Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
Good catch on that Peter David's run. This was likely inspired by it but also much, much darker.
Yeah a lot of elements are there Joe Fixit and the Multiple personalities, Alpha Flight is basically this version of Pantheon with the regular Hulk mainstays. Now he’s got Betty and Rick Jones rolling with him like in that run.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
also good this week:

Die: it prolly gonna stay slept on

Daredevil: Why is Matt such a fukk up!? Is it cause he never had a mom? Matt need to listen to some Suga Free when he out on patrol. Reed's concept of God is weird, right. He literally broke into heaven and met God. His scientific brain won't let him acknowledge it. He prolly already got it quantified. But then... I guess he's seen enough god tier high level cosmic fukkery to make him feel some kinda way.
Immortal Hulk: :damn:

Future Foundation: Definitely a sleeper.

Ima be the one to say it: Stan Lee is a default cornerstone of one of my life's great loves. I'll forever be grateful. But can we PLEASE move these random "Stan's Soapbox" joints to the end of the book? Right before the letter's page? Please?

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
One thing I don't get about the Hickman complaints is complaining about things he does in his third issue. Hickman is one of the few writers who actually plots out his entire run far in advance, and in the past was only hindered in his execution to tie everything together because of Marvel editorial.

I get complaints about the retcon but I don't get the complaints suggesting that Hickman doesn't have the time to give everything he's been throwing at us a proper place, especially because he thinks this shyt through. Comparing Hickman's plotting to Lost's (which was genuinely throwing shyt at a wall without considering what purpose/plot it serves) is just all kinds of wrong in that regard.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Something else I forgot to mention about House of X #2 was this thing:

timeline.jpg

I'd say outright that Powers of X is looking into life 9, but then the scene with Moira in PoX #1/HoX #2 came from life 10. Also, given Hickman's precious data pages, all that has to be in life 10 UNLESS we're weaving in between lives 9 and 10...but that would undermine PoX's entire setup unless we're looking at Xavier looking at Moira's memories, but back to the data pages...

...yeah, this is a big ass mess right now. A pretty graph that only serves to make things more muddled because Hickman hasn't ever realized that Lost's mystery box-ass storytelling was terrible, manipulative bullshyt that JJ Abrams invented in lieu of writing a compelling narrative.

This thing is truly everything good and fukking terrible about Hickman's writing style (and other mainstream writers, to a lesser extent). It would be parody if I hadn't seen it in the issue myself.

...Don't worry @Jmare007, I'll get to the matches soon.

If you have to use an untrue, politically denigrating blanket statement to cover for Hickman's decisions, then it's definitely bad writing.

AND it makes Moira look like even more of an idiot given how long lived Hickman makes her. You should be beyond the political mindset of your average 20-year-old who just read the basics on Che Guevara when you're on your seventh or eighth life.

Edit: I just realized that Moira's entire deal is just the plot of Primer, where the whole point of the main character's dealings with time travel is that they're children playing with forces far beyond their control. :russ:
Negative...he pretty much mapped out how this whole promotion started with the Moira quote..pretty much, in layman terms, showed you how we got to that
"Heres the thing, Charles. It's not a dream if its real."

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
:whew: goddamn, Hickman.
:heh: but he's gonna catch backlash in a day or two when fans start saying he did for Moira and X-Men continuity what Dr. Manhattan did with Superman and DC/Superman's continuity.

My only questions....
What happened that sixth life? It's obviously redacted. There's a blank space for it on the timeline sheet.

What are those dashes in the 5th, 9th, and 10th timelines? Are those spots where she faked her death and is somehow.... still alive?

The 5th Moira... The 9th Moira.... :mjlol:

*insert Doctor Who theme here*

edit: never mind. This is the 10th Moira. The dashes lead to House of X 2 in the reading order list.

Hey, man. Hickman did the impossible twice in one book. One, the stuff in the issue itself....
Two is drop a Marvel book that was better than Immortal Hulk on the same day. :whew:

My big question is what happened in life 6

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City

timeline.jpg

I'd say outright that Powers of X is looking into life 9, but then the scene with Moira in PoX #1/HoX #2 came from life 10. Also, given Hickman's precious data pages, all that has to be in life 10 UNLESS we're weaving in between lives 9 and 10...but that would undermine PoX's entire setup unless we're looking at Xavier looking at Moira's memories, but back to the data pages...

...yeah, this is a big ass mess right now. A pretty graph that only serves to make things more muddled because Hickman hasn't ever realized that Lost's mystery box-ass storytelling was terrible, manipulative bullshyt that JJ Abrams invented in lieu of writing a compelling narrative.

This thing is truly everything good and fukking terrible about Hickman's writing style (and other mainstream writers, to a lesser extent). It would be parody if I hadn't seen it in the issue myself.

If you have to use an untrue, politically denigrating blanket statement to cover for Hickman's decisions, then it's definitely bad writing.

AND it makes Moira look like even more of an idiot given how long lived Hickman makes her. You should be beyond the political mindset of your average 20-year-old who just read the basics on Che Guevara when you're on your seventh or eighth life.

