The Official DC/Maryland/Virginia Area Thread

DaPresident

Miami Hurricanes football fan...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Miami Hurricanes,Dallas Cowboys, St. John's, DMV
If you were gonna throw some type of city wide FAMILY FRIENDLY event in DC, what would you do?

Battle of the Gogo Bands?
Half Smoke eating contest?
Mumbo Sauce Wings Battle?
New Balance and Nike Boots fashion show/show down?

Round my way, Unc n'nem like to cook out behind the old Malcolm X school, or down by the park @ Wheeler and Mississippi (Officially Oxon Run, unofficially? I have no idea)

I work a farmers market over there on Fridays 3 - 6 pm wheeler and Valley Ave…

Saw a cat get gunned down last year right on the side where the baseball field is smh…

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I work a farmers market over there on Fridays 3 - 6 pm wheeler and Valley Ave…

Saw a cat get gunned down last year right on the side where the baseball field is smh…
Heard about a cat getting clapped over that way 30 years ago.

Thought they cleaned that area up. shyt was prime land the houses over there by the old Linda Pollin Projects was decent and even back then I knew some bougie broads who lived over there.

MaxPain

Hispaniola Exchange Student
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where It’s Not Safe
I think it’s hilarious how back in the day, the boujee outer beltway ft washington/bowie etc crowd stayed wagging their fingers at all us DC guys to blame for crime.

But in the midst in one of all these carjackings & murders going on right now, half of the suspects are from good neighborhoods (Bowie, Ft Washington, Clinton etc).

And yeah, we did run thru PG & Waldorf , but it was different. The circle I knew just got some motel or joint on section 8 in a nice area, and rounded up $$$. We kinda knew not to be “hot”, but Maryland kids ALWAYS did the most. We always had a guy in the set from a nice area, who ended up crashing out to prove something.

Remember, being hot in the city is the last thing you wanna do since most of us grew up running from cop jumpouts & paddy wagons.

Im speaking up for DC bc we get blamed for everything.

Last edited:

2legit

Superstar
Daps
Even talking about Gogo's is way different. Again I low key understood why they kept DC separated from Washington because old non Bougie Go Go is a thousand times different than anything that could be played at any venue west of the river.

To keep it a buck If they had a Go Go at the kennedy center I wouldn't go.

Again I could blame gentrification but its the passing of eras where different cities had their own mircocultures not this homogenized urban culture where everyone likes the same thing.

Again maybe I'm a flabbyhead because gone are the days when at a big show with established artists the Go Go act always closed the show or they had to collaborate with a local band.

I remember the last time this happened was in Kelly Rowland go upstaged by I think Familiar Faces or some other bougie Go Go act.

She was right to be upset because I believe that no one would add a Go Go band to any show nowadays mainly because the shyt ain't popular with the youth

But that leads me back to the gentrification thing there's no clubs in the hood where nikkas get beat up or shot and no one says anyting those days are long gone with never seeing a white person in South east and Madness hats.
I wish DC Go Go Bands made more cover songs. Adding a Go Go Beat added a soulful touch to Adele's soulful voice. More songs need a Go Go glowup

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
I wish DC Go Go Bands made more cover songs. Adding a Go Go Beat added a soulful touch to Adele's soulful voice. More songs need a Go Go glowup

Bands have been doing covers since the 80's, but you had to go to the show to hear them unless you got the P.A. tape. You used to have to go to P.A. Palace to cop tapes or buy tapes at the shows, but now you can search YouTube to find some covers that crank way harder than the original songs:

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps

They literally did this all the time. I thought Chuck Brown made Bustin' Loose

Here's the cover version of Funny

here's the orginal

here's Gogo from the flabbyhead era doing the same thing