Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
With Bendis leaving both Superman books in December, Young Justice ending in November, and Event Leviathan being cancelled, I wonder if Bendis is on his way out at DC. The solicit for Legion of Super-Heroes doesn't say it's the final issue, but it sounds like his run is wrapping up on that book too.

I wouldn't be surprised since apparently DiDio was the one who pushed for him to come to DC. After he was fired, I bet both sides were just waiting out their contract.

Though I could be wrong, and they're just moving everybody around for the post-Death Metal landscape. Over the next few months, nearly every book is getting cancelled or the writer is leaving without a permanent replacement announced.
I have been pretty meh on most of Bendis' DC run.

I give him props for bringing back Young Justice and The Legion of Superheroes and I enjoyed the Wonder Comics imprint (Dial H for Hero and The Wonder Twins were both really good books) but his writing just hasn't been hitting for me.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
https://www.gamesradar.com/dc-december-solicitations-covers/

Bendis leaves Superman and Action Comics in December. :ohhh:

This Endless Winter event taking up half the line. :picard:
That Endless Winter event is doing nothing for me based off those solicits. And how you gonna do a giant crossover featuring a Norse snow god without any mention of Ice/Icemaiden?

That Gary Frank image for Dark Knights: Death Metal: Secret Origins is cool though.

And I'm intrigued to see just how they have reworked the 5G event into this Generations comic.

And the cover for that Legion of Super-Heroes TPB is so fukking trippy it has me now eager to track down that issue of the book so I can find out just what the hell was going on:
2u7JRad.jpg

Last edited:

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What I wanna know is when are we getting a Bendis/Maleev run on Green Arrow? shyt is such an easy layup. :mindblown:

shyt would sell itself, but Bendis wanted to hold both of them hostage for that stupid ass Leviathan shyt that nobody cared about. :mindblown:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
With Netflix and Crunchyroll co-financing 'animes' with western writers and crew, does anyone think Boom, Image or IDW should get in the game of teaming up with one of them for anime adaptations of their books?

Obviously, the name of the game in Hollywood is live action adaptations, but I think series based on books like Monstress, Once and Future or Saga would be better suited for animation, especially if they stay faithful and aren't just raided for the IP.

A Miyazaki-style film adaptation of Canto from IDW would be an instant Oscar contender if done right.

The only downside I see is working out the deals with their creator owned and especially licensed books.
I could definitely see Monstress and Saga getting animated

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Brehs, I know things change when new writers n editors come along.....but I hate how Black Ant aka Eric O’Grady, Taskmaster, Constrictor, Paladin, and Diamondback, Songbird made such great great character turns in “The Heroic Age” and are now back to being two bit criminals n henchmen again (I don’t know what Songbird is doing nowadays). Those characters finally had significant progress from being just basic villains and were becoming interesting. I feel like Marvel REALLY dropped the ball with Eric O’Grady. He was dope on his own and as an Avenger trying to do the right thing.

Thought Eric died and got replaced by a robot
Songbird has been a hero far longer then she was a villain for.

Taskmaster they fukked up with... by trying to make him a hero to begin with. Dude shoulda just stayed a merc

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Well, that's why I specifically referred to anime. The anime audience is already conditioned to check out the source material of their favorite shows, and they're more likely to get into the manga (or light novel, visual novel, et al.) to read ahead of the story and/or skip the filler. Obviously, if you want your book to have its name in the cultural zeitgeist, Hollywood is the way to go, but to build the comic book industry, I think appealing to the anime crowd will get more eyes on the books.

We already know the MCU movies do not cause any noticeable increase in comic sales, and for every successful comic book adaptation like The Boys or Umbrella Academy, you have several failures like Vagrant Queen, Happy, or Deadly Class, who definitely see even less of a bump. Or you get shows like Walking Dead and Runaways, where the producers look at the first trade, go, "Yeah, that'll make a good storyboard for our pilot," and then go in whatever direction they want with the show. So the TV and comic book audiences are entirely different.

A faithful anime adaptation of an American comic would potentially be marketing for the book, especially if the trades are reprinted around the same time. I posted about this on Reddit, and someone responded how Demon Slayer graphic novel sales exploded after the anime debuted, and even mediocre animes see their source material get a decent sales boost.

I'm just thinking in terms of how to grow the industry. We've seen Marvel produce graphic novels that are the same size and price as a manga volume in the past, and DC is trying to appeal to that crowd (at least tangentially) with their YA books. And with shows like Castlevania, God of High School, and Tower of God, the anime audience doesn't have any sort of purity test about the shows not being solely made in Japan. They grew up on shows like Avatar and Teen Titans, so I don't see any reason these shows wouldn't appeal to that audience.

The only issue I see is the comicsgate crowd, who moved to anime and manga specifically to get away from western comics.

Gotta keep it 100 being on sci-fi channel killed those shows.

Also I didn't know Vagrant Queen came from a comic :skip:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Al Ewing getting an X-Book :ohlawd:

Reading the end of the Avengers-Empyre's Aftermath, I hope he gotta write that story/team :feedme:

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Al Ewing getting an X-Book :ohawd:

Reading the end of the Avengers-Empyre's Aftermath, I hope he gets to write that story/team :feedme:

I wonder if it's just for the X of Swords event or if he's going to be on one of the ongoing books?

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I wonder if it's just for the X of Swords event or if he's going to be on one of the ongoing books?

I don't think he would tease that team lead by Abigail Brand in the Empyre aftermath tie in if he's not writing it (unless Hickman asked for a favor). I guess that book would be his ongoing. Not sure how that would be connected to X of Swords though so I'm interested what Monday's announcement will be about.

Hickman has also talked about having the writer for the Moira ongoing book locked a long ass time ago, and that he was just waiting to get that started once DoX is settled. Would be :wow: if that writer was Ewing.