Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
His runs on Venom and Thanos has been excellent and his Guardians runs has been dope so far. He's got a dope little Silver Surfer mini going that spun out of the Guardians series. I'd check out his Cosmic Ghost Rider run too if you like his Thanos run.

gotg has been just ok imo. kind of a disappointment, honestly. even the art on the first arc from geoff shaw, who KILLED thanos, was kind of... meh.

everything else cates has touched has been absolute fire tho. death of the inhumans, thanos, ss black, venom, absolute carnage (so far)... he's on a hell of a run right now.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
And there's a good chance they'll probably make more money for it in the long run. Books won't be good or appeal to new audiences, but mainstream comics have mostly not been worried about that for 15 years now.

But anyway, House of X #3...

Fine, I guess? Initial stages of a battle comic, and the first time I ever explicitly thought any of this was getting boring (not because I hate superhero fights, but because those fights lack any sort of dramatic or thematic function beyond just moving the story along. Joe Casey and Matt Fraction actually had a interview where they talked about this a while ago; if I can find it I'll post it). If it keeps up like this, I actually will end up dropping it before HoX/PoX are over.

Also, Hickman's Cyclops sucks. His dialogue is hilariously stilted and I just can't see him having the "personality" Hickman's written for him. Then again, it might be better than being 90% cipher like most of the rest of the cast...

Best part was the whole diplomatic immunity bit with Emma and the Cuckoos getting Sabretooth out of prison. If I'm remembering correctly (without going back and re-reading it), that immunity's connected to the drug trading in HoX #1; I'd like to see more of that please. This AI/Sentinel/Nimrod deal does absolutely nothing for me, I'm just not interested at all in death robots (though I am wondering why he's skipping over the Prime Sentinels or the Wild Sentinels in his taxonomy. I can see the latter being a part of the earlier Sentinel types, but I would think that the Prime Sentinels would be slightly different from what he designates as an Omega Sentinel).

I'm fairly sure this won't happen, but it would be really interesting if Hickman actually did kill all the X-Men in that explosion and revealed that they are, indeed, a bunch of pod babies that Xavier regrows when they die. They probably just ejected though.
Cyclops has been pretty much a cipher in all the glimpses of him so far.
I'm wondering if that is an in-story thing or if Hickman just doesn't have a feel for a voice for Cyclops?

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I haven't watched Raw yet.

Because something more important came up that needs to be acknowledged...

69.jpg

Eli :to:
I got sentimental with that page from the book too.
Marvel needs to stop bullshytting and reboot the Young Avengers book.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
gotg has been just ok imo. kind of a disappointment, honestly. even the art on the first arc from geoff shaw, who KILLED thanos, was kind of... meh.

everything else cates has touched has been absolute fire tho. death of the inhumans, thanos, ss black, venom, absolute carnage (so far)... he's on a hell of a run right now.
I have been disappointed in Cates' GotG too after being impressed with it initially. shyt is just meandering along now and it's not a good look.