was hard for anyone -- even the Heat -- to project he'd be this successful. Whiteside's rags-to-riches rise occurred in his third NBA season; had it happened any earlier, the Heat would have given him a team option on 2015-16 instead of a non-guaranteed year, which would have allowed them to decline that option, turning him into a 2015 restricted free agent. Instead, he'll be an unrestricted free agent with only Early Bird rights, meaning Miami will have to use cap space to pay him market value. Of course, this all depends on Whiteside's ability to stay on his best behavior and continue to produce on a high level on the floor.

9. Chandler Parsons | Dallas Mavericks | SF
i

2015-16 salary: $15.4 million
Suggested AAV: $18.0 million/year ($54.0 million over three years)

Given the tumultuous 2015 free agency of the Mavericks, Parsons is in a unique position few could have foreseen when he signed his deal last summer. Combining the cap rise with the opportunity to take a leading role as a focal point of Dallas' offense this season, Parsons can see his value rise significantly, above the $15.6 million he's due this season. As a 6-foot-10, playmaking forward who is a dependable 3-point shooter, he's already a unique proposition. Now he needs to show the ability to take the next step.

10. Timofey Mozgov | Cleveland Cavaliers | C
i

2015-16 salary: $5.0 million
Suggested AAV: $16.0 million/year ($48.0 million over three years)

Defensive centers are the anchors of almost every elite defense; defensive centers who are not offensive liabilities are even more valuable as the emphasis on having two-way players at every role-player position grows. The closest comparison would be Robin Lopez, who signed a four-year, $54 million deal this summer with the Knicks and most resembles Mozgov's defensive acumen and offensive dependability.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Scouting Mets, Yankees Double-A prospects

On Saturday, the Double-A Binghamton Mets and Trenton Thunder played the shortest pro game I've ever attended in person, a nine-inning, 3-0 affair completed in 1:56, as both starters went the distance.

I missed outfielder Michael Conforto, who was promoted to the majors 36 hours earlier, but I did get my first look this year at shortstop Gavin Cecchini, who has emerged as one of the team's top prospects with a breakout season at the plate.

As a hitter, Cecchini sets up with his hands deep, just below his back shoulder, doesn't load at all, and comes directly at the ball after a toe-tap and short stride, a swing that's fine for contact but is unlikely to produce much if any power in the majors. He has had throwing woes -- he has 24 errors in 87 games, many of them on bad throws -- and nearly had one get away Saturday night on a routine throw in which he had plenty of time but still lobbed one offline to the first baseman. On two other plays when he had less time, his throws were harder and online, one textbook and one in which he didn't release the ball immediately, like he was trying to find the seams while the ball was in his glove. His hands and footwork are both above average, and if the throwing thing isn't a physical problem (like an elbow injury) or something like the yips, he still projects as an above-average defender at short who'll hit for average and a lot of contact, but without power.

More notes from the game
• Binghamton second baseman L.J. Mazzilli doesn't appear to have the footwork or the offense to profile at that position, and since he can't handle shortstop, he doesn't have a future as a utility infielder.

No. 6 among Mets prospects prior to the season, has had a disappointing year at the plate, hitting for less power in a neutral Double-A environment than he did in pitcher-friendly St. Lucie last year, but his 0-for-3 didn't tell me a ton about what's ailing him. I don't like how long his swing appeared to be -- he's letting his hands drift backward as he takes a short stride forward in the box -- but I can't tell you if that's the reason he has become a ground ball machine.

• Binghamton starter Rainy Lara was in the 89-93 mph range, with good tailing life and a fringe-average slider at 81-84, but he has a reliever's delivery all the way from the low slot to the short arm swing.

• Trenton starter Brady Lail showed a solid-average fastball/curveball combination and pounded the zone all night, helped by some very tired hitters on the Binghamton side (the two clubs played 17 innings the night before). His fastball was 91-94 early and 89-92 late, with no life but some downhill plane from a high three-quarters slot. There's some head violence in his delivery, and the few changeups he threw were too firm. He's a fair ground ball guy now who throws a lot of strikes, and could profile as a fifth starter with a better third pitch -- he's a good candidate for a difference in splits given his arm slot -- or a good two-pitch reliever if not.

