Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
It's way too early to have something with Mystique, imo. She'll most likely be a key player down the line so having her do some random shyt right now would feel pointless anyway :manny:

I do think Hickman is laying too many seeds for future plots and pretty much nothing for the current story. The other books are more focused and a lot of them are getting better because of it.

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
After reading X-Men #4 and having the Golden Girls of Botany steamroll over Cyclops, Sebastian Shaw and Emma Frost plus however many mutants were chilling in The Savage Land, I think I'm off this train.
Some writers and properties just don't click and it is pretty damn evident that Hickman and The X-Men just don't click.

Yeah, I'm starting to worry a little bit. Less about Hickman's X-men stuff (his POX and HOX stuff was so good) and more about all the other books.
None of them have been very good to me so far. I'll give them all a few more issues before I start making some cuts.

WhenWeWereKings

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Shaw really isn't getting much love though. It's nice that he is getting some spotlight but he's being portrayed as a moron.

I'm annoyed that we have gotten nothing for Mystique at all so far.

Well you are quite correct. I should've specified he's getting some spotlight eventhough it's been more on the moronic side. I enjoyed the Marauders spotlight issue with him and Shinobi tho.

I'm really waiting for some Mystique and Exodus focus. Where's the Sinister/Apocalypse interaction? Or the Exodus/Magneto/Apocalypse interaction?

A lot of these characters have history and a lot if it is dicey at best. I was glad to see Gambit being completely skeptical of Apocalypse (he was a former horseman) and Magneto mentioning that Betsy tried to kill him.

Reading X-Men #3 immediately reminded me if Joe Casey's Uncanny X-Men wnere three experienced X-Men (Angel, Iceman and Nightcrawler) got washed by a dude with a flame thrower. That issue was universally panned. Let's see what kinda reception awaits Hickman.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
The thing that confuses me about Hickman's X-men (and the other X-books) is that he used twelve issues (HoX & PoX) to establish a new status quo for mutant kind, only to start breaking it down immediately from all sides. We haven't gotten a true in-depth look yet at how this new mutant establishment functions but already Krakoa's defenses are torn apart from all sides, internal struggles mount and it just feels we were never given the time to get settled into this new world that is now changing from issue to issue.

It did go left too quickly. Needed to see the pitch to Franklin about joining Krakoa, and the F4 getting that same energy the Avengers always get about the mutant issue.

Needed to see T'Challa, Magneto, and Charles having some passive aggressive "diplomacy" talk about why Wakanda don't want no mutie drugs.

Needed to see more of this nu-Xavier and his thoughts, and the dialogue he has with other x-characters and non-x characters, and their thoughts.

Instead, Hickman having them job to '98 mae young and the fabulous moolah :ehh:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
It did go left too quickly. Needed to see the pitch to Franklin about joining Krakoa, and the F4 getting that same energy the Avengers always get about the mutant issue.

Needed to see T'Challa, Magneto, and Charles having some passive aggressive "diplomacy" talk about why Wakanda don't want no mutie drugs.

Needed to see more of this nu-Xavier and his thoughts, and the dialogue he has with other x-characters and non-x characters, and their thoughts.

Instead, Hickman having them job to '98 mae young and the fabulous moolah :ehh:

The Franklin fukkery starts in February and Zdarsky is writing it :ohlawd:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Oh hey... on the topic of Justice League, just one question from a guy who stopped reading it maybe 20 issues ago:

Did John Stewart end up doing anything worth a damn in this run? Spotlight arcs, character development, cool moments? Or is he in that glorified wallpaper team player role that Storm excels so well in?

Him joining the JLA was a fairly big deal for his cult following of fans (such as myself) because it would mark the first time that he'd be (somewhat) on Earth and (potentially) interacting with other known DC heroes and earth people for the first time since the new 52 began 8'ish fukking years ago.

Buuuut, after the first arc ignored all his character development in his 8 years in space and reset him back to "i blew up that planet :mjcry:" (even tho a writer rectonned that shyt like 5 years ago..), i lost interest. Even more so when he was just a tag along for Hawkgirl, Manhunter, and JLU Hawkgirl, with no fan service or even purpose for John being there. Felt like a sly fukk you to his fans, and i say that as a Stewart/Vixen shipper.

But petty shyt aside, has John done shyt?

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Oh hey... on the topic of Justice League, just one question from a guy who stopped reading it maybe 20 issues ago:

Did John Stewart end up doing anything worth a damn in this run? Spotlight arcs, character development, cool moments? Or is he in that glorified wallpaper team player role that Storm excels so well in?

Him joining the JLA was a fairly big deal for his cult following of fans (such as myself) because it would mark the first time that he'd be (somewhat) on Earth and (potentially) interacting with other known DC heroes and earth people for the first time since the new 52 began 8'ish fukking years ago.

Buuuut, after the first arc ignored all his character development in his 8 years in space and reset him back to "i blew up that planet :mjcry:" (even tho a writer rectonned that shyt like 5 years ago..), i lost interest. Even more so when he was just a tag along for Hawkgirl, Manhunter, and JLU Hawkgirl, with no fan service or even purpose for John being there. Felt like a sly fukk you to his fans, and i say that as a Stewart/Vixen shipper.

Not really.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field

giphy.gif

if it makes you feel any better, Kendra fukked up their chance at winning early by pulling an Infinity War Starlord :francis:

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
Daredevil still proving to be the most consistent Marvel book.

I just read X-Men #3 and I'm dropping all the X-books. I haven't liked anything since Hickman got on board. I might pick it back up again if I hear that the story is actually leading towards something. Other than that, I'll wait until someone else is writing it. This really sucks cuz X-Men is my favorite comic property and this will be the first time since I started reading comics that I'm not currently following any X-book.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets

I just read X-Men #3 and I'm dropping all the X-books. I haven't liked anything since Hickman got on board. I might pick it back up again if I hear that the story is actually leading towards something. Other than that, I'll wait until someone else is writing it. This really sucks cuz X-Men is my favorite comic property and this will be the first time since I started reading comics that I'm not currently following any X-book.

Thought I was the only one dropping it. Didn’t even bother to read ish 3.

blankstairz

Superstar
Daps

X-Men is just boring.Respect to him for giving his all to bring back the franchise. He has made a real investment into the franchise that was much needed and has gained critical and commercial acclaim. But Hickman is making manuals instead of comic books. A little too heavy in tone for my taste. Just not a fun read. :manny: Only liked X-Men #1 of his. It was lighter in tone and more family vibe.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
X-Men is just boring.Respect to him for giving his all to bring back the franchise. He has made a real investment into the franchise that was much needed and has gained critical and commercial acclaim. But Hickman is making manuals instead of comic books. A little too heavy in tone for my taste. Just not a fun read. :manny: Only liked X-Men #1 of his. It was lighter in tone and more family vibe.

Well this isnt boring!
Mister Sinister Is Leading Marvel's Newest X-Men Team

This new incarnation of the Hellions is centered around characters like Sinister who once counted as enemies of the X-Men and now find themselves loners and outcasts on Krakoa. The new team roster also includes Wild Child, Nanny, Orphan Maker, Empath and Scalphunter. The lineup will also be bolstered by two more traditional X-Men characters, Havok and Psylocke.
Sinister recently got a major revamp in the pages of Powers of X, as writer Jonathan Hickman and artist RB Silva showed off the sassy side of this iconic villain. However, that series strongly hinted Sinister is not a person to be trusted, so it remains to be seen if this new Hellions team will work with the X-Men or against them.

Meanwhile, Psylocke's presence on the team should help cushion the blow of the apparent cancellation of Fallen Angels. In response to the series being absent from Marvel's February 2020 solicitations, writer Bryan Edward Hill tweeted, "Due to some film/TV things I have in motion (that's my main career and I have to grow it), I had to take a break after the first arc, but there are already plans to continue the story -- in a very cool way...but I can't comment on that yet."

Mister Sinister Is Leading Marvel's Newest X-Men Team - IGN