Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Last night I watched As Above, So Below 2014

The movie is better than the RT score. I'm normally not a fan of found footage movies but the story really kept me interested. Its kind of plays like a horror version of Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider/Uncharted for me. I don't know how historically accurate the movie was or if they took liberties with the lore that they used for inspiration. There's one good part that in here that really makes you feel the claustrophobia.

Only 2 "scares" didn't hold up for me but the budget was between 5-10 mil so that's ok. Maybe one part at the end seems rushed when Scarlett runs back and forth by herself. Either way the positives outweigh the negatives. If you never watched it before like me, I'd recommend it as it gives you something new.

If they ever do a sequel I'd like for them to do it like IJ/TR/UC and go to another location and tackle another lore/fable. I feel like that's something that could be explored more, and there's a lot of untapped potential.

I watched some more Maika Monroe movies in preparation for Long Legs and because there was a thread on reddit saying she was in the top 3 for current scream queens.

The Guest 2014

Was a cool movie for me. Theres a definite tone shift. If you're not into over the top movies I don't think you'd like this. To me the movie was like if Captain America became a slasher instead of a superhero.

Villains 2019

I actually enjoyed this movie a lot. More like a Dark Comedy than a horror if I'm being honest. Maika Monroe and Bill Skarsgård had great chemistry. The shots that were of the two of them face to face with her hair over him were good. Burn Notice did a good job in the movie too.

The Watchers 2024

I ain't really like it.
Still trying to figure out the reverse exit-out-entry sequence:fire: in As Above So Below:huhldup::whoo::ohhh::damn:

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
I tried out a throwback anthology that's about as 70's as it gets...

The screenplay is based on short stories, and written by, Robert Bloch aka the author of Psycho. It stars Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing in two of the four shorts. So, we're talking 70's horror to its core. That's true for the stories too...they're a little cheesy and predictable. The villainous characters are indeed villains, and the twists come from a mile away. But the performances and humor make it decent anyway.

It's nothing great, but a decent film that does a good job of capturing the period in horror. 5.5 outta 10

Amicus!!!!
The Lee story is fantastic!

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
It was definitely the standout of the anthology for me, with the Vampire Costume in second. I've heard Amicus ran the anthology game of that era, and I'm gonna run through a few more of their films when I get the chance.
Please do, from beyond the grave is my favourite along with tales from the crypt. Vault of horror is a guilty pleasure.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
@Duke Dixon did you notice in Ma they straight up leave one of them in the burning house :russ:

Yea the preacher's daughter. Idk why she was there in the 1st place.

Man the whole ending is a mess. Why even go back? It's not that hard to find a place to drink as a teen. They could just pull their money together and get a hotel room. Or just not drink:why:

West Coast Avenger

West Coastin & Smokin
Daps
Reppin
206 Emerald City
This was a good one.....I'd say more of a thriller than horror.....but once you find out the plot twist.....:damn:....
MV5BYjFjZmVjMTQtNmJmNS00ZDI2LTkxZGEtOTA5MTgwMjM2ZTFiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM1NjM2ODg1._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
After watching In a Violent Nature, I've wanted to revisit some older Slasher Deconstruction flicks. So, my first two picks were the OTHER slasher deconstructions that operate from the killer's perspective...You Might Be the Killer and Behind the Mask: the Rise of Leslie Vernon

First, You Might Be the Killer:

The trailer doesn't convey how much comedy is in this movie. It's a pure horror-comedy with a lot of little ad-libs that make up some of my favorite jokes. The movie itself is almost a combination of the Mask with Jim Carrey and Friday the 13th. The main character unwittingly puts on a cursed mask, and essentially becomes Jason Voorhees. When he takes off the mask, he forgets that it was him, and half the comedy comes from him having flashbacks to what he did in the mask.

It's all jokes, buy makes for a really fun movie. Pay attention to the mask's whispers as it encourages the MC to kill because its trash talk is hilarious.
6.5 out of 10

Behind the Mask: the Rise of Leslie Vernon

Most horror heads are familiar with this, but I'll keep bringing it up in case someone missed out. A documentary crew follows Leslie Vernon around as he prepares to stage his own slasher movie. Sure, we get to see Michael Myers on Halloween, but we don't get to see all the preparation that he put in behind the scenes. Leslie has to pick out a final girl, slip her clues into his backstory, and plot out all of his kills and traps. It's all done with humor and love for the genre.

This one has a bit more depth too. Leslie has his own backstory, and the documentary crew deals with their own bouts of guilt over watching things unfold. There's a neat little twist that makes the final act some fun. Plus we get a cameo from the legend, Robert Englund, as Leslie Vernon's version of Dr. Loomis.
7.5 out of 10...I stan this film.

I really like these deconstructions. I'll probably rewatch Final Girls and maybe throw in the original Scream in the near future. Maybe I'll throw in The House that Jack Built and Maniac for non-slasher deconstructions of psychopaths in horror.