Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I watched Alien: Romulus, and it's a really good summer movie. When I say summer movie, I mean it's an entertaining but sorta shallow return to the Alien universe. It retreads a bunch of really good ideas from the Alien movies without introducing much new to the formula.

Fede basically took the first half of Alien, and the second half of Aliens, for a mashup of the best parts of those two movies. The quiet parts are completely silent, and the action sequences are badass. The new hybrid creature was freaky as hell to look at, and the new Ripley and Bishop, Rain and Andy, both bodied their performances.

But I think those strengths also are also weaknesses. The new Ash, Rook, is literally Ash again but using a CGI version since Ian Holm passed away in 2020. It was weird and uncanny as hell. That's where the lack of originality is glaring, but I think it lowers the ceiling on the whole product. This joint has a case for third best in the series IMO, but it's not touching the two films it aspires to the most (Alien and Aliens).

Solid 7.5/10 which puts it in my top-three scores for a horror this year...I still don't think anything has felt GREAT yet.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Trap:unimpressed:

....suspenseful, wacky, and preposterous:lupe:

But, some of those up-close and wide-range camera shots reminded me of Hitchcock:patrice:

I noticed the same thing but only because I watched him talk about Hitchckock before I watched the movie.

Two shots that stood out to me as an homage was they showed the British FBI profiler in a side profile and had Josh Hartnett further back but still in focus reacting to her.

Another shot is when we are tight in frame with Josh Hartnett and someone else and then the camera pulls back to reveal a possible way for him to exist. It might be when the floor opens up for the male singer that's not Cudi or it might be in another space. In Psycho this same shot happens when Janet Leigh invites Norman Bates into her Motel room to eat.

I posted this in the thread for Trap but I think it's worth a watch. M Night talks a lot about Hitchcock, modern horror directors, and Spike Lee.

Edit: He didn't talk about the first shot that I referenced. I watched mainly the ones that had horror directors on the channel. The David Cronenberg episode was worth a watch. I also watched these episodes so it's hard to remember who talked about this.

Christopher Nolan & Cillian Murphey
Brad Pitt
Edward Norton
Taiwan Waititi
David Cronenberg
Norman Reedus
Wes Anderson
Michael B Jordan
Michael Bay
Oliver Stone
Ti West( I think it was this one. He also talked about watching Hardcore 1979 which I brought up in here saying it inspired Maxxxine)

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Weekend watches were stacked because I just got back from a vacation and spent the weekend cleaning up and lounging. Here's my watch list over the weekend that I'll get into some thoughts on:
Mind, Body, Soul
Oddity
House on Haunted Hill (The OG version)
Every Secret Thing (not horror, but has murder, mystery, and thrill aspects).

I want to give a little more time and words to Mind, Body, Soul and Oddity. But quick thoughts on the latter two from the list -

House on Haunted Hill still slaps. It's obviously dated, but it does a lot of fun stuff to create a creepy setting. We get some scary descriptions, ghostly appearances, and some early jump scares that are well-crafted. It's must-see for horror enthusiasts, even if only once...it's only an hour and twenty minutes. 7.5 outta 10 for being a classic.

Next up

Every Secret Thing has a stacked cast, and a pretty compelling but frustrating mystery at it's center.
A detective looks to unravel a mystery surrounding missing children and the prime suspects: two young women who, seven years ago, were put away for an infant's death

Two girls get out of juvenile detention over the death of an infant, and within a couple of weeks, a young girl has gone missing with similar traits to the infant. We spend the movie trying to piece together what happened in the past and what's happening with the present missing person case. It's a good mystery, but characters act pretty foolish and are cryptic for no reason...so it's a frustrating viewing, but a pretty good movie. 6 outta 10.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I watched People Under the Stairs for the first time yesterday. Its one of those movies i just never saw, and i saw Shudder had it. So yeah, I don't know how this movies was received back in the day,but this shyt was super goofy. Young Ving Rhames reminded me of Jonathan Majors. LOL
My household watched that movie sooooo much. It's completely nuts, but a fun and crazy ride all the way through.

Speaking of Shudder, you can see they're gearing up for Halloween viewership. They got a nice handful of oldies but goodies that they just made available, People Under the Stairs included.

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
100 - Eraserhead
99 - Night of the Demons (2009)
98 - Torso
97 - Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I have the Key
96 - The Puppet Master:
95 - Puppet Master 2:
94. Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge
93. Hellhouse LLC Director’s Cut
92. Hell House II
91. Dead Alive
90. Urban Legend
89. Hell House III
88. The Fury
87. The Beyond
86. Annihilation
85. Dead and Breakfast
84. Hell House LLC Origins
83. Alien
82. Aliens
81. Aliens 3
80. Aliens Resurrection
79. Late night with the Devil
78. Alien: Covenant
77. Alien: Romulus
76. House by the Cemetery
75. Sorority House Massacre
74. Graduation Day
73. Return of the Living Dead
72. House of 1000 Corpses
71. The Visit
70. Beetlejuice
69. Carrie (2013)
68. The Rage Carrie 2
67. Carrie
66. Pet Sematary
65. Pet Sematary two
64. Dawn of The Dead (2004)
63. Hatchet
62. Strange Darling
61. The Watchers
60. House of the Dead (This MOVIE WAS ASS)
59. I Know What You Did Last Summer

Tell me why why I couldn’t stop thinking about Scary Movie watching I know what you did last summer