Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Spin

All Star
Daps
What do you guys think of Killadelphia? Are there any other recent comics with a black main character?

STL141740

Spin

All Star
Daps
I like Rod Barnes. To answer your question, in the mainstream? Bitter Root and Excellence.

I know a ton of indie comics with black leads.

do you mind dropping the names of some of the indie ones? I made it through the first six of Excellence and just thought it was okay. The son/father story seemed cool, but I wasn’t feeling them being a society of magicians that were protecting white people. I know there was more to the story than that, but I felt some of the decisions are forced to push a certain narrative.

specifically if you know of any indie comics with a strong black lead. Thanks

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
do you mind dropping the names of some of the indie ones? I made it through the first six of Excellence and just thought it was okay. The son/father story seemed cool, but I wasn’t feeling them being a society of magicians that were protecting white people. I know there was more to the story than that, but I felt some of the decisions are forced to push a certain narrative.

:dahell:

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.

Ajala

Is'nana

My own comic Lawful Evil

Harriet Tubman Demon slayer

The Legend of Will Power

The Almighty Street Team

Project Wild fire

A number are available here

https://peepgamecomix.com/digital-downloads/

Peep game is a site that sell black created and mainly fronted comics.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon

I like Divinity. Try Divinity its different

"Divinity begins with the space race at the height of the Cold War in the 1960s, when the Soviets send a guy out into the galaxy where no man has really gone before. While out there, he is transformed into a being that can manipulate space and matter, so when he crash-lands in the Australian Outback decades later, those who meet him consider him a god.

Divinity (which isn't his real name) is also the first black astronaut — Russia is intent on beating the USA into space and at civil rights as well, according to Kindt. The story is splintered so we're going to see him in each issue at every stage in his evolution, from youngster to hopeful astronaut with a personal life to a cosmically aware being by the time he gets back.

"By the time that he becomes Divinity, we'll already understand him," Kindt says. "Like the child being father to the man, we'll see that his humanity is father to the superhuman. The power he gets is almost incidental to the other things that have gone on in his life.

"He's a character that's obsessed with his past and mistakes he's made so when he gains some incredible power, he ends up focusing that ability into the things he's already obsessed with — regret over past mistakes and making things right."

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pull list for this week:

Doomsday Clock #12
Justice League #38
Suicide Squad #1
Wonder Woman #83
Year of the Villain Hell Arisen #1
Amazing Spider-Man #36
Marauders #4
X-Force #4

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Pull list for this week:

Doomsday Clock #12
Justice League #38
Suicide Squad #1
Wonder Woman #83
Year of the Villain Hell Arisen #1
Amazing Spider-Man #36
Marauders #4
X-Force #4
Wow Doomsday clock actually ends?

I have x-force 1-3 and I haven't read any of them. shyt just seems boring.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wow Doomsday clock actually ends?

We'll see. :lolbron:

Gary Frank is insistent that the book is done, so there's that.

I have x-force 1-3 and I haven't read any of them. shyt just seems boring

X-force is actually the strongest X-book so far.

I'd rank them

X-Force
Marauders
Excalibur
X-Men
New Mutants
Fallen Angels

New Mutants is a little harder to gauge because the third issue was so radically different from the first two.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I hope all these power inhibitors/dampeners in all the X-books are somehow tied together to one big threat because goddamn it feels like my grandma could take out the X-Men at this point. Which would be a better joke if a bunch of grandmas didn't in fact already take out the X-Men. :why:

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hope all these power inhibitors/dampeners in all the X-books are somehow tied together to one big threat because goddamn it feels like my grandma could take out the X-Men at this point. Which would be a better joke if a bunch of grandmas didn't in fact already take out the X-Men. :why:
Meh I’m not really feeling much of Hickman’s running of the X-men universe so far. He has a bad feel for the characters recent iterations