• The trade that brought Juan Uribe and Kelly Johnson to the Mets saw them send two minor league arms who wouldn't have made the team's top 20 to Atlanta, which is fitting considering the two players they acquired are both bench pieces barely better than replacement-level (yet apparently good enough to hit cleanup for the major league team right now). John Gant is a right-handed starter who projects as a middle guy in the majors, while Robert Whalen has a chance to be a fifth starter-type along the lines of Dillon Gee if he can improve his command and control by a full grade.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Kentucky will dominate the NBA more than UCLA ever did

In a parallel universe, the state of Kentucky has been dominating the NBA for years. Back in 1976, when the six remaining teams in the fledgling American Basketball Association (ABA) were negotiating for survival, the Kentucky Colonels were left out of the mix. Kentucky had enjoyed a stable history -- by ABA standards -- and its Hubie Brown-coached 1975 league champions might have been the best team produced by the upstart league, one that could have rivaled the best the NBA had to offer at the time. Somewhere in the multiverse, those Colonels held on to Brown, along with star players Dan Issel and Artis Gilmore, entered the NBA and became a respected franchise in the mold of today's San Antonio Spurs.

In the universe in which we actually reside, the Colonels are mostly forgotten in NBA circles. Yet Kentucky's long tradition as an epicenter of basketball is as intact as ever. In fact, the number of impact professional players the University of Kentucky has churned out under coach John Calipari has grown so immense that the influence of the Bluegrass State on the NBA is perhaps greater now than it would have ever been had the Colonels made the cut 40 years ago.

This is all evident on the surface. The NBA is coming off a draft in which Kentucky had four first-rounders, including No. 1 pick Karl-Anthony Towns, and two second-rounders. During the summer, undrafted Wildcats player Aaron Harrison latched onto theCharlotte Hornets and now seems like a good bet to give the league seven rookies from Kentucky during the 2015-16 season. Three of the past six No. 1 picks have come out of Kentucky, and if you go back to Derrick Rose in 2008 (out of Memphis), four of the past eight top selections have been Calipari players. Towns enters the season as a prime challenger for rookie of the year honors, while New Orleans Pelicans superstar Anthony Davis is poised to join Rose as Calipari's second NBA MVP.

Despite all this, I still wonder if we realize the extent to which Kentucky's presence has become so pervasive at the NBA level. Let me jump back for a moment, to when this story began for me on draft night last month. Strangely enough, the spark came from the improbable predilection Phoenix Suns general manager Ryan McDonough shows for Calipari guards. The Suns went into draft night with a projected starting backcourt of former Wildcats Eric Bledsoe and Brandon Knight. Meanwhile, Archie Goodwin will be entering his third season as a key reserve guard.

That trio of Wildcats wasn't enough for the Suns. When Phoenix picked at No. 13, McDonough made Devin Booker the fourth Kentucky pick of the first round. Later came my eureka moment, when in the second round the Suns took Aaron's twin brother, Andrew Harrison, at No. 44. Five Kentucky guards in one team's backcourt rotation! Then it occurred to me that maybe we were at a tipping point, where Calipari was churning out so many NBA players that it was impossible for them not to cluster on the rosters of at least a few teams.

Andrew Harrison was traded that same night to Memphis, but it hardly took the wind out of my sails. This all goes back to when I was first getting into the NBA as a kid and played a card-based simulation game called Statis Pro Basketball. If that seems like questionable training for a future NBA analyst, you should know that at least one up-and-coming league executive used to play the same game, and I'm pretty sure he's not alone. Anyway, I liked to sort the cards into teams based on college affiliation, and would play games between schools with at least five players. Soon, that became dull because of UCLA's domination. The Bruins had so many productive NBA players at the time that I could have divided them up into two really strong teams.

That's what Kentucky is becoming today, a force similar to what UCLA was to the league back in the 1970s and '80s. While Calipari might not be able to rival coach John Wooden in terms of NCAA championships (nor would Wooden rival himself in the modern college hoops landscape), his influence on the pro game has become every bit as impressive.

Realizing this was an abstract notion, I set out to put some numbers behind the thought. My favorite bottom-line metric, WARP, is only calculated through the NBA's 3-point era, so I raided the indexes of Basketball-Reference.com for win shares data, which is available for the entirety of the league's history. That was easy enough, but merging the data with a logistical database that lists where all those players have come from -- that took some time, and a lot of tedious cleanup of mismatched text strings. I ended up with a massive table that told me how many win shares have come from each school (and high school, as the case may be, or country of origin for international players) for each season in NBA history.

