Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Trade Grades: Hardaway to Hawks

The Deal

Hawks get: Guard Tim Hardaway Jr. (from Knicks), two future second-round picks (from Wizards)

Knicks get: Rights to No. 19 pick (Jerian Grant)

Wizards get: Rights to No. 15 pick (Kelly Oubre)

Atlanta Hawks: D

i

The Hawks could use more shooting on the wing off the bench, and as an Eastern Conference contender it makes sense for Atlanta to add an older player capable of competing immediately. I just don't think Hardaway is that player. After a solid rookie season, Hardaway regressed badly in Year 2, making just 34.3 percent of his 3-pointers and posting a below-average true shooting percentage.

Hardaway needs to be a knockdown shooter because he's such a liability at the other end of the floor. ESPN's real plus-minus rated him 94th out of 100 qualifying shooting guards in defensive impact, a big reason Hardaway rated 3.4 points per 100 possessions -- worse than the league average overall.

Perhaps the Hawks believe that in their system they can develop Hardaway into a capable defender. If so, he should get more open looks in Atlanta than he did with the makeshift lineup he played with in New York. Consider me skeptical, but Mike Budenholzer and company can pull that off.

New York Knicks: A

i

Trading the 24th pick of the 2013 draft for the 19th pick in 2015 is almost always a good deal, since the Knicks have added two years of cost-controlled salary on the rookie contract. Add in the questions about Hardaway's ability to contribute defensively, and this deal was a no-brainer to me.

Washington Wizards: C

i

I made the case against trading up this morning, and by that chart, the Wizards surrendering a pair of future second-round picks to go up just five spots will probably score as a slight overpay. Washington can make the case that Oubre is a little more valuable than the 15th overall pick -- he was 12th on Chad Ford's big board -- and the second-round picks are replaceable using cash, so no complaint here.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Believe it: Knicks among NBA draft's winners, Sixers among losers

The 2015 NBA draft is in the books. I'll be back in the morning with full draft grades for all 30 teams. But in the meantime, here's my initial take on three teams that won the draft and three teams that lost.

Winners

i

New York Knicks

Hours before the draft if looked like the Knicks were going to screw this up. The team seemed unsure of itself if Karl-Anthony Towns, Jahlil Okafor and D'Angelo Russell were off the board. While Kristaps Porzingis was the best talent left on the board, no one, including me, really thought they'd actually take him. Knicks fans may have booed, but the Knicks may have very well gotten the second best talent in the draft. He may not dominate in Year 1, but Porzingis' talent is off the charts.

I also loved the trade that send Tim Hardaway Jr. to the Wizards for the draft rights to Jerian Grant. Grant is a big combo guard who can do everything. He's a good athlete, can get to the basket and is a solid shooter. He can defend multiple positions. I think personally, he was the third best point guard prospect in the draft. Athletic big man who can stretch the floor and protect the rim? Check. Versatile, high IQ point guard with size? Check. The Knicks got a lot better tonight.

i

Minnesota Timberwolves

The Wolves landed the best player in the draft. Period. There were other talents, but Towns is the one guy in this draft that has tons of upside and almost no downside. He can score from anywhere on the floor, rebounds and protects the rim and has an excellent work ethic. He may not look like the No. 1 pick from Day 1, but by mid-season everyone will see it.

The team also used two second-round picks to move up into the first and grab Tyus Jones. I'm not crazy about Jones as an elite point guard, but as a backup point guard? I love him. He's steady, rarely makes mistakes and is selfless. Paired Andrew Wiggins and Ricky Rubio the Wolves have an elite big man, an elite wing and two pass-first point guards to put them in a position to succeed. The Wolves are going to be very, very dangerous in a couple of years.

i

Miami Heat

The Heat got the steal of the draft when Justise Winslow fell to 10. I love Winslow's game and I love his fit with Miami. If Luol Deng leaves, or even if he doesn't, Winslow will be ready. He has a NBA body, plays his butt off and does all the little things that don't always show up in the box score. His slide reminds me of Kawhi Leonard falling to the Spurs a few years ago. Winslow might be disappointed he didn't go higher, but he went to the perfect fit for him. He can be an All-Star someday.

