Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
:lolbron: at bendis hating hank pym
i knew he was going to die
in his interview i think at newsrama sounds like he dislikes him for abusing Jane :huhldup: breh it's a damn comic book ! Let it go

And it is not like Pym was whooping Wasp's ass on a daily basis...the dude introduced her to the back of his hand while going through a nervous breakdown.
And several writers did some really cool stories showing how Pym redeemed himself but a hack like Bendis is stuck on one panel of an issue of The Avengers that came out in the 1980s.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'll speak on that...

Look, when it comes to Cyclops, its not that he is a "killer" now that has everyone mad, its that he was the STANDARD of what an X-Man is supposed to be and the fact he had this fall from grace shook a lot of the X-men to the core. Whether Logan or Havok admit it or not (and they both HAVE in the past) they ALL look up to Cyclops when it comes to being a hero and an X-Man. He's been the guy everyone looked to for leadership in the hard times and was the #1 student of Xavier. For him to be the one to actually kill charles basically shattered the image of hero-worship most of the X-Men have.

As ANXM touched on, EVERY single X-Man really doesn't hate Scott, nor would they not welcome him back in a second if he came to their door looking for sanctuary. Its the fact that he did what he did and is unapologetic about it that burns them all up about it.

It's like... in the Avengers, nobody trips when Thor, Iron Man or Widow kill someone, but if Cap killed someone in front of them all, they would all feel a bit of disappointment there.

I get what your saying and it's valid ( outside of the cap comment if he had a good reason to kill that would be ok since he's a solider and if you think about it the way he dispatches of some of the nameless hydra, a.i.m. Goons they must die) but the realq problem with cyke criticism is the writing of him kind of makes them look like dikks and haters . Cyke is a jerk himself but come on he was under the Phoenix's influence and he was right technically . Ironmans stupid ass split up the Phoenix and the force did restart mutant life so cyke won :smugdraper::smugdraper:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
and they want to make an ant man movie

prolly why they're doing some lame ass event centered around him and this'll prolly revamp his character to be used in the movies.

comics I'm getting this week?

Wonder Woman
Thief of Thieves
Cable and X Force (which seemed to have gotten better)
Captain America
Daredevil End of Days
Nova
Superior Spiderman
X-Factor
Bloodshot
XO Manowar

Kinda a slow week.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Wow the latest issue of Age of Ultron may be the worst one yet.
At the very least Hitch's art was able to pick up the slack of Bendis' shytty writing but this issue had Brandon Peterson drawing the stuff set in the past and Carlos Pacheco drawing the stuff set in the future.
Peterson's stuff ws stiff and looked rushed while Pacheco's stuff looked sloppy as fukk because of the inker. You can't even recognize any of Pacheco in the art it is so fukked up.
And Bendis has written the absolute worst Sue Richards ever. She comes off like an indecisive, naive, sidekick instead of one of the most powerful heroes and veteran heroes in the Marvel U.
It was just utter bullshyt from start to finish. If I wasn't getting this shyt for free I damn sure wouldn't be reading it.

I would normally agree with this but the first five issues setup the notion that the heroes left are at a total loss in how to deal with this.. They've lost everyone they ever loved or cared about. Nobody is thinking clearly. I suspect that Fury took Cap with him (high moral standards) into slaughter because he knew what Wolverine was going to do.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
What the fukk was Sue Richards and Wolverine teaimg up for in Wolverine and the X Men last week? Lol. Apparently it was Age of Ultron connected but they kept acting like Pym's life was the be and end all of saving the future:laugh:

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
What the fukk was Sue Richards and Wolverine teaimg up for in Wolverine and the X Men last week? Lol. Apparently it was Age of Ultron connected but they kept acting like Pym's life was the be and end all of saving the future:laugh:

you get rid of Ultron and it helps there current situation. But the butterfly affect will deff happen. Sue knows it is going to happen but without Reed she does not know what to do. At least when it comes to thinking.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
I would normally agree with this but the first five issues setup the notion that the heroes left are at a total loss in how to deal with this.. They've lost everyone they ever loved or cared about. Nobody is thinking clearly. I suspect that Fury took Cap with him (high moral standards) into slaughter because he knew what Wolverine was going to do.

yeah the world is destroyed the heroes do not know what to do. Look at Cap in the first issue dude was having a nervous breakdown.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Age of Ultron #6 was kinda stupid. Also I'm not sure where they're going with Batman but they killed Damian and now they're erasing Jason Todds memories. Stop trying to fix what ain't broken.

