Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Netflix has a gem of a Korean Thriller/Horror series in The Frog.
MV5BZGM4Y2VhYjMtZGMzYS00YTI5LTk5NWUtMTcxNTJlOGMyZGE2XkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

This synopsis is a rare case of not giving people enough. The show is about a motel owner who is getting a serious case of deja vu from the mysterious woman guest. She reminds him of a man he left stay at his motel in his younger days, a man who turned out to be a serial killer who upended everything in our MC's life just by picking that motel. There's a lot of back and forth from the present to his past.

I've finished three episodes, and I'm hooked.
Had this added to my list on Netflix I'll need to bump it up :ohhh:

West Coast Avenger

West Coastin & Smokin
Daps
Reppin
206 Emerald City
I def wanna hear thoughts on this one. I haven't gotten the chance to check it out yet, but there was some hype for it from the screener crowd.
This was a weird but very interesting movie once I realized what the hell was going on :russ: ....the plot is definitely odd but it's definitely a movie to watch if you're a fan of horror....don't want to drop any spoilers till more of us have watched it cause it definitely needs to be discussed....:dead:....

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
So my notable watches from last weekend start with the good...Oddity is weird and off-beat, but it's a genuine haunted house movie that doesn't shy away from creepy cursed objects, ghostly apparitions, and psychic twin connections. The fact that it's straight horror with a lot of classic trappings makes it a unique horror on my 2024 horror-list.

Summary:
A psychic medium attempts to uncover the truth behind her sister's murder at the site of the crime.

I kinda love that this synopsis gives you so little to work with. The movie starts with a messed up situation, and then we spend the rest of the movie following a medium as she pokes and prods at the story of what happened that night. There are only a handful of characters, and they're very black and white, but it feeds into the neo-gothic atmosphere.

On scare-factor, I REALLY wish that I'd seen the movie in theater. The house is an incredible atmosphere, the sounds are effective, and the scares are well set up. It's got jump scares, but they're not forced. It has creepy tension, but it's never so slow that it just relies on being creepy.

But the plot is flimsy. I think the movie is hurt by having an MC that knows way more than the viewer from basically the outset. It makes the unraveling of the story feel less impactful. The vanilla characters aren't in here to evolve or develop. The actors do a great job, though, and the simplicity of everything lets them set up great scares and ambience.

Bottomline:
I'm checking this off for my favorite horror movie of the year so far. I was looking back on the year, and the only movies I've rewatched from this year are Late Night with the Devil, the First Omen, and Immaculate...but Oddity feels like a classic haunted house gothic mystery modernized, and with an Irish twist. It's proof that GOOD SCARES MAKE GOOD HORROR MOVIES! You don't need complicated plots or major twists...just make it tense and scary, and you've already won.

8 outta 10, I'm already ready to rewatch this on the first stormy night I get. I think people will probably rate some 2024 horrors above this one, but it's my favorite so far.

Quick sidenote if you liked Oddity:
If you liked Oddity, watch Caveat...it's even weirder, and didn't have as much budget, but it matches the tone well and there's an easter egg in the cursed object menagerie that calls back to Caveat.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps

This is in theaters this weekend but also out there. Watched it the other day. One of my absolute favorites of the year.

95% RT. There was no score when I saw it :smugfavre:

@Lootpack

Man I remember all those times we used to hear about red rooms on the deep web :jbhmm:
In there