Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Oh hey... on the topic of Justice League, just one question from a guy who stopped reading it maybe 20 issues ago:

Did John Stewart end up doing anything worth a damn in this run? Spotlight arcs, character development, cool moments? Or is he in that glorified wallpaper team player role that Storm excels so well in?

Him joining the JLA was a fairly big deal for his cult following of fans (such as myself) because it would mark the first time that he'd be (somewhat) on Earth and (potentially) interacting with other known DC heroes and earth people for the first time since the new 52 began 8'ish fukking years ago.

Buuuut, after the first arc ignored all his character development in his 8 years in space and reset him back to "i blew up that planet :mjcry:" (even tho a writer rectonned that shyt like 5 years ago..), i lost interest. Even more so when he was just a tag along for Hawkgirl, Manhunter, and JLU Hawkgirl, with no fan service or even purpose for John being there. Felt like a sly fukk you to his fans, and i say that as a Stewart/Vixen shipper.

But petty shyt aside, has John done shyt?
Black characters aren't usually written well on teams. By white writers.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
Only liked X-Men #1 of his. It was lighter in tone and more family vibe.

That's the vibe New Mutants is on.

Got 'em ranked

New Mutants
Marauders
Excalibur
X-Force
X-Men
Fallen Angels

And to breh that's looking for her, Mystique's story starts in January.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
that's a wild ass team. I understand having Psylocke on there, Sinister got a leash on her neck.

But I wish it was Polaris instead
I've waited a long, long time for a monthly Sinister book...while Magneto and Doom are the greatest villains in Marvel history, Sinister got away with so much shyt for so long. Lol. Never paid the price for mutant massacre..technically when you break it down, he had UNLIMTED ACCESS to Jean Grey sexually because he cloned Madelyne Pryor..that's real crazy:laugh:

blankstairz

Superstar
Daps
That's the vibe New Mutants is on.

Got 'em ranked

New Mutants
Marauders
Excalibur
X-Force
X-Men
Fallen Angels

And to breh that's looking for her, Mystique's story starts in January.

Couldn't get with New Mutants either. #1 just prevented me from exploring it further :yeshrug:

X-Force #1 was aight though. :ehh:

I haven't checked out Marauders entirely. Just skimmed through the previews. Was kinda intrigued. Might check it out.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh hey... on the topic of Justice League, just one question from a guy who stopped reading it maybe 20 issues ago:

Did John Stewart end up doing anything worth a damn in this run? Spotlight arcs, character development, cool moments? Or is he in that glorified wallpaper team player role that Storm excels so well in?

Him joining the JLA was a fairly big deal for his cult following of fans (such as myself) because it would mark the first time that he'd be (somewhat) on Earth and (potentially) interacting with other known DC heroes and earth people for the first time since the new 52 began 8'ish fukking years ago.

Buuuut, after the first arc ignored all his character development in his 8 years in space and reset him back to "i blew up that planet :mjcry:" (even tho a writer rectonned that shyt like 5 years ago..), i lost interest. Even more so when he was just a tag along for Hawkgirl, Manhunter, and JLU Hawkgirl, with no fan service or even purpose for John being there. Felt like a sly fukk you to his fans, and i say that as a Stewart/Vixen shipper.

But petty shyt aside, has John done shyt?

When he and Flash

met the JSA

was probably the biggest John moment in the book as he was the driving force in getting them on their side against Lex.

But really, the most focus has been on Kendra, J'onn and Lex. Even the Trinity haven't had that much focus, comparatively.

John Reena

Superstar
Daps
I've waited a long, long time for a monthly Sinister book...while Magneto and Doom are the greatest villains in Marvel history, Sinister got away with so much shyt for so long. Lol. Never paid the price for mutant massacre..technically when you break it down, he had UNLIMTED ACCESS to Jean Grey sexually because he cloned Madelyne Pryor..that's real crazy:laugh:

Word u right!

Sinister has NEVER got his comeuppance as a villain. I’ve seen him get decapitated, blasted by Cyclops n Havok, etc., n nothing harms him. Plus, he’s even killed himself NUMEROUS times. Overall he’s never paid the price for all Tha wild shyt he’s done over the years. That Remender Era Of X-Force shoulda DEF had him as the next target to die after Apocalypse

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%

:pachaha:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field

don't ever change, rocky :mjlol:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
i think someone asked about this in here. dont remember if it was ever explained before this issue.

ffktPzJ.jpg

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Yo in that link why they keep calling him sassy and shyt. Please dont make sinister gay he so into his shyt and killed his emotions decades ago so he dont lust for pu$$y or butthole

:russ:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Yo in that link why they keep calling him sassy and shyt. Please dont make sinister gay he so into his shyt and killed his emotions decades ago so he dont lust for pu$$y or butthole

:russ:
They talking about the Kieron Gillen verson from 2011..they brought that one back in recent usage.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Spent all last week getting caught up on some comics. Some thoughts on what I was reading:

Amazing Spider-Man (issues 16-35): At first I was not feeling this book at all (I think I had the first arc 'Back to Basics' of my list of worst comics of 2018), but Nick Spencer's run really came into its own. 'Hunted' was entertaining enough, and the stuff with the female villains was pretty funny. I still feel like Peter's character has regressed way too much, and Nick Spencer is trying to put a band-aid over it by saying, "Yeah, but I put Peter and Mary Jane back together! That's cool, right?! :gladbron:" Though I feel like it's gotten better now that Peter's at least attempting to get his shyt together. The earlier issues were like, "Look how Peter's fukked up this time!"

