Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
I listened to Rob Zombie on Joe Rogan podcast recently, interesting dude.

But that being said... not really a big fan of his movies either..

Sid Haig always the best part of his films.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
ROB ZOMBIE'S HALLOWEEN
ISk3IAM.gif

The Good
Not much to be perfectly honest…I did think that the first murder scene was really well done but things went downhill really fast after that.
Zombie sets out to explain Michael Myers murderous nature and spends the first half of the film making a serial killer docudrama complete with therapy sessions and early warning signs of monstrous behavior…basically he tries to inject a shot of realism to this familiar horror icon. While the execution was horrible I do commend Zombie for at least trying to turn the concept on its ear.
I will also give kudos to Zombie for not being a complete nitwit using the familiar Carpenter penned movie theme instead of trying to cover it himself.
YCygh4l.gif

The Bad
Where to start?
- The clumsy “origin” of Michael Myers that Zombie boiled down to his being raised by white trash (mom’s a stripper, step-dad is a drunken bum, sister is a skank);
- The serial killer cliché of Michael killing small animals;
- The totally pointless therapy scenes between Michael and Loomis that seemed like a 3rd graders idea of psychoanalysis;
- Malcolm McDowell’s cheesy acting;
- The bland victims who were devoid of any personality;
- The chick playing Laurie Stroud isn’t fit to carry Jamie Lee Curtis’ jockstrap;
- The rushed second half of the film that played out as if it was a by the numbers copy of Carpenters film up until the extra weak ending.
EiifUnI.jpg

The Ugly
How the hell does Michael Myers go from a pudgy, undersized, slowful little kid to a 7 foot tall, hulking monster (that loony bin must have a hell of a weight room!) with seemingly preternatural strength and psychic abilities (how else to explain how he recognized his little sister all gown up with nothing to go on but an old picture of her as an infant) and uncanny detective skills that would leave Jim Rockford green with envy?
And the last thing you’d expect from a movie like this is for it to be boring but Zombie somehow managed to do just that which is a cardinal sin in slasher flicks. Add to that the outright hackiness of Zombie’s writing and this film just left me cold.
The glaringly obvious differences between Carpenter’s subtlety as a storyteller and Zombie’s heavy-handedness is best demonstrated by the early scenes of MIchael's home life and the over-done way Michael murdered his sister in Zombie’s film compared to how Carpenter did it in the original.
Was the Shatner mask really necessary at that point in the film? Must every aspect of the character be explained to death? The idea of a perfectly normal kid from a perfectly normal family just turning homicidal is far more frightening than anything that Zombie gave us.
mCsW8fE.jpg

Final Verdict
Man, this movie disappointed the living hell out of me. Instead of taking an opportunity to expand on the concept of inherent evil all Zombie did was descend into pure hackery and an over reliance on brutality to mask his own ineptitude as a director.
EReZp35.jpg

Let's see what Capt. Spaulding thinks about this movie...
uHIzui1.gif

Yeah, he doesn't like it all that much either.​

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
ROB ZOMBIE'S HALLOWEEN 2
NUEUrHI.jpg

The Good
Danielle Harris is the only good thing about this train wreck of a movie. As the doomed Annie Brackett she brings more depth and screen presence than all the other actors in this film combined. While I think both of these Halloween films would have been bad movies, I think having cast Harris as Lori instead of the wooden Scout Taylor-Compton would have improved at least one major failing of a seriously flawed film.
KmmrGPW.gif

The Bad
That 30some minute dream sequence at the beginning of the movie that was, I guess, Zombie’s paying homage to the original Halloween sequel had the potential to be good but fell victim to Zombie’s heavy handed directing style. It was interesting to see a pre-Oscar Octavia Spencer as a nurse that Myers quickly dispatched but even that kill was overdone. Zombie is almost pathologically incapable of subtlety.

Why does Rob Zombie work so hard to identify with Michael Myers? In the first film he tried to give his madness a reason by showing a horrible upbringing and in this film he tries to delve into Michael’s psyche by having him see the ghostly apparition of his mother (Zombie’s wife, Sheri Moon Zombie who must have had it written into her prenup that Rob has to cast her in all of his films) and by having him suffer an unprovoked attack by a bunch of rednecks. You would think that a guy who claims to have been such a fan of the original film would have recognized that Michael Myers doesn’t need to have a reason for his actions other than the fact that he is evil. In Rob Zombie’s world Michael Myers is some misunderstood manchild with anger issues and no impulse control all wrapped up in a twisted Oedipus complex.

And how the hell does Michael locate Lori’s address anyway. All we see of the guy is that he slowly walks to Haddonfield, kills an entire strip club, somehow locates and kills Lori’s two new best friends (who she didn’t know the last time Michael was in town) and then makes it out to the home Lori stays at despite it being far from town and in what looks like a pretty remote location.

I also was really annoyed by what Zombie does with the character of Dr. Loomis. Granted, the character was no great shakes in the first film but in this one he is just so vapid. What in the original films was a complex, very gray character with dubious motivations became in Zombie’s sequel a sleazy, attention starved hack that would be looked down upon by the likes of Kim Kardashian.
isOOC7i.jpg

The Ugly
The transformation of Lori from horror movie heroine to what I assume was meant to be the new successor to Michael Myer’s reign of terror may have seemed cool when Zombie bounced the idea off of his wife but in actuality it was the dumbest thing these re-imagined Halloween films have done and that is saying something because these two movies are just terrible.
QfXnpZl.jpg

Final Verdict
This was a dreadfully stupid movie that had one saving grace in Danielle Harris so of course her screen time was limited.
Zombie made every bad directing and writing choice that could be made with this movie (a white spirit horse, really?) and watching it felt like more of a chore than doing a week’s worth of laundry.
ED77S6d.jpg

