Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
John Byrne Describes Marvel's Casual Racism In The Seventies

We're not talking Luke Cage's "Sweet Christmas" exclamations here. But in a discussion on the Byrne Robotics board about offense in comics, starting with the rejection by DC of the previously-approved Swamp Thing #88, John Byrne gave his recollection of Marvel offices back in the day.
I have commented before, on more than one occasion, that some of the current "generation", so eager to take offense at everything and anything, would suffer a severe case of exploding headitis, if they could time travel back to Marvel in the Seventies. Then the thinking was informed almost entirely by the eternally non-PC NATIONAL LAMPOON, and it seemed that no one could ever really be offended by things that were so totally off the wall -- so utterly and deliberately extreme. Some example (and watch these get ME in trouble now!):

? It was the habit in the Office to refer to CAPTAIN AMERICA AND THE FALCON as "Captain America and the Fowl c00n".

? Black Goliath was frequently referred to as "The Big Nig".

? One writer expressed his desire to do a Black Goliath story titled "The Jig is Up".

? Another wanted to put the credit names on furniture on the opening splash of an issue he scripted, so the name of a Jewish member of the team could be lettered on a lampshade.

? And, of course, the various examples of "fukk", "shyt", and other such words worked into backgrounds are infamous.

And if there was anyone who didn't think these were "funny", they sure didn't say anything about it at the time!*

:pacspit:@Marvel's so called 'progressive' mentality when they were racists as fukk back in the day.

not that surprising. The way they fukked up the Falcon origin is any indication.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
I don't understand...how is Logan still alive without the healing factor? The Adamantium should have killed him within a few days of that whole thing with Sabertooth

To be 100% honest the "Adamantium Poisoning" was only due to the Weapon X program bonding the metal incorrectly. After Apocalypse rebonded it, he did it correctly in a fashion that took care of the poison thus he kept the healing factor increase plus the metal.

Of course, this may have been forgotten details over the years, but I digress...

TNC

Hardbody
Daps

We're not talking Luke Cage's "Sweet Christmas" exclamations here. But in a discussion on the Byrne Robotics board about offense in comics, starting with the rejection by DC of the previously-approved Swamp Thing #88, John Byrne gave his recollection of Marvel offices back in the day.
I have commented before, on more than one occasion, that some of the current "generation", so eager to take offense at everything and anything, would suffer a severe case of exploding headitis, if they could time travel back to Marvel in the Seventies. Then the thinking was informed almost entirely by the eternally non-PC NATIONAL LAMPOON, and it seemed that no one could ever really be offended by things that were so totally off the wall -- so utterly and deliberately extreme. Some example (and watch these get ME in trouble now!):

? It was the habit in the Office to refer to CAPTAIN AMERICA AND THE FALCON as "Captain America and the Fowl c00n".

? One writer expressed his desire to do a Black Goliath story titled "The Jig is Up".

? Another wanted to put the credit names on furniture on the opening splash of an issue he scripted, so the name of a Jewish member of the team could be lettered on a lampshade.

? And, of course, the various examples of "fukk", "shyt", and other such words worked into backgrounds are infamous.

And if there was anyone who didn't think these were "funny", they sure didn't say anything about it at the time!*

:pacspit:@Marvel's so called 'progressive' mentality when they were racists as fukk back in the day.

Cacs gon Cac

This culture of carelessness is what CREATED this ultra PC culture we now live in. White men have no one to blame but themselves

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
To be 100% honest the "Adamantium Poisoning" was only due to the Weapon X program bonding the metal incorrectly. After Apocalypse rebonded it, he did it correctly in a fashion that took care of the poison thus he kept the healing factor increase plus the metal.

Of course, this may have been forgotten details over the years, but I digress...
Thus explaining this mofo being able to withstand nuclear level attacks and shyt :ehh:

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
Thus explaining this mofo being able to withstand nuclear level attacks and shyt :ehh:

More or less. Adamantium is still unbreakable and the original Weapon X process, Logan was the original experiment so it basically was cutting his healing factor down by like 60%, when he lost the Adamantium you got to see how that shyt was supposed to work at peak efficiency. Call it what you want but it made for a rational explaination for his power creep

JackM

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Geoff Johns did tha same "delay" crap with his ending of that "Blackest Night" crossover.

I should've known "Forever Evil" was gonna be stupid after that dum "Trinity War".

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps

____ gon ____. Fill in the blanks.

I know a lot of them dudes are still racist today. Frank Miller's crazy neocon ass definitely.

Anybody read that Astonishing X-Men issue a few years back that Warren Ellis wrote where he had Wolverine go into this condescending colonialist narrative about how fukked up Africans are? That irked me a bit and I stopped reading the book after that. It wasn't very good anyway. It was obvious Ellis was just using Wolverine as a ventriloquist dummy for his British cac colonialist mindset ranting.

I wonder about Rick Remender too with that c00ning he has Havok doing. To be fair, he did voice a more realistic counterargument (imo) via Rogue, so at least he's framing a layered debate with his foray into metaphorical politics.

But Havok is his guy he's propping up, so I tend to think he agrees more with that "don't call me ____, I'm just a human, I see no difference, blah, blah, blah" approach, which is a tacit acquiescence to oppression no matter what minority group says it.

Plus, dude just looks racist.

Rick_Remender.jpg

I know that sounds judgmental, but what's the over/under on how many times he's said ******?

I'm not gonna lie though. I did chuckle at "fowl c00n" :lolbron:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field

you're right.

I mean.... I never thought about it that way, but if Adamantium poisoning was a thing, Bullseye wouldn't have it grafted to his spine.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Anybody read that Astonishing X-Men issue a few years back that Warren Ellis wrote where he had Wolverine go into this condescending colonialist narrative about how fukked up Africans are? That irked me a bit and I stopped reading the book after that. It wasn't very good anyway. It was obvious Ellis was just using Wolverine as a ventriloquist dummy for his British cac colonialist mindset ranting.

I think I remember the story but I don't remember any of that shyt in particular. Then again, the only thing I remember about Ellis' Astonishing X-Men was that he literally turned every character into an a$$hole. Like it was just 20+ pages of X-Men shytting on each other issue after issue. :dead:

New Avengers nearly killed me this week with Panther and Namor watching the faux-pas Justice League solve incursions on some :ohhh: shyt.

It's a damn shame they rushed through the final battle in DC Universe Vs. The Masters Of The Universe. They skipped out on a lot of potentially epic battles plus we never got to see Dark Orko in battle.