Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
What’s up with all these horror movie themes being released lately:
- movies with “Uber ride” or “Lyft” drivers from hell that kill passengers (Spree, End Trip)

- movies about apartments with crazy tenants or psycho neighbors (1BR)
- movies about zoom meetings or chat room demonic possessions (host, countdown)
- movies about going camping or going to a lodge to be possessed by an unknown force or evil stalkers (The Strange Ones, The Lodge, The Rental and Beach House)
- movies about unsuspecting random people serving as victims to the “elite” (the Hunt, get out, Ready or Not)
- movies about humanistic robots/synths mimicking behavior (US, Replicas)

- all while going through a real life lockdown/quarantine
anyone seeing a pattern?

Basically- don’t leave your house, don’t interact with anyone you don’t have prior engagements with, don’t help anyone bc it will be to your detriment, if you call a rideshare service- you will risk your life, if you socialize or try to take a vacation - you will not make it back home. Common theme: Don’t leave your house or you will die.
*Message*
:patrice::merchant:
Or maybe 6 months of quarantine have finally taken over my brain to the point of being overly analytical and over thinking
:francis:
But we can’t deny that horror movies have a tie-in with a stream of social consciousness
:jbhmm:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
- movies with “Uber ride” or “Lyft” drivers from hell that kill passengers (Spree, End Trip)

- movies about going camping or going to a lodge to be possessed by an unknown force or evil stalkers (The Strange Ones, The Lodge, The Rental and Beach House)
- movies about unsuspecting random people serving as victims to the “elite” (the Hunt, get out, Ready or Not)

anyone seeing a pattern?

Basically- don’t leave your house, don’t interact with anyone you don’t have prior engagements with, don’t help anyone bc it will be to your detriment, if you call a rideshare service- you will risk your life, if you socialize or try to take a vacation - you will not make it back home. Common theme: Don’t leave your house or you will die.
*Message*
Or maybe 6 months of quarantine have finally taken over my brain to the point of being overly analytical and over thinking
But we can’t deny that horror movies have a tie-in with a stream of social consciousness

- Uber and Lyft horror is a play on awkward Uber conversations, I've had some weird ones. Uber and Lyft in general kinda takes us out of the "don't talk to strangers" mindset we were raised on. We get into cars with strangers constantly now. I'm waiting for them to bring this full circle (if they haven't yet) and have the Uber/Lyft Passenger be the stalker. We'll have hit all the marks that Hitchhiker horror used to cover (sometimes the driver's the evil stranger and sometimes the passenger is).

- Zoom and Chat room horror I'd categorize with media based horror and more specifically communications stuff. Landline phones got a classic in When a Stranger Calls (and that story is urban legend based). Then it was haunted cell phones. There were movies about haunted websites (there's one with a website that says "do you want to see a ghost" and when people click the link they get haunted but I forget the name. Facetime, being the newest technology for communications, is making it's run now (starting with Unfriended I'd guess).

- With the campfire horror, I think it's a tweak from unsupervised teenagers as victims to the nuclear family.

- Unsuspecting victims to the elite is a pretty old trope that I think has just gotten a modern facelift. I'd make the case that the original unsuspecting victims to the elite were in Dracula.

- The mimicking humans ones really do feel brand new...I could try to link it to something like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" but I'm pretty sure that was a totally different kind of social commentary. In this case, I think a lot of the more recent versions have been about viewing ourselves as being one bad event away from being the "monsters" that we fear. They're "this could be any of us under the right conditions" horror. Where I would point to for some similar sentiments would be the original versions of Last House on the Left and the Hills Have Eyes...those ones didn't make the villains and heroes look alike. But they put good upstanding people into circumstances where they commit grizzly murders by the end of the movies.

I'd also throw in that all of this, imo, falls within the realm of middle class horror but that's another rabbit hole all it's own.

I don't think you're overthinking or overanalyzing fam! That's half the fun of horror, reading into it to figure out what's at the core of the scares and all that good stuff.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
- Uber and Lyft horror is a play on awkward Uber conversations, I've had some weird ones. Uber and Lyft in general kinda takes us out of the "don't talk to strangers" mindset we were raised on. We get into cars with strangers constantly now. I'm waiting for them to bring this full circle (if they haven't yet) and have the Uber/Lyft Passenger be the stalker. We'll have hit all the marks that Hitchhiker horror used to cover (sometimes the driver's the evil stranger and sometimes the passenger is).

- Zoom and Chat room horror I'd categorize with media based horror and more specifically communications stuff. Landline phones got a classic in When a Stranger Calls (and that story is urban legend based). Then it was haunted cell phones. There were movies about haunted websites (there's one with a website that says "do you want to see a ghost" and when people click the link they get haunted but I forget the name. Facetime, being the newest technology for communications, is making it's run now (starting with Unfriended I'd guess).

