Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Looking at those covers does nothing to make me want to buy/read either of those books.
I sorta wish they would just kill Cable once and for all.

It's a shame that seeing all these characters in one book does nothing for me. I remember growing up when "named" characters were in a book together it was like a big deal. Similar to rap in that guest appearances are the norm now but growing up they were more of a big deal

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I don't mind a reboot from either company. If the stories are entertaining and intriguing then I'm all for it. Then again I do prefer stories that have a beginning, middle, and end.

I've never had an issue with it either. Those old stories still exist if I want to read them and as long as the new stuff is solidly written/drawn I am all for it.

I also don't have an issue with the reboots. Certain stories just stand on their own within a specific era and are rarely mentioned much thereafter anyway.

When I first picked up on Spiderman in the 90s, Ben Riley's death was a big deal and lingering in the mythos. Norman Osborne's return (and murder of Riley) was a big deal, Harry's death was still fresh on their mind and his baby momma was fearful because Norman had plans of taking his grandson as his own 'heir'.. and given that nobody outside of the parker family/supporting cast knew that Osborne = Goblin, it was this big dark ugly secret that nobody could prove to the greater public. Most importantly of all, baby may parker was still missing but believed to be alive. Like shyt was real and the stories had a certain angst to it, like that was its own era. MJ smoking and shyt lol and Peter battling ulcers because he was always stressing.

It was a different vibe than it was a few years after that in which it was JMS's run and the focus was more so just on the mariage/separation, Peter being a teacher, and Eziekial. The Riley stuff was no longer mentioned, the baby had long since been dropped in favor of bringing back aunt may :scusthov: , and Black Cat was being teased as possibly the new love interest/supporting character in Spiderman if MJ were to be ditched.

All in all, it was two different eras in spiderman that felt disconnected from each other prob because the former was going a certain path that would have HAD to have ended with Peter and Mary Jane finding their baby daughter and moving forward as parents. Once it didn't go that route, and brought back aunt may to revisit some redundant ass aunt may stories (she's sick, she's in danger, she's kidnapped, she's figured out my identity.. blah blah) and some redundant Parker/MJ stories about time, commitment, giving up spiderman, etc.. it basically felt like a reboot anyway.

Not saying some of the stories from either era (or any era) weren't good/great but if I were to sit and read the whole "ben reilly/clone saga/baby may/goblin" saga again, I'd prob just see it as its own beginning middle & end stand alone story (and it 'technically' did end with Peter "retiring" as Spiderman) that was independent of anything that may have happened afterward (like the whole gwen stacey foolery in JMS's run.)

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
I also don't have an issue with the reboots. Certain stories just stand on their own within a specific era and are rarely mentioned much thereafter anyway.

When I first picked up on Spiderman in the 90s, Ben Riley's death was a big deal and lingering in the mythos. Norman Osborne's return (and murder of Riley) was a big deal, Harry's death was still fresh on their mind and his baby momma was fearful because Norman had plans of taking his grandson as his own 'heir'.. and given that nobody outside of the parker family/supporting cast knew that Osborne = Goblin, it was this big dark ugly secret that nobody could prove to the greater public. Most importantly of all, baby may parker was still missing but believed to be alive. Like shyt was real and the stories had a certain angst to it, like that was its own era. MJ smoking and shyt lol and Peter battling ulcers because he was always stressing.

It was a different vibe than it was a few years after that in which it was JMS's run and the focus was more so just on the mariage/separation, Peter being a teacher, and Eziekial. The Riley stuff was no longer mentioned, the baby had long since been dropped in favor of bringing back aunt may :scusthov: , and Black Cat was being teased as possibly the new love interest/supporting character in Spiderman if MJ were to be ditched.

All in all, it was two different eras in spiderman that felt disconnected from each other prob because the former was going a certain path that would have HAD to have ended with Peter and Mary Jane finding their baby daughter and moving forward as parents. Once it didn't go that route, and brought back aunt may to revisit some redundant ass aunt may stories (she's sick, she's in danger, she's kidnapped, she's figured out my identity.. blah blah) and some redundant Parker/MJ stories about time, commitment, giving up spiderman, etc.. it basically felt like a reboot anyway.

Not saying some of the stories from either era (or any era) weren't good/great but if I were to sit and read the whole "ben reilly/clone saga/baby may/goblin" saga again, I'd prob just see it as its own beginning middle & end stand alone story (and it 'technically' did end with Peter "retiring" as Spiderman) that was independent of anything that may have happened afterward (like the whole gwen stacey foolery in JMS's run.)

fukked up thing about that was they made him change the story those kids were suppose to be peter's.

yo i had the :wtf: face when peter knew those kids were not his because they never had sex. I was like the love of your life and yall are in college and he never fukked gwen stacy? I am so glad JMS cleared the air on that one because his story would have been better but the higher ups thought it would age spider man (Queusda)

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

There is an article talking about how the original Marvel universe using the Fantastic Four as an example.

Any read Judge Dredd? Saw that they are reprinting his old stories and was thinking about checking them out. Finally get to see the movie today

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL

JMS had some really questionable shyt going on during his run. shyt doesn't hold a candle to the current stuff.

The best things JMS did was the immediate Civil War Fallout and the first story with Morlun.

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
Magneto created Alpha the Ultimate Mutant who had supreme telepathic abilities before they had Magneto resistent to that to the levels he had today. Magneto had captured the Defenders and at some point, the creation saw Magneto as evil and turned him into a baby. After the Shiar stuff was winding down, Erik the Red went to Muir Island where Magneto was sent and turned him back into an adult in his prime(27-33). There was a test during the Trial of Magneto that proved he was 30 years of age after all that went down. No way it's been more than 5-6 years Marvel time since that stuff in the 80s.

Last time Magneto was in the Savage Land was when Zaladane made a play for world power and him/Rogue/Nick Fury/Ka Zar stopped her. Everyone pleaded with him not to kill her but he still did it and went back to Asteroid M.

Nah..that's fukking the fans' over big time. Can't go back to that 60s type of shyt where it's a clean slate. I never read DC consistently so I didn't care if they wanted to reboot for like the 6th fukking time. It's all good but Marvel actually has had great stories and good shyt that needs to be recalled upon. The thing with Spider-Man and Mephisto was already bad enough.

oh yeah....the savage land thing is where he jacked gambits bytch

rogue31.jpg

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
Any read Judge Dredd? Saw that they are reprinting his old stories and was thinking about checking them out. Finally get to see the movie today

yeah theyre pretty good reads especially the sh1t he does in the cursed earth reminds me of fallout

667333.jpg

668673.jpg

Daps
Did anyone ever read any of that Marvel Universe: The End stuff? They had one for the X Men and Fantastic Four. Never checked for it.

The hulk the end was :ahh: it got so psychological with it very superb story...

who got them other the end books though? :myman:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Read Civil War: War Crimes...Kingpin made a fool out of Tony Stark in that shyt. Very good look at what makes Fisk tick.