Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Look who’s right here dapping this comment, as per usual
:aicmon:
one of you two haters can pre-purchase this, as a pre-birthday gift. I’ll accept this as a peace offering in lieu of retaliation
:unimpressed:

The design of the steelbook is actually cool.

Too bad it's just to house such garbage.:heh:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Netflix is finally adding content after 6 months of a horror gap
:francis:

They are categorizing Unsolved Mysteries as horror?
tenor.gif

BlaqkSpliffin

Ni**as Still Weird - Me
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I went HAM and finished Twilight Zone season 2. I think season 2 is way more consistent than season 1 which had a few episodes that didn't land well. In season 2 there are good episodes and great ones, with only a couple of exceptions. Season 2 takes a lot of ideas that are kinda derivative but attack from new angles and it when those hit...the impact is epic as all hell. I have a couple of season 1 episodes I want to rewatch and then if I've got some down time I'll probably rank em all like I did with Masters of Horror.

Must See Tier (These are the episodes I'd throw on for someone to get them hooked):
Try, Try - This is my absolute favorite episode of the season. A graduate student meets a stranger on a museum trip for an impromptu date that starts seeming too good to be true. Without spoiling anything, there's a concept at play here that we've seen a bunch of times. The core here is taking first date nerves and turning that into rising tension. You meet someone, hit it off right away and there's a combination of excitement and "how real is this" going on that feels universally understood...well the Twilight Zone took that sentiment and added a surreal element that takes those feelings from zero to 100 in 40 minutes.

A Small Town -
A Small Town is another story that takes an interesting concept and really plays with the idea to the max. A handyman has a chance to remake his town in the image his wife dreamed of before she passed away abruptly. But the credit for his actions keeps on landing with a shady mayor that wants to sell the town out. The device for enacting change is what takes that conflict and allows it to be something creative and fun. There are really cool visual plays and it's one of the more heartfelt stories of the entire season. I absolutely loved it.

The Who of You -
This is an episode that takes typical body swapping dynamics, adds a new mechanic to the mix and then runs wild with it. It's chaotic in the best way possible and I don't want to say too much or give anything away. We start with a desperate crime, the Twilight Zone works its magic and the ensuing confusion creates one of the most compelling rides of the entire series.

Meet in the Middle -
This is 3 out of 4 in my top tier that is a bit derivative. How many times have you seen a "voice in my head but is it real or am I crazy" scenario in fiction? Okay, but I bet it's never been quite like this. The joy of this episode is that it creates tension and release in a handful of unique and satisfying ways throughout the 40 minutes or so you rock with it. There's not just one big twist at the end, it's a series of surprises all built out from an episode that started off feeling like a bad version of the movie "Her." Instead, it warps into a straight up rollercoaster by the end with my favorite conclusion in either season of the Jordan Peele run.

Worth it (These are still strong but not quite top tier):

Among the Untrodden - High School girls' social dynamics explored via witchcraft; it's not the Craft though I promise. This one is about a bullied girl becoming close with the most popular girl in school after they realize the popular girl may have psychic powers. While those two build an understanding of each other, the bullied girl is also trying to fit in with the rest of the popular clique but struggling. This one doesn't really reinvent the wheel like the top tier ones did, but it does do a damned good job taking advantage of a familiar narrative.

You Might Also Like - This is the last episode of the season and it is bizarre as hell. A woman keeps falling into bizarre dreams that feel more like commercials, so she has a neighbor stick around to try and see if there's more than meets the eye going on. Nothing about this one is normal and there's a sense of humor that makes the mystery entertaining even when it gets disorienting. I could see them expanding and fleshing it out to something even bigger, but as a single episode, it's cool.

Ovation -
It's a "starving artist gets fame but at what cost" tale put through the Twilight Zone blender. I love these kinds of plots but that unfortunately renders them extremely predictable for me. So this was a pretty cool play on the concept but it never surprised me with the directions it chose. It's still playing to one of my favorite narratives though and I enjoyed it through and through.

A Human Face
- A Human Face is one of the most unique concepts of the season but it's also a story that unfolds almost entirely through exposition. That drops it down the list for me, as almost everything happens via a couple of conversations. That said, the underlying idea that they're exploring and devices they use to ask questions about loss, regret and second chances come together to still make this a fun ride...just one that I'd have liked to see explored more visually.

The light episodes (Skippable episodes, interesting ideas but weak execution):
Downtime - This one is another of the more derivative feeling episodes but unlike the others, the twist it brings to the concept doesn't feel like it's utilized well enough. So it's a creative idea but doesn't feel like they get very far beneath the surface and it reminded me too much of certain predecessors with similar ideas explored.

