Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I know I'm like a broken record but Fernando Pasarin is doing amazing work drawing the Hawkman book. This is from this week's Hawkamn #27:

Ehf3ApXXkAA9YfQ
And this one.

Hawkman.jpg

reigun

Superstar
Daps
I'm so happy the Justice Society is back. They're far from my favorite characters - I only really like Jay, Alan, and Wildcat - but the DC Universe just feels less full without them.

I feel that way about a lot of DC and Marvel, actually. There are parts of each I don't necessarily like or think much of, but I don't want them to go anywhere. I'll never pick up a Legion of Superheroes book, but damn if I wouldn't be upset if their goofy asses suddenly disappeared. Hopefully DC continues to bring back those elements of their universe that made it unique.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
Web of Venom made me like Wraith. I was kinda meh on him when they introduced hm way way back in Annihilation. They really had him in the pile of cool characters that they create but don't know how to write or use.

But I get it. It's gotta be kinda hard to have this dark and brooding Eric of Melinbogne byronic space hero. Adam Warlock been doing that since the 70s

John Reena

Superstar
Daps
When the JSA come back?!
I thought there were gonna bring em back after this Dark Metal multiverse crap.

reigun

Superstar
Daps
dikk Grayson is back as Nightwing! :blessed:

Tim Drake is back as Robin and not some bullshyt Drake and Red Robin.:blessed:

fukk Damian Wayne! :scust:
I firmly believe only Peter Tomasi and Grant Morrison can write Damian well. He's the most insufferable little shyt under basically anyone else.

Doesn't help that writers act like him being Batman's biological son automatically makes him more important than the other Bat kids. Nevermind that kind of thinking ruins the entire concept of the Bat family.

DeJuan

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Texas
I firmly believe only Peter Tomasi and Grant Morrison can write Damian well. He's the most insufferable little shyt under basically anyone else.

Doesn't help that writers act like him being Batman's biological son automatically makes him more important than the other Bat kids. Nevermind that kind of thinking ruins the entire concept of the Bat family.

I've been wanting Tim back as Robin. I started reading right when Jason was killed...(I'm old) and my Robin is Tim. I always thought Damian should've taken the Talon name and stayed Nightwings partner. Nightwing and Talon sounds just as good as Batman and Robin to me. But that's my opinion and then again a lot of people see Nightwing as Batman-lite so it would seem redundant to most people.

reigun

Superstar
Daps
I've been wanting Tim back as Robin. I started reading right when Jason was killed...(I'm old) and my Robin is Tim. I always thought Damian should've taken the Talon name and stayed Nightwings partner. Nightwing and Talon sounds just as good as Batman and Robin to me. But that's my opinion and then again a lot of people see Nightwing as Batman-lite so it would seem redundant to most people.
The thing with Damian is that the fundamental conceit of his character is that he's basically Bruce minus an adult's maturity. That worked fine in Morrison's run on "Batman and Robin," as the whole idea was to flip the Batman and Robin dynamic by having Batman be the more lighthearted and easygoing character and Robin be the all business serious one. However, what that means is Damain becomes really grating outside of that dynamic if you don't know how to properly balance him out. Further compounding the issue is that I don't feel like Damian, in all the time that he's been with us, has developed much of a unique personality or identity as Robin. dikk is the charismatic leader and heart of the team, Jason is the rebel, Tim is the good soldier and apprentice detective. Hell, even Stephanie has a place has the failed Robin who found herself as Batgirl (and now Spoiler).

It's funny that you mention redundancy because that basically is the biggest problem with Damian's character. He's become redundant outside of being Batman's son, and they can only make that work by marginalizing the other Robins. The run on Super Sons was the closest we came to seeing Damian actually growing as a character, but even that was largely because the dynamic between him and Jon mirrored the Clark and Bruce dynamic in a lot of ways. I haven't read the Teen Titans run with him in it, but what I've seen suggest we're still going through the same beats of him being mini-Batman minus some of Bruce's moral hangups (so...mini-Red Hood?) instead of a unique presence.

Tim works better as a Robin for Bruce because while Tim has a similar personality to Bruce, he's different enough that it allows Tim to function as a unique presence that you can actually enjoy.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
With Bendis leaving both Superman books in December, Young Justice ending in November, and Event Leviathan being cancelled, I wonder if Bendis is on his way out at DC. The solicit for Legion of Super-Heroes doesn't say it's the final issue, but it sounds like his run is wrapping up on that book too.

I wouldn't be surprised since apparently DiDio was the one who pushed for him to come to DC. After he was fired, I bet both sides were just waiting out their contract.

Though I could be wrong, and they're just moving everybody around for the post-Death Metal landscape. Over the next few months, nearly every book is getting cancelled or the writer is leaving without a permanent replacement announced.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
With Bendis leaving both Superman books in December, Young Justice ending in November, and Event Leviathan being cancelled, I wonder if Bendis is on his way out at DC. The solicit for Legion of Super-Heroes doesn't say it's the final issue, but it sounds like his run is wrapping up on that book too.

I wouldn't be surprised since apparently DiDio was the one who pushed for him to come to DC. After he was fired, I bet both sides were just waiting out their contract.

Though I could be wrong, and they're just moving everybody around for the post-Death Metal landscape. Over the next few months, nearly every book is getting cancelled or the writer is leaving without a permanent replacement announced.
I'm sure they will put Bendis on another book to ruin. Morrison is leaving The Green Lantern after Season 2 ends so I wouldn't be surprised if Bendis takes over, painfully forces Teen Lantern into the Green Lantern universe and makes things horrible for everyone with reading skills.