Immortal Hulk (issues 14-27): I took me a long time to get around to this one. Even though I was still pulling it, I never loved it like so many other people have. I will say that once the General Fortean stuff picked up, the book was :fire:, and once each issue was finished I couldn't wait for the next. The writing was strong, as was the art, and it was very well paced. It didn't feel like it took me that long to get through the 13 issues I was behind on. Don't know what the fukk was going on in issue 25 tho.

Doomsday Clock (issues 1-11): I was putting this off for the longest, both for the obvious reason of the delays, but also because I was feeling like it was gonna be homework, but I figured I'd get caught up since the final issue is due out on December 18 (LOL!) and I wanted to read it now because that's a stacked week, and I'm probably gonna read the last 20 issues of Batman around that time since the last issue of that is also due out that week.

I was actually surprised how much I liked it. I'm not one of those people who thinks Watchmen is some sacred cow (though I didn't care for the movie and have never read Before Watchmen and never will), and I think for what Doomsday Clock is trying to accomplish, it has thus far succeeded very well. The new Rorschach, Mime, and Marionette are great additions, and Watchmen left itself open ended enough that everything in Doomsday Clock made sense. This was another one with great pacing. I was surprised how quick the issues were to read considering there are more pages than the average issue.

The problem is, obviously, with all the delays, does any of this matter anymore? Is it even in continuity at this point? The whole point was that when the final issue came out, the DC Universe would line up to where the first issue began. They blew through that by bringing back Young Justice, JSA and Legion of Super-Heroes before it was over, and good luck trying to figure out where Year of the Villain fits in. I would have also thought there'd be some hints and setup to the Supermen theory, which I haven't seen in any books, or the fractured relationship between the Trinity. You can't even argue it as an Elseworlds tale because it goes out of its way to name drop Sanctuary and the Dark Multiverse. Not to mention the four to five years of setup for it, from Darkseid War to DC Rebirth to The Button to Superman Reborn to everything else. And the general fact that as an Elseworlds tale, this has no reason to exist.

Daredevil (issues 1-6): I decided to read these on Marvel Unlimited because the praise Zdarsky's run was getting on here. It was definitely entertaining, but I definitely felt like it was some pretty by-the-numbers street level fare. Typical cop vs vigilante who questions his own motives story. It was decent enough that I'll keep reading at some point, but the dynamic between Daredevil and the cop (Det. Cole?) did remind me of the Hulk/General Fortean dynamic, but a more sympathetic version.

Also, while I like the art independently, I don't think it fits for this book. It's a little too 'animesque' and the characters look too soft and the colors seem to bright for this gritty, street-level book. It would be better fit in something like a Spider-Man or one of the X-books.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (issues 32-40): Now this is a book that felt like a chore, at least to issue 39. You'd think a superteam of rangers from different seasons would be cool, but goddamn this was boring. It did a horrible job following the momentum from Shattered Grid, and I don't care about the Solarix and the Solar Rangers or whatever the fukk. I also hate the way some of the characters are written, and Cam (Ninja Storm Green) is especially written all wrong. He's used as the comedic relief character a lot of times when he was literally the exact opposite in Ninja Storm. I think the writer didn't know the character, but knew that a lot of green rangers in various seasons are the 'goofy' ones, but there were so many better options (Joel from Lightspeed Rescue, Bridge from SPD, Ziggy from RPM, even Jake from Super Megaforce, or Dustin, the Ninja Storm yellow ranger).

Two things I'll give it credit for are for one, the art is beautiful, and it does play around with the lore of Power Rangers in a couple of interesting ways. Power Rangers was always a show that, even though it had a shared universe, they never bothered to follow up on their own lore because 1) they knew little kids either didn't care or weren't going to be watching long enough for the payoff to matter and 2) much like any other shared universe, every time a new head writer would come in, they'd go, "I want to do my own thing and not concern myself with continuity." But when these comics got popular they tried to retcon some of it into the show and act like it was there the whole time.

The Heckyl issue was vaguely interesting and it was cool to see him get the Talon Ranger suit that we never saw in the show, and I did like that they pointed out that the Morphin Grid is a universal constant, and it exists through all time and all dimensions in the multiverse, so any Power Ranger in the multiverse uses the exact same Morphin Grid.

Issue 40, however, was amazing. We finally get back to the Mighty Morphin' team, but it's the season two team where Tommy is the white ranger and Rocky, Adam and Aisha replace Zack, Jason and Trini. But the way they deal with the infamous 'peace conference' was very clever and a very smart way to get them off the team (or are they?)

Action Comics (issues 1006-1011, plus Superman: Leviathan Rising): I probably need to reserve judgement until I finally get around to Event Leviathan, but it was ok, I guess. Bendis' dialogue is still very stilted and awkward in places, but I did find the arc an improvement over Invisible Mafia, which was boring AF. Don't know how the fukk Jimmy Olson found Dex-Starr tho since he's in the Ghost Sector in Justice League Odyssey. :francis:

DCeased: This was a fun read. I wouldn't say I was as blown away as a lot of people seem to have been, but it was really cool, and it had some great character moments. The best moments were Green Arrow being :mjcry: then :pacspit: over Batman not having a contingency plan against him, and the great scene before
Superman sacrifices himself.
I do wish that
the fight between Superman and Jon
went a little longer as that could have been a huge emotional moment but it got cut off too abruptly.