Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hell no. Spider-man? :childplease: Not even close

Yeah it is, Spider-Man has consistently been on of Marvel's best books since Brand New Day.

The only time I ever have a problem with that series is when they have artists that I don't like.

The last few Lizard storylines in particular have been dope.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
IDW is doing a Judge Dredd ongoing later this year.
So far IDW has been on fire with Godzilla ongoing, Half Century War, TMNT ongoing, TMNT Micro Series, and I'm sure the Dredd ongoing isn't going to disappoint. My homie is into the Ghostbuster series but I haven't checked it out myself. Read a few of their Transformers issues, but I'm trying to limit the amount of books I buy a month.

Current titles I'm getting each month
DC
Batman
Swamp Thing
Animal Man

IDW
Godzilla ongoing
Godzilla Half Century War
TMNT ongoing and Micro Series

Dark Horse
Dark Horse Presents

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
IDW is doing a Judge Dredd ongoing later this year.
So far IDW has been on fire with Godzilla ongoing, Half Century War, TMNT ongoing, TMNT Micro Series, and I'm sure the Dredd ongoing isn't going to disappoint. My homie is into the Ghostbuster series but I haven't checked it out myself. Read a few of their Transformers issues, but I'm trying to limit the amount of books I buy a month.

Current titles I'm getting each month
DC
Batman
Swamp Thing
Animal Man

IDW
Godzilla ongoing
Godzilla Half Century War
TMNT ongoing and Micro Series

Dark Horse
Dark Horse Presents

........................................................You're not reading Invincible, Walking Dead, or Daredevil?

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
........................................................You're not reading Invincible, Walking Dead, or Daredevil?

Nah. Really falling away from the Superhero genre. I did follow Daredevil for about 5 or so issues then fell out of it. Aren't they 3.99 per issue? That might be why I stopped buying it.

Never really got into Walking Dead. I was getting iZombie though till it ended :laugh:

I, Vampire is another good book by DC that I stopped following just because of space. Might just get the trades.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah. Really falling away from the Superhero genre. I did following Daredevil for about 5 or so issues then fell out it. Aren't they 3.99 per issue? They might be why I stopped buying it.

Never really got into Walking Dead. I was getting iZombie though till it ended :laugh:

I, Vampire is another good book by DC that I stopped following just because of space. Might just get the trades.

I fall in and out of superhero comics from time to time myself, but I make it a point to keep buying Invincible. Kirkman has YET to deliver a bad issue of that book.

If you're straying away from Superhero stuff I still have to highly reccomend "Saga" by Brian K Vaughn and "Thief of Thieves".

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I fall in and out of superhero comics from time to time myself, but I make it a point to keep buying Invincible. Kirkman has YET to deliver a bad issue of that book.

If you're straying away from Superhero stuff I still have to highly reccomend "Saga" by Brian K Vaughn and "Thief of Thieves".

Saga is one book I've been meaning to get into. Also curious about The Unwritten.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saga is one book I've been meaning to get into. Also curious about The Unwritten.

What I read of Unwritten was fukking dope. Only reason I stopped buying it was because I decided to just wait for the trades. It read a lot better IMO as trade (much like Sweet tooth).

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
saga has been damn good so far and i really enjoy invincible. it's funny because when robert kirkman was writing for marvel sucked, but walking dead and invincible are :wow:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Just starting on AOA. Can someone give me details on how Magneto took over X-Men? I know Prof. X died. So when they did these comics did they already start a new X-Men series from scratch? And is there a TPB of when Magneto took over and X's death?

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Yeah it is, Spider-Man has consistently been on of Marvel's best books since Brand New Day.

The only time I ever have a problem with that series is when they have artists that I don't like.

And when they remind us that Brand New Day exists....that story where they tried to explain the changes from when Peter was in high school was :beli:

DMR

Killa
Daps
Its been hit or miss lately

Yep, I find myself only reading it 'cause hes my childhood hero, not really for the quality of stories.

Best Marvel book in years? Gillen's Uncanny X-Men & Journey of Mystery shyts all over it breh, so does i.e. Punisher by Ennis and Rucka, Brubaker's Captain America, David's X-Factor and thats just from the top of my head

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Yep, I find myself only reading it 'cause hes my childhood hero, not really for the quality of stories.

Best Marvel book in years? Gillen's Uncanny X-Men & Journey of Mystery shyts all over it breh, so does i.e. Punisher by Ennis and Rucka, Brubaker's Captain America, David's X-Factor and thats just from the top of my head

Hulk done by Parker. Only that and X-Force/Uncanny X-Force has made me go back and buy issues that I initially skipped on.

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Just starting on AOA. Can someone give me details on how Magneto took over X-Men? I know Prof. X died. So when they did these comics did they already start a new X-Men series from scratch? And is there a TPB of when Magneto took over and X's death?

If you're reading the original Age of Apocalypse, then you need to find a copy of the Legion Quest TPB and read that first, as that will tell you all of the whys of how that came to be in one respect.

Or you can read a summary of it here: UncannyXmen.Net - For the Fans, By the Fans

Cliffs notes: Legion (Xavier's son from the first New Mutants series, long story), a schizophrenic, gets his head together long enough to get the idea that the world would be a better place with Magneto dead. So he time travels back 20 years, back when Xavier and Magneto were still friends in Israel, to kill him, and a few X-Men follow him. Memory loss and shenanigans, some involving the M'Krann Crystal, follow, with the end result being Legion botching the assassination and killing his father by mistake.

Apocalypse was watching this whole thing, and decided, based on a wrongheaded assessment of the emergence of mutants (remember, time travel), to reveal himself 20 years earlier than he did. So instead of X-Factor (the original X-Men) being present to stop him, nobody was ready, and he basically razed North America as a result. That's where the world of AoA stems from.

Comics-wise, they basically stopped all the main series at the time (Cable, Excalibur, Generation X, Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine, X-Factor, X-Force, X-Men and X-Men Unlimited) and replaced them with 4 issue long miniseries with different focuses (Spoiler tagged due to light spoilers, if you haven't read it yet):

In respective order: X-Man [Thank this for Nate Grey. Cable never existed because Cyclops and Jean Grey never met, so there was no hope for a Madelyne Pryor existing], X-Calibre [About Nightcrawler, Mystique and Destiny in the Savage Land], Generation Next [Colossus and Kitty Pryde train the next generation, consisting of the Generation X sans Jubilee], Astonishing X-Men, Weapon X [Wolverine was a completely different, Apocalypse affiliated character in this world], Factor X [Focusing on a Sinister controlled Cyclops and Havok, so no, Cyke was never an X-Man in this continuity], Gambit and the X-Ternals [Gambit and the X-Force group in the Shi'ar empire. Yes, really], Amazing X-Men and X-Men Chronicles

It's a bit more complex than that, however, and there's a summary of the evens, a read order, and world notes on the event here: UncannyXmen.Net - For the Fans, By the Fans