Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Ya'll seen this shyt?

Loved the 1st half. It had such an eerie atmosphere, along with a disturbing soundtrack to accompany Hawke digging deeper into those home movies. Bagul was subtle with his appearances, which bumped up his creep factor even more. Have not and will never watch the sequel, but from what I've seen in the trailers, it looks like he's the opposite of subtle.

Vibed with it until those ghost kids popped in and took me out of the film a bit :unimpressed:, but it still had a solid landing.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
@MartyMcFly please tell @Jello Biafra to stop messing with my movie moments - he doesn’t like The Collector, he’s downplaying Texas Chainsaw Massacre and now he hates Sinister; he’s mean and he’s stealing my joy - my few minutes of horror moments that are already few and far between because of this lockdown affecting everything - he’s being super extra and I don’t like it. Tell him to Just let me live in what I have to look forward to
:sadbron:

TIMEOUT....he doesnt like sinister??? @Jello Biafra first off, lets enjoy the most wonderful time of the year. let her have her joy

Secondly, explain this sinister dislike, sir

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Loved the 1st half. It had such an eerie atmosphere, along with a disturbing soundtrack to accompany Hawke digging deeper into those home movies. Bagul was subtle with his appearances, which bumped up his creep factor even more. Have not and will never watch the sequel, but from what I've seen in the trailers, it looks like he's the opposite of subtle.

Vibed with it until those ghost kids popped in and took me out of the film a bit :unimpressed:, but it still had a solid landing.

The second one it way less subtle but that was more based on the angle the took. The movie plays from the child's perspective that Bagul and his ghosts are recruiting for next. So you get to see a different perspective that ought to expand on the lore.

The problem is it doesn't do anything that's really new or interesting. It's about as basic a version of what you'd expect to be happening from the kids' perspectives as anyone could imagine. The home movies aren't as effective either, though I'm not sure if that's more just us knowing what to expect by now.

Even with that, I actually think Sinister 2 gets more heat than it deserved. I liked some perspective plays at the end of the movie and the idea of showing the child's perspective was cool if they just added some fresh elements to change the formula just a bit. I really wish they'd have done the original justice.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I watched back Texas Chainsaw Massacre for about the 100th time. I did it theater style too, big tv with the sound blasting in a pitch black room. The second those first camera flashes hit with the quick close ups of creepy pictures and the sound lands...it still hits. Top three all time for me.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The second one it way less subtle but that was more based on the angle the took. The movie plays from the child's perspective that Bagul and his ghosts are recruiting for next. So you get to see a different perspective that ought to expand on the lore.

The problem is it doesn't do anything that's really new or interesting. It's about as basic a version of what you'd expect to be happening from the kids' perspectives as anyone could imagine. The home movies aren't as effective either, though I'm not sure if that's more just us knowing what to expect by now.

Even with that, I actually think Sinister 2 gets more heat than it deserved. I liked some perspective plays at the end of the movie and the idea of showing the child's perspective was cool if they just added some fresh elements to change the formula just a bit. I really wish they'd have done the original justice.

I disagree. I think the second half is effective. But it does suffer from being sped up a bit to get to the finish. And of course the tension is already ramped up at that point so it needs to release.

I didn’t fukk with sinister 2 in the least bit and barely remember anything outside of a few scenes.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I watched back Texas Chainsaw Massacre for about the 100th time. I did it theater style too, big tv with the sound blasting in a pitch black room. The second those first camera flashes hit with the quick close ups of creepy pictures and the sound lands...it still hits. Top three all time for me.
One of my first girlfriends I scarred for life when I made her watch the OG TCM with me. She said she would have nightmares about leatherface for weeks. I felt bad after a while because she didn't want to sleep for the longest she would keep me on the phone for hours into the night.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I disagree. I think the second half is effective. But it does suffer from being sped up a bit to get to the finish. And of course the tension is already ramped up at that point so it needs to release.

I didn’t fukk with sinister 2 in the least bit and barely remember anything outside of a few scenes.

When I say the second one in that first paragraph, I'm talking about the second movie.

I agree that the second half was mostly effective. There's one scene that I absolutely loathe which is when the ghost kids run around the house "shh'ing." But to me the original is good all the way through besides that. I agree they rushed the conclusion a bit, but it worked to nail the surprise effectively. The first Sinister is a damned good horror for sure.

The sequel couldn't really play subtlety because the original twist was already known. So they ran the story and film watching from the kid's eyes instead. That could have been effective but they didn't do anything creative about it. It was just ghost children peer pressuring the living kid to watch some movies and then make his own. But what I did like was that they showed how the kid's home life made him feel alienated and susceptible and then the final sequence with the corn field included a bunch of viewpoint angles that were cool (it was choppy on the hardcuts though).

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
One of my first girlfriends I scarred for life when I made her watch the OG TCM with me. She said she would have nightmares about leatherface for weeks. I felt bad after a while because she didn't want to sleep for the longest she would keep me on the phone for hours into the night.

When the Strangers came out, my ex came with me to see it and almost had a full blown panic attack. We had to take a walk to the concession stand, eat some candy and take some deep breaths...she soldiered through the rest after that break though and refused to let me miss it. I made it up to her by going to watch the Twilight Movie with her a while later :mjgrin:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
When the Strangers came out, my ex came with me to see it and almost had a full blown panic attack. We had to take a walk to the concession stand, eat some candy and take some deep breaths...she soldiered through the rest after that break though and refused to let me miss it. I made it up to her by going to watch the Twilight Movie with her a while later :mjgrin:
Hilarious. I can't believe I forgot, I messed with this chick who was a horror fan but not hard-core but she liked scary movies. We watched High Tension and this broad and my older cousin who was at the crib at the time were both hiding behind furniture. They kept moving back, one moment they behind the couch peeking over it then they way back by the kitchen. By the end they were pretty much hiding behind the wall peeking around the corner. They couldn't stop watching but they were fukking terrified. :russ::russ::russ:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Hilarious. I can't believe I forgot, I messed with this chick who was a horror fan but not hard-core but she liked scary movies. We watched High Tension and this broad and my older cousin who was at the crib at the time were both hiding behind furniture. They kept moving back, one moment they behind the couch peeking over it then they way back by the kitchen. By the end they were pretty much hiding behind the wall peeking around the corner. They couldn't stop watching but they were fukking terrified. :russ::russ::russ:

:deadrose::deadrose::deadrose:

I can't even front. High Tension is way up on my scariest list, that one hit me heavy the first time I watched it. I can understand their reactions!

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
:deadrose::deadrose::deadrose:

I can't even front. High Tension is way up on my scariest list, that one hit me heavy the first time I watched it. I can understand their reactions!
Yeah it definitely on first watch, pretty awesome. My mom sat through that movie and almost had same reaction she was about 30 feet from the TV by the end. Lol.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Scariest movie...

Ever???

:martin:

No.

Thats "The Exorcist."

:ufdup:
That's the most UNSETTLING MOVIE ever. I'll never watch Exorcist again in this lifetime. Like ever. But SINISTER, that movie was scary.
SINISTER 2 was bullshyt but the original SINISTER, I would say that was in the top 6 of all time, early. @kdslittlebro
The Bagul and the manner of death, the lawnmower scene, the end scene. That might be even in my top 2 scariest storylines and twisted endings of all time.

Most DISTURBING scene of all time, I would have to say that little boy with the Hat Lady adrenochroming him, in Dr. Sleep.