Losers

i

Philadelphia 76ers

Okafor is a talent. But once again the Sixers walk away from a season of tanking without the guy they wanted and without a clear plan forward. They may have wanted Joel Embiid last year, but not an injured Embiid (and an Embiid that one year later, still hasn't recovered). This year, Russell and Towns were their targets.

Instead they settle for the guy who, while talented, doesn't fit a need and doesn't have the transcendent talent they need. And for the third straight year they draft a center. At least he's not an injured one. With no guards or wings to really build around, the Sixers still seem years away from being anything more than a perennial loser in the lottery.

i

Sacramento Kings

The Kings have been losing all week as the front office, head coach, owner and DeMarcus Cousins all turn on each other. There isn't a more dysfunctional team in the league right now. More evidence arose on Thursday when they drafted Willie Cauley-Stein ahead ofEmmanuel Mudiay and Winslow. Cauley-Stein has tons of talent. He might be the Defensive Player of the Year someday. But there's a big might.

There are major questions ahead -- many more questions than there are for Mudiay or Winslow. With Cauley-Stein otherwise likely to fall all the way to the Suns at 13, it seems like the Kings were dead set on Cauley-Stein, and they could've moved back and drafted him lower. This wasn't a major mistake, but I think had the Kings actually scouted Mudiay this year, they would've made a different choice.

i

Detroit Pistons

Remember when the Rockets took Marcus Morris one spot before Leonard in 2011? I think that happened again when the Pistons took Stanley Johnson ahead of Winslow.

Reasonable minds can differ on Johnson. I differ. I'm not sold that Johnson is anything more than a solid role player who uses his great body and toughness to provide some muscle. Meanwhile Winslow was sitting on the board. Winslow has a chance to be an All-Star. While Johnson looks the part, Winslow plays the part. He does all the little things that make a team great. I think the Pistons made a mistake on Thursday and, in the process, gave the Heat a major gift at 10.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
i

Detroit Pistons

Remember when the Rockets took Marcus Morris one spot before Leonard in 2011? I think that happened again when the Pistons took Stanley Johnson ahead of Winslow.

Reasonable minds can differ on Johnson. I differ. I'm not sold that Johnson is anything more than a solid role player who uses his great body and toughness to provide some muscle. Meanwhile Winslow was sitting on the board. Winslow has a chance to be an All-Star. While Johnson looks the part, Winslow plays the part. He does all the little things that make a team great. I think the Pistons made a mistake on Thursday and, in the process, gave the Heat a major gift at 10.
:mjcry:

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
2016 draft sneak peek: Ben Simmons is the lone star in a weak class

We've had two straight stellar NBA drafts -- 2014 gave us four credible choices (Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, Dante Exum and Joel Embiid) at No. 1, and 2015 gave us five great picks (Karl-Anthony Towns, D'Angelo Russell, Jahlil Okafor, Kristaps Porzingis andEmmanuel Mudiay) at the top.

Those kinds of drafts don't come along very often, especially in back-to-back years. The 2016 draft looks considerably weaker.

Although it doesn't mean 2016 will be similar to 2013 (one of the worst drafts in the past decade), the talent drops off pretty quickly after the first three picks. The good news is the guy at the top, LSU freshman Ben Simmons, is tank-worthy and a potential franchise player.

To see our top 100 for 2016, click here.

The top 5 prospects

1. Ben Simmons, F, Fr., LSU

Simmons' game should fit great in the new NBA, which is obsessed with playmaking forwards. He has modeled his game after LeBron James. At 6-foot-10, 240 pounds, he likes to play like a point guard. He can handle the ball, has excellent floor vision and is a good enough athlete to get wherever he wants on the floor. He's not the athlete LeBron was and his jump shot needs improvement, but in my conversations with scouts and GMs (many of them drooled over him all week in practices at the Nike Hoop Summit), he was hands down the choice to be No. 1.

