The Official Drone Thread

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
This thread is going to be all about drones. Information on new releases, reviews, what you have, what you would like help/info with, drone shots and drone footage.

I'll start it off with my introduction:

I'm located in Richmond, VA area but I'm a world traveler

Been into drones for about 2 years now

Currently own a DJI Phantom 4 Pro & DJI Mavic Air

I also own a clothing company, which I won't promote, but we also have DJI Mavic Pro & DJI Spark on the roster.

Here's a few of my latest shots, but I will upload more photo and video once I take them off our page. I hope we can keep this thread thriving, as I know a lot of us are into drones these days

@shutterguy @LV Koopa @Kamikaze Revy @It is a mystery @el_oh_el @RetroGrade @Piffiztheanswer @Thoughtspeak @Based_Beazy @thernbroom @Rose Gold

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
What specs are most important when copping a drone?
depends on what you're going to be using it for... but if i had to say in general

SIGNAL STRENGTH... if you can't control your drone, can't find it, can't bring it home, can't record home point, doesn't have failsafes, etc etc etc.......... then anything else it can do is worthless. you want dual bands (2.4, 5.8), and a long range of at least a mile... preferably over radio signals

camera quality.. no point in doing all this if your footage looks like crap. you want 1080p minimum at 30 frames. watch some video to compare low light, bright light, distance, etc

size... i bought my mavic air after trying to lug around that phantom 4 on vacation. while everything is better on the phantom, unless i'm doing local shoots, it's a bytch to carry around. TO ME, it was worth it to spend 600 less, with a slightly lesser camera, than try to carry a 40 pound backpack everytime i wanted to go out

battery length. 30 mins is great.. but some might get you 10-15 mins.. now considering you need time to get it up, get your shot set up, shoot the shot, and get it home safely.... 15 mins quickly turns into 5-6 minutes of actual shoot time, before you got to bring it home and stick in another battery

after that its all speed, software, extra features.... those are the main stays

thernbroom

Superstar
Daps
Cheers will upload photos later did you register your drone?

Took my spark out for the 2nd time on my holidays and had a crash in the field full speed :damn:

i was lucky no damage :whew:

thernbroom

Superstar
Daps
screen_ebed46ec8d3c5cc7_1523988624000.jpg

Last edited:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Cheers will upload photos later did you register your drone?

Took my spark out for the 2nd time on my holidays and had a crash in the field full speed :damn:

i was lucky no damage :whew:
sure i did :mjgrin:

just don't do anything that would require them to look into your drone. b4ufly is a good app that'll give you no fly zones and weather conditions

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
The guy I started the brand management business with has a Mavic Pro.
He also has the FAA certification which helps with getting certain gigs.
He recently landed a job doing realty shots and they required the FAA certification.
Be careful with flying these drones. It isn't as simple as buying one and flying it where ever you want.
I've read a few horror stories about people being fined for flying where they aren't supposed to, or without clearance.
Heard they were even catching people from videos they uploaded online and tracking them down.
Maybe some exaggerations there a bit, but the reality is, if you get caught the fines can be heavy.
Get educated on when, and where you can fly the drone before going crazy with it.
The government is supposedly working on an app that will allow drone pilots to get nearly instant airspace approval for flights 200 feet and below, which 200 is high as hell as is and would be sufficient for most people unless you were trying to shoot in a big city with huge buildings.

I have experience with the Mavic Pro and the Phantom 4.
Both great drones. I prefer the Mavic Pro for the portability, and the camera is great too.
I don't feel cheated in comparison to the Phantom.