Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
My man Starlin back to writing Thanos the GAWD. :to:

Crying-Mariah-Carey.gif

Thank you Based Starlin. :blessed:

:camby:

Giffin's wasn't even great. I found myself not caring for those last 6 issues. I liked him in Annihilation, tho.

Starlin's the only dude I want to do Thanos. I'm sure he was burned out writing Thanos. He also did Infinity Abyss and The End.

:heh: you could tell Starlin was burned out on Thanos during the first 8 issues of the solo book.

Hell, while those Infinity stories were great, those stories were lame as hell. Thanos clones (retcon fodder)? Egyptian Uber Gods that no one had heard of? ANOTHER artifact that's more powerful than the PREVIOUS established artifact that Thanos just HAS to get despite himself?

No, YOU :camby:

I give those stories props for firmly establishing Thanos as the HIGHEST of the high level players at Marvel (they even retconned THAT story) as well as what I feel is the last TRUE appearance of Adam Warlock.

If anything, Giffen gave Thanos an actual personality outside of making him sound like a Shakespearean character, as Starlin is prone to doing with ALL of his lead characters once he starts to get bored with them.

He also gave Thanos goals outside of the usual "Owning the Universe or planning on it" routine that Thanos had been stuck in for damn near 30 years.

He ALSO gave him somewhat of a supporting cast to play that personality off in Skreet and OG Peter Quill/Starlord..... While Starlin had.... a Rigellian Recorder with the SAME deadpan personality as Thanos... and Adam Warlock... who had the SAME deadpan personality as Thanos!

Hell, Starlin wouldn't even give a shyt about Marvel's usage of the character if Thanos hadn't become so popular following Infinity Gauntlet. infinity War, Crusade and infinity Watch were Adam Warlock stories with Thanos as a supporting character/uneasy ally/friendly rival.

If ANYTHING, Starlin should get back to writing Adam Warlock, a character who Starlin's "Byronic Hero" trope voice writing self (the same voice he's been writing everyone in since he started back) was tailor made for.

Come at me, bro! :blessed:

I've always wanted Starlin to write a DC/Marvel crossover where Thanos and Darkseid team up to try to take over the universe.

:scusthov: your idea sucks, too.

edit: okay, that was childish and spiteful. but it felt good. :ahh:

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
read all three. Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade. It'll either make you a Thanos fan, an Adam Warlock fan, or both.

Then read Kieth Giffen's solo take on Thanos and you'll be SHOCKED as to how much better he made the character.

Then you'll read Infinity and be mad as a motherfukker. :heh:
Infinity Crusade was ass though.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
the crossovers and general idea, yes. the central story and sheer amount of :gladbron: style fukkery was great.

And it was drawn by Ron Lim. That automatically boosts it to near classic status in my eye.
It sucked and the plot made no sense. Warlock expelled all good and evil from his soul. The evil took the form of the Magus. Makes sense. What makes no sense is the good (the Goddess) also being ultimately evil. She and all the religious heroes were so self-righteous that they ended up on some fire and brimstone jihadist shyt. But that was stupid because pure good--the opposite of the evil manifested in the Magus--wouldn't manifest in that matter. It would manifest in the form of altruism, compassion, healing, tolerance, etc. The whole thing was just a not even thinly veiled at all stab at religion. And as an agnostic, I'm all for critiques of religion, but this was just clumsly and vapid.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
It sucked and the plot made no sense. Warlock expelled all good and evil from his soul. The evil took the form of the Magus. Makes sense. What makes no sense is the good (the Goddess) also being ultimately evil. She and all the religious heroes were so self-righteous that they ended up on some fire and brimstone jihadist shyt. But that was stupid because pure good--the opposite of the evil manifested in the Magus--wouldn't manifest in that matter. It would manifest in the form of altruism, compassion, healing, tolerance, etc. The whole thing was just a not even thinly veiled at all stab at religion. And as an agnostic, I'm all for critiques of religion, but this was just clumsly and vapid.

it's a play/contrast on Kirby's original thought on Highfather.Darkseid from The New Gods.

Highfather and the good guys represent Chaos. Free Will. Creativity.

Darkseid representes Ultimate Order. Lack of Free Will. Oppression.

Starlin originally wrote Thanos as the champion of Death, which everybody gets.

Adam/The Magus was the champion of Life, which is why old school fans were amped about the CancerVerse and hoping Magus was behind it all (Cancer is literally life growing out of control, no Death until it kills the host).

War and Crusade were Starlin's, as you say, clumsy attempt at saying good and evil in absolutes were bad, and only true neutrals like Adam and Thanos were in the right.

Daps
read all three. Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade. It'll either make you a Thanos fan, an Adam Warlock fan, or both.

Then read Kieth Giffen's solo take on Thanos and you'll be SHOCKED as to how much better he made the character.

Then you'll read Infinity and be mad as a motherfukker. :heh:

Do you not like Hickman's take on Thanos?

Daps
My man Starlin back to writing Thanos the GAWD. :to:

Crying-Mariah-Carey.gif

Thank you Based Starlin. :blessed:

And :wtf: at you not reading Infinity Gauntlet. shyt's :blessed:

I became hooked on that shyt that I had to get the crossovers, aftermath and preludes. Those Silver Surfer comics. :whew:

:camby:

Giffin's wasn't even great. I found myself not really caring for those last 6 issues; I did like him in Annihilation, tho.Plus I'm sure Starlin was burned out writing Thanos since he also did Infinity Abyss and The End around that time. Maybe it's cause I enjoy JS, but I feel he's the only one I feel can do Thanos well.

I've always wanted Starlin to write a DC/Marvel crossover where Thanos and Darkseid team up to try to take over the universe.

I get a pass, because I just started reading comics this year, I need to read all the classic stories though. I've mostly read material from 2000's forward. Once I finish grant morrisons new xmen, I need to check out chris claremont x men run I've heard its :banderas:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
What has she written?

Nah shyt is trash, Gillen is the most overrated writer doing it
Wilson wrote Air for Vertigo. I thought it was one of the worst comics ever put out by Vertigo.

And Young Avengers is some trash.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Hickman's usage of Thanos in Infinity has been disappointing to me so far and this primary motivation of killing his b*stard children doesn't sit well with me either. It's like Hickman and Marvel are trying to make the shytty version of Thanos from Jason Aaron's shytty origin miniseries the de facto version of Thanos.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

Hickman's usage of Thanos in Infinity has been disappointing to me so far and this primary motivation of killing his b*stard children doesn't sit well with me either. It's like Hickman and Marvel are trying to make the shytty version of Thanos from Jason Aaron's shytty origin miniseries the de facto version of Thanos.

that says it all.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
I thought Aaron would be the next big thing after his BP secret invasion arc but since then his been :ehh:

I heard his Thor is good but I hate his X-books

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

DMR

Killa
Daps

IMO Hickman is writing Thanos as though he was Darkseid

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Forever Evil and Earth 2 are what I'm looking at. Earth 2 has a new writer on board, I beleive

Mighty Avengers :ld:, and Ghosted