- Consider this one a creature feature but I don't think 40 minutes is enough time to build up both plot and scares (aka kills). I just don't think there was enough time to get invested in the characters or the tension/creature. So it felt flat for me.
This summary was fire and very helpful pleighboi.:wow: I'm gonna need that first season review too.:ufdup:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Ju-On: Origins was a really quick binge for me. The Grudge series has grown to be one of my favorites in all of horror despite some shortcomings beyond the initial drops. The Netflix series took the typical Grudge formula and threw in a bit of tweaking that's helped it to become one of the best iterations of the series imo.

What usually works for the Grudge is that once someone enters the house, their death is inevitable with no safe space. The curse can get people at any point, day or night; private place or public...and so even if a character is getting close to answers, they might get stopped in their tracks at the damned library because this thing doesn't play. On top of that, the narrative is always disjointed. So the story skips around and where a linear storyline is like connecting dots, you've got a jigsaw puzzle on your hands. The combination makes it a disorienting ride that's tense from start to finish...when it's good.

The problem with the formula is that every sequel was just another repetition. Once you get past the sequencing, it's a lot more predictable...person enters haunted location and encounters ghost; person leaves haunted location; ghost follows person and eventually kills them. All of this digression is to say that the new Grudge series has added ambiguity to tweak the recipe and make it feel unique again.

What I mean by that is that while the ghosts make plenty of appearances, the worst violence comes from living people haunted by the ghosts. The show goes to great lengths to show the types of heinous behavior that can spawn a vengeful spirit to follow a person the rest of their days. Every Grudge movie is about trauma sparking a chain reaction but in this series, every domino comes with a real life moment of violence attached rather than something we can simply blame on the ghosts. The curse feels more internalized and psychological than it ever has before.

But I gotta add a caveat now...the violence gets gratuitous at times. It's all a blur now but I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a trigger warning to attach to every single episode. There's rape, suicide, murder, violence against women and children...and it's all shown just a little more than I felt was necessary (actually a lot more in the fourth episode specifically). For as much as the injection of ambiguity works to refresh the formula a bit, it also forces us to sit through some really brutal imagery point blank.

The other tweak to the formula is that there's a feeling that having episodes instead of one run time gives us less predictable deaths. We've been taught to assume that when someone enters the house, they'll end up dead by the end of run time. But with episodes and seasons, a character's death isn't so easily timed. It's simple and more a result of the tv format than anything, but it helps a lot. I will admit though, I'm a bit annoyed at how this season ended.

Anyway, I love the original Grudge and Ju-On flicks. So consider me biased, but I really enjoyed this one. The violence can be gratuitous at points but I could say that about plenty of other shows and movies (Slasher on Netflix for example). It's a fresh take on the Grudge which has been needed for years and it's also refreshing to have some new horror to comb through.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Cant sleep.
Grabbed some oreos and fled to the couch.
Watching og PuppetMaster on HBO On Demand.

Edit HBO GO.

GO will be unavailable starting July 31st.

I got the DVD set with the whole PuppetMaster collection. I love those damned movies. Wish they'd get a legit reboot attempt instead of the purposeful schlock we got with the Littlest Reich movie.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I got the DVD set with the whole PuppetMaster collection. I love those damned movies. Wish they'd get a legit reboot attempt instead of the purposeful schlock we got with the Littlest Reich movie.
Yeah.
Theyre always putting put some goofball shyt to "extend" the brand.
Just try and remake it into something possibly better. Smh

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Watched all of ju-on I liked it . But you definitely have to pay close attention to everything
This is facts- you really do. I’ve been trying to watch this for the past 3 days but I keep getting distracted and having to restart the episode. This is one of those series where if you look away for a few minutes- you will definitely be lost or missing out on something. 30 minute eps. For horror series Are a pet peeve of mine. It’s like the sequences are rushed. I wonder why they just didn’t extend it to the normal 45.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Cant sleep.
Grabbed some oreos and fled to the couch.
Watching og PuppetMaster on HBO On Demand.

Edit HBO GO.

GO will be unavailable starting July 31st.
that’s the same message that I got when I watched HBO Now on AP fire stick.
:jbhmm:

@Flex Grossman they are really shytting on us with this Hbo now /go app on AP - saying “hbo now will no longer be supported on your device “ so I guess they’re just going to rebrand as HBO max altogether