Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
DC and Marvel should stay away from ages unless they are actually willing to like their characters grow.
How old should Magneto be now if his WW 2 origin is still in place?

He should be 90 but Captain America/Wolverine/Red Skull/Thor/Exodus are older by decades to hundreds of years. Magneto was de aged and can't be more than 35 if the writers kept up with their own continuity and had better artists.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well both companies do let their characters grow.

Marvel in particular touts their sliding time scale. The X-Men, Avengers, Spider-Man, Daredevil and other character have grown over time.

The X-Men were in their late teens when they started and Spider-Man started in Highschool.

DC is a bit more fukked up because of the reboots they do every decade or so. Plus the robin situation ALWAYS fukks things up.

Marvel use to have a lot of growth but when fans grew up and began to write the stories actual growth stopped.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y'all think Marvel should or ever reboot the whole universe?

Nope....They just need to move forward.....Some character need to be offed (permanently) otherwise things wont be able to move forward.

They need to stop with the "ignore it and nobody will remember it" bullshyt. The most glaring instances of this are Iron Man getting a free pass after all the bullshyt he did and Daredevil secret I.D. being public treated as a joke.

*edit*

Ultimate Marvel does this shyt the right way. The only problem is Ultimate Marvel goes too far some times. The fukked up the United states and killed off some really good characters for shock value that probably wont come back.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Did magnetos de-aging have something to do with the savage land?

Magneto created Alpha the Ultimate Mutant who had supreme telepathic abilities before they had Magneto resistent to that to the levels he had today. Magneto had captured the Defenders and at some point, the creation saw Magneto as evil and turned him into a baby. After the Shiar stuff was winding down, Erik the Red went to Muir Island where Magneto was sent and turned him back into an adult in his prime(27-33). There was a test during the Trial of Magneto that proved he was 30 years of age after all that went down. No way it's been more than 5-6 years Marvel time since that stuff in the 80s.

Last time Magneto was in the Savage Land was when Zaladane made a play for world power and him/Rogue/Nick Fury/Ka Zar stopped her. Everyone pleaded with him not to kill her but he still did it and went back to Asteroid M.

Y'all think Marvel should or ever will reboot the whole universe?

Nah..that's fukking the fans' over big time. Can't go back to that 60s type of shyt where it's a clean slate. I never read DC consistently so I didn't care if they wanted to reboot for like the 6th fukking time. It's all good but Marvel actually has had great stories and good shyt that needs to be recalled upon. The thing with Spider-Man and Mephisto was already bad enough.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Y'all think Marvel should or ever will reboot the whole universe?

I could see it happening as a result of Disney making the decision to have the comics universe more in line with the movie universe.
Corporate synergy is a motherfukker.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't mind a reboot from either company. If the stories are entertaining and intriguing then I'm all for it. Then again I do prefer stories that have a beginning, middle, and end.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I don't mind a reboot from either copy. If the stories are entertaining and intriguing then I'm all for it. Then again I do prefer stories that have a beginning, middle, and end.

I've never had an issue with it either. Those old stories still exist if I want to read them and as long as the new stuff is solidly written/drawn I am all for it.

verbalkint

I see you niccas...
Daps
Reppin
Queens
The problem with reboots are inevitably some characters get the shaft. The New 52 really jerked 3 of my favorite characters. Tim Drake, Kyle Rayner & Wally West.

And I feel like DC is really :troll: acting like the death of Superman, Knightfall and Batman's death all happened in the new timeline....sh!t even Hal's death and return are supposed to be in continuity.:upsetfavre:

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The problem with reboots are inevitably some characters get the shaft. The New 52 really jerked 3 of my favorite characters. Tim Drake, Kyle Rayner & Wally West.

And I feel like DC is really :troll: acting like the death of Superman, Knightfall and Batman's death all happened in the new timeline....sh!t even Hal's death and return are supposed to be in continuity.:upsetfavre:

Well DC has an out with this New 52 thuing because the reboot came about as a direct result of that shytty Flashpoint mini-series. All they need to do is another event where the Pandora character fixes everything she fukked up and they can go right back to the pre-New 52 universe if they wanted to.
And while I am not too fond of TIm Drake in Teen Titans that has more to do with the fact that Scott Lobdell is the absolute worst person to be writing that title but when Tim is shown in the Bat books he feels like the same character pre-reboot.
And nothing has changed with Kyle in the reboot...he is exactly where he would have been if the New 52 never happened.
Now Wally is a different story, he and his fans are being shafted horribly since he hasn't even appeared in the new universe yet to my knowledge.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The thing with Spider-Man and Mephisto was already bad enough.

The "One More Day" bullshyt was horrible, BUT everything that has come after that bullshyt has been great. This has been one of the best periods for Spider-man comics in a LONG time.

Brand New Day Vol. 1, 2, & 3

Kraven's First Hunt

New Ways to Die

American Son

The Gauntlet

Grim Hunt

Spider-Man comics have been consistently dope since "One more day"...

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I liked the Spider-Man beatdown of Kingpin before all of that stuff went down. It was hiarious in so many ways with the execution and set up of that ordeal. I've missed all of Slott's run though.

verbalkint

I see you niccas...
Daps
Reppin
Queens
Well DC has an out with this New 52 thuing because the reboot came about as a direct result of that shytty Flashpoint mini-series. All they need to do is another event where the Pandora character fixes everything she fukked up and they can go right back to the pre-New 52 universe if they wanted to.
And while I am not too fond of TIm Drake in Teen Titans that has more to do with the fact that Scott Lobdell is the absolute worst person to be writing that title but when Tim is shown in the Bat books he feels like the same character pre-reboot.
And nothing has changed with Kyle in the reboot...he is exactly where he would have been if the New 52 never happened.
Now Wally is a different story, he and his fans are being shafted horribly since he hasn't even appeared in the new universe yet to my knowledge.
Yeah I feel you....and I'd feel good about putting money on an unaffected Wally popping out the speed force. Tim tho was on his way to the big leagues pre reboot, now it feels like he's jobbing and apparently was never "Robin"

edit: what the hell is the gist of Marvel Now anyway?

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I liked the Spider-Man beatdown of Kingpin before all of that stuff went down. It was hiarious in so many ways with the execution and set up of that ordeal. I've missed all of Slott's run though.

Yeah, the lead up to "One more day" was actually dope. Main thing I remember though was him throwing that Jeep at Sniper.

Dan Slott's Spider-Man stuff has been dope. None of it has been close to being bad. The weakest thing he's done is probably Ends of the Earth and even that was pretty good.

All the new shyt is crack though.