The UCLA dominance I perceived as a kid was very, very real. Beginning in the 1969-70 season -- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's rookie year -- Wooden's players rose to the top of the NBA win shares list. Thanks to Wilt Chamberlain, Kansas had topped the list for much of the 1960s, though it was actually Indiana that held the No. 1 spot the year before UCLA took over. The Bruins proceeded to dominate the rankings for the next decade and a half, finishing No. 1 in every season through 1983-84. UCLA was then brushed aside by a long period of Michael Jordan/North Carolina dominance. Since then, the top slot has changed hands a number of times, with familiar blue-blood programs like UNC, UCLA and Duke usually winning out, but other programs like UConn, Georgetown and even Georgia Tech have taken a turn or two.

But not Kentucky. The Wildcats had a two-year run at No. 1 to close out the 1950s, led by Frank Ramsey and Cliff Hagan. However, Kentucky did not return to the top spot until the 2013-14 season, when it edged Duke, 58.7 win shares to 56.1. Last season, the Wildcats repeated with 64.3 win shares, far outdistancing North Carolina's 55.4. Davis' ascension goes a long way toward explaining the rise, but he's only part of the story.

Let's return to UCLA for a second. The Bruins' high-water mark was 71.3 win shares for the 1976-77 NBA season. UNC was No. 2 -- at 28.6. Former Bruin Bill Walton led the Portland Trail Blazers to the NBA crown that season, and Abdul-Jabbar was the league's best player. Jamaal Wilkes, Swen Nater and Sidney Wicks were other ex-Bruins producing at the time. Those 71.3 win shares stand as the record for one school in one season.

For now, anyway. Kentucky is coming on fast. Already, its totals for the past two seasons rank among the top 11 in league history.

Win shares in an NBA season
School Season Win Shares
1 UCLA 1976-77 71.3
2 Duke 2006-07 69.2
3 North Carolina 2000-01 68.9
4 UCLA 1977-78 68.3
5 Kentucky 2014-15 64.3
6 UCLA 1975-76 61.4
7 North Carolina 1990-91 60.7
8 North Carolina 1992-93 60.0
9 UCLA 1979-80 59.9
10 Arizona 2005-06 59.6
11 Kentucky 2013-14 58.7

That is indeed impressive, yet not as impressive as what might happen this season. To jump all this historical chatter back into the present, let me remind you of the obvious: Calipari most likely will have another seven rookies in the league this season. That could give Kentucky as many as 25 players in the NBA for 2015-16, though not all of them played for Calipari. That number is soft, as we don't know if Nazr Mohammed will find a spot this season, and there are a couple of fringe players on the list who might not make a roster. If they all play, there could be times this season when 5.6 percent of the possible available roster spots in the NBA will be filled by former Kentucky players.

The sheer number of players is impressive, but not as much as the quality. We mentioned Towns and Davis as possible award winners. Yet John Wall, Bledsoe and DeMarcus Cousins could all join Davis in the top 15-20 on the win shares board. And WARP, too, for that matter. In fact, I did some rough translations of my WARP projections into win shares. That's where the story gets really interesting.

Projected 2015-16 NBA win shares

School
Win Shares
1 Kentucky 90.3
2 UCLA 53.4
3 North Carolina 51.5
4 Wake Forest 44.7
5 Duke 39.0
6 Connecticut 33.8
7 Florida 33.1
8 Texas 30.9
9 Kansas 26.6
10 Marquette 26.6

The 25 former Kentucky players I've flagged as "active" collectively project to put up 90.3 win shares this season. Let me re-state that for emphasis, like I'm writing a big check: 90.3! Again, that is rough, as there is no systematic way to convert WARP into win shares, but it's close enough to make a clear conclusion: Calipari has the Wildcats poised to have more of an NBA presence this season than any other school has ever had in any season.

Given that the influx of Kentucky players isn't likely to stop anytime soon, and so many of the ones already in the NBA are on the upswing, it's safe to say that the Wildcats have embarked on a domination of the league that might not rival the UCLA dynasty in duration, but it certainly will in quality. This is historical stuff.