Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I finally watched It 2 and I'm mixed on it. It's definitely better than the original series' second part. The movie also goes for the scares out the gate and has a really good volume of horror moments, a lot of movies feel like they go plot exposition and then a scare and then exposition and then scare and so on; but this one blends the two really well. But the killer for me was the damned CGI. Everything else was working for me! They'd be drip feeding you revelations in a scene that's also got this building unease about what IT is going to do or show up as and then he'd pop up as a blatant CGI creature that wasn't scary because it looked too fake. We're going on 2020 and green screen horror still almost never hits for me (respect to Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark for being an outlier).

My other complaint is that the characters are supposed to win by being together but felt isolated from each other the whole way through. I get why that happens but I don't think they did a convincing enough job drawing the characters back together or sharing the memories...basically, that's one thing the classic series did better for me. It really built up the connections between some of the characters in a way that I thought this new joint whiffed on. Here's an example, super corny 90's stuff, but it plays up that these are adults reviving their memories of being childhood friends and it even has an It appearance to ruin the fun.

I mark out for that ish right there. Didn't feel like the nostalgia was captured half as well in the new version, but the new version did a much better job on tension building. To put it another way; my favorite moments from any It movie (past or present) still mostly reside in the classics thanks to the payoffs not being killed by CGI. But the classics have huge gaps between those standout points whereas the new version is consistently tense and threatening but ruins its best moments by doing things like the CGI grandma (wrecking what was otherwise my favorite scene in the new series).

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Just a heads up: Little Monsters isn’t really horror
It's a horror movie, it's just part of the horror sub-genre of "Comedy-Horror" which is different from a "Horror-Comedy" in my book.
Comedy-Horror relies more on laughs than scares (ex. ZOMBIELAND and LITTLE MONSTERS) while Horror-Comedy is more scary with comedic elements (ex. RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD and AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON).

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Watched UNCANNY ANNIE, the latest installment of Hulu's Into The Dark series.
It was on the same level of mediocrity of all the Into The Dark movies and it's a bummer because the concept was basically Jumanji meets Hellraiser but the finished product was predictable as hell.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
It's a horror movie, it's just part of the horror sub-genre of "Comedy-Horror" which is different from a "Horror-Comedy" in my book.
Comedy-Horror relies more on laughs than scares (ex. ZOMBIELAND and LITTLE MONSTERS) while Horror-Comedy is more scary with comedic elements (ex. RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD and AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON).

Never seen it broken down like that, but I like it a lot. I was just saying in the other thread how the trilogy of stories in Body Bags have one that more comedy than horror, one that's more horror than comedy but has both and then one that's more or less straight horror. Basically, a Comedy-Horror plot, a Horror-Comedy plot and then a horror plot all in one anthology.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Never seen it broken down like that, but I like it a lot. I was just saying in the other thread how the trilogy of stories in Body Bags have one that more comedy than horror, one that's more horror than comedy but has both and then one that's more or less straight horror. Basically, a Comedy-Horror plot, a Horror-Comedy plot and then a horror plot all in one anthology.
It was a distinction that I and some friends came up with while trying to decide what were the Top 5 Horror/Comedy movies and some of them were disqualifying movies because they felt they were too comedic.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
THE TURNING
uCvglPd.jpg

At a mysterious estate in the Maine countryside, newly appointed nanny Kate (Mackenzie Davis) is charged with the care of two disturbed orphans, Flora (Brooklynn Prince) and Miles (Finn Wolfhard). She quickly discovers that both the children and the house are harboring dark secrets and things may not be as they appear.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Long convo I had with the director of in search of darkness. Of course I’m going to say it’s worth the read lol but if you’re a fan of 80s horror it definitely is. Even if I didn’t write it but I did

David A. Weiner On ‘In Search of Darkness,’ ’80s Horror, and Why You Should See ‘Society’ Right Now

Liked the little discussion about Society.
To me that movie is like if David Lynch and David Cronenberg had a baby that was adopted and raised by Roger Corman.

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
I gotta do a strong disagree on the “It 2” discourse my friends ...

When you stack 4-5 scare pieces one after the other, then some flimsy character progression, then a The Thing ripoff in a totally scare-free scene, THEN the final battle.... you’ve made one exhausted viewer. And I’m the kind of person that would rather have a movie with less exposition and a lot of scare scenes over the deadpan depictions of gruesome stuff (a lá the new “elevated horror” films), but this one just beat the dead horse like no other.

I didn’t even blame the young ladies next to me for talking, they were probably more bored than I was. The Muscietti guy left a lot to be desired when it came to absorbing the viewer in the world. Knowing the runtime alone, I braced for boredom but even still I was really struggling to stay on board with this. Sad because I liked Chapter 1

Last edited:

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
On that note of boring horror, my movie last night was Carpenter’s “Christine”.

Great characterization & allegorical content to chew on, great cinematography (maybe Carpenter’s best?), great score by the man as always. But the kills and overall idea of the killer car were super weak so I can see why this is often not as beloved as some of his other work. Despite the super tepid scares, the atmosphere was so great I can see myself watching again.

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
Last night’s movie was “Hell House LLC”. I was going to watch an Argento or Fulci but since I watched a few older/more tame movies in the last few nights, I decided on this since I saw a lot of you guys recommended it. I wanted something less classical and with a little more scare power lol.

And scare me it did. There’s something to be said about a project that first gets the fundamentals right. Definitely not an air-tight script but the scares were well done and the story was unique enough to stand out in the FF/mumblegore field. Good call guys :biggrin:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
I gotta do a strong disagree on the “It 2” discourse my friends ...

When you stack 4-5 scare pieces one after the other, then some flimsy character progression, then a The Thing ripoff in a totally scare-free scene, THEN the final battle.... you’ve made one exhausted viewer. And I’m the kind of person that would rather have a movie with less exposition and a lot of scare scenes over the deadpan depictions of gruesome stuff (a lá the new “elevated horror” films), but this one just beat the dead horse like no other.

I didn’t even blame the young ladies next to me for talking, they were probably more bored than I was. The Muscietti guy left a lot to be desired when it came to absorbing the viewer in the world. Knowing the runtime alone, I braced for boredom but even still I was really struggling to stay on board with this. Sad because I liked Chapter 1
I think that I actually agree with you on this one. IT2 dragged ... wow did it drag. There was a lot of extraneous filler material and unnecessary parts that could have been left out of this movie and it would have still been fine.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Liked the little discussion about Society.
To me that movie is like if David Lynch and David Cronenberg had a baby that was adopted and raised by Roger Corman.
Meant to say he mentioned lynch. I cut it out for flow purposes but he said the movie is very Lynchian. It’s just so damn weird