Edit: I just realized that Moira's entire deal is just the plot of Primer, where the whole point of the main character's dealings with time travel is that they're children playing with forces far beyond their control. :russ:

I mean we still haven’t seen life 6 to know how that affected her. Also we know she had lived through multiple genocides and violent deaths. Like the idea Xavier runs for President sounds good, but we’re living in a reality where we see how temporary a president is for progress if the people are too stupid to accept it.

Like another flaw to that argument is does Xavier becoming president stop the rise of Magneto, Sentinels, and Apocalypse? Especially Sentinels existing means Xavier would eventually be found to be a mutant and hunted. Would that help that cause or hurt it?

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
It may not mean anything but notice how
it's not mentioned how Moria died in life 9 that ends with the Apocalypse Wars, did I read that wrong? Obviously she's on life 10 but since all of her others deaths were mentioned it stood out there was nothing for life 9 for cause of death

Also notice the reading order the next two weeks are Powers of X back to back

In spite of their tremendous rogues gallery, I appreciate with the X-Men it ALWAYS comes down to the Sentinels!

And Destiny was a complete BOSS in her panels. Definitely need to keep her around once this is over.

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
I mean we still haven’t seen life 6 to know how that affected her. Also we know she had lived through multiple genocides and violent deaths. Like the idea Xavier runs for President sounds good, but we’re living in a reality where we see how temporary a president is for progress if the people are too stupid to accept it.

Like another flaw to that argument is does Xavier becoming president stop the rise of Magneto, Sentinels, and Apocalypse? Especially Sentinels existing means Xavier would eventually be found to be a mutant and hunted. Would that help that cause or hurt it?

I never said a single thing about Xavier running for president, and that's assuredly not the only way to work as a political actor. We talk constantly about the X-Men concept being a metaphor for minority struggle, and most of our heroes never held any political office (because it was explicitly or implicitly denied to them), yet were able to influence the political climate via activism, influencing the mindsets of those in office, propaganda, protest, cultural transformation, etc. Yet none of these avenues are really explored save for a run or two in the X-Men mythos. It always has to either be superheroics, authoritarianism, or separatism, which is especially ludicrous when you have someone like Moira who has lived so many lives and yet never thought to actually attempt to work the political climate to her benefit (and no, forming the X-Men and having them play superhero doesn't count). This could be the focus of life 10, what with the whole Krakoa nation-state deal, but it still begs the question of why working American and international politics without a Mutant nation-state was never broached as an option.

Hell, I even wondered why Moira, who was explicitly told by Destiny that she would live at least 11 lives and then had her rebirth powers explicitly demonstrated to her in irrefutable fashion by Pyro, didn't just spend a life gathering information. Don't do anything except watch the principle players, see how they act without your influence (as much as you can manage), and figure out what drives them before using your next life to attack the issue. But writing that (and anything else I mentioned in this post) would require a writer that's actually interested in how humans interact in different scenarios, as opposed to ramming characters into plots to fit his concepts.

(And don't tell me that the consequences of real world politics have no place in X-Men comics given, say, Magneto's entire character, or even the very inspiration of the X-Men.)

It always has to either be superheroics, authoritarianism, or separatism with these guys, or even with superhero comics in general. It betrays a massive lack of imagination, and even a reactionary politics inherent to the superhero genre in general (need to solve a problem? Just use force! That always works! Don't worry about the billions of dollars of damage you caused, the hundreds of people that were killed in your crusade, or the general optics of your solution! Just fukking punch it without properly exploring any other option first!). It's pure idiocy and we deserve more thought put into our comics than some fukking nerd jerking off to his latest reading of the MIT Technology Review is putting into it.

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps

timeline.jpg

:what: everything is in life 10 in life 9 she joined apocalypse wtf are you looking at. And how is her and the professor doing the political thing in a democracy? He would have keep a lot of people in control and isnt that against his beliefs?

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
:what: everything is in life 10 in life 9 she joined apocalypse wtf are you looking at. And how is her and the professor doing the political thing in a democracy? He would have keep a lot of people in control and isnt that against his beliefs?

1. That's what I thought initially, and that's still my dominant thought based on the dialogue and data pages. But I wouldn't put it past Hickman to have Years 1 and 10 be in life 10, and years 100 and 1000 be Moira's memory of life 9. There's just enough ambiguity for him to pull a trick like that. Although WHY it or anything else he does needs to be so ambiguous is another question entirely (who cares whether you plan your entire run out from start to finish if you can't write a satisfying and complete single comic issue in the process. These books are $4 a shot now, come the fukk on already).

2. You play politics like any other person, you just happen to have mutant powers. Just because you have them doesn't mean you have to use them in every aspect of your life (that could make for an interesting story regarding the burden of power and when to use them when advocating for your rights as an empowered person, but alas, superheroics and technobabble and shyt...).

3. Don't act as if Xavier has this great moral compass when it comes to using his powers, especially when the last 15-20 years of stories have told us differently.