Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Question for everyone: do you want your horror flick to be scary and fun or just scary? Or just fun?

Listening to this podcast where they’re doing a draft on the Jason and Freddy franchises and it’s interesting hearing different perspectives on why one is ranked over another. But one of the guests just said he doesn’t want his nightmare on elm st movies to be “fun,” he wants them to be primal and evoke a real sense of dread. Which is why he ranks nightmare 1 over nightmare 3.

So yeah what say you all?

This is a dope topic (may steal it for a pop culture podcast topic if you don't mind).

I actually think I cold play devil's advocate with most and say fun moments as tension release valves can improve the experience and add replayability. Like, I really like Hereditary and watched it twice to catch what I missed the first time through but I have no real urge to watch it back again...it's too damned dark. Whereas I have a ton of love for the first Insidious which has really good, scary and tense moments but also includes a bit of comedy and lighter moments to split up those tense moments. Those release moments also really help with theater experiences in particular imo. I'll never forget hitting up Paranormal Activity on opening night and how the theater would go from laughing together to everyone sighing and tensing up when we cut from day to night. The laughs felt like they actually opened the audience up and made the night time scares more effective while I was in the crowd (and then the impact was gone watching solo at home).

That said, it's hard to say I prefer fun when my favorites of all time are Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Shining...but I can make a case for the upsides of adding fun and funny elements.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Ultimately - evoking a sense of fear and foreboding are the characteristics of a horror movie for me. I like the adrenaline/anxiety rush and sense of anticipation with horror. I prefer movies that have a sinister approach to them. and I'm one of those people that will watch the same horror movie 2-3 times and still jump at the parts where I know what will happen lol.
But I like Chucky movies too - which I would consider fun. Tucker and Dale is one of the only horror movies that I genuinely liked for what it was - spoofy and satire.
Overall, I prefer the darkness and despair that comes with horror movies. If I want to laugh or have comedic relief, I'll watch a comedy series as balance.

That’s how I lean but I’m also big on context. If the movie or franchise works for a comedy horror mashup, I’m all for it. But if it doesn’t? Stop trying to do that shyt. I think Freddy from his inception is a dark character and the more comedic you make him, the less interested I become. Nightmare 3 struck a good balance of him being comedic but not too comedic. Everything after that, minus new nightmare, went too far with the comedy which made his fear factor moot. Evil dead 2? Cool. Let ash be that guy. But evil dead can also be serious, as the first movie showed and the remake showed.

But I don’t “need” to have fun with my horror flicks. I’d prefer to be scared first and have fun last

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Nightmare needs to be serious imo. Horror comedy is not meant for this franchise - the worst Nightmares were when they were getting over the top with the theatrics and punchlines. First one was good bc he had the funny one liners but you knew that he wasn't a joke or for play. Just the concept of not being able to go to sleep is terrifying - I would envision myself in the characters. Imagine being deathly tired and you can't do anything about it - if you sleep you die, if you don't sleep - then you body physically gives out and you still would die. The only way out is to fight.
Verbatim :salute:

once he became a stand up comedian?:camby: Them shyts became wacker and wacker. Which is why I love new nightmare. He’s legitimately terrifying in that movie. He’s not here for jokes or games. He just wants to fukk you up

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Scary, so I can have nightmares
This . I need to feel scared and have a sense of mystery - the type of scared where after the movie, I need to check around the house and make sure all the doors in the house are locked, go down to the basement and garage to look around. Then watch something funny or comedic right after it, to take the edge off. :palm: It's like being in a dysfunctional relationship with Fear.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Verbatim :salute:

once he became a stand up comedian?:camby: Them shyts became wacker and wacker. Which is why I love new nightmare. He’s legitimately terrifying in that movie. He’s not here for jokes or games. He just wants to fukk you up
Word. This is the type of shyt that I don't like. Freddy is a worm, I mean seriously???
:martin:

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Do you have a preference for specific franchises? Should nightmare lean more into horror comedy like the latter installments or stick to serious like the first?
As far as the franchises - I would say Saw, The Conjuring- Insidious, Halloween, Friday the 13th and Texas Chainsaw . I prefer ghosts, demonic presence and serial killer franchises over the apocalypse or zombie themes.
Scream franchise imo was the perfect blend of tension, fun and mystery without over the top efforts.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
As far as the franchises - I would say Saw, The Conjuring- Insidious, Halloween, Friday the 13th and Texas Chainsaw . I prefer ghosts, demonic presence and serial killer franchises over the apocalypse or zombie themes.
Scream franchise imo was the perfect blend of tension, fun and mystery without over the top efforts.
Nah. Thats definitely not me.
Theres maybe a handful of ghost tales I like like that.
Zombie fukkery and slasher fukkery are probably my favorite fukkerys.
I just like imagining myself in these scenarios.
Im pretty sure Id die within the first 10 minutes, but its still fun to think about.

morris

Superstar
Daps
This thread makes me ask about 'Dracula Untold'

I liked it and thought it should have had a sequel but it wasn't horror or comedy. Perhaps more action/drama.

I doubt we'll ever get a good Dracula horror movie as white girls love these metrofang faggos.

A horror movie should be just that: horror and terror.

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
I like paranormal shyt. Motherfukkers ready to eat a sandwich and they walk downstairs to the kitchen only to see a loaf of bread levitating. Scary shyt.

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
Just finished Verónica. Might he my favorite movie so far. Every hoprro movie I seen on the N has been stellar.