Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
outside of reed not telling franklin that he chipped him again, i dont see how the mutants dont come off like villains in all this. and i honestly hope the mauraders werent doing what it appears they were at the end. because they really dont want those kinda problems on krakoa

I thought it was lazy dumbed down writing :manny:

Everything I feared the book would be and something that often irritates me whenever they want the x-men to "crossover" with another franchise (avx & axis always comes to mind):

Case in point -the story implying fault/blame that parents wouldn't allow their 13 year old minor to "decide for himself" whether he wants to run away to another country/nation with some passive aggressive "diplomats" who just show up at the parents door steps with the intent to take their child?

Or Reed chipping his kid to prevent the kid from running away to said foreign country without his parents permission, is somehow some crime against parenting :ohhh:

:mjlol:

Franklin lucky his parents aren't black

Would chip him, then proceed to smack the fukk out of him with a vibranium fukkin belt for that shyt

I wish a random white girl would try to abduct my son while I'm busy telling her cohorts to get the fukk out my house :pachaha:

But seriously, that's all I was thinking about while I read this shyt

"Suburban white people... :dead:"

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
Yeah they fukked up. Gotta wonder what sells are looking like right now. If this 5G shyt doesn't work.. Dan is outta there
is any publication excited about 5g? ive only heard negative. that doesnt bode well
Can y'all break down what exactly is this 5G event DC is planning?

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
:snoop:. DC's editorial isn't even trying anymore. This week's Justice League is a mess, and it doesn't fit anywhere in the timeline:

The Justice League went off to find another way to stop Perpetua in issue 39, the final issue of Snyder and Tynion's run. This week's issue, issue 40, written by Robert Venditti, was supposedly set before Snyder's run, according to Snyder himself.

Except it can't be because they have the Hall of Justice and John Stewart is on the team, and both of those happened in the first arc of Snyder's run. Plus there's no mention of Cyborg or Aquaman, so it would presumably take place between Drowned Earth and the Sixth Dimension storylines, before we truly learn about Perpetua.

But that doesn't work either because they mention Superman revealing his identity to the world, which happened right around the start of the Doom War.

They also imply the Flash is hesitant to use his speed force powers, presumably because of the 'Super Saiyan' arc that just wrapped up in Flash, but was set during the Doom War.

But the worst part is Batman calls Alfred, which would mean it was set before City of Bane, but on the very next page Superman says Alfred is dead. :mindblown: Jesus Christ, how hard was it to just edit that one panel of Alfred and replace him with Lucius? :why:

I just can't with DC Comics right now. I say this every three months, I have no idea what's going on with them right now. I would say that next Crisis can't get here fast enough, but we now 5G is coming right after. :francis:
I thought the Alfred moment was a (very poorly done) implication that Bruce is imagining speaking to Alfred in his head since the running theme in this issue seemed to be that the League is so busy fighting against big threats that they have cropped up their own personal shyt and don't talk about it with each other.

Of course that still doesn't explain the timeline issues which were already rampant during all the Year of the Villain tie-ins.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
:snoop:. DC's editorial isn't even trying anymore. This week's Justice League is a mess, and it doesn't fit anywhere in the timeline:

The Justice League went off to find another way to stop Perpetua in issue 39, the final issue of Snyder and Tynion's run. This week's issue, issue 40, written by Robert Venditti, was supposedly set before Snyder's run, according to Snyder himself.

Except it can't be because they have the Hall of Justice and John Stewart is on the team, and both of those happened in the first arc of Snyder's run. Plus there's no mention of Cyborg or Aquaman, so it would presumably take place between Drowned Earth and the Sixth Dimension storylines, before we truly learn about Perpetua.

But that doesn't work either because they mention Superman revealing his identity to the world, which happened right around the start of the Doom War.

They also imply the Flash is hesitant to use his speed force powers, presumably because of the 'Super Saiyan' arc that just wrapped up in Flash, but was set during the Doom War.

But the worst part is Batman calls Alfred, which would mean it was set before City of Bane, but on the very next page Superman says Alfred is dead. :mindblown: Jesus Christ, how hard was it to just edit that one panel of Alfred and replace him with Lucius? :why:

I just can't with DC Comics right now. I say this every three months, I have no idea what's going on with them right now. I would say that next Crisis can't get here fast enough, but we now 5G is coming right after. :francis:
Y'all still reading DC?

parallax

Superstar
Daps

im confused by the general consensus of it, some articles talk about it like a reboot, others like a passing of the torch for some characters. hopefully, whatever it is, dc commits to it

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought it was lazy dumbed down writing :manny:

Everything I feared the book would be and something that often irritates me whenever they want the x-men to "crossover" with another franchise (avx & axis always comes to mind):

Case in point -the story implying fault/blame that parents wouldn't allow their 13 year old minor to "decide for himself" whether he wants to run away to another country/nation with some passive aggressive "diplomats" who just show up at the parents door steps with the intent to take their child?

Or Reed chipping his kid to prevent the kid from running away to said foreign country without his parents permission, is somehow some crime against parenting :ohhh:

:mjlol:

Franklin lucky his parents aren't black

Would chip him, then proceed to smack the fukk out of him with a vibranium fukkin belt for that shyt

I wish a random white girl would try to abduct my son while I'm busy telling her cohorts to get the fukk out my house :pachaha:

But seriously, that's all I was thinking about while I read this shyt

"Suburban white people... :dead:"

I thought it fit for what the story was trying to do. Outside of putting the chip on him, Reed was fairly reasonable in saying, "Franklin can move to Krakoa if he wants when he's 18, but he's not going there now." But at the same time, I understand the teenage angst and need for rebellion because Franklin feels like he doesn't have the support system he needs from his family.

