Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Anyone check out Relic yet? A woman's mother goes missing, so she and her daughter head to the mother's home where they'll stay and try to find her. It's a haunting movie with a "is she possessed" game mixed. In terms of building tension and dread, this flick really bodies it. It toys with ambiguity in a way where a gang of interactions feel like they may or may not escalate. That said, it's a slow burn to get there and if the tension building doesn't land for you; you might find yourself bored. I think there's enough mystery and drama to still be worth admission, especially since it isn't long...but that's not gonna be the case for everyone. I'm also not sure that the ending has enough payoff or clarity to cover for all the tension and questions that were built into the narrative.

Anyway, I see Hereditary comparisons in the themes it rolls with most. There's an obvious mental health allegory and the same sort of "are they losing it or is something really happening" dynamic at play that we've seen from Hereditary and the Lodge also. I don't think this hits that height of quality, but it nailed the allegory imo. Mental health stuff always hits home for me and this film NAILED certain aspects of that. It's also got great performances from the three main actresses and I dig how scenes are shot. So it might not be a flick that I'll revisit but it's one I'm gonna remember.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
Not even sure if this is a horror or not

Watching
220px-Shelley_%28film%29.png

A childless couple make a bargain with their Romanian maid to serve as a surrogate. When the child inside her begins growing too quickly, it becomes clear that a sinister force is overtaking all of them.
Initial release: February 14, 2016
Director: Ali Abbasi
Music composed by: Martin Juel Dirkov
Nominations: Bodil Award for Best Danish Film, Robert Award for Best Cinematography, More
Languages: English, Danish, Swedish, Romanian, Norwegian

@Nicole0416

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Not even sure if this is a horror or not

Watching
220px-Shelley_%28film%29.png

A childless couple make a bargain with their Romanian maid to serve as a surrogate. When the child inside her begins growing too quickly, it becomes clear that a sinister force is overtaking all of them.
Initial release: February 14, 2016
Director: Ali Abbasi
Music composed by: Martin Juel Dirkov
Nominations: Bodil Award for Best Danish Film, Robert Award for Best Cinematography, More
Languages: English, Danish, Swedish, Romanian, Norwegian

@Nicole0416
Hmmm.. Never saw this movie. You may have put me on to one this time.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
In terms of realistic rituals in horror, I always think of A Dark Song and the Alchemist's Cookbook. Those are both isolated though, and on a pagan tip.
I saw A Dark Song

I actually kinda liked it
I'ma check out that other 1
Props
Pos rep