Essential The Official Coli Travel Thread

nasty

Stunts, Blunts and HipHop
Supporter
Daps
going to Phuket Thailand in a month. going to train at some thai boxing gyms that Ive always wanted to check out. Ill be in that area for about a month, anything worth checking out in that area. Ive been to Phuket once before but only for a week, didn't do much except for fukk hookers and train, trying to explore and check stuff out more this time.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Do you guys travel alone?
With wife. It's difficult traveling with any female because they want to bring the entire house with them lol. If you find the right one that can go with the flow of things it makes traveling much easier, plus you're guaranteed hotel/vacation fukking with little to no effort.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
going to Phuket Thailand in a month. going to train at some thai boxing gyms that Ive always wanted to check out. Ill be in that area for about a month, anything worth checking out in that area. Ive been to Phuket once before but only for a week, didn't do much except for fukk hookers and train, trying to explore and check stuff out more this time.

Yea that sounds about right.

That's what's up you going there just to train,

Smashius Clay

The Millennium Brotha I Be
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Perpetual World Traveler
Colombia has been on my bucket list for a while and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and going down for a few days. For someone only going for a couple days which would you recommend, Bogota or Medellin?
Only going for a couple of days? Medellin is better. It's like a party city, so you'll be able to see and enjoy pretty much everything over the course of a long weekend.

LoMax30

Bokeem Hoodbine
Daps
Reppin
Chopped Cheese & Snapple Iced Tea
Only going for a couple of days? Medellin is better. It's like a party city, so you'll be able to see and enjoy pretty much everything over the course of a long weekend.
How is getting around? I know there's a metro there but how are the cabs/buses? My spanish is so-so but really isn't great, how much of an issue do you think that would present?

Smashius Clay

The Millennium Brotha I Be
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Perpetual World Traveler
How is getting around? I know there's a metro there but how are the cabs/buses? My spanish is so-so but really isn't great, how much of an issue do you think that would present?
Stick to using uber, that way you don't need to over-explain where you want to go. It's also crazy cheap.

In a pinch you can definitely take a taxi. The metro is nice, but to me it has always made more sense to take an uber/taxi, unless you're looking to take the Metro Cable up to Parque Arvi.

LoMax30

Bokeem Hoodbine
Daps
Reppin
So you just walk around on your own or meet up with others?
Pretty much. There are things I enjoy doing that can be done solo (museums, shopping, sightseeing, etc.) If not that then yea, I'll just walk around by myself and see what I can stumble upon. I also try to chat people up for recommendations as far as places to eat or spots for nightlife. Sometimes that leads to them actually showing me around later which is dope because then I get a local's perspective.

As far as going out/partying, it's only weird if you make it weird. I don't think so much about "I'm in here by myself, I don't want to look awkward." It's more like "I'm by myself in another country which means I can do whatever the hell I feel like doing:blessed:" Truth be told, I've done some damage while traveling and partying dolo:shaq:

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Pretty much. There are things I enjoy doing that can be done solo (museums, shopping, sightseeing, etc.) If not that then yea, I'll just walk around by myself and see what I can stumble upon. I also try to chat people up for recommendations as far as places to eat or spots for nightlife. Sometimes that leads to them actually showing me around later which is dope because then I get a local's perspective.

As far as going out/partying, it's only weird if you make it weird. I don't think so much about "I'm in here by myself, I don't want to look awkward." It's more like "I'm by myself in another country which means I can do whatever the hell I feel like doing:blessed:" Truth be told, I've done some damage while traveling and partying dolo:shaq:
Need to nut up and travel solo but walking around on my own as a black man in some foreign land makes me :hamster:

LoMax30

Bokeem Hoodbine
Daps
Reppin
Need to nut up and travel solo but walking around on my own as a black man in some foreign land makes me :hamster:
Well, I think it kinda depends on where you go. For the most part if you go to places that are used to tourists it shouldn't really be a big deal. For example, going somewhere like Berlin, people wouldn't blink twice seeing a black person. But go to one of those more rural parts of Germany and it might be :huhldup: You'd probably have no business being in those rural parts anyway though.

If you haven't traveled solo before I'd say start with something like a long weekend in a place like Miami or Chicago. There's enough to do there that you shouldn't really have a moment to sit down and think "I'm a weirdo for traveling by myself:to:" If you want to travel internationally by yourself I say Montreal is a good starter trip. It really doesn't cost much or take long to get there. Culturally it's different than the states but people also speak english and there is a sense of 'familiarity' with it still being in North America.

Trust me, I'm not into all that 'Travel Noire' bs but don't let your blackness or lack of a travel partner hinder you from exploring the world. You'd be surprised how much you can learn about other cultures but also about yourself. Traveling is a mirror and a window.