Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

John Reena

Superstar
Daps
I was reading it like...OK, in one of these lives Moira and Xavier are going to get into politics and Chuck is going to use his power to ascend to higher office while nudging other pols into siding with him on his pro-mutant agenda. But nope, she just seemed to get dumber and dumber with every new lifetime.

The life when she went all in with Apocalypse :damn::ooh::lupe:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I was reading it like...OK, in one of these lives Moira and Xavier are going to get into politics and Chuck is going to use his power to ascend to higher office while nudging other pols into siding with him on his pro-mutant agenda. But nope, she just seemed to get dumber and dumber with every new lifetime.

Who's to say that wont the 11th (and final) life of hers :troll:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Thing is, I've been reading a lot of older comics for the most part. Like, I did a run through of most of Alan Moore's DC work and From Hell a while back, and I don't understand how people can call some of the garbage we read these days good writing. Swamp Thing, some of his worst material from the 1982-1988 period (despite how stunningly great it all is) absolutely shyts on some of the best comics we get today 10 times over. Don't even get me started on the gulf between something like From Hell and modern mainstream comics. Comics these days barely have the temerity to make sense.
FROM HELL is my pick for the best thing Alan Moore every wrote as well as the best thing that has ever come from the comic book industry in total.

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
FROM HELL is my pick for the best thing Alan Moore every wrote as well as the best thing that has ever come from the comic book industry in total.

I may have said this earlier on in the thread, but I'm about of this opinion myself. People love to talk about how great Watchmen is and how it elevated the comics medium (and it definitely is an all-time classic) but the gulf in quality and inspiration between it and From Hell is genuinely ludicrous. From Hell is the best thing Moore's ever written by a wide, wide margin.

I've always had this theory that Watchmen and Twilight of the Superheroes were meant to be Moore's final statements on the superhero genre. Watchmen looking to the past and present of the superhero's place in modern American culture, and TotS looking to the future. Watchmen, of course, came off and was well-received (for many wrong-headed reasons, among others). But once DC didn't let him do TotS, he lost the inspiration to write superhero comics, and decided to look elsewhere to a different headspace and genre where he could really stretch himself (compared to From Hell, a lot of his superhero work seems incredibly restrained conceptually). From Hell probably came partially from the frustration of dealing with DC, as well as the opportunity he was presented to explore the limits of what he conceived the comics medium could be independent of the DC machine. And from that we get something as excellent as From Hell.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I may have said this earlier on in the thread, but I'm about of this opinion myself. People love to talk about how great Watchmen is and how it elevated the comics medium (and it definitely is an all-time classic) but the gulf in quality and inspiration between it and From Hell is genuinely ludicrous. From Hell is the best thing Moore's ever written by a wide, wide margin.

I've always had this theory that Watchmen and Twilight of the Superheroes were meant to be Moore's final statements on the superhero genre. Watchmen looking to the past and present of the superhero's place in modern American culture, and TotS looking to the future. Watchmen, of course, came off and was well-received (for many wrong-headed reasons, among others). But once DC didn't let him do TotS, he lost the inspiration to write superhero comics, and decided to look elsewhere to a different headspace and genre where he could really stretch himself (compared to From Hell, a lot of his superhero work seems incredibly restrained conceptually). From Hell probably came partially from the frustration of dealing with DC, as well as the opportunity he was presented to explore the limits of what he conceived the comics medium could be independent of the DC machine. And from that we get something as excellent as From Hell.
Watchmen has a pretty safe spot at the top of super-hero comics but I agree with you that it pales in comparison to From Hell just in terms of storytelling and going beyond what the comic book medium is as a whole.
From Hell is literature with pictures.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
House Of X #2

:damn:

Hickman using his wild imagination n ideas in the X-Men universe is everything I thought it would be.

:banderas:

I don't even care about the X-Men but this muthafukka Hickman stays leaving half his viewership in amazement:ohlawd: and the other half fukkin furious :mjlol:

But like TSC in 2015, everyone gon be right back watching next week regardless :dead: Raw (HoX) and Smackdown (PoX) :russ::russ:

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
Absolute Carnage starting off pretty dope Stegman absolutely killed the art the ending of the issue though :wow::damn:

House of X 2 reveal makes a lot of sense Hickman already making his mark :wow:
can't for Powers next week.

Immortal Hulk continues to be dope its really starting to feel like a darker version of Peter Davis run.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly, I can see why some might not be too crazy about the Hickman's retcon, but this is the most intrigued I've been about an X-Men story in over a decade. As someone mentioned earlier, I'm sure that Hickman will set things back to something everyone is more familiar with. In the meantime, I'm going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City

It said she became radicalized, radical people aren't the best thinkers. :yeshrug:

Anyhow Hickman is only on the third issue and got me intrigued:wow:.

Last edited:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
House of X #2

After reading it...life 1 was her best life :laff:

About that 6th life
Considering lives 4-5 ended with sentinels genociding mutants. Life 6 must have been some seriously next level sentinel shyt. Because she goes after Trask's family asap in life 7. I'm thinking the reason life 6 is redacted, is because she probably had a hand in sentinel creation in this life.

Also did they just straight jack those designs from Stargate :skip:

Yeah Moira became radicalized, so she wasn't gonna make the best decisions going forward. But I'm not sure that whole political thing woulda worked out