"If you understand the game of basketball," one GM said, "I don't know how you can watch him and not see a special, special basketball player. I'd take him over anyone in the 2015 NBA draft. He's just scratching the surface of what he could be."

2. Skal Labissiere, C, Fr., Kentucky

Simmons' top competition for the No. 1 pick will come from Labissiere, a 7-foot big man who will try to follow Anthony Davis and Towns as the next great Kentucky big man. Labissiere's stock soared in practices at the Nike Hoop Summit. He can score in the post and on the perimeter (although given the way John Calipari coaches, I think we'll just see his post game in 2015-16 at Kentucky), and he's skilled as both a rebounder and rim protector. However, Labissiere isn't the athlete that Davis is, nor does he have that elite length. That makes a difference when projecting his ceiling.

"He's the only big man I'm really excited about in [next] year's draft," one GM told me. "There are several other solid ones, but he's the only one that I think has a chance to be really good. My only issue is that his ceiling, I think, is really good. I'm not sure he's an elite enough athlete to ever make it to great."

3. Jaylen Brown, G/F, Fr., Cal

Brown is the athletic freak. He has the body of a NFL linebacker (think Stanley Johnson) and explosive athletic ability. He can jump out of the gym. He has a 7-1 wingspan and is fearless attacking the rim. If he can hone his jump shot (he's made some major improvements in the past year) and play in attack mode all the time (he can be a bit passive), he'll have superstar written all over him.

"He's a power wing," one NBA GM said, "with an emphasis on power. I'm not sure I've seen a kid with his body and explosiveness at his age. If the basketball part catches up to the physical gifts he has, he's going to have a very successful NBA career."

4. Brandon Ingram, SF, Fr., Duke

After Simmons, Labissiere and Brown, there's a drop-off. Ingram's stock has been steadily rising this spring. He has elite size (6-10 with a 7-3 wingspan) for his position and a great jumper, and he is a very good athlete. Skinny doesn't quite do his skeletal frame justice, though. He'll have to add a ton of weight to make an impact in the NBA.

5. Malik Pope, SF, So, San Diego State

Pope is the most controversial selection here. A number of NBA GMs and scouts have him ranked this high; others have him in the 20s. He impressed on his first day at the under-19s tryouts for Team USA but was then cut from the team. The physical tools are there for him to be a dominant pro. He has great size and athletic ability for his position and can stroke from deep. He and Ingram are similar in many ways. He just lacks lots of game experience after missing his last two years of high school with a broken leg and playing a supporting role off the bench as a freshman. He could've been a late-lottery to mid-first-round pick had he declared for the 2015 draft. If his game expands this season, the talent is top-five for sure.

Major themes of the 2016 class

As you get ready to dig into our initial 2016 Top 100, which will debut in a couple of weeks, here's a look at four themes for next year's draft:

1. A so-so freshman class

Freshmen will continue to have a huge impact. NBA commissioner Adam Silver is trying to change that, but for now, one-and-dones are the true stars of the draft. In2015, eight freshmen -- Towns, Russell, Okafor, Johnson, Winslow, Myles Turner, Trey Lyles and Devin Booker -- went in the lottery. In 2016, we are projecting another eight -- Simmons, Labissiere, Brown, Ingram, Maryland's Diamond Stone, Marquette's Henry Ellenson, Kansas' Cheick Diallo and Mississippi State's Malik Newman -- to make it into the lottery.

Six other freshmen -- UK's Jamal Murray and Isaiah Briscoe, LSU's Antonio Blakeney, Cal's Ivan Rabb, Duke's Derryck Thornton and UNLV's Stephen Zimmerman -- are possible first-rounders.

Clearly, the numbers are there. But the quality? After Simmons, Labissiere, Brown and maybe Ingram, none of those other players would've cracked the lottery in the 2015 draft. Overall, this recruiting class was seen as one of the weakest in the past decade. There just aren't a lot of game-changers -- at least not yet.

2. A depleted sophomore and junior class

Only a small handful of talented players decided to skip the 2015 draft and return to college. Just about everyone with a shot at the first round threw his hat into the ring. Only two returning college players -- Pope and Utah's Jakob Poeltl -- ended up cracking our top 10.

However, a number of interesting returning players should be in this draft. We're projecting Notre Dame's Demetrius Jackson and Kansas' Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk as potential lottery picks in 2016. Several other returning players, including Duke's Grayson Allen, Providence's Kris Dunn, Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes, North Carolina's Justin Jackson, Gonzaga's Domantas Sabonis, Michigan's Caris LeVert and Georgetown's Isaac Copeland, could all end up in the middle of the first round and possibly higher, with excellent seasons.

3. A solid crop of international prospects

The 2015 international draft class was strong at the top. Porzingis and Croatia's Mario Hezonja went in the top five. But after that, there was a severe drop-off.

The good news is the 2016 international class has more depth than the 2015 class did. The bad news is it lacks the star power at the top.

Croatian forward Dragan Bender could become a top-10 pick. Turkish guard Furkan Korkmaz, China's Zhou Qi and forward Egemen Guven are potential late-lottery picks to mid-first-rounders. In addition, France's Alpha Kaba, Timothe Luwawu and Petr Cornelieare potential first-rounders.

4. 3s and 5s rule the draft

In 2016, five small forwards and four centers take nine spaces in our top 10.

Overall, we have eight small forwards, seven power forwards, five shooting guards, five centers and five point guards going in the first round.

The NBA is dominated by guards, but in this draft, the guards are hard to come by.

The hunt for elite point guards will be especially difficult this year. We don't have one point guard ranked in the lottery right now. And we don't have any shooting guards ranked in the top 10.

The pick situation

Another key to look at as we assess the 2016 draft: Which teams have their picks, have multiple picks or are out of the draft?

The Sixers and Celtics could each own four first-round picks in 2016. The Nuggets could have three first-rounders.

The only two teams that are completely out of the draft next year are the Brooklyn Nets and New York Knicks. However, several teams might have to give up picks depending on their records. Here's a look at other picks in 2016 that could be on the move:

• The Sixers own the Lakers' pick (if it falls between 4-30), the Heat's pick (if it falls between 11-30) and the Thunder's pick (if it falls between 16-30).

• The Celtics own the Nets' pick, the Mavs' pick (if it falls between 8-30) and possibly the Wolves pick (if it falls between 13-30).

• The Nuggets can swap picks with the Knicks next year, and they own the Blazers' pick (if it falls between 15-30) and possibly the Grizzlies' pick (if it falls between 6-14).

• The Raptors own the Knicks' pick (which will come from New York or Denver -- see above).

• The Suns own the Cavs' pick (if it falls between 11-30).

Overall, the 2016 draft class is rounding out to be pretty solid -- somewhere between those of 2014 and 2013. The bigs are the appeal, but there just isn't a lot of star power here outside of Simmons.

Luckily, it can get better. Some players we're not yet talking about will rise -- that happens every year. Noah Vonleh and Nik Stauskas weren't listed as lottery picks before the 2013-14 season, for example. As the camps and international tournaments get underway, look for further reports, including regular Big Boards, updates to the Top 100, Ford-Bilas and Ford-Pelton debates, mock drafts and more in our year-round draft coverage.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Top 5 potential one-and-dones

The 2015 NBA draft is in the books, and as we analyze each team's draft class, it is also time to look to next year's draft -- in particular the incoming college freshmen whom we'll be talking about this time next year. Below is a list of five guys whose performances, predicted productivity level in college and NBA potential make them one-and-done material and likely high-level picks.

