MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Superman wasn't really a character tho, other characters would tell him things (instructing the audience) and this would lead to furthering a plot point but his motivation and characterisation wasn't as well flesh out out as WW. You walked out of WW knowing who Diana was and why she turned her back on mankind. After 2 movies with superman I still don't know anything about him other than he would save Lois before saving 100 unknowns in a burning building

Yeah one being more effective than the other doesn't mean they're not similar.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Yeah one being more effective than the other doesn't mean they're not similar.
There are only so many super hero movie tropes for us to split heirs about. You were better off just making the donner superman connection and leaving it there

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You were better off just making the donner superman connection and leaving it there

Again you're arguing effectiveness over similarity. Wonder Woman being a more effective movie doesn't mean it isn't similar to man of steel. They both tackle the same themes the same subject matter and even have a villain with a similar cause. They both deconstruct the nature of a hero and mankind and how it all works together but Diana doesn't have the same issue with accepting who she is and what she's about. She's not apprehensive like Clark in man of steel.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Again you're arguing effectiveness over similarity. Wonder Woman being a more effective movie doesn't mean it isn't similar to man of steel. They both tackle the same themes the same subject matter and even have a villain with a similar cause. They both deconstruct the nature of a hero and mankind and how it all works together but Diana doesn't have the same issue with accepting who she is and what she's about. She's not apprehensive like Clark in man of steel.
And that's because Diana was raised by warriors to be a warrior to fight for a cause.

Clark is raised by apprehensive parents unsure of how the world will react to him. So naturally clark carries those same apprehensions.

I watched MOS and BVS again and man I love those films

For my money BVS is the most misunderstood cbm of all time.

Like batman for example.

MOS and BVS deal with how the real world would react to the presence of superman. BVS continues that and shows how a real world batman would react.

The people who say that was a bad representation of batman completely miss the point of the film.

The point is to show that batman is acting out of character. Batman is a villain in the film.

This reaches it's conclusion with probably the most misunderstood scene of all time in the Martha scene.

When Bruce heard Martha it took him back to his parents murder and he suddenly snapped out of it and realized that he had become the villain,the entire point of his arc was to show him acting out of character and that moment was the turning point to him.

And as far superman,it's extremely obvious that he represented christ,even dying for humanity in the end.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either batman or superman's portrayals in the film's, nor is there anything wrong with the Martha scene.

Even little things like that skull imagery that zack just confirmed show how many layers the film's have. Problem is most people don't want layers in these films,they want a punch line every 5 minutes.

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
And that's because Diana was raised by warriors to be a warrior to fight for a cause.

Clark is raised by apprehensive parents unsure of how the world will react to him. So naturally clark carries those same apprehensions.

Like batman for example.

MOS and BVS deal with how the real world would react to the presence of superman. BVS continues that and shows how a real world batman would react.

The people who say that was a bad representation of batman completely miss the point of the film.

The point is to show that batman is acting out of character. Batman is a villain in the film.

This reaches it's conclusion with probably the most misunderstood scene of all time in the Martha scene.

When Bruce heard Martha it took him back to his parents murder and he suddenly snapped out of it and realized that he had become the villain,the entire point of his arc was to show him acting out of character and that moment was the turning point to him.

And as far superman,it's extremely obvious that he represented christ,even dying for humanity in the end.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either batman or superman's portrayals in the film's, nor is there anything wrong with the Martha scene.

Even little things like that skull imagery that zack just confirmed show how many layers the film's have. Problem is most people don't want layers in these films,they want a punch line every 5 minutes.