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jonah Hex gets a Gold boost in 'All-Star Western' series
Brian Truitt, USA TODAY11:49 a.m. EDT April 22, 2013
The futuristic Booster Gold stars in a new story arc that will take the Old West antihero into modern day.
Gold pic

(Photo: DC Comics)
Story Highlights

'All-Star Western' begins a new arc pairing series star Jonah Hex with Booster Gold
The story line will take Hex from the Old West to modern day
Writers will continue to explore the theme of heroes and how Hex fits that mold

Jonah Hex and Booster Gold — BFFs?

Hex, the disfigured bounty hunter with the ugly disposition in DC Comics' All-Star Western series, doesn't even like the folks in his own time period of the Old West, so what's he going to think of a splashy superhero from the 25th century?

Writers Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti script the pair's first meeting and adventure together in All-Star Western issue 19 (available on Wednesday in comic shops and digitally), and it begins a new story line that will shift the main feature of the series from the past to DC Universe present.

"It's still Jonah so the fun part is it's still the miserable, dangerous b*stard running around. It's just that the world around him is going to eventually change," Palmiotti says.

Gray promises "a very exciting summer in this book. It's going to be a lot of things people don't expect to see."

Booster will be the first fish out of water when he shows up in Jonah's era — to the ornery antihero, Booster looks more like he's straight from the circus — and he offers a different dynamic from relationships Jonah's had in the book with characters such as Dr. Amadeus Arkham and Tallulah Black.

Not a slapstick situation, though, according to Gray.

"There's more dark humor but it's a serious story," he says, "and it's fitting Booster into Hex's world and seeing what this person, this superhero, would do in a world where there are none and everything is basically the law of the Wild West."

In past DC comics, Booster Gold has been presented as a self-absorbed, over-the-top, chest-beating "I'm a hero!" character, Gray says, but he and Palmiotti are writing him in a more grounded fashion where he's not a team leader or futuristic do-gooder.

"It's not the same context as wearing a uniform and representing an ideal that we see so commonly portrayed in the DC Universe," he explains. "Batman has his ideology, Superman has his, and Booster to his credit has his own. But his viewing himself as a hero is interesting because he's in an environment where Hex is more suited to surviving than he is.

"That's an eye-opening experience in some ways for Booster — and for Jonah sort of to be confronted with the future, especially for someone who met Thomas Edison and didn't really like his idea of the future.

Palmiotti adds that readers will see a lot of Booster's personality come out as he's out of his element.

"We're going to see Booster thinking on his feet," he says. "He's pressed into a situation right away in the book that is a lot bigger than he can handle, and Jonah has a firm grasp of what's going on and Booster is coming into it and trying to figure out not only why he's there and what he's doing there but also solve what's been dumped on him."

The twosome are on the case when three men are found dead, and readers will be seeing the Old West through Booster's eyes, Palmiotti says, "taking a really close look at the world before the turn of the century and how somebody from the past would look at our world how things are there" before All-Star Western shifts into a later time.

Modern day will bring a whole host of different characters into the series, and for those missing Arkham — whom Jonah left in his dust at the end of issue 18 —

"fate is going to have Jonah cross paths with one of the good doctor's descendants," Palmiotti says. "That's going to be a main drive through the later issues."

Even though it's moving into the present, the series is keeping the All-Star Western name, Gray says. "We're looking at different ways to present a Western story, even if it happens to take place in 2013."

The backup stories, which will continue the current 19th-century Stormwatch arc for a few months, will also flirt with more modern times as well and continue to let Gray and Palmiotti experiment with DC's history of characters and introduce new ones like the Barbary Ghost.

"It's a whole other playground we get to mess with," Palmiotti says. "That's the cool thing about the book — you get 30 pages of material you're not going to see anywhere else."

Since its start at the beginning of DC's "New 52" relaunch, All-Star Western has been a hallmark of consistency. While other titles have had musical chairs in its creative lineup, the two writers and artist Moritat have done every issue. Plus, Palmiotti says, they've always kept right on Jonah as a primary focus while a lot of other books have jumped around with their characters.

But tossing Jonah into a place that's completely different for him will keep All-Star Western fresh and interesting for its two scribes — who also co-write Batwing and Ame-Comi Girls — as well as their loyal fan base.

"One of the themes we have touched on often is the idea that someone's interpretation of a hero can differ greatly," Gray says. "He's not traumatized by something in the same classical sense as a Batman or a Punisher. He's completely psychologically wired differently and his sense of justice is constantly in the gray area.