- With the campfire horror, I think it's a tweak from unsupervised teenagers as victims to the nuclear family.

- Unsuspecting victims to the elite is a pretty old trope that I think has just gotten a modern facelift. I'd make the case that the original unsuspecting victims to the elite were in Dracula.

- The mimicking humans ones really do feel brand new...I could try to link it to something like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" but I'm pretty sure that was a totally different kind of social commentary. In this case, I think a lot of the more recent versions have been about viewing ourselves as being one bad event away from being the "monsters" that we fear. They're "this could be any of us under the right conditions" horror. Where I would point to for some similar sentiments would be the original versions of Last House on the Left and the Hills Have Eyes...those ones didn't make the villains and heroes look alike. But they put good upstanding people into circumstances where they commit grizzly murders by the end of the movies.

I'd also throw in that all of this, imo, falls within the realm of middle class horror but that's another rabbit hole all it's own.

I don't think you're overthinking or overanalyzing fam! That's half the fun of horror, reading into it to figure out what's at the core of the scares and all that good stuff.
Thank you for this analysis!! Real interesting commentary that you lay out in this thread.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
- Zoom and Chat room horror I'd categorize with media based horror and more specifically communications stuff. Landline phones got a classic in When a Stranger Calls (and that story is urban legend based). Then it was haunted cell phones. There were movies about haunted websites there's one with a website that says "do you want to see a ghost" and when people click the link they get haunted but I forget the name. Facetime, being the newest technology for communications, is making it's run now (starting with Unfriended I'd guess).

I found it! This movie had an epic premise and REALLY CREEPY build-up...it's another one where I think they chose to wrong direction to take it in, but even so it's one of my most memorable "forgotten horror" movies. Also, the cast is some mid-2000's fire.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:ohhh:
they finished the directors before they could even start. Damn.

“Sources said the abrupt change was made over the last 48 hours, because financier Legendary didn’t spark to what it saw. So Garcia will be re-shooting from scratch. The film returns to the roots of the Hooper and Kim Henkel creation that was considered one of the scariest films of its era, even though most of the splatter was implied and not shown. The present-day film brings Leatherface back to terrifying life for a new generation.”

Oh this is going to be good - Returning to the roots of the original. - one of my favorite franchises getting A reshoot and reboot
:whew:

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Urban Legend and Texas Chainsaw getting reboots at the same time
:ooh::ooh:
They’re bringing the spirit of the late 90s early 2000s horror scene back
anigif_sub-buzz-5122-1519545230-5.gif

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Urban Legend and Texas Chainsaw getting reboots at the same time
:ooh::ooh:
They’re bringing the spirit of the late 90s early 2000s horror scene back
anigif_sub-buzz-5122-1519545230-5.gif
Yeah I hope the guy they brought in for Texas knows what he’s doing. Luckily they’re letting him start over though rather than pick up from what’s already there

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gave this a shot and the aesthetic was crazy. They really captured the graphic novel look and it made for some incredibly colorful gore and horror (most horror is too dark with muted colors to have such illustrative color play). My one complaint is that it all felt too fast...things escalate FAST! The pace fits the graphic novel style too; action is sudden as looking from one panel to another. The style points on it are through the roof and it's a fun ride.
That’s what it is!! The PACING- (I’ll be back to this thread later, I have a few reply thoughts about this movie but I need to stop procrastinating and get some work done)

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Yeah I hope the guy they brought in for Texas knows what he’s doing. Luckily they’re letting him start over though rather than pick up from what’s already there
Yes, from what I read they are starting the whole movie over from scratch. They fired everybody - nixed the whole entire original shoot,story, set etc and will start over from the beginning. They need to stop messing around and bring Rob Zombie on as co-creator, co-director or lead consultant. Wouldn’t that be an epic turn of events.
:banderas:

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz

anyone seeing a pattern?

*Message*
usually a breakthrough movie comments on something happening in society, it makes money, and then the rest of the studios do copycat projects.

Daps
Reppin
Denver
Yes, from what I read they are starting the whole movie over from scratch. They fired everybody - nixed the whole entire original shoot,story, set etc and will start over from the beginning. They need to stop messing around and bring Rob Zombie on as co-creator, co-director or lead consultant. Wouldn’t that be an epic turn of events.
:banderas:
TCM would be a much better fit for rob Zombie than Halloween. Dude can do one thing and one thing only: white trash hillbilly gore. Mix that with Halloween and you get a train wreck, but he might be able to do TCM