What makes this class special is the amount of size in the frontcourt, and if the five players below compete and help their teams win, they should hear their names called very early in the 2016 NBA draft:

99.gif

1. Ben Simmons | PF | LSU Tigers

Simmons has all the physical tools, athletic ability and skill you could want from a prospect. His versatility will help him thrive in the NBA -- he is a major threat in the conversion game as a finisher or a facilitator, but what makes him special is his passing and playmaking ability. He moves the ball to get others involved and can make the assist. While not a point guard, Simmons owns an innate ability to read the floor and make a spot-on pass at a moment's notice.

When it comes to scoring, Simmons is a true mismatch because he takes big men away from the basket, beats them off the bounce and also has range to 20 feet. When similar-sized defenders attempt to cover him, he can operate from the mid and low post with mobility, bounce and touch. Meanwhile, he has become a much more consistent rebounder and shot-blocker as his body has developed. The No. 1 player in the Class of 2015, Simmons would have been a top-five pick if he had been in Thursday's draft.

96.gif

2. Skal Labissiere | C | Kentucky Wildcats

Labissiere's is a name many don't know yet, but will once the college basketball season begins and he steps on the floor in Kentucky. What makes this emerging post a desirable prospect is that he is a 7-footer who can shoot the ball with range and accuracy. Labissiere has great touch to step out behind the arc and make 3s, or go inside and score with a jump hook.

On the other end, he blocks shots with significant wingspan and reach, and is a solid rebounder in his area -- though right now he has more length than strength. Labissiere needs to get stronger, especially in his lower body, to be able to maintain leverage in the post. In front of NBA general managers and scouts at the Nike Hoop Summit, he demonstrated skill, 3-point shooting and defensive mobility. Labissiere's best basketball is clearly ahead of him, and he has a chance to be the No. 1 pick in the 2016 draft if he changes his body and proves he can produce at a high level.

150.gif

3. Brandon Ingram | SF | Duke Blue Devils

Ingram has improved each year, to the point where he skyrocketed up our board and finished as the third-best prospect in the 2015 class. He oozes with upside because he is a pogo stick of an athlete with versatility. Ingram drives for baskets and covers ground with one dribble better than anyone else in the college game. He combines that part of his game with fluid 3-point shooting and an ability to get buckets in the paint. Ingram can play and produce in a high-possession game or a grind-it-out affair, as he can score and shoot over defenders.

Blessed with an extremely long frame, Ingram has the physical tools to be a good defender but that is an area of needed growth -- up to this point he has not been asked to be a committed defender. He's still painfully thin, so adding muscle will be vital to his overall development, but he's an elite prospect with great measurables (7-3 wingspan, 9-1½ standing reach), and is turning into an elite player. The NBA loves Ingram now, and should love him even more after his first year at Duke.

25.gif

4. Jaylen Brown | SF | Cal Golden Bears

Brown is the most powerful athlete among all college freshmen, and among the most powerful in all of college basketball. He's a monster on the open floor -- no one can finalize a play like Brown. He creates fouls on defenders; when he doesn't, you can find him somewhere inside the arc scoring -- he's an explosive straight-line driver with strong finishes. Brown's jumper is streaky from deep, yet more dependable from midrange.

Brown has plenty of physical ability to suggest he can become a strong defender, as he is all fast-twitch fibers and doesn't mind moving his feet. If his ball skills make progress and he continues to dominate inside the paint and on the glass, Brown will be a lottery pick in 2016.

269.gif

5. Henry Ellenson | PF | Marquette Golden Eagles

Ellenson is one of the nation's best incoming college freshmen whom you don't hear enough about. Watching him over the years, I've marveled at the impressive combination of his scoring versatility, power forward size and mobility. Ellenson is another big man with skill who can score both inside and outside with effectiveness.

He needs to show he will be a committed defender and can get himself in top physical condition. When that happens, Marquette will have a difference-maker who should be highly productive. NBA scouts need to be in Milwaukee this season.

Five more names to keep an eye on

Diamond Stone | C | Maryland Terrapins
Malik Newman | SG | Mississippi State Bulldogs
Ivan Rabb | PF | Cal Golden Bears
Stephen Zimmerman | C | UNLV Rebels
Dwayne Bacon | SG | Florida State Seminoles