"Jonah exists in a time where he could be looked at an antihero — does that translate to modern times, or would he be considered just a psychopath?"

About the Author
Brian Truitt
Brian Truitt

A shameless geek, Brian Truitt covers all things nerd for USA TODAY, from movies to comic books to TV. You'd mistake him for Clark Kent if not for the hammer of Thor and TARDIS bobblehead on his desk.
related stories
Reis draws the most super of heroes for 'Justice League'8 days ago
Thor's world grows 'Dark' with new trailer22 hours ago
'Dancing With the Stars' eliminates sweet athlete48 minutes ago
MTV cancels 'Buckwild' after W.Va. star's death13 days ago
USA NOW
Hack Attack and the power of twitter: USA NOW video
Apr 23, 2013
More Stories:
'The Testament of Mary': Full of grace and compassion
'The Testament of Mary': Full of grace and compassion
Life | 1 day ago
Scientists unlock Old Faithful's big secret
Scientists unlock Old Faithful's big secret
Nation | 3 days ago
TV on the Web: Marc Maron in a galaxy far far away
TV on the Web: Marc Maron in a galaxy far far away
Life | 2 days ago
Mighty Mug is The Best Thing for Coffee Since Milk (video) - WasherDryerInfo
Mighty Mug is The Best Thing for Coffee Since Milk (video) - WasherDryerInfo
Washer Dryer Info |
Stunning Photo Of Emma Watson From The VMAs
Stunning Photo Of Emma Watson From The VMAs
StyleBistro | 12-31-1969
Conan O'Brien calls it &quotHilarious!". Watch Burning Love Now.
Play Video
Conan O'Brien calls it "Hilarious!". Watch…
Yahoo! Screen | 12-31-1969
Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale on Board for 'Justice League'?
Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale on Board for…
STACK | 03-15-2013
Breaking News: 'DWTSן¾’ Judge Carrie Ann: From Pain Patient to Caretaker
Breaking News: 'DWTSן¾’ Judge Carrie Ann: From…
Lifescript.com | 04-09-2012

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mark Millar's Jupiter's Legacy...probably check for this

feb130379.jpg

Also 'The Movement' Previews

MOVEM_1_1.jpg

CBR News: What gave you the initial idea for "The Movement?" Was it sparked entirely by the Occupy protests, or were there other factors involved?

Gail Simone launches "The Movement" at DC Comics in May
Art by Freddie Williams II

Gail Simone: I have this feeling that a lot of the best adventure fiction is based on the idea of standing up for the little guy against oppressive forces. If you go back and look at Zorro, or the Shadow, or the Lone Ranger, you can pretty quickly see that that idea of a masked protector pre-dates comics entirely.

There's something very powerful about that, and it's completely non-partisan. The idea of someone laying their life on the line for others is a big part of why I read superhero comics, and yet, even in some really popular books, I feel like that theme has been lost a little -- there's a bloodthirstiness to a lot of books and you can't always see why these characters are heroes, or even admirable anymore.

This book isn't about the Occupy movement, it's a superhero adventure story. But at its heart it's about young, poor people, who normally would be without power in society, who actually manage to fight back, not for themselves, but for others who are powerless.

They mess up. They lack experience and wisdom. But they're trying.

What is "The Movement" about? Is this your traditional superhero team, or will this be much more political and left-leaning?

It's a question of what you call "political." Most comics, the villainy is pretty safe and comfortable. Our idea is to touch on some things that are really happening, see what happens when you put superpowers in those stories.

I wouldn't say it's left-leaning, that sounds pretty simplistic. But I always think back about how Superman used to fight against slumlords and things like "Green Lantern/Green Arrow" dealing with teen drug addiction. It seems weird if we don't at least touch on these social issues that our teenagers are growing up with in 2013.

There has been some speculation on what characters will appear in the series, especially in light of comments that a benched DC character will be part of the book. Who is in "The Movement?" Is it all DC characters readers may be familiar, or are there new characters you're creating for this?

It's mostly new characters, but a couple might have subtle ties to the DCU at large. I am absolutely in love with the core cast, I think they're fresh and thrilling and unlike the characters in any other comic.

Simone said she hasn't had this much fun since writing "Secret Six"

That said, sharp-eyed readers have already spotted two familiar characters; Katharsis, the brutal avenger from the popular Knightfall arc in "Batgirl," and Tremor, a wonderful badass character who appeared in the pre-[New] 52 "Secret Six."

