Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He tryna say Hickman is a one trick pony or a hack. Hickman’s Fantastic 4, SHIELD, Avengers, and Secret Wars is nonstop EPICS.
Ok. And your point is he does them really well so he stays in that lane?

Should James Cameron make more character driven dramas?

Should we demand more conscious rap from Pusha T? :jbhmm:

:manny:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
3AsqDKV.png

:bryan: Vote Willie Fisk!

John Reena

Superstar
Daps
That preview for Hickman’s “Powers Of X” was

:blessed:

It look like mutants FINALLY got a peaceful utopia. They even showed Wolverine laughing and playing with kids.

:russ:

U know this not gonna last though.

:mjgrin:

Apex

Banned
Daps
The more Hickman opens his mouth, the less hope I have for this X-Men relaunch.

He's an arrogant dikkhead whose output doesn't merit said arrogance AT ALL. Maybe the most overrated writer in mainstream comics.
is there even a "mainstream comics" in 2019?

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
WHen I first started reading Batman #75 I was like...:martin: because I thought King was doing another imaginary story or alternate universe story but once it was made clear that everything is taking place in the primary DCU and just how and why Bane was doing what he was doing the story became even more enjoyable.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

BURBANK, CA – (July 12, 2019) – Today DC announced that acclaimed director, screenwriter and producer John Carpenter and Anthony Burch, writer of the hit video games Borderlands 2 and League of Legends, will make their DC Universe debut in a one-shot comic as part of the publisher’s “Year of the Villain” event in THE JOKER: YEAR OF THE VILLAIN #1, on sale October 9.

The Joker is the greatest villain in comics,” said Carpenter. “I’m proud to be reunited with Anthony on this project.”

While this one-shot is the first time that Carpenter and Burch will be writing a DC story, they’re no strangers to collaborating on comic books that tell big, over-the-top and bombastic tales, having previously co-written BOOM! Studios’ Big Trouble in Little China: Old Man Jack miniseries.

I'm excited beyond words to be writing for Gotham's greatest villain,” said co-writer Burch. “I hope the Joker's exploits make you laugh, shudder, and grow nauseous all at once.”

JOHN CARPENTER, ANTHONY BURCH TO WRITE THE JOKER: YEAR OF THE VILLAIN

Lost me as soon as I saw Anthony Burch. I'm super good on his style.

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
is there even a "mainstream comics" in 2019?

Looking at the sales numbers since the crash (which haven't even really recovered to 1997 levels on a per unit basis; most gains in dollar sales are due to the fact that comics flat out cost exponentially more than they did in the past), probably not. :manny:

Grant Morrison is close. :ld:

Maybe after 2013. He just doesn't seem to have the same energy in his work after Final Crisis (I might be the only person on the board who actually really liked Final Crisis and preferred it over Infinite Crisis) and his Batman run. Green Lantern is straining for it, but it's not quite getting there, which is kind of the same problem The Multiversity had as well (despite its successes).

I'd still prefer diminished Morrison over any version of Hickman though.

Last edited:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
DOOM is getting an ongoing series.
THE CRACK OF DOOM! From Christopher Cantwell (HALT AND CATCH FIRE, SHE COULD FLY) comes a new monthly ongoing series… Victor Von Doom – scientist, sorcerer, disfigured face, twisted soul – has been spending much of his time warning against a trillion-dollar global effort to create the first “artificial” black hole. Wrestling with visions of an entirely different life…a better future… DOCTOR DOOM finds himself at a crossroads. (what is he questioning?) A catastrophic act of terrorism kills thousands, and the prime suspect is… DOOM? Victor will have to push his unexplained thoughts aside and focus on remaining alive as the title of “Most Wanted Man” is thrust upon him…. Left with no homeland, no armies, no allies, indeed, nothing at all, will the reign of Doctor Doom come to an abrupt hal

Last edited: