Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Uncle Baby Billy

All Star
Daps
Unfortunately, they really haven't had much of an idea on what to do with Miles after Bendis left Marvel. I thought the throwing shyt against the wall era of Miles was over with the last writer left, but they still have no real direction.
What did they do besides making him a Spy-D, giving him sword powers, giving him clone bros.
What else did they do?

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Unfortunately, they really haven't had much of an idea on what to do with Miles after Bendis left Marvel. I thought the throwing shyt against the wall era of Miles was over with the last writer left, but they still have no real direction.

Yea, everything is just half-baked. I have my criticisms of Bendis but one thing he didn't do was half-ass it with Miles. If he's going to have bio-electric powers, the mf'er gon pack up Blackheart with that bytch lol. If he gon have a love life, it's going to be the most interesting high profile ish.. juggling Spider-Gwen, Ms Marvel, and Bombshell. Getting kisses from teen Jean Grey n ish.

The double edge sword with Bendis (gave Miles a bit too naive/dull a personality but an engaging roadmap for storytelling) is basically swapped: Miles has a more distinct voice now, but his adventures are dull AF.

i.e. His unique selling points are his electric powers + invisibility but they no-sell both vs HobGoblin and instead focus on some judo Misty Knight taught him? Ain't no one give no cotdamn bout no fukkin judo

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
And speaking of lack of progression...

I did skim through Absolute Power #2... and that "leadership" moment they had with Nightwing (with Batman lookin on like a proud dad watching his first son who made it) was kinda cool 20 years ago when some other writer did it in a similar summer event book (I forget the event but at one point Batman even told Nightwing he was always proud of him or somethin).

But 20 years later in 2024, Nightwing is still just the leader of the JV team. Granted DC been rebooted like twice over since then but it just felt like an eye roll moment, like oh we hyping this up again huh

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
first-look-at-ultimate-black-cat-v0-i438ar62cohd1.jpeg

:troll:Oh O

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
:yeshrug:To be real they could’ve created a new dope black character.

Marvel is unserious about it, but probably the lesser of two evils compared to DC when it comes to black rep in general. You can always tell how invested the big two are based on the event stories.

i.e. BP, Miles, and Sam are almost always at or near the forefront of big event rollouts, with Storm and now Blade being niche additions. Whereas it's currently just Mr. Terrific as barely a tertiary character in DC events. or i guess Amanda Waller is their premier black character now.

With the ultimate universe and whatever DC's equivalent is, it's probably the best time to create original new black characters (without having to worry about continuity) instead of remixing/race-bending the old ones.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Is there a reason why Iron Man wasn't given a "Ultimate" comic book for this new universe?
The Ultimates is Tony's book tbh. Technically, Howard is that universe's Iron Man and he's trapped with The Maker.

Considering how well this roll out has done with sales and critically, I wonder what Marvel is gonna do this time around to fukk up Hickman's plans :mjlol: I'll be shocked if he doesn't leave the line after the crossover event once the Maker leave the bubble (in a year I think it's the date?).

No question dude is gonna calle it "Ultimatum" too :russ:

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
Marvel is unserious about it, but probably the lesser of two evils compared to DC when it comes to black rep in general. You can always tell how invested the big two are based on the event stories.

i.e. BP, Miles, and Sam are almost always at or near the forefront of big event rollouts, with Storm and now Blade being niche additions. Whereas it's currently just Mr. Terrific as barely a tertiary character in DC events. or i guess Amanda Waller is their premier black character now.

With the ultimate universe and whatever DC's equivalent is, it's probably the best time to create original new black characters (without having to worry about continuity) instead of remixing/race-bending the old ones.
There’s so many black characters that go unutilized it’s crazy. But it should be expected when there’s not that many black people behind the scenes. RIP to Dwayne McDuffie

Last edited: