Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

nightwing2016

All Star
Daps
Looking at the sales numbers since the crash (which haven't even really recovered to 1997 levels on a per unit basis; most gains in dollar sales are due to the fact that comics flat out cost exponentially more than they did in the past), probably not. :manny:

Maybe after 2013. He just doesn't seem to have the same energy in his work after Final Crisis (I might be the only person on the board who actually really liked Final Crisis and preferred it over Infinite Crisis) and his Batman run. Green Lantern is straining for it, but it's not quite getting there, which is kind of the same problem The Multiversity had as well (despite its successes).

I'd still prefer diminished Morrison over any version of Hickman though.

Morrison’s Batman and Robin run with dikk and Damian is probably one of my favorite Batman runs.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
annihilation-cover_0.jpg

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
MTU2MzU0NTUyNw==

Long-time Fantastic Fourfoe Doctor Doom will star in his own ongoing series from Halt & Catch Firecreator Christopher Cantwell and artist Salvador Larroca. Announced during a retailer event at Comic-Con International: San Diego, Doctor Doom will debut later this year.

"Victor Von Doom – scientist, sorcerer, disfigured face, twisted soul – has been spending much of his time warning against a trillion-dollar global effort to create the first “artificial” black hole," reads Marvel's solicitation. "Wrestling with visions of an entirely different life…a better future… DOCTOR DOOM finds himself at a crossroads. (what is he questioning?) A catastrophic act of terrorism kills thousands, and the prime suspect is… DOOM? Victor will have to push his unexplained thoughts aside and focus on remaining alive as the title of “Most Wanted Man” is thrust upon him…. Left with no homeland, no armies, no allies, indeed, nothing at all, will the reign of Doctor Doom come to an abrupt halt?"

Doom last led his own series in 2016's Infamous Iron Man title.

Marvel has not announced the debut date of Doctor Doom.

DOCTOR DOOM Imagines a Better Future in New Ongoing from MARVEL

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The new X-Men titles seem interesting.

Kitty Pryde out here on some pirate shyt?

Jean Grey part of X-Force?

Brehs.........could the X-Men be byke? :patrice:

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
The new X-titles leave me a little...underwhelmed.

Not to say they won't be interesting or good, but this doesn't seem all that different from 10000000000 other X-line relaunches. Reposition the mainline X-Men teams, throw out some interesting little morsels for people like me (Excalibur could be something if they handle it right, as could Fallen Angels), but nothing will actually be radically different from the post-90s status quo (STOP PUTTING THE CLASSIC NEW MUTANTS TOGETHER. Can they do nothing else with these characters? Also: Hard pass on the Black Ops X-Force rehash). What was so good about Morrison (and, to an extent, the Utopia era) was that we saw radical and interesting shifts in the mutant status quo. These new titles aren't really giving me that at all.

Like, I've said a lot about how I don't like Hickman's writing, but there ARE ideas there. They just don't happen to cohere into anything I want to read. Here it seems as if a good amount of his actually interesting ideas got filtered into House of X and Powers of X (which I will at least check out) and the actual X-titles contain the runoff. I'll give them a chance, because I wasn't expecting anything from Age of X-Man and ended up surprised at how good some of it was (until the plot kicked in...though I'm legitimately interested to see if anybody does anything with the end of Omega). Wouldn't be surprised if some of this worked for me as well.

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
He tryna say Hickman is a one trick pony or a hack. Hickman’s Fantastic 4, SHIELD, Avengers, and Secret Wars is nonstop EPICS.

He's both. A guy who just strings together a bunch of high-minded concepts and huge setpieces with no real sense of how they cohere into anything anyone could care about. There's a lot of flash, but no real substance: the equivalent of a Fast and Furious movie without any of the fun to balance out the stupidity of it all.

His Fantastic Four was overrated and borderline soulless at points. Even during big "emotional" moments I didn't feel anything reading his comics.

Don't get me started on his Avengers.

Why is it so hard for people believe that someone wouldn't like this sacred cow in good faith?

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
X-Men, by Jonathan Hickman and Leinil Francis Yu and featuring every Marvel mutant.

XMEN2019001-DC11.jpg

New Mutants, by Jonathan Hickman (writing the first arc), Ed Brisson (taking over after the first arc) and Rod Reis and featuring Magik, Sunspot, Cypher, Mirage, Karma, Wolfsbane, Chamber and Mondo

NEWMUT2019001-DC11.jpg

Excalibur, by Tini Howard and Marcus To
EXCAL2019001-DC11.jpg

Marauders, by Gerry Duggan and Matteo Lolli

MARAUDERS2019001-DC11.jpg

X-Force
, by Benjamin Percy and Joshua Cassara

XFORCE2019001-DC11.jpg

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Why is it so hard for people believe that someone wouldn't like this sacred cow in good faith?

Breh it seems like you are arguing with the clouds with this stuff, no one here has said it's impossible to not like Hickman. How long have you been keeping this stuff in your chest? :heh:
Is that Apocalypse in Excalibur? :dwillhuh:

Yup

"Mutantkind has always been special…as has their relationship with the world—or WORLDS—around them. As this new era dawns, a new connection forms between mutants and the magic of the world… and that of Otherworld! Can the new Captain Britain forge a new way through the chaos with her companions Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee, Rictor…and Apocalypse?!?"