Not even Michael Myers himself liked this dumpster fire of a movie:
43Frjxp.png

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
ROB ZOMBIE'S HALLOWEEN 2
NUEUrHI.jpg

The Good
Danielle Harris is the only good thing about this train wreck of a movie. As the doomed Annie Brackett she brings more depth and screen presence than all the other actors in this film combined. While I think both of these Halloween films would have been bad movies, I think having cast Harris as Lori instead of the wooden Scout Taylor-Compton would have improved at least one major failing of a seriously flawed film.
KmmrGPW.gif

The Bad
That 30some minute dream sequence at the beginning of the movie that was, I guess, Zombie’s paying homage to the original Halloween sequel had the potential to be good but fell victim to Zombie’s heavy handed directing style. It was interesting to see a pre-Oscar Octavia Spencer as a nurse that Myers quickly dispatched but even that kill was overdone. Zombie is almost pathologically incapable of subtlety.

Why does Rob Zombie work so hard to identify with Michael Myers? In the first film he tried to give his madness a reason by showing a horrible upbringing and in this film he tries to delve into Michael’s psyche by having him see the ghostly apparition of his mother (Zombie’s wife, Sheri Moon Zombie who must have had it written into her prenup that Rob has to cast her in all of his films) and by having him suffer an unprovoked attack by a bunch of rednecks. You would think that a guy who claims to have been such a fan of the original film would have recognized that Michael Myers doesn’t need to have a reason for his actions other than the fact that he is evil. In Rob Zombie’s world Michael Myers is some misunderstood manchild with anger issues and no impulse control all wrapped up in a twisted Oedipus complex.

And how the hell does Michael locate Lori’s address anyway. All we see of the guy is that he slowly walks to Haddonfield, kills an entire strip club, somehow locates and kills Lori’s two new best friends (who she didn’t know the last time Michael was in town) and then makes it out to the home Lori stays at despite it being far from town and in what looks like a pretty remote location.

I also was really annoyed by what Zombie does with the character of Dr. Loomis. Granted, the character was no great shakes in the first film but in this one he is just so vapid. What in the original films was a complex, very gray character with dubious motivations became in Zombie’s sequel a sleazy, attention starved hack that would be looked down upon by the likes of Kim Kardashian.
isOOC7i.jpg

The Ugly
The transformation of Lori from horror movie heroine to what I assume was meant to be the new successor to Michael Myer’s reign of terror may have seemed cool when Zombie bounced the idea off of his wife but in actuality it was the dumbest thing these re-imagined Halloween films have done and that is saying something because these two movies are just terrible.
QfXnpZl.jpg

Final Verdict
This was a dreadfully stupid movie that had one saving grace in Danielle Harris so of course her screen time was limited.
Zombie made every bad directing and writing choice that could be made with this movie (a white spirit horse, really?) and watching it felt like more of a chore than doing a week’s worth of laundry.
ED77S6d.jpg

Not even Michael Myers himself liked this dumpster fire of a movie:
43Frjxp.png
oh fuk no... foh with this.
Halloween is today too. Let Purge season begin, starting with you
giphy.gif

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Due to the continued unbridled slander content, reckless violations against Rob Zombie by a segment of posters in here who don't know when to shut up, stay in their lane, respect people's likes or dislikes and recognize independent dark, twisted talent when it's front of their biased irrational face; and in honor of Halloween, I am creating a series of 30 days of Rob Zombie nights (starting today, October 31st) in appreciation of the high underrated horror creator's contributions as a cultural icon (i.e. Rob Zombie's Appreciation posts). I will also review and comment on a few zombie-esque type films in addition to the highly popular and darkness inspiring films such as 31, The Devil's Rejects, House of 1000 Corpses etc etc. In light of the death of Sig Haig (rip) - This will be done in order to memorialize the late, great Captain Spaulding. Both recognizable talents, in their own rights. Last but not least, it would be remiss of me to leave out the natural grungy style comedic, horror influenced talents of his ever so faithful wife and actress, Sheri Moon Zombie. I will be reviewing at various points Rob's contributions to the genre- with compare and contrast highlights. Stay tuned.
Letssss get it!!

0aea61ef23913468424fbe71f3ae38e45b973f9e_hq.jpg

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RZ Day 1 - Tonight it is Halloweenie :blessed:
Brought to you by House of 1000 Corpses.
Be thankful for this introduction into the category of "Extreme Horror" along with the list of iconic horror characters.
-Released back in 2003, House of 1000 Corpses follows two couples traveling together who stumble upon Captain Spaulding’s “Murder Ride.” For many Zombie fans, Spaulding (played by Sid Haig), is the director’s first iconic character; wearing clown makeup, Spaulding is an uncomfortable mix of hilarious and violent. The film opens on Spaulding in an altercation with a robber, the former letting off vulgar “your momma” jokes. When the robber becomes distracted, Spaulding unloads a revolver several times into his face. For the brief time that Spaulding has in the film, he maintains a balance of goofy and chilling.

Last edited:

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
why is that?:jbhmm:
Idk! I hate to do my fellow paisanos like that lol. I think the loose narrative structures bore me a bit. I liked Deep Red but didn’t love it. I just watched my first Fulci movie (The Beyond) last night - some parts were really awesome but it was more of a spectacle of the past to me more than something I actively engaged in.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Idk! I hate to do my fellow paisanos like that lol. I think the loose narrative structures bore me a bit. I liked Deep Red but didn’t love it. I just watched my first Fulci movie (The Beyond) last night - some parts were really awesome but it was more of a spectacle of the past to me more than something I actively engaged in.
That’s cause there ain’t no narrative structure :wow: