Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Yep, I find myself only reading it 'cause hes my childhood hero, not really for the quality of stories.

Best Marvel book in years? Gillen's Uncanny X-Men & Journey of Mystery shyts all over it breh, so does i.e. Punisher by Ennis and Rucka, Brubaker's Captain America, David's X-Factor and thats just from the top of my head

Man I have been trying to tell my homies how dope The Punisher has been lately captain America has been good too, I haven't read X-Factor tho

DMR

Killa
Daps
Man I have been trying to tell my homies how dope The Punisher has been lately captain America has been good too, I haven't read X-Factor tho

X-factor is the dopest x comics in years, start with 2005 madrox mini then every x-factor issue till now has been constantly superb

Peter David has many other classics under his belt, I highly recommend his Fallen Angel series, his run on Incredible Hulk and more lighthearted Young Justice

Rebel Soldier

He’s good
Daps
Reppin
Georgia
Hickman is writing Black Panther and Reed again :win:

NEWAVN2013001_DC11.jpg

Blog@Newsarama » Blog Archive » Hickman Reveals First Marvel NOW! NEW AVENGERS Details

This sounds real good.

It'll be good to see Panther written well after what happened in AVX.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Glad to see Panther in the foreground of that pic...He needs to be portrayed as the boss of all bosses like he was during Priest's run.

I can't say enough how much I appreciate reading that Hickman is going to spotlight characters who DON'T have their own books in Avengers. Nothing I hate more than character who already has 3 or 4 books hogging the spotlight in a team book too.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
If you're reading the original Age of Apocalypse, then you need to find a copy of the Legion Quest TPB and read that first, as that will tell you all of the whys of how that came to be in one respect.

Or you can read a summary of it here: UncannyXmen.Net - For the Fans, By the Fans

Cliffs notes: Legion (Xavier's son from the first New Mutants series, long story), a schizophrenic, gets his head together long enough to get the idea that the world would be a better place with Magneto dead. So he time travels back 20 years, back when Xavier and Magneto were still friends in Israel, to kill him, and a few X-Men follow him. Memory loss and shenanigans, some involving the M'Krann Crystal, follow, with the end result being Legion botching the assassination and killing his father by mistake.

Apocalypse was watching this whole thing, and decided, based on a wrongheaded assessment of the emergence of mutants (remember, time travel), to reveal himself 20 years earlier than he did. So instead of X-Factor (the original X-Men) being present to stop him, nobody was ready, and he basically razed North America as a result. That's where the world of AoA stems from.

Comics-wise, they basically stopped all the main series at the time (Cable, Excalibur, Generation X, Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine, X-Factor, X-Force, X-Men and X-Men Unlimited) and replaced them with 4 issue long miniseries with different focuses (Spoiler tagged due to light spoilers, if you haven't read it yet):

In respective order: X-Man [Thank this for Nate Grey. Cable never existed because Cyclops and Jean Grey never met, so there was no hope for a Madelyne Pryor existing], X-Calibre [About Nightcrawler, Mystique and Destiny in the Savage Land], Generation Next [Colossus and Kitty Pryde train the next generation, consisting of the Generation X sans Jubilee], Astonishing X-Men, Weapon X [Wolverine was a completely different, Apocalypse affiliated character in this world], Factor X [Focusing on a Sinister controlled Cyclops and Havok, so no, Cyke was never an X-Man in this continuity], Gambit and the X-Ternals [Gambit and the X-Force group in the Shi'ar empire. Yes, really], Amazing X-Men and X-Men Chronicles

It's a bit more complex than that, however, and there's a summary of the evens, a read order, and world notes on the event here: UncannyXmen.Net - For the Fans, By the Fans

Daps.

I'm on the Book 1 of the TPB releases and do any of them, the TPB, have the story of WeaponX losing his hand? Cuz in one of the comics in the book it shows him being introduced them a few comics later he's leaving with Jean with no hand. I'm like :what:

It explains HOW he lost it, but it doesn't have the comic of that story.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
Glad to see Panther in the foreground of that pic...He needs to be portrayed as the boss of all bosses like he was during Priest's run.

I can't say enough how much I appreciate reading that Hickman is going to spotlight characters who DON'T have their own books in Avengers. Nothing I hate more than character who already has 3 or 4 books hogging the spotlight in a team book too.

I think he should do something like for the defenders or something. Avengers should be the marvel all stars.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think he should do something like for the defenders or something. Avengers should be the marvel all stars.

That's not what the Avengers were ever intended to be though.

The Avengers always took B and C level characters and built them up to higher status.

Because certain characters have their own books, much of their character development should obviously take place in THOSE books. Team books should be used to spotlight characters that don't have their own title.

To be clear I'm not saying Captain America, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, and Ms Marvel should be background characters, but the book should focus on the other characters. For the most part that's what Bendis did with his New Avengers stuff. Luke Cage, Sentry, Jessica Jones, Dr Strange, and a few other characters were the focus of that book, but it never felt like the others were just window dressing.

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Daps.

I'm on the Book 1 of the TPB releases and do any of them, the TPB, have the story of WeaponX losing his hand? Cuz in one of the comics in the book it shows him being introduced them a few comics later he's leaving with Jean with no hand. I'm like :what:

It explains HOW he lost it, but it doesn't have the comic of that story.

If I remember correctly, they never actually published a comic containing that fight. So you're out of luck.

In addition: Read "The Dark Angel Saga" from Uncanny X-Force and the new Age of Apocalypse ongoing if you're so inclined. The former's pretty damn good and acts as a sort of coda for the AoA story, as well as a launching pad for the ongoing, which has a very interesting premise that I won't spoil.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
That's not what the Avengers were ever intended to be though.

The Avengers always took B and C level characters and built them up to higher status.

Because certain characters have their own books, much of their character development should obviously take place in THOSE books. Team books should be used to spotlight characters that don't have their own title.

To be clear I'm not saying Captain America, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, and Ms Marvel should be background characters, but the book should focus on the other characters. For the most part that's what Bendis did with his New Avengers stuff. Luke Cage, Sentry, Jessica Jones, Dr Strange, and a few other characters were the focus of that book, but it never felt like the others were just window dressing.

:ld:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
If I remember correctly, they never actually published a comic containing that fight. So you're out of luck.

In addition: Read "The Dark Angel Saga" from Uncanny X-Force and the new Age of Apocalypse ongoing if you're so inclined. The former's pretty damn good and acts as a sort of coda for the AoA story, as well as a launching pad for the ongoing, which has a very interesting premise that I won't spoil.

Yea, I got the new AOA TPB. I'll look into the other. Thanks.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just finished reading Judge Dredd: Origins and earlier I read Block Mania. All I gotta say is we (US comic readers) been missing out. Wish our mainstream (Marvel and DC) titles had real continuity like these Dredd titles.

I think a tv series would be better suited than another movie

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Yo do I need to read the old Justice League Dark to know what's going on in this new shyt?

Read 0# and it was pretty dope...Constantine is that dude

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Marvel put The Punisher in the Thunderbolts :snoop:

2588939-2588938-thunderbolts_01_cover_rev_super.jpg

At least they didn't put him in the avengers

I'm curious to see how Agent Venom and Punisher work together. The venom comics have been nice lately