We talk how the X-Men seem like the villains here, but these are the very same characters that have been literally attacking other countries on their own soil to smuggle mutants away. Attacking the FF seems fairly small-scale.

I thought the Alfred moment was a (very poorly done) implication that Bruce is imagining speaking to Alfred in his head since the running theme in this issue seemed to be that the League is so busy fighting against big threats that they have cropped up their own personal shyt and don't talk about it with each other.

Of course that still doesn't explain the timeline issues which were already rampant during all the Year of the Villain tie-ins.

Yeah, some people on some other boards were saying that was a flashback. Apparently the rounded borders around the panel were supposed to imply that, but I read it on Comixology, where you can't even see the borders.

The implication from Justice League 39 is that hypertime is broken, which means all these stories are happening concurrently, but even that doesn't explain why they're referencing each other. Ganthet specifically explains that they don't know about the other timelines (so the Justice League is fighting in Doom War and Doomsday Clock concurrently, but neither one knows about the other).

Justice League Odyssey says Epoch, the lord of time, is the only one that can see the different timelines, and he sees four concurrent threats:

Perpetua/Apex Lex
The Batman Who Laughs
Darkseid
A fourth one he can't see (Doctor Manhattan?)

But he also says some of the timelines he sees aren't real, and only possible realities, which seems like an easy way to retcon some of these storylines. :francis:

Y'all still reading DC?

:yeshrug:. I've always been a bigger DC fan than Marvel, even with all the timeline and continuity fukkery.

We don't know very much at this point. We pretty much just have rumors that the current heroes will be aged up and new heroes will take their place. So the rumors are

Jon Kent as Superman
Luke Fox as Batman
Sojourner Muellin (from Far Sector) as Green Lantern
Captain Cold's son as Flash
A 'non-binary' Wonder Woman
Wally West as the 'new Doctor Manhattan' (that one's confirmed by a press release)

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought it fit for what the story was trying to do. Outside of putting the chip on him, Reed was fairly reasonable in saying, "Franklin can move to Krakoa if he wants when he's 18, but he's not going there now." But at the same time, I understand the teenage angst and need for rebellion because Franklin feels like he doesn't have the support system he needs from his family.

We talk how the X-Men seem like the villains here, but these are the very same characters that have been literally attacking other countries on their own soil to smuggle mutants away. Attacking the FF seems fairly small-scale.

Yeah, some people on some other boards were saying that was a flashback. Apparently the rounded borders around the panel were supposed to imply that, but I read it on Comixology, where you can't even see the borders.

The implication from Justice League 39 is that hypertime is broken, which means all these stories are happening concurrently, but even that doesn't explain why they're referencing each other. Ganthet specifically explains that they don't know about the other timelines (so the Justice League is fighting in Doom War and Doomsday Clock concurrently, but neither one knows about the other).

Justice League Odyssey says Epoch, the lord of time, is the only one that can see the different timelines, and he sees four concurrent threats:

Perpetua/Apex Lex
The Batman Who Laughs
Darkseid
A fourth one he can't see (Doctor Manhattan?)

But he also says some of the timelines he sees aren't real, and only possible realities, which seems like an easy way to retcon some of these storylines. :francis:

:yeshrug:. I've always been a bigger DC fan than Marvel, even with all the timeline and continuity fukkery.

We don't know very much at this point. We pretty much just have rumors that the current heroes will be aged up and new heroes will take their place. So the rumors are

Jon Kent as Superman
Luke Fox as Batman
Wally West as the 'new Doctor Manhattan' (that one's confirmed by a press release)

Man, this 5G shyt gonna get rejected HARD by a ton of DC fans. I'm really not looking forward to all the thinkpieces about this shyt, either.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
JUGGERNAUT2020001_cov-720x1094.jpg

JUGGERNAUT #1 (OF 5)

FABIAN NICIEZA (W) • RON GARNEY (A) • COVER BY GEOFF SHAW

READY OR ‘NAUT, HERE HE COMES! A mystic gem. A force of overwhelming power. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut. Except himself. Another building falls. Cain Marko is done letting others pick up the pieces of the things he’s destroyed. Renowned X-scribe Fabian Nicieza (X-FORCE, DEADPOOL) and celebrated artist

Ron Garney (CAPTAIN AMERICA, DAREDEVIL) team up to take the unstoppable in a new bold new direction!
“That basically instigates the entire story. Having been X and lost, what does Cain become now? After years of back and forth and madness and sadness, he had become a member in good standing of the X-Men, and then while he's away dancing in Limbo, mutantkind gets everything they could have ever hoped for... and Cain can't be a part of that,” Nicieza told IGN over an email interview. “How he reacts to that rejection becomes the exploration of who he is going to become without the one thing that -- for good and bad -- has defined him for most of his life.”

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Jon Kent as Superman
Luke Fox as Batman

I know about the 1st 3 and the last... but Captain Cold's kid as flash and a bbq Wonder Woman :pachaha:

5G=5 generations. But yeah 5G is heroes getting replaced because they show up at different points in the time line. Like Bruce and Wonder Woman will probably be older, etc

Man, this 5G shyt gonna get rejected HARD by a ton of DC fans. I'm really not looking forward to all the thinkpieces about this shyt, either.
I think the 1st issue will do well...but yeah

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I know about the 1st 3 and the last... but Captain Cold's kid as flash and a bbq Wonder Woman :pachaha:

5G=5 generations. But yeah 5G is heroes getting replaced because they show up at different points in the time line. Like Bruce and Wonder Woman will probably be older, etc

So 5G is another retcon? :scust:

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I don’t think this is a retcon though just a growth of characters