It's a cast of favorites for me; I haven't had this much fun with a cast since the Secret Six!

When "The Movement" was first announced you spoke about the concept, adding that what really fascinated you was the idea of a "repulsive" hacktivist group being able to organize and gain power. Does that fear come into play in "The Movement?"

Yeah, absolutely. It's clear that protest in the days of the Internet has changed, and the idea of an anonymous group of hacktivists with their own idea of social justice is something we've seen take serious root. And they can be tremendously powerful, they can make information a weapon.

The question in my mind is, what happens if there's a group like that, with that kind of anonymity and reach, and they stand for ideals we absolutely find grotesque? What if there's a group that is, say for example, white supremacist, or committed to violence against other Americans, using the same tactics?

Again, I think a lot of villainy in comics is pretty inbred at this point, I'm interested to see some new obstacles, some new nightmares. I want comics to grow and evolve, we can't do that just writing the same things over and over.

From all you've said about the book, you're clearly dealing with some very interesting and very complex ideas in "The Movement." To your mind, what makes superhero comics a good place to tackle these big ideas, versus an indie book or any other type of media?

All of those places are a good place to tackle this stuff!

I like allegory, I love fantasy. What I hate is being preached at, being sermonized to, in genre fiction. I always feel if you have to make your point by having superheroes give weepy speeches, you've probably done your job badly, as a writer.

Simone wants "The Movement" to tackle different issues than the majority of modern comics

Again, my thinking is, what would happen if a group like the Teen Titans or the X-Men were created today? These groups were created for the kids of fifty years ago. Most of the readership wasn't even alive then, and as much as I love both those groups, I think a teen hero book today should look and feel different, should feel like something from today's world.

Similarly, there's a very fine line between entertainment media being inspired by real world political events, and just using movements for face value. How do you strike that balance between writing an entertaining story and making sure that it still treats those big political ideas it is inspired by seriously?

Oh, I think we can do better than just paying lip service to this stuff. For me, it's still about fascinating characters doing extraordinary things. On the one hand, a book like, say, "Birds of Prey," is about female empowerment, sure. But when you're reading it, it's just (hopefully) a ripping yarn about kickass characters you really care about, doing amazing things and just generally being awesome.

I love writing team books and I am wild about this team, that's the fun of it.

Speaking of teams, I have to say, this is one of the happiest, most creatively fulfilling teams I've ever worked with. The editors are awesome, Joey Cavalieri and Kyle Andrukiewicz, they're always adding some cool new bit and are a joy to work with. Then we have covers by my much beloved Amanda Conner, whom I've wanted to work with for a decade, now, with interiors by Freddie Williams II, who is just astonishing us with his vision of the city every issue. You've never seen work like this from Freddie before, it's gritty and yet the fantasy element is all over it.

I am really, really happy.

I hope people try this book. It's new, it's got the DCU all over and up inside of it, it's full of little mysteries and intrigues that will make DC readers smile, and some characters I love will be showing up soon. This book is part of the future of the DC Universe, and it's a very different world. I love that.

Finally, I know amid all the speculation of what the book is about, you and your fans took to Twitter with the hashtag #madeupmovementfacts. Care to share any of your favorites?

Simone launched #madeupmovementfacts on twitter to promote the series

HA! I'd forgotten about that. When the book was announced, it was immediately trounced by some weirdoes on a bunch of political websites (left and right), which is fair enough, but as they didn't have any facts yet to go on (just a tiny bit of copy and one promotional image), they promptly made up goofy facts to be mad about. Which I guess shows you how low the standards for this stuff have become.

So I made up a hashtag about fake facts about the book, and a couple of my favorites were:

Starman Morrison‏ (@GeekyGeekyWays): For every issue of The Movement that is sold, .50 cents will be donated to a fund to launch Paris Hilton into space.

Travis McClain, Esq. (‏@TravisSMcClain): Pope Benedict's resignation was forced by the revealing of certain facts in @GailSimone's forthcoming book #MOVEMENT. #madeupmovementfacts

Joe Caramagna (‏@JoeCaramagna): The inciting incident of The Movement is the consumption of a bran muffin. @GailSimone #madeupmovementfacts

Adam Chmelka (‏@AdamChmelka): @GailSimone's upcoming Movement comic is a touching coming-of-age story about a teenage Adolf Hitler. #madeupmovementfacts

I don't know, they made me laugh at the time!

"The Movement" begins May 1.