Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Man I have been horror starved.
You sound like me these past few weeks lol. Feels like withdrawal, for real. I’m so used to watching horror that when I watch regular non-horror related shows or movies, it’s like I have to make myself concentrate and not tune out. been watching horror movies since I was like 6 yrs old, now to just not have that constant flow of new content for the past few months it must have affected my wiring -
:mjlol:
complaining about not being scared or horrified enough
:stopitslime:
That is actually a thing though - horror movie viewers finding a certain comfort or escapism in terror and gore. We posted about that on here awhile back.
:ohhh:

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Ju-On: Origins was a really quick binge for me. The Grudge series has grown to be one of my favorites in all of horror despite some shortcomings beyond the initial drops. The Netflix series took the typical Grudge formula and threw in a bit of tweaking that's helped it to become one of the best iterations of the series imo.

What usually works for the Grudge is that once someone enters the house, their death is inevitable with no safe space. The curse can get people at any point, day or night; private place or public...and so even if a character is getting close to answers, they might get stopped in their tracks at the damned library because this thing doesn't play. On top of that, the narrative is always disjointed. So the story skips around and where a linear storyline is like connecting dots, you've got a jigsaw puzzle on your hands. The combination makes it a disorienting ride that's tense from start to finish...when it's good.

The problem with the formula is that every sequel was just another repetition. Once you get past the sequencing, it's a lot more predictable...person enters haunted location and encounters ghost; person leaves haunted location; ghost follows person and eventually kills them. All of this digression is to say that the new Grudge series has added ambiguity to tweak the recipe and make it feel unique again.

What I mean by that is that while the ghosts make plenty of appearances, the worst violence comes from living people haunted by the ghosts. The show goes to great lengths to show the types of heinous behavior that can spawn a vengeful spirit to follow a person the rest of their days. Every Grudge movie is about trauma sparking a chain reaction but in this series, every domino comes with a real life moment of violence attached rather than something we can simply blame on the ghosts. The curse feels more internalized and psychological than it ever has before.

But I gotta add a caveat now...the violence gets gratuitous at times. It's all a blur now but I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a trigger warning to attach to every single episode. There's rape, suicide, murder, violence against women and children...and it's all shown just a little more than I felt was necessary (actually a lot more in the fourth episode specifically). For as much as the injection of ambiguity works to refresh the formula a bit, it also forces us to sit through some really brutal imagery point blank.

The other tweak to the formula is that there's a feeling that having episodes instead of one run time gives us less predictable deaths. We've been taught to assume that when someone enters the house, they'll end up dead by the end of run time. But with episodes and seasons, a character's death isn't so easily timed. It's simple and more a result of the tv format than anything, but it helps a lot. I will admit though, I'm a bit annoyed at how this season ended.

Anyway, I love the original Grudge and Ju-On flicks. So consider me biased, but I really enjoyed this one. The violence can be gratuitous at points but I could say that about plenty of other shows and movies (Slasher on Netflix for example). It's a fresh take on the Grudge which has been needed for years and it's also refreshing to have some new horror to comb through.
Bookmarking this . I want to finish watching the series first and then read your review.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
They are categorizing Unsolved Mysteries as horror?
tenor.gif
It’s kind of good though - :lupe:
Depressing bc it’s true events but it serves the purpose of a scary mystery.
Did you watch the original with Robert Stack back in the day? I remember they used to show it late at night; making my parents buy night lights for my room bc it had me shook. My brother would tell me that the suspect in those stories could be anybody, our next door neighbor, my teacher at school, my friends’ parents - the people committing the murders were never caught and you never know who’s lurking around watching for their next victim.

Daps
Reppin
Denver
that’s the same message that I got when I watched HBO Now on AP fire stick.
:jbhmm:

@Flex Grossman they are really shytting on us with this Hbo now /go app on AP - saying “hbo now will no longer be supported on your device “ so I guess they’re just going to rebrand as HBO max altogether
:yeshrug: I’ll keep my cash then. With the Firestick I can get everything on hbo for free. Only reason I subscribe to Netflix/Hulu/shudder is for the convenience. If HBO don’t wanna make it convenient for me then fukk em

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Yeah.
Theyre always putting put some goofball shyt to "extend" the brand.
Just try and remake it into something possibly better. Smh

Exactly fam, the original movie had a pretty intriguing premise to work from that a clever director could do a ton with. I just watched In Fabric, the murder dress movie...we can't get an A24 style approach? I'd love that.

And then the first few sequels really built up the unique personalities of the puppets (even the first had some) and their anti-hero status.

The new stuff has gotten goofier and goofier. It culminates with Littlest Reich which took away most of the unique characteristics of the puppet in exchange for sheer volume of puppets. It makes the puppets the villains again which I wouldn't mind, except that they're not so threatening when a few people can kill 100 of them. And it completely loses everything that made the first three cult hits. What's worse is the generally warm reception for Littlest Reich means I doubt we'll get away from that direction.