I agree with a lot of this but I felt Superman should've been the one to bring Batman back from the edge. In the uncut version, they show Clark Kent observing and collecting any information on Batman. As shown at the beginning of their fight Superman already knew Batman was Bruce Wayne. I felt before Superman was about to get impaled by Batman, Superman could've given a speech telling Bruce this isn't who your parents wanted to be you can be the hero you once were if you believe in people again. Since a major arc, Batman had to go through was his loss of faith and hope resulting in his aggressive behavior. That way it further completes Superman's metamorphosis into the iconic hopeful optimistic hero. The movie has a lot of interesting themes I wish it could've found a way to make the movie a little tighter editing wise.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
I agree with a lot of this but I felt Superman should've been the one to bring Batman back from the edge. In the uncut version, they show Clark Kent observing and collecting any information on Batman. As shown at the beginning of their fight Superman already knew Batman was Bruce Wayne. I felt before Superman was about to get impaled by Batman, Superman could've given a speech telling Bruce this isn't who your parents wanted to be you can be the hero you once were if you believe in people again. Since a major arc, Batman had to go through was his loss of faith and hope resulting in his aggressive behavior. That way it further completes Superman's metamorphosis into the iconic hopeful optimistic hero. The movie has a lot of interesting themes I wish it could've found a way to make the movie a little tighter editing wise.

Good point.

I do think that Superman was actually going there. As soon as he lands he starts "Bruce we should talk" but Batman just unloads all that shyt on him, and it's not something he can shrugg off as we see him struggling with those soundwaves/turrets.

It further reinforces that Batman is the aggressor/villain in this fight.

Would've been cool to see what Superman would've said if it was just a dialogue indeed.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Bvs
Mos
WW
SS

For me.

SS the only film I don't like. I remember not minding it the first time,thought still liking it less than Mos and bvs.

But that 2nd watch was rough. There's still things I like in it,but as a film it's :trash:

Like I noted above,it was very interesting to me that johns and berg basically shyt on ss but the only thing they said about bvs was the tone wasn't what audiences wanted.

Disgustya Stallone

Man Who Owns 2 Microwaves
Daps

Like batman for example.

Jesus breh, your post gave me chills no jomo

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bvs
Mos
WW
SS

For me.

SS the only film I don't like. I remember not minding it the first time,thought still liking it less than Mos and bvs.

But that 2nd watch was rough. There's still things I like in it,but as a film it's :trash:

Like I noted above,it was very interesting to me that johns and berg basically shyt on ss but the only thing they said about bvs was the tone wasn't what audiences wanted.

that's the rankings i have for the movies so far as well....still think bvs was the best comic book movie the year it released, and is one of the best period.....

i like ss though...it's entertaining to me.....

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I think the only thing with the Martha scene is it could have been massaged and "dumbed down" for audiences. When people don't understand something they have a tendency to dismiss it as stupid.

Maybe they could have inserted a brief flashback to his dad saying Martha, along with some relevant Alfred dialogue over laid to give audiences the nudge as to what was happening.

I appreciate they didn't overly hand hold but at the same time,it's a summer blockbuster so you have to.

In any case,I doubt we see another cbm like bvs for a long,long time.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I think the only thing with the Martha scene is it could have been massaged and "dumbed down" for audiences. When people don't understand something they have a tendency to dismiss it as stupid.

Maybe they could have inserted a brief flashback to his dad saying Martha, along with some relevant Alfred dialogue over laid to give audiences the nudge as to what was happening.

I appreciate they didn't overly hand hold but at the same time,it's a summer blockbuster so you have to.

In any case,I doubt we see another cbm like bvs for a long,long time.

We live in an age now where people will for whatever reason claim to be huge Batman or Superman fans but their only exposure is the animated series or video games or the Nolan films or the Burton films so they will say "this was stupid" or didn't make sense or wasn't "true to the character" but they didn't read in the comics where all the Martha shyt has been an ongoing even joke at times.. so they talk shyt but they don't know.

It's easier for them to digest say Iron Man because Downey's portrayal is probably all they know.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
We live in an age now where people will for whatever reason claim to be huge Batman or Superman fans but their only exposure is the animated series or video games or the Nolan films or the Burton films so they will say "this was stupid" or didn't make sense or wasn't "true to the character" but they didn't read in the comics where all the Martha shyt has been an ongoing even joke at times.. so they talk shyt but they don't know.

It's easier for them to digest say Iron Man because Downey's portrayal is probably all they know.
More well known characters are definitely held to a different standard where people won't accept change beyond what they grew up with.

Lesser known characters can be completely changed and people don't care