Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

John Reena

Superstar
Daps
Brehs, I know things change when new writers n editors come along.....but I hate how Black Ant aka Eric O’Grady, Taskmaster, Constrictor, Paladin, and Diamondback, Songbird made such great great character turns in “The Heroic Age” and are now back to being two bit criminals n henchmen again (I don’t know what Songbird is doing nowadays). Those characters finally had significant progress from being just basic villains and were becoming interesting. I feel like Marvel REALLY dropped the ball with Eric O’Grady. He was dope on his own and as an Avenger trying to do the right thing.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Brehs, I know things change when new writers n editors come along.....but I hate how Black Ant aka Eric O’Grady, Taskmaster, Constrictor, Paladin, and Diamondback, Songbird made such great great character turns in “The Heroic Age” and are now back to being two bit criminals n henchmen again (I don’t know what Songbird is doing nowadays). Those characters finally had significant progress from being just basic villains and were becoming interesting. I feel like Marvel REALLY dropped the ball with Eric O’Grady. He was dope on his own and as an Avenger trying to do the right thing.
What book is Diamonback a crook again?

Gail Simone had her as part of Domino's crew doing hero shyt for cash not even 2 years ago.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
With Netflix and Crunchyroll co-financing 'animes' with western writers and crew, does anyone think Boom, Image or IDW should get in the game of teaming up with one of them for anime adaptations of their books?

Obviously, the name of the game in Hollywood is live action adaptations, but I think series based on books like Monstress, Once and Future or Saga would be better suited for animation, especially if they stay faithful and aren't just raided for the IP.

A Miyazaki-style film adaptation of Canto from IDW would be an instant Oscar contender if done right.

The only downside I see is working out the deals with their creator owned and especially licensed books.

It's kinda..... difficult.

Lotta manga and webtoons get picked up to be animated, but they aren't specifically written to be animated.

I forget which "indie" it is, one of the major ones. Nearly all their stuff is specifically put out there to be adapted to live action, if someone wants to pick it up.

That "Comic to Live Action" doesn't really translate well when you try to adapt it to animation. That's a missed ship, IMO

But Monstress and Canto DEFINITELY need to be animated with a Sword Art Online type budget behind it.

The mainstream western mind still hasn't wrapped it's head around animation as a serious adult source of media. There's gotta be tittites and ass, some sex, gratuitous violence and a "humorous" sidekick that plays to some racial stereotype that they can use to sell toys.

if there isn't any of that, then it must be for kids.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
X-Factor: MojoWorld. I hate it here. :francis: I kept reading because both Rachel AND Spiral were in the book. And I skimmed over pages. Why is Shatterstar here looking like a wrestler, complete with belt? Why do they have him doing the Randy Orton pose? and a wack one at that?

I will say this. Daken is at his ABSOLUTE BEST as a character when he's.... doing this. He's so schmoove that you forget he has pheromone powers. Last time I saw him macking on a broad like this was way way waaaay back when him and Mystique were out on a date.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
X-Factor: MojoWorld. I hate it here. :francis: I kept reading because both Rachel AND Spiral were in the book. And I skimmed over pages. Why is Shatterstar here looking like a wrestler, complete with belt? Why do they have him doing the Randy Orton pose? and a wack one at that?

I will say this. Daken is at his ABSOLUTE BEST as a character when he's.... doing this. He's so schmoove that you forget he has pheromone powers. Last time I saw him macking on a broad like this was way way waaaay back when him and Mystique were out on a date.
Shatterstar is being held against his will as MojoWorld's #1 streamer and he had to keep up the fake Radny Orton act because he's being followed around 24/7 by a phalanx of cameras documenting his every move for Mojo's paying customers.
Polaris told him they were coming back to rescue him so we will be getting even more MojoWorld.

The only good part of this issue was Daken trying to mack on Aurora and that one page of Storm, Mystique and them having drinks before getting kidnapped.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's kinda..... difficult.

Lotta manga and webtoons get picked up to be animated, but they aren't specifically written to be animated.

I forget which "indie" it is, one of the major ones. Nearly all their stuff is specifically put out there to be adapted to live action, if someone wants to pick it up.

That "Comic to Live Action" doesn't really translate well when you try to adapt it to animation. That's a missed ship, IMO

But Monstress and Canto DEFINITELY need to be animated with a Sword Art Online type budget behind it.

The mainstream western mind still hasn't wrapped it's head around animation as a serious adult source of media. There's gotta be tittites and ass, some sex, gratuitous violence and a "humorous" sidekick that plays to some racial stereotype that they can use to sell toys.

if there isn't any of that, then it must be for kids.

Well, that's why I specifically referred to anime. The anime audience is already conditioned to check out the source material of their favorite shows, and they're more likely to get into the manga (or light novel, visual novel, et al.) to read ahead of the story and/or skip the filler. Obviously, if you want your book to have its name in the cultural zeitgeist, Hollywood is the way to go, but to build the comic book industry, I think appealing to the anime crowd will get more eyes on the books.

We already know the MCU movies do not cause any noticeable increase in comic sales, and for every successful comic book adaptation like The Boys or Umbrella Academy, you have several failures like Vagrant Queen, Happy, or Deadly Class, who definitely see even less of a bump. Or you get shows like Walking Dead and Runaways, where the producers look at the first trade, go, "Yeah, that'll make a good storyboard for our pilot," and then go in whatever direction they want with the show. So the TV and comic book audiences are entirely different.

A faithful anime adaptation of an American comic would potentially be marketing for the book, especially if the trades are reprinted around the same time. I posted about this on Reddit, and someone responded how Demon Slayer graphic novel sales exploded after the anime debuted, and even mediocre animes see their source material get a decent sales boost.

I'm just thinking in terms of how to grow the industry. We've seen Marvel produce graphic novels that are the same size and price as a manga volume in the past, and DC is trying to appeal to that crowd (at least tangentially) with their YA books. And with shows like Castlevania, God of High School, and Tower of God, the anime audience doesn't have any sort of purity test about the shows not being solely made in Japan. They grew up on shows like Avatar and Teen Titans, so I don't see any reason these shows wouldn't appeal to that audience.

The only issue I see is the comicsgate crowd, who moved to anime and manga specifically to get away from western comics.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
118890960_10102493506809872_2508806209440591183_n.jpg

119115361_10102493506869752_146452178145675288_n.jpg

teacher

All Star
Daps
So Empyre was meh, hopefully X of swords is dope.

I bought but haven't read War of the realms or Absolute carnage. Fan of Cates probably will check carnage out next.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I bought but haven't read War of the realms

Same. I'm trying to get through all of Jason Aaron's Thor run first (just finished Asgard/Shi'ar War) because I had only read the first two arcs, and I don't like reading those big events and arcs without reading the issues leading up to them.

I only bought War of the Realms because Marvel was doing a sale at the time, and I knew I'd get around to reading Aaron's Thor eventually.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
So Empyre was meh, hopefully X of swords is dope.

I bought but haven't read War of the realms or Absolute carnage. Fan of Cates probably will check carnage out next.
I haven't read the Carnage crossover but I expect it to be good..i always liked Carnage since I first saw him