Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Oh shyt :ohhh: I thought Tynion was going to be the new n°1 guy in DC.

I guess he's been doing too well with his creator owned stuff and went for the bag :ehh:

And two weeks ago Snyder got a pretty big deal with Amazon too.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh shyt :ohhh: I thought Tynion was going to be the new n°1 guy in DC.

The new number 1 guy at DC is going to be Josh Williamson.

I'm all for it because Robin is one of the best books DC is publishing right now, and while Williamson's Flash run was decent but not anything groundbreaking, it is a perfect example of why you want this guy at the head of your publishing line.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just reread all of Tynion's Batman run over the weekend, and while it's better than Tom King's I'm beyond sick of all of Tynion's OCs. :unimpressed:

Clownhunter is ok, but Ghost Maker is :trash:, and Punchline is way too OP. Miracle Molly hasn't been used much yet, but none of these characters serve any real purpose to the story. They're just there so Tynion can get a kickback if they get used in a show or movie, especially Punchline because there is no doubt in my mind that she'll be used in the Harley Quinn animated series.

Ghost Maker is the absolute WOAT too. He was cool for that one arc, but keeping him around undermines everything Bruce supposedly learned in Joker War. :unimpressed:

As much as I love Tynion, I'm cool with him leaving the book so all these :trash: ass characters can get killed off and never used again. :yeshrug:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
So it's the 60th Anniversary of Fantastic Four #1.

Which iteration of the team is everyone's favorite?
E8Chc-5XMAkM_z9

I personally don't enjoy Reed Richards so any team without him is usually what I like. My favorite would probably be the team that Black Panther and Storm were on with Ben and Johnny.

E8OCCqfX0Agyn-A
Everyone bought that version and of course the infamous armbar
8:41

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
yeah when I saw it at first I was like oh he must be using her for something then I see she has communication privileges and has her own budget to use.
I was like no way :dead:

I need pics of this. :wtf:

On more Batman news, they need to make Ra's al Ghul into a legit DC powerhouse of a villain. Like into another General Zod or Lex Luthor or Darkseid, outside of the Batman cast.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Interesting, Hickman will be doing stuff in substack too. He's teaming up with Mike Del Mundo and Mike Huddleston to create a new comic universe. Al Ewing, Tini Howard and Ram V are collaborating in making the ground work and "rules" of it.

THREE WORLDS. THREE MOONS. Gonna copy/paste the most interesting part of the whole thing. It sounds like dude might make this his priority, so people speculating he was leaving after Inferno might be right after all :mjcry:. Also interesting on him pushing hard for the X-books to be online exclusive due to the pandemic.
So, I’ve spent the last couple of years helping head up the X-Men office at Marvel and it’s been a pretty fascinating ride. Tried a lot of stuff, learned a lot of stuff.

But the biggest thing I wanted to try never came to fruition because Diamond (our largest comic book distributor in the North American comic industry) was able to get back up in the middle of the pandemic and start shipping books again, when, for a few weeks, it looked like they might not be able to. This was a good thing, of course, but when the news first hit that they were halting distribution, Marvel paused a huge chunk of their line and I was pretty concerned that the company would make increasingly radical decisions regarding content and deliverability because the one thing Marvel doesn’t tolerate is a prolonged assault on profit margins.

So with the mindset of chaos breeds opportunity, I sat down and wrote up a plan to take the entire X-line digital.

Which went absolutely nowhere because Diamond and the market recovered. Again, that was great because everyone had their jobs restarted and the stores got to stay open and the fans got to have new comics to read, but there were some pretty great ideas baked into the plan I wrote and I was secretly kind of bummed that I wouldn’t be able to try them.

And then this opportunity presented itself.

The two biggest problems with the way we make comics now are: 1.) Because of the solicit/previews/pre-order hierarchy we’ve systemically erased surprise from the industry, and... 2.) We’re locked into a static storytelling format based entirely on an existing economic model.

I want the content of comics to be like it is now, where you can tell huge sweeping stories that are serialized and the art styles are varied and sophisticated. But I want the experience of comics to be like it used to be, where when you went to the store you had no idea what was going to be there, and when you saw the cover and the art it was for the first time.

I want to be able to tell stories of varying lengths. I want the format to be based on what the story demands instead of how many 20 page issues (chapters) eventually make up a trade. And most of all, I want to be able to drop a story without notice on any day we want and for it to just be sitting there, waiting for you, like the gift these things are supposed to be.

With all that in mind, the idea of doing this was too much fun to pass up.

E8XMlqHXoAEy2Zc.jpg

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Interesting, Hickman will be doing stuff in substack too. He's teaming up with Mike Del Mundo and Mike Huddleston to create a new comic universe. Al Ewing, Tini Howard and Ram V are collaborating in making the ground work and "rules" of it.

THREE WORLDS. THREE MOONS. Gonna copy/paste the most interesting part of the whole thing. It sounds like dude might make this his priority, so people speculating he was leaving after Inferno might be right after all :mjcry:. Also interesting on him pushing hard for the X-books to be online exclusive due to the pandemic.
That all sounds intriguing.

I honestly expected the monthly format to end up going digital sooner rather than later especially after the pause in 2020.

It will be interesting to see just how successful Hickman and Co's (as well as Tynion) attempt at it will be.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Welp, Drake is a member of the alphabet gang.
Robin Comes Out as Bisexual in New Batman Comic
I don't care about Tim being gay/bi/straight whatever but I do have an issue with the idea of a "lightbulb moment" signifying to Tim that he likes dudes.
It just comes off as such a hacky cliched way to get to the end point that they wanted for the character.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I don't care about Tim being gay/bi/straight whatever but I do have an issue with the idea of a "lightbulb moment" signifying to Tim that he likes dudes.
It just comes off as such a hacky cliched way to get to the end point that they wanted for the character.

Yeah, that's my thing. It's the way they been doing it.

verbalkint

I see you niccas...
Daps
Reppin
Queens
Harley can't stay on the anti-hero/villain fence forever so this was a natural progression for her I think. Also Batman is big on giving people second chances so this tracks for his character as well.
Ive always wanted a moment between her and Jason where he asks if she would've helped beat him to death if she was there lol.