Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Milestone Universe Relaunch Reveals New Static Shock Origin

When Milestone returns to DC, there will be a new Static Shock origin as part of it.

As part of day two of DC’s big comic con pandemic substitute, DC Comics has made a metric ton of comics available for free online. Included in that passel of books are several from Milestone Comics – some classic issues of Icon, Hardware, and Static Shock, along with Milestone Returns #0, the kickoff to the big return of the Black-owned comic company slated for February. And there’s a pretty big surprise contained within.

The book is written by Reggie Hudlin and Greg Pak, with art from DC Publisher Jim Lee, Brothers Bond artist Ryan Benjamin; Teen Titans artist Khoi Pham; and Milestone co-founder Denys Cowan. Each artist gets a different introduction, and Benjamin and Hudlin rework Static’s origin to be a touch more timely.

In this new Milestone, Static gets his powers by being teargassed at a Black Lives Matter protest. On its face, this is a fairly big shift from his comics origin. He was initially given his superheroic abilities from sinister scientific experiments, back when Milestone first launched. But that was almost 30 years and one infinitely ceaseless pandemic March ago – the world has changed quite a bit since then, and it’s going to be interesting to see how Static, already an especially relatable teenage superhero that comics seems to do so well, also shifts with the times.

It’s also not impossible to imagine Static’s new origin dovetailing with his old one, with the Dakota City PD using an experimental formulation of tear gas that they bought as cheap surplus military equipment from an inattentive federal government and made by an evil arms company on the government dime.

Link:
Milestone Universe Relaunch Reveals New Static Shock Origin | Den of Geek

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I firmly believe only Peter Tomasi and Grant Morrison can write Damian well. He's the most insufferable little shyt under basically anyone else.

Doesn't help that writers act like him being Batman's biological son automatically makes him more important than the other Bat kids. Nevermind that kind of thinking ruins the entire concept of the Bat family.
To me I like Damian and feel like most writers can write him however for the storyline the use him in most are just about ohhh is he gonna then evil or ohh Damian doing something bad Bruce won’t like it . The focus on him and Jon in supersons I loved . I like when he’s the little prep time Batman in attitude overly cocky aNd self assured but usually makes mistakes due to his arrogance . What may help as I get it that a lot don’t like him is to have him go the Tim drake /impulse / miles morales route and live with someone else or go to boarding school and get his own cast of characters and have to deal with the hiding his identity and being a kid with a cast of supporting characters who are unique to him . Have him focus on being a hero a actual hero and combine that with his upbringing. It does get tiring that he chose to stay with Batman an be a hero and yet always is on the verge of or crossing the line

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
M2wUHBR.jpg

a5MS1Ix.jpg

4TyfmlH.jpg

3JMR6am.jpg

4NnTadJ.jpg

vn9oFzO.jpg

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
Milestone Universe Relaunch Reveals New Static Shock Origin

When Milestone returns to DC, there will be a new Static Shock origin as part of it.

Link:
Milestone Universe Relaunch Reveals New Static Shock Origin | Den of Geek
I don't have a problem with this retcon. I'm assuming there's more to it since teargassing in of itself can't plausibly give superpowers. I'm guessing maybe the police were using teargas that had experimental chemicals infused in it or something like that.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I don't have a problem with this retcon. I'm assuming there's more to it since teargassing in of itself can't plausibly give superpowers. I'm guessing maybe the police were using teargas that had experimental chemicals infused in it or something like that.
That's exactly what happened in the original origin story. Tear gas that had been experimented on by a shadowy organization resulted in the "Big Bang" that created all of the super-powered people in the Milestone Universe.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
That's exactly what happened in the original origin story. Tear gas that had been experimented on by a shadowy organization resulted in the "Big Bang" that created all of the super-powered people in the Milestone Universe.

Yeah, and the cartoon was the best example of it.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
Okay. My memory of how he got his powers is murky. I thought it was in a gang fight near a chemical plant that exploded. Since this retcon is pretty much the same just a gang fight setting swapped out for a BLM protest, then that is actually better.