Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I loved DOCTOR SLEEP.

The mix of horror with adventure was cool.
Flanagan did a really great job directing with most of the coolest stuff being in scenes where characters were jumping in and out of people's minds.
The re-casting of the characters from the OG THE SHINING were spot on especially Alex Essoe (from STARRY EYES) who did a spot on impersonation of Shelly Duvall's voice and mannerisms.
The villains were legit despicable as hell.
And Abra Stone is the best little kid character I have seen in a major motion picture in years.

Definitely recommend it.

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
I think I have finally made my peace on Ari Asshead. He’s not so bad after all, he just wants people to love his movies.

I think Aster wins mostly with a populist crowd because he makes a considerable effort to show disturbing gore visuals that mimic gore as realistically as possible, while also trying to have those “moments” that stick in your head i.e. the “blood eagle” thing. For People who don’t watch tons of horror movies, this is something new.

A good comparison would be the way gore is depicted in Event Horizon - meant to shock with its extremity (stood out among 90s movies especially). Aster tries for horrific set-ups in Midsommar much like Anderson does in Event Horizon, but I think he subconsciously also pulls his punches a little so that his tone doesn’t go in to campy territory and keeps that “elevated” indie look.

That hindrence, on top of flat and pretty uninspired characters and actors portraying them, was what made this fail in my mind. But that’s I guess the key piece: it fails for ME, but there’s no denying a lot of people that got a lot more out of this (letterboxd users can attest... lol). So, ultimately I think there will always be a lane of popular horror that works because people will shell out tickets. Gruesome realism is now in-Vogue thanks to Aster the way that James Wan’s fundamentalist haunted-house movies took over in the late-00’s/early 2010’s. Can’t be too mad at it, though it’s not great to me. Pretty much feel the same way about Hereditary though I liked that one at least a little bit more.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I loved DOCTOR SLEEP.

The mix of horror with adventure was cool.
Flanagan did a really great job directing with most of the coolest stuff being in scenes where characters were jumping in and out of people's minds.
The re-casting of the characters from the OG THE SHINING were spot on especially Alex Essoe (from STARRY EYES) who did a spot on impersonation of Shelly Duvall's voice and mannerisms.
The villains were legit despicable as hell.
And Abra Stone is the best little kid character I have seen in a major motion picture in years.

Definitely recommend it.
I Should have watched this instead of Midsommar.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

:gucci:

So no Tattoo? That's Strike 1 (even though I do appreciate that fake Rae Dawn Chong from MIDNIGHT, TX is getting work)

Strike 2 is Michael Pena as a Great Value O'Rourke who just got back from a weekend bender.

I do like the cast for the most part so it didn't strike out completely but I'm still like...why?