Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
84. Hell House LLC Origins: The Carmichael Manor - I don't know how I missed the fourth one. Hell House One and Four put two and three to shame. This shyt had me legit spooked. This series does a great job of making clowns scary lol. There's much tension in this movie. There was a lot of shyt to nitpick but overall a good scare. I hear a new Hell House is in the works. If so, I'm excited.

I always tell people that Hell House is really good, while 2 and 3 are just decent but necessary....because The Carmichael Manor is easily the scariest in the series IMO. But it hits best for people that watched the first trilogy. The scene with the real estate agent on zoom is my favorite scare in all of the Hell House movies.

The next sequel sounds like it'll take place at the fair grounds that they mentioned in the movie. I think that's a GREAT setting for another Hell House movie.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I gave Cold Meat a watch,
A driver saves a waitress from her ex. He continues driving but crashes during a blizzard. Now injured and trapped in a ravine, he spots a beast stalking him. With dwindling time he must find a way to survive the cold and the predator.

As usual, I'll warn that the trailer has some potential spoilers, so skip it unless you don't mind.

My Thoughts:
This movie has a lot going for it. It's got a nice concept with enough twists and turns to keep you on your feet for most of the run time. The acting is solid despite some shoddy dialogue (i'll get into that later), and it makes the most of limited locations.

On the downside, the script itself is clever, but the characters are dumb as dirt. A lot of the action sparks from characters acting dumb, and the dialogue is cringy at times. A few scenes drag longer than they have to, but I'm giving that a pass because each time I let my guard time the plot took a turn into something new and interesting.

Bottom line, it's a flawed film but with enough good ideas and moments to be worth a one-time watch.

These are full spoilers. Stop here if you haven't watched.
I genuinely liked the serial killer surprise, even if it was fairly telegraphed. They introduced it with the trunk reveal that I think was the best of the movie. The wendigo felt like an underused aspect of the story, especially when it bookends the plot.

The fact that the lead actress didn't kill the dude as soon as she had the drop on him is frustrating...granted, we don't have a movie if she bodies him and layers his clothes on to try and stay warm.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I thought the 3rd act was incredibly confusing and/or convoluted. If it just went over my head i'll admit it. But yeah, I don't wanna say too much.

I'll probably still peep it in the near future. Not today, something came up. But I'll let you know if it made any sense to me.

I seen "Longlegs" and, while I liked it, as I sat there watching it I knew it would be divisive. This might be something similar.

Fred.

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
Yea I watched the Assembly Cut last year and enjoyed it more than I did before. Alien 3 was the only one in the series I remembered because I watched it on Comcast VOD not too long ago. I remembered the Xenomorph coming out of a dog and when I was watching it last year I was confused when it came out of an Ox.

Heres and article talking about the differences.
Alien‭ ‬3:‭ ‬Comparing the Assembly Cut to the Theatrical Cut

Here's a more in depth discussion about the differences in an hour long video.

:whoo: I got lucky watching the Assembly Cut. There was too much cut in TC that I felt added to the movie in the AC.
The narrator for this video says he prefers the ending from TC but I dig the Xenomorph not popping out of Ripley's chest. Plus I think it's kinda cheesy in this context that it pops out as soon as she falls to her death lol when realistically it should of happened sooner than that. The dog would have made a better choice though.
They figured out a work around...Resurrection is convoluted as hell, if I remember right. Prometheus and Covenant are too, but Resurrection felt more galling since it followed the best movies of the series and didn't have the redeeming qualities of Prometheus (I kinda hate Covenant tbh).

I always thought Alien 3 got a bad wrap. It's a great setting for an Alien movie with all the prisoners, and it has some really cool sequences. I remember hearing they made a bunch of changes from the director's original vision, so I wonder if that's why it gets dogged so often.

Underwater is like an Alien inspired movie with a bit of the Deep Ones mixed in. Definitely a worthwhile addition to your watchlist, like @Duke Dixon mentioned.
Just watched Resurrection. Easily the weakest out of the Ripley saga. I actually didn't like Ripley's character this time. The idea of bringing her back and having a different personality is good in theory but in practice I wasn't a fan. Older versions of Ripley had way more passion and emotion in general that I felt helped the movies. Her connections with Newt, Mr. Clemons, and even on a smaller scale, Dillion made me care about everyone surviving. Ripley sort of formed a bond with Winona Ryder's character but Ripley in 4 was kinda too cool for school for my liking to bring me that same affect.

Ron Pearlman, Gary Dourdan, and Winona, with the rest of the crew, carried the fukk out of this for me. They were cool and funny as fukk. I wanted to have a space beer with them or some shyt. And thank god most of them survived, it's like the writers knew the film needed it due to the lack on Ripley's character this time around.

I also thought the Aliens sucked this time. It didn't feel special this time. I can't explain it.

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
I always tell people that Hell House is really good, while 2 and 3 are just decent but necessary....because The Carmichael Manor is easily the scariest in the series IMO. But it hits best for people that watched the first trilogy. The scene with the real estate agent on zoom is my favorite scare in all of the Hell House movies.

The next sequel sounds like it'll take place at the fair grounds that they mentioned in the movie. I think that's a GREAT setting for another Hell House movie.

I get they were necessary. 2 and 3 finishes the main story and now we have a Hell House universe where shyt is popping off in different locations.

My problem with 2 is that I didn't care for any of the characters. I thought the possessed chick was the scariest part of the film but when I think about it I don't understand her connection to the movie since she's never used again. Is she supposed to be chick from the first one? I was just so got damn bored with 3. I thought the scene in the credits was the best part lol.

4 only focused three characters and somehow pulled it off. My issues were the car not starting and all those fukkers in the woods. Shouldn't everything happen inside the mansion? How are they allowed to roam around outside the area like that?

I saw Cuckoo over the weekend. It just wasn't for me i guess. :francis: The RT and IMDB ratings have it higher that i would put it and they have it in the 6/10 -7/10 range.
I'm excited to check this out. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on this. But all that I keep hearing is that it's really weird af so I'm fukking in.

This reminds me of how the reviews on Longlegs are so mixed.

I wonder what films from this time period will age well. A lot of horror movies are usually shytted on or unsuccessful in the box office but become highly praised or cult classics later.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
I thought the 3rd act was incredibly confusing and/or convoluted. If it just went over my head i'll admit it. But yeah, I don't wanna say too much.
i saw it with my friend and they're into
birds, so she gave me the run down with the entire bird/cuckoo motif

movie was fukking weird as hell though overall.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I get they were necessary. 2 and 3 finishes the main story and now we have a Hell House universe where shyt is popping off in different locations.

My problem with 2 is that I didn't care for any of the characters. I thought the possessed chick was the scariest part of the film but when I think about it I don't understand her connection to the movie since she's never used again. Is she supposed to be chick from the first one? I was just so got damn bored with 3. I thought the scene in the credits was the best part lol.

4 only focused three characters and somehow pulled it off. My issues were the car not starting and all those fukkers in the woods. Shouldn't everything happen inside the mansion? How are they allowed to roam around outside the area like that?
Yeah, 2 and 3 kinda lay a foundation so that the Hell House Universe can expand out. With Carmichael Manor being so good, it makes up for the way those two dragged along.

2 really felt like "we had these ideas but couldn't fit them into the first plot." You can feel them running out of new ideas after some pretty good early moments. 3...I basically skip it these days.

I think 4 showed the benefits of a smaller cast. We got to know the characters a bit better and there was way more room to build mysteries about the manor and the ghosts. The cult having a bit of "we're everywhere all the time" vibe is definitely a problem.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
:patrice: