Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

By Christopher Priest and Rafa Sandoval. :leon:

DC bringing that heat all summer. :ahh:

Some of the more notable bits about this new Black Adam series:

"If I had to point to something specific about the character that I found challenging, it’s this notion of his being a flavor of Superman unbound by the traditional ethics, restraints, and values attendant to that genre of superhuman character. Black Adam is a head of state, with all the usual arrogance that suggests. He is Black Panther with superpowers, minus Panther’s nobility."

"He chooses a successor the way most of us choose to pray: we believe we are dying," Priest says. "Once the doctor gives us the all-clear, we’ve forgotten whatever promises we’ve made [laughs]. This is not a considered decision, Adam sifting through thousands of possible candidates. This is more like me hurling a brick out of my window and leaving all my earthly goods to whomever it hits."

"Our new guy is not Adam’s alter ego. He is more like his unwilling sidekick and the dynamic is much more Quantum & Woody than Batman and Robin. At the end of the day, they will have a great deal to teach each other and learn from each other, the question being will our new sidekick inspire Adam, or will Adam’s darkness eclipse his light?"

"Our new Black Adam series is its own animal. It exists completely independent of existing continuity while not contradicting or denying any of it. New readers do not need to 'prep' by reading anything else, do not need to research anything. Much like my Deathstroke series, it begins with “Once upon a time, there was this guy from Kahndaq...” and off we go. Even if you’ve never even read a comic book before, you will be able to dive in and understand everything.

"Rafa and I have our own unique vision for Kahndaq which will mirror Adam’s struggle between his past and his future. An ancient, tiny city-state reflective of Afro-Egyptian culture, but the landscape is dotted with all of these huge construction cranes. Black Adam wants to modernize a secular Kahndaq into his own Wakanda of sorts, but he’s running afoul of both traditionalists desiring more religious influence, and a growing democracy movement Adam has no intention of indulging."

"DC has permitted me to drill down a bit on the character’s heritage and maybe dial his ethnicity in a bit more," Priest says. "Egypt, after all, is in Africa. Approaching Black Adam or Egyptian culture in a culturally neutral way limits the horizons of some great storytelling possibilities, and I am working with DC to modify our approach to more realistically reflect cultural accretions relative to the character."

Priest adds, "For example, I’ve never been a fan of Black Adam having the traditional blue-black hair (I would imagine his hair more accurately should be dark brown and textured, not straight). Further, when moving through the world in his mortal (non-costumed) form, I would imagine Theo Teth-Adam would experience the same kinds of scrutiny and bias so many people of color experience every day. While it is not our goal to be darkly cynical, I believe there’s a great deal of storytelling potential left on the table when we narrow our focus to just the superhero punching stuff."

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
Some of the more notable bits about this new Black Adam series:

"If I had to point to something specific about the character that I found challenging, it’s this notion of his being a flavor of Superman unbound by the traditional ethics, restraints, and values attendant to that genre of superhuman character. Black Adam is a head of state, with all the usual arrogance that suggests. He is Black Panther with superpowers, minus Panther’s nobility."

"He chooses a successor the way most of us choose to pray: we believe we are dying," Priest says. "Once the doctor gives us the all-clear, we’ve forgotten whatever promises we’ve made [laughs]. This is not a considered decision, Adam sifting through thousands of possible candidates. This is more like me hurling a brick out of my window and leaving all my earthly goods to whomever it hits."

"Our new guy is not Adam’s alter ego. He is more like his unwilling sidekick and the dynamic is much more Quantum & Woody than Batman and Robin. At the end of the day, they will have a great deal to teach each other and learn from each other, the question being will our new sidekick inspire Adam, or will Adam’s darkness eclipse his light?"

"Our new Black Adam series is its own animal. It exists completely independent of existing continuity while not contradicting or denying any of it. New readers do not need to 'prep' by reading anything else, do not need to research anything. Much like my Deathstroke series, it begins with “Once upon a time, there was this guy from Kahndaq...” and off we go. Even if you’ve never even read a comic book before, you will be able to dive in and understand everything.

"Rafa and I have our own unique vision for Kahndaq which will mirror Adam’s struggle between his past and his future. An ancient, tiny city-state reflective of Afro-Egyptian culture, but the landscape is dotted with all of these huge construction cranes. Black Adam wants to modernize a secular Kahndaq into his own Wakanda of sorts, but he’s running afoul of both traditionalists desiring more religious influence, and a growing democracy movement Adam has no intention of indulging."

"DC has permitted me to drill down a bit on the character’s heritage and maybe dial his ethnicity in a bit more," Priest says. "Egypt, after all, is in Africa. Approaching Black Adam or Egyptian culture in a culturally neutral way limits the horizons of some great storytelling possibilities, and I am working with DC to modify our approach to more realistically reflect cultural accretions relative to the character."

Priest adds, "For example, I’ve never been a fan of Black Adam having the traditional blue-black hair (I would imagine his hair more accurately should be dark brown and textured, not straight). Further, when moving through the world in his mortal (non-costumed) form, I would imagine Theo Teth-Adam would experience the same kinds of scrutiny and bias so many people of color experience every day. While it is not our goal to be darkly cynical, I believe there’s a great deal of storytelling potential left on the table when we narrow our focus to just the superhero punching stuff."
I guess Black Adam is now going on my pull list

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Black Adam. :wow:

WB knew what they were doing casting The Rock for the movie.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
FN6sGVFVIAIx_zW

I'm glad they decide to do this is a 1 shot oversized issue. Last year's should've been the same.

BTW Percy's Wolverine event has been mid as fukk :unimpressed: Marvel fukked up royally by giving him 3 fukking months of exclusivity for the line instead of starting with Immortal X-Men in January. Inferno was clearly written as a preview for Gillen's book :francis:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
So are they just adding a new member through fan voting or are they overhauling the entire X-Men team?

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
FN6sGVFVIAIx_zW

I'm glad they decide to do this is a 1 shot oversized issue. Last year's should've been the same.

BTW Percy's Wolverine event has been mid as fukk :unimpressed: Marvel fukked up royally by giving him 3 fukking months of exclusivity for the line instead of starting with Immortal X-Men in January. Inferno was clearly written as a preview for Gillen's book :francis:

I'm still disappointed about Hickman leaving and this Wolverine event hasn't helped.
This Gala being a one-shot seems like Marvel is starting to realize that they can't keep milking this Krakoa era.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I saw people on Twitter talking about Hellfire Gala. I didn't realize we were getting another one. :scust:

I actually like the Wolverine event (though I haven't read the last two issues, and it seems like shops are getting both Lives and Deaths together every two weeks). I was prepared to drop every X-Book after Inferno, but I'm liking the Moira stuff. :manny:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I saw people on Twitter talking about Hellfire Gala. I didn't realize we were getting another one. :scust:

I actually like the Wolverine event (though I haven't read the last two issues, and it seems like shops are getting both Lives and Deaths together every two weeks). I was prepared to drop every X-Book after Inferno, but I'm liking the Moira stuff. :manny:

Moira becoming a straight villain with such a trash execution/development is gonna be this era's biggest miss. Her turning her back on mutants is a great idea but how we got there was :snoop: and it's even more disappointing considering it seemed we were going to get there anyways with a better story.

This Gala being a one-shot seems like Marvel is starting to realize that they can't keep milking this Krakoa era.

The fact they gave Hickman the :patrice: :camby: says otherwise. They are for sure milking Krakoa as long as they can. Hellfire Gala being a 1 shot was the most logical decision. They just did two straight events (Inferno and this Wolverine fukkery) and they've been hyping this Avengers x Eternals x Mutants crossover since early in the year so trying to milk the Gala as a crossover would've been straight stupid. I'm glad they didn't go full retard.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Moira becoming a straight villain with such a trash execution/development is gonna be this era's biggest miss. Her turning her back on mutants is a great idea but how we got there was :snoop: and it's even more disappointing considering it seemed we were going to get there anyways with a better story.

The fact they gave Hickman the :patrice: :camby: says otherwise. They are for sure milking Krakoa as long as they can. Hellfire Gala being a 1 shot was the most logical decision. They just did two straight events (Inferno and this Wolverine fukkery) and they've been hyping this Avengers x Eternals x Mutants crossover since early in the year so trying to milk the Gala as a crossover would've been straight stupid. I'm glad they didn't go full retard.

the moira being a villain and the cause of mutant destruction seems to correlate directly to making enemy of the state. what kinda kills all this shyt for me is that this council shyt isnt working. everyone seems to have some sort of underhanded deal going on, but want complete transparency. its like they want you to root for chaos/