Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Grifter

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Watching
The new Ms Marvel is a Muslim teen girl.

http://news.yahoo.com/marvel-comics-ms-marvel-returns-muslim-teen-211344608.html

Marvel Comics is bringing Ms. Marvel back as a 16-year-old daughter of Pakistani immigrants living in Jersey City named Kamala Khan.

The character — among the first to be a series protagonist who is both a woman and Muslim — is part of Marvel Entertainment's efforts to reflect a growing diversity among its readers while keeping ahold of the contemporary relevance that have underlined its foundation since the creation of Spider-Man and the X-Men in the early 1960s.

Writer G. Willow Wilson and artist Adrian Alphona, working with editor Sana Amanat, say the series reflects Khan's vibrant but kinetic world, learning to deal with superpowers, family expectations and adolescence.

Amanat calls the series a "desire to explore the Muslim-American diaspora from an authentic perspective" and what it means to be young and lost amid expectations by others while also telling the story of a teenager coming to grips with having amazing powers.

"I wanted Ms. Marvel to be true-to-life, something real people could relate to, particularly young women. High school was a very vivid time in my life, so I drew heavily on those experiences — impending adulthood, dealing with school, emotionally charged friendships that are such a huge part of being a teenager," said Willow, whose previous comics work includes Vertigo's "Cairo" and the series "Air."

"It's for all the geek girls out there and everybody else who's ever looked at life from the fringe."

She can grow and shrink her limbs and her body and, Willow said, ultimately, she'll be able to shape shift into other forms.

View gallery."

This comic book cover image released by Marvel Comics shows character Kamala Khan on the "Ms. Marvel …

The idea came after a discussion with senior editor Stephen Wacker as they compared stories about growing up.

From there it germinated into a "character for all those little girls who are growing up now the way you are growing up," she recalled. Wilson was brought on board to write the series and the team quickly got approval from Marvel's creative committee to move forward.

DC Comics last fall relaunched its "Green Lantern" series with Simon Baz, an Arab American and Muslim. The character reflects writer Geoff Johns' Lebanese ancestry and his upbringing in the Detroit area.

There have been a few others: Marvel Comics has Dust, a young Afghan woman whose mutant ability to manipulate sand and dust has been part of the popular X-Men books. DC Comics in late 2010 introduced Nightrunner, a young Muslim hero of Algerian descent reared in Paris.

The creative team said that Khan's backstory, growing up Muslim, is an element of the story, but not the critical foundation, either.

"Kamala is not unlike Peter Parker," said Marvel Editor-In-Chief Axel Alonso of the teenager turned wall crawler. "She's a 16-year-old girl from the suburbs who is trying to figure out who she is and trying to forge an identity when she suddenly bestows great power and learns the great responsibility that comes with it."

___

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The idea behind the new Ms Marvel is a cool new but G. Willow Wilson annoys me as a writer.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
:dead:

That's what the focused on in the early years of the series when it was struggling. The series took off when Magneto and Xavier were downplayed for the new characters introduced. The Phoenix Saga is THE X-men story.

The third X-Men movie got bashed because it was a shyt movie, not because they tried doing the Phoenix saga. People had been clamoring for the Phoenix saga to be done on the big screen before the second film had even been made.

X-Men origins was critically priased because it was just a better film, not soley because Magneto was in it.
Did you post on sohh? If you did, you would probably know by now arguing with R=G is the equivalent of trying to teach a cat how to tap dance in terms of futility. Dude's stannery of Magneto and Claremont requires a clinical diagnosis.

Notice how he attributes X-Men #1 being the all time best-selling comic book solely to Magneto. Nevermind that X-Men was the most popular highest-selling brand in the comic book industry, and after years of UXM being the only X-Men title, they decided to launch a first ever second X-Men title with heavy promotion during the highest comic book sales era ever, at the height of a collectors' bubble that hadn't yet burst.

It was all because of Magneto. :dead:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48929

Jim Starlin writing 100 page Thanos story for next summer. :whoo: as someone who's itching for more thanos in my life I'm hyped. I'm loving infinity right now but dissapointed by the lack of infinity gauntlet. I haven't read Starlin's infinity gauntlet story line yet, I'm thinking i should cop that

read all three. Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade. It'll either make you a Thanos fan, an Adam Warlock fan, or both.

Then read Kieth Giffen's solo take on Thanos and you'll be SHOCKED as to how much better he made the character.

Then you'll read Infinity and be mad as a motherfukker. :heh:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48929

Jim Starlin writing 100 page Thanos story for next summer. :whoo: as someone who's itching for more thanos in my life I'm hyped. I'm loving infinity right now but dissapointed by the lack of infinity gauntlet. I haven't read Starlin's infinity gauntlet story line yet, I'm thinking i should cop that

My man Starlin back to writing Thanos the GAWD. :to:

Crying-Mariah-Carey.gif

Thank you Based Starlin. :blessed:

And :wtf: at you not reading Infinity Gauntlet. shyt's :blessed:

I became hooked on that shyt that I had to get the crossovers, aftermath and preludes. Those Silver Surfer comics. :whew:

Then read Kieth Giffen's solo take on Thanos and you'll be SHOCKED as to how much better he made the character.

:camby:

Giffin's wasn't even great. I found myself not really caring for those last 6 issues; I did like him in Annihilation, tho.Plus I'm sure Starlin was burned out writing Thanos since he also did Infinity Abyss and The End around that time. Maybe it's cause I enjoy JS, but I feel he's the only one I feel can do Thanos well.

I've always wanted Starlin to write a DC/Marvel crossover where Thanos and Darkseid team up to try